ImageImageImageImageImage

We need to go back to last years style of play

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,012

We need to go back to last years style of play 

Post#1 » by Dark Faze » Mon Nov 2, 2015 2:26 pm

I was as excited about a full season of what we were able to do in the playoffs last year as anyone, but its becoming increasingly clear that the current starting lineup is not conducive to either sustainability or general success.

Brad Beal has gotten better mostly on his own. New style of play is giving him a little more space to operate, but for the most part his off-season work, willingness to now take threes off the dribble and minimizing the long two is what is adding to his game more than anything. I can't see it suffering with a return to last years style of play. With too many possessions given pace of play, his defense has suffered--he can't play like that for an entire season without injury. We need to slow things down.

John's great right now, but assist numbers are down despite having more shooters on the perimeter. John can do well in either offense though.

Gortat is struggling in this offense. Field goal percentages are very low, and he's got very few chances at put backs, offensive rebounds, etc with such a perimeter oriented offense.

Hump shouldn't be starting. Gives you nothing but a three or two a game but he can't do anything off a close out--if you can't get to the rim off a close out then your whole offense breaks down.

Play Temple. Neal isn't good right now and is high usage. Temple has improved his three ball and is capable of guarding starting level guards, let alone bench players.

Get Oubre in the rotation. Second unit needs athleticism and defense more than anything right now. If this means Dudley falls out of the rotation for a bit fine, because we need to fix our defense before anything else.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Re: We need to go back to last years style of play 

Post#2 » by TheSecretWeapon » Mon Nov 2, 2015 3:21 pm

This doesn't make much sense to me. They're three games into a new style, and it makes sense that there will be a few hiccups, especially at first.

That said, the bottom line in the NBA is talent. The Wizards better players, especially at PF.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,356

Post#3 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 2, 2015 3:38 pm

Dark Faze wrote:I was as excited about a full season of what we were able to do in the playoffs last year as anyone, but its becoming increasingly clear that the current starting lineup is not conducive to either sustainability or general success.

Um. We've played 3 games so far and won 2 of them... on the road. There is nothing that is "increasingly clear".

The system is fine. Even in our loss to New York, we took more 3's, more shots in the paint, and more free throws. We just couldn't hit them. Basketball is a hard sport. Things don't always go according to plan.

Our biggest problem right now is that people not named Bradley Beal have combined to shoot 15/51 from 3-point range. That's 29%. This is both a feature and a bug of the system. With greater reliance on the 3-point shot, there is likely to be greater variance in our success. We're probably going to have more "good wins" than last year, while also having more "bad losses".

I would like to see Dudley get into more of a basketball rhythm. Right now, his high bball IQ has been an asset, but his shot is rusty. He's likely to get a little better in the next few games. Also, Porter has been slumping after a sensational preseason. It's too early to tell if it's just normal fluctuations, or if opposing defenses are doing something to impact his game. I think it's the former. He's just missing more open looks that he made in the preseason and last year in the playoffs.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#4 » by Higga » Mon Nov 2, 2015 3:40 pm

My concern is that the D seems to be struggling. We've scored a ton the last two games but also given up a ton. Ideally we'd get last years D with a new more productive O but I'm not sure I'm willing to sacrifice the D. That's what wins in the playoffs(of course you want both like Golden State but not we don't have that kind of roster).
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#5 » by nuposse04 » Mon Nov 2, 2015 3:42 pm

I probably won't really start getting worried until 15-17 games in. The guys aren't 100% yet nor have they really got things going. There will be some OMGWTFNO losses along the way, but those are necessary growing pains.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#6 » by Higga » Mon Nov 2, 2015 3:47 pm

We've also had a weird schedule. Two road games to open, and our home opener was the 2nd game of a back to back. Also the teams we played aren't bad. Orlando seems to be improved big time with Skiles(took OKC to Double OT)and the Knicks blew out the Bucks, the same Bucks we had to rally late to beat(and the Bucks were picked by a lot to actually do better then us this season).
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#7 » by keynote » Mon Nov 2, 2015 3:50 pm

I'm not sure it makes much difference which offense we use, seeing as the sky is falling.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#8 » by tontoz » Mon Nov 2, 2015 4:02 pm

Given that our bigs lack mobility I wouldn't be surprised if the "pace and space" just becomes "space". I am fine with taking more 3s but I am not so sure this team will be effective with a faster pace.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#9 » by Rafael122 » Mon Nov 2, 2015 4:35 pm

My concern is the defense, maybe things will even out. Maybe. But defense was our bread and butter, and we've allowed over 100 points in 2 of the first 3 games. Problem is you can't start Nene b/c he hurts the flow of the game and the spacing is terrible, but Humphries is a matador on defense yet he has a 3 point shot that opposing teams might have to respect.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM

Post#10 » by TheSecretWeapon » Mon Nov 2, 2015 4:40 pm

Higga wrote:My concern is that the D seems to be struggling. We've scored a ton the last two games but also given up a ton. Ideally we'd get last years D with a new more productive O but I'm not sure I'm willing to sacrifice the D. That's what wins in the playoffs(of course you want both like Golden State but not we don't have that kind of roster).

The Wizards rank 19th in defense so far, but they're defensive efficiency is about the same as it was last year. That said, offensive efficiency and defensive efficiency don't correlate. Playing a different style on offense should not cause the team to play worse on defense, UNLESS the new system is taking up a bigger share of practice time. In which case, the right answer is to give everything time. It's a LOOOOOONG season, and it's not like the Wizards are going to miss the playoffs or something -- at least not in the East. The goal then is to have everything coming together in April. This is a time for patience.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM

Post#11 » by TheSecretWeapon » Mon Nov 2, 2015 4:43 pm

tontoz wrote:Given that our bigs lack mobility I wouldn't be surprised if the "pace and space" just becomes "space". I am fine with taking more 3s but I am not so sure this team will be effective with a faster pace.

The data last season showed a small tendency for the Wizards to be more efficient offensively in slower-paced games. The defense seemed to be about the same regardless of pace.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

TheSecretWeapon
RealGM

Post#12 » by TheSecretWeapon » Mon Nov 2, 2015 4:47 pm

Rafael122 wrote:My concern is the defense, maybe things will even out. Maybe. But defense was our bread and butter, and we've allowed over 100 points in 2 of the first 3 games. Problem is you can't start Nene b/c he hurts the flow of the game and the spacing is terrible, but Humphries is a matador on defense yet he has a 3 point shot that opposing teams might have to respect.

Points allowed isn't a useful thing to look at because the pace of games has gotten significantly faster so far. This season, the Wizards have the 8th fastest pace at 101.8 possessions per 48 minutes. They're one of 11 teams playing at 100 possessions per 48 minutes or faster; league average is 98.6. Last season, the Wiz were 18th at 93.7 possessions per 48; GSW was the fastest team at 98.3 (about where league AVERAGE is this season); and league average was 93.9.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,162

Post#13 » by AFM » Mon Nov 2, 2015 4:56 pm

Yes, well when half our players have dad bods, maybe the increased pace is causing them to get winded and half ass it on D?

Just a THOUGHT you statistical savant. Does your system account for BF%? Both Neal and Dudley are pushing 20% BF I'm sure.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM

Post#14 » by TheSecretWeapon » Mon Nov 2, 2015 5:02 pm

AFM wrote:Yes, well when half our players have dad bods, maybe the increased pace is causing them to get winded and half ass it on D?

Just a THOUGHT you statistical savant. Does your system account for BF%? Both Neal and Dudley are pushing 20% BF I'm sure.

Yeah, Dudley is kinda pudgy, isn't he? A Knicks fan tweeted me during the game that Dudley looks like he hasn't lifted a weight in five years. Hard to argue with that. As for Neal, he doesn't look overweight to me. He's just (unsurprisingly) not good. They'd be better off giving his minutes to Temple.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

AFM
General Manager

Post#15 » by AFM » Mon Nov 2, 2015 5:53 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:
AFM wrote:Yes, well when half our players have dad bods, maybe the increased pace is causing them to get winded and half ass it on D?

Yeah, Dudley is kinda pudgy, isn't he? A Knicks fan tweeted me during the game that Dudley looks like he hasn't lifted a weight in five years. Hard to argue with that. As for Neal, he doesn't look overweight to me. He's just (unsurprisingly) not good. They'd be better off giving his minutes to Temple.

Gary Neal's ass is bigger than most rap video girls. Bigger than Seraphin's IMO. Look for it next time you're watching, you'll be surprised. Dude has ass for days!
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#16 » by fishercob » Mon Nov 2, 2015 6:00 pm

I think it's VERY important to draw sweeping conclusions based on a three game sample.

Jared Dudley has had a Lebron/Dwight Howard physique his entire career and his game is heavily reliant on athleticism. Also, there's no reason I can think of that he'd be behind on his conditioning.

If we lose to the Spurs on Wednesday -- which would be a bad loss no matter how you look at it -- we should tank.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
AFM
General Manager

Post#17 » by AFM » Mon Nov 2, 2015 6:11 pm

Behind on his conditioning? He went full dreamer bulk this off season. Sorry, I didn't know having a mild injury meant you had to eat 2 lbs of fettucine every day, swimming in alfredo sauce. You just KNOW this dude was ecstatic when McDonald's announced they'll be serving breakfast all day now. Blows my mind you can be a professional athlete and let yourself go like that.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#18 » by tontoz » Mon Nov 2, 2015 6:25 pm

AFM wrote:
TheSecretWeapon wrote:

Gary Neal's ass is bigger than most rap video girls. Bigger than Seraphin's IMO. Look for it next time you're watching, you'll be surprised. Dude has ass for days!

Methinks you are spending too much time looking at Neal's ass.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,356

Post#19 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 2, 2015 6:33 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:Playing a different style on offense should not cause the team to play worse on defense, UNLESS the new system is taking up a bigger share of practice time. In which case, the right answer is to give everything time. It's a LOOOOOONG season, and it's not like the Wizards are going to miss the playoffs or something -- at least not in the East. The goal then is to have everything coming together in April. This is a time for patience.

I suppose that the faster pace and the constant pushing on the fast break is wearing players out - particularly the big men, which could lead to slower rotations and more overall laziness on D.
AFM
General Manager

Post#20 » by AFM » Mon Nov 2, 2015 6:39 pm

tontoz wrote:
AFM wrote:
TheSecretWeapon wrote:Yeah, Dudley is kinda pudgy, isn't he? A Knicks fan tweeted me during the game that Dudley looks like he hasn't lifted a weight in five years. Hard to argue with that. As for Neal, he doesn't look overweight to me. He's just (unsurprisingly) not good. They'd be better off giving his minutes to Temple.

Methinks you are spending too much time looking at Neal's ass.

I haven't gotten laid in months. Can you blame me? Dude could be a Wizards girl.

Return to Washington Wizards