John Wall doesn't seem all that happy

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Pitbull
Pro Prospect
And1: 16

John Wall doesn't seem all that happy 

Post#1 » by Pitbull » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:38 am

Michael Lee article for The Vertical posted on Yahoo:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/four-days-with-john-wall---i-ain-t-trying-to-waste-a-season-164836324.html

Love the competitive talk and there was lots of positive stuff in there, but....

--“I don’t think we were throwing [the season] away but it kind of felt that way because we had nine guys on one-year contracts. We definitely want to win, we don’t want nothing to drop.”

and

--Just two summers earlier, the Wizards were criticized for giving Wall a five-year, $80 million extension after he was coming off a serious knee injury. The deal has begun to look like a bargain with Wall being an All-Star compared to some contracts signed last summer. But he also noticed, "I'm getting the same as Reggie Jackson."

and

--Having established himself as one of the best players in basketball, Wall has grown frustrated with his relatively low profile nationally and in Washington. Wall has few endorsements and became a sneaker free agent when his contract with adidas expired last September. He feels the limited exposure contributed to him finishing sixth in All-Star voting for Eastern Conference guards one year after finishing first.

“The type of player I am, and person I am, character I have, I should be seen on commercials, in the nation’s eyes and the people’s eyes. And I haven’t,” Wall told The Vertical. “I want to leave a legacy and you can’t leave a legacy hiding behind the doors, and I think that’s what I did my first six years really. It ain’t like I want to be bigger and better than anybody, I just think it’s an opportunity to be seen. Where’s my little share?”

For Wall, the change is startling considering his popularity after one season at Kentucky, where “I was everywhere,” Wall said. “I ain’t got no billboards in D.C.”

No good :noway:
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Re: John Wall doesn't seem all that happy 

Post#2 » by dangermouse » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:01 pm

Play better then.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,017

Post#3 » by dckingsfan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:48 pm

My wife was commenting that has seemed really frustrated this season... I would say she is not a bball fan - so if she sees it, that isn't good.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#4 » by Rafael122 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:20 pm

He probably had ECF aspirations and now they may not even make the playoffs. I'd rather have someone who's pissed off than not care.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#5 » by closg00 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:46 pm

I feel really bad for the guy, look at the revolving cast of players he has been-through and the org is still spinning its wheels as he is entering his prime. How could he possibly have faith in a future with this org as-long as Ted/Ernie are running things?
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#6 » by tontoz » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:57 pm

I don't feel bad for him. He is getting paid big money to play a game.

Having said that if I was in his shoes I would definitely leave when his contract is up unless major changes are made (EG fired, Durant signed).
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,906

Post#7 » by TGW » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:02 pm

dangermouse wrote:Play better then.

He's the last person on the team this statement needs to be targeted at. The rest of the team needs to play better because everyone else on the team, for all intensive purposes, range from average to suck.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#8 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:03 pm

And do it consistently. But if you're seriously going to whine publicly about your 8 digits a year contract... maybe we're rooting for the wrong guy.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#9 » by dlts20 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:19 pm

Wall has made some good points about us punting for KD but people make too big of a deal out of these things. With or without KD, we have money to spend next year should be alot better especially with a different coach.

Most of all Wall needs to realize that he also has a hand in and it's not too late to change his fate. He will get mad exposure from a playoff run after the last 2 years and KD may really consider us again if they flame out and we pull another upset.

I just want to see how we look with our real lineup. Start Beal and Morris. Come off the bench with Sessions, Anderson, Dud, and Nene. That's it. Maybe some Neal but I'm the only one who likes him more than Temple. I love Oubre but we all know Witt is not going to play him. I'm just sick of these crazy lineups why we lose. Stop bringing Beal off the bench, restriction or not. Morris is part of our young future so start him now and let's see what we do
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#10 » by Rafael122 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:29 pm

There's only like 5 players the NBA markets, maybe less. Curry and Lebron for sure, so Wall shouldn't feel slighted that he's not up there w/the Currys and Lebrons of the world, because who is?

He's a 3 time all star, former slam dunk champion, former top overall pick. He's had a really good career so far, the whole thing about marketing...maybe don't let your boys run your business and hire professionals? DC doesn't do billboards anyway.
dlts20
RealGM

Post#11 » by dlts20 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:34 pm

Please stop with the 8 figure comments. I hate fans who hate on players because of the money they make. He's in the NBA and that's what they get paid. I remember my brother use to be broke and always hate on athletes who complained. He used to say that if he made a million then he wouldn't be upset at anything. Then he got his own business and now makes a million but all he does is talk about how he should be making more.He is getting paid what gihis job entails and shouldn't be muted for that. If you want to get upset about his play or wanting more endorsements then fine but don't hate on him just because he's a millionaire and you aren't
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,012

Post#12 » by Dark Faze » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:48 pm

He's overestimating his marketability. It's why I thought he made a mistake getting rid of his last agent--dude got him a signature shoe deal, several commercials, and was voted in as an all-star starter under him. His agent overachieved imo.

John isn't good enough. You've got to be really really effing good to some of these endorsements. He's just not there yet.
dlts20
RealGM

Post#13 » by dlts20 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:54 pm

Well I think he sees commercials with Lillard and Deandre Jordan and thinks he should get that
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,163

Post#14 » by AFM » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:57 pm

Rafael122 wrote:There's only like 5 players the NBA markets, maybe less. Curry and Lebron for sure, so Wall shouldn't feel slighted that he's not up there w/the Currys and Lebrons of the world, because who is?

He's a 3 time all star, former slam dunk champion, former top overall pick. He's had a really good career so far, the whole thing about marketing...maybe don't let your boys run your business and hire professionals? DC doesn't do billboards anyway.

He's going somewhere that does really big billboards next contract. Dallas maybe? I heard everything is bigger in Texas, yessiree!!!
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,012

Post#15 » by Dark Faze » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:08 pm

dlts20 wrote:Well I think he sees commercials with Lillard and Deandre Jordan and thinks he should get that

Lillard is probably the main guy he compares himself too. Similarly accomplished on the court--but fairly eclipsed endorsement wise. Reason is that Damian has a great stage presence. Good speaker. Can sell products. Wall has been terrible in most commercials I've seen him in.
dlts20
RealGM

Post#16 » by dlts20 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:15 pm

Let's be real. Most of this is just hype men in his ear. "Why you don't have a billboard John? You have more team success then the Skins and individuals. Why you don't have commercials John? You are one of the most exciting players in the league. Why are they punting this season for KD when you are one of the top players in the league? They can win big just putting guys around you. You could be KD yourself if you had just a lil more talent around you but they don't really respect you like that. Some other city would love to have you and treat you like the star that you are. Not the Wiz fans who are quiet inside the arena unless it's for a chicken sandwich but they are always loud and negative when they leave and say that you suck".....lol
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#17 » by nate33 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:16 pm

I think his words are being twisted to build the narrative that Wall is unhappy. I don't see it all.

* Saying that he doesn't want to waste a season is a good thing, not an expression of unhappiness.

* Complaining about Reggie Jackson's salary was merely a musing on how the NBA's rapidly escalating salary have thrown things out of whack. The Wizards paid Wall as much as they possibly could as early as they possibly could. There is no reason to perceive any ill will there.

* The issue about the billboards in DC is the only thing that is worth worrying about. I don't understand it either. Wall is certainly a marketable star and an exciting player to watch, even if he isn't a first tier superstar like a Curry or Lebron. Why doesn't Ted try to market him more?

* As far as his national profile is concerned, that's on him. His team has made the 2nd round of the playoffs twice. The first time around, Wall played really badly in the playoffs and had to be carried to the 2nd round by Beal, Ariza and Gortat. Last year, he played better (about as good as his regular season), but still not as well as Beal, Pierce and Gortat; and he missed most of the series against Atlanta.

Wall is a top 12-20ish player in the league, and he gets roughly the market exposure of a top 12-20ish player. Should he get more exposure than, say, Mike Conley or Kyle Lowry? Is he objectively better than those guys or has he carried his team to more success?
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#18 » by Rafael122 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:20 pm

nate33 wrote:I think his words are being twisted to build the narrative that Wall is unhappy. I don't see it all.

* Saying that he doesn't want to waste a season is a good thing, not an expression of unhappiness.

* Complaining about Reggie Jackson's salary was merely a musing on how the NBA's rapidly escalating salary have thrown things out of whack. The Wizards paid Wall as much as they possibly could as early as they possibly could. There is no reason to perceive any ill will there.

* The issue about the billboards in DC is the only thing that is worth worrying about. I don't understand it either. Wall is certainly a marketable star and an exciting player to watch, even if he isn't a first tier superstar like a Curry or Lebron. Why doesn't Ted try to market him more?

* As far as his national profile is concerned, that's on him. His team has made the 2nd round of the playoffs twice. The first time around, Wall played really badly in the playoffs and had to be carried to the 2nd round by Beal, Ariza and Gortat. Last year, he played better (about as good as his regular season), but still not as well as Beal, Pierce and Gortat; and he missed most of the series against Atlanta.

Wall is a top 12-20ish player in the league, and he gets roughly the market exposure of a top 12-20ish player. Should he get more exposure than, say, Mike Conley or Kyle Lowry? Is he objectively better than those guys or has he carried his team to more success?

Does Conley get any exposure at all? Lowry is in a bigger market, arguably, but he's gotten more hype because his team is 2nd in the East.

Also we're missing something here: lack of national TV games. I'm pretty sure ESPN and TNT bumped us off every game they had except 1. If we could get 5-10 national TV games a year, it wouldn't be so bad.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#19 » by FAH1223 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:21 pm

TGW wrote:

He's the last person on the team this statement needs to be targeted at. The rest of the team needs to play better because everyone else on the team, for all intensive purposes, range from average to suck.

John has been good but he can be consistently better and his defense hasn't been as good as last year.

He should be pissed because he played like absolute garbage in November.

And if he was on CP3's level, he could probably dictate things to Ted...
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#20 » by TheSecretWeapon » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:25 pm

Maybe it's time for my annual "John Wall ain't as good folks think" piece.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.

Return to Washington Wizards