ImageImageImageImageImage

It Is Now Officially Time to Part Ways With Ernie Grunfeld

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

The Consiglieri
Starter
And1: 510

Re: It Is Now Officially Time to Part Ways With Ernie Grunfeld 

Post#241 » by The Consiglieri » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:09 am

JWizmentality wrote:I can't begin to fathom the size of this man's balls. To sit up there and feed people a constant cycle of bull. I just felt numb when this man said he considers Morris our draft pick. I'm seriously considering being done with this team

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

When you read things like those transcripts it's really impossible to justify remaining a fan of the team. A team that is willfully stupid? How can one choose to support it? I know we do, but really how can one justify it at this point. I'd prefer to move on as well at this point, just doubt i can reject it completely, maybe the best i can do is simply stop paying any attention until they get a clue.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#242 » by closg00 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:46 pm

The Consiglieri wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:I can't begin to fathom the size of this man's balls. To sit up there and feed people a constant cycle of bull. I just felt numb when this man said he considers Morris our draft pick. I'm seriously considering being done with this team

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

When you read things like those transcripts it's really impossible to justify remaining a fan of the team. A team that is willfully stupid? How can one choose to support it? I know we do, but really how can one justify it at this point. I'd prefer to move on as well at this point, just doubt i can reject it completely, maybe the best i can do is simply stop paying any attention until they get a clue.

Basically the only thing we have as fans is hoping that we get lucky with Ernie's next group of guys and that the new group will make the playoffs, that is all that Ted wants anyway.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,162

Post#243 » by AFM » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:27 pm

nate33 wrote:
BigA wrote:
gtn130 wrote:Looking at three years of drafts and concluding that the Wizards would have a 66.6% hit rate is pretty weak. The number is likely closer to 50%, and lol at any presumption that the draft isn't rife with randomness. It is.

The number is probably closer to 5-10%.

To me, the strongest argument for the trade is that as long as Ernie is the GM, the likelihood that the Wizards get an average or above player with any pick outside the top 5 is very low. Much lower than what the historical experience of other GMs has been in recent years. We need to compare the actual prospective value of a pick that Ernie is making vs. the abstract prospective value of a pick being made by a random average GM.

It probably makes sense for the Wizards to trade/sell every pick outside the top 3-5 based on Ernie's drafting record.

This is a strangely logical argument.

Of course, the fact that this argument holds up only proves that EG needs to fired.

This is exactly what I said the day of the trade.
EG has devalued draft picks so much, since he's almost guaranteed to blow the pick, that he essentially got Morris for nothing.
He traded a future bust and cap filler for a decent NBA player, so really he's a genius.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#244 » by payitforward » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:32 pm

gtn130 wrote:
TheSecretWeapon wrote:
gtn130 wrote:
I'm not making that argument at all. Grunfeld has done a terrible job. I just don't think the Morris trade is that bad all things considered.

Boston has a top 2 coach on the entire planet, so they're able to make a lot of things work that most franchises wouldn't. Their drafting hasn't been great tho. They just butchered the 2015 draft by taking Rozier 50 spots too high.

Don't have time to look deeply into their drafting, but I suspect they've done a pretty good job with the draft.

Their drafting has been ok. Smart, Olynyk and Sullinger are the best players they've drafted in the Brad Stevens era. Their 2015 class doesn't look good, but it's early.

Boston's future is so bright largely because they were able to scam a world class terrible GM in Billy King. Because of that, they've been able to compete while still having the ability to draft elite talent. They're either going to leverage their draft assets by trading them for a star or drafting one. What I'm getting at is that while Boston may be a smart franchise, they're also clearly pretty lucky. Without acquiring those picks they're a middling team that can only be so good.

I don't think anything they've done validates Ted's plan. And let's not kid ourselves, his plan isn't about winning a championship -- it's about selling playoff tickets while never ever having to tank. Mark Cuban is effectively doing the same thing but he's a little bit smarter and was also able to acquire a top level elite HOFer early on.

The thing is -- and this is why I think you're wrong, gtn -- pretty much every GM has to succeed *in spite of* his owner's dumb ideas. And Ernie could have. Instead, he made a series of horrendous moves in the draft, he signed awful FAs, and he made trades that reflected *his* -- not Ted's -- failures along the "young players to develop" line that TSW mentions.

As to the Morris trade, if your only point is that it isn't the worst move Ernie has made, then there's little point in debating it. It was a lousy trade, and it was a trade for a lousy player too. And, no surprise, it didn't achieve its foolish goal either. That's bad enough for me; I don't need it to be even worse than that!

You also seem to be off base about Boston. They didn't trade for youth by being *lucky.* They did it by being smart. For that matter, they haven't had the ability "to draft elite talent" either. They've just drafted reasonably well when their turns came up, and used their multiple picks to maneuver their drafting position a little.

Note that Boston also won a title by trading youth for veterans, right? Because they had a window -- and in that case, yes, you can argue it was "luck" (i.e. a friend running Minny) that got them Garnett to make that possible.

Cuban isn't "a little bit smarter;" he's *a lot* smarter. Note that Dallas won a title recently.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gtn130
Analyst
And1: 2,740

Post#245 » by gtn130 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:15 pm

payitforward wrote:
gtn130 wrote:
TheSecretWeapon wrote:Don't have time to look deeply into their drafting, but I suspect they've done a pretty good job with the draft.

Their drafting has been ok. Smart, Olynyk and Sullinger are the best players they've drafted in the Brad Stevens era. Their 2015 class doesn't look good, but it's early.

Boston's future is so bright largely because they were able to scam a world class terrible GM in Billy King. Because of that, they've been able to compete while still having the ability to draft elite talent. They're either going to leverage their draft assets by trading them for a star or drafting one. What I'm getting at is that while Boston may be a smart franchise, they're also clearly pretty lucky. Without acquiring those picks they're a middling team that can only be so good.

I don't think anything they've done validates Ted's plan. And let's not kid ourselves, his plan isn't about winning a championship -- it's about selling playoff tickets while never ever having to tank. Mark Cuban is effectively doing the same thing but he's a little bit smarter and was also able to acquire a top level elite HOFer early on.

The thing is -- and this is why I think you're wrong, gtn -- pretty much every GM has to succeed *in spite of* his owner's dumb ideas. And Ernie could have. Instead, he made a series of horrendous moves in the draft, he signed awful FAs, and he made trades that reflected *his* -- not Ted's -- failures along the "young players to develop" line that TSW mentions.

As to the Morris trade, if your only point is that it isn't the worst move Ernie has made, then there's little point in debating it. It was a lousy trade, and it was a trade for a lousy player too. And, no surprise, it didn't achieve its foolish goal either. That's bad enough for me; I don't need it to be even worse than that!

You also seem to be off base about Boston. They didn't trade for youth by being *lucky.* They did it by being smart. For that matter, they haven't had the ability "to draft elite talent" either. They've just drafted reasonably well when their turns came up, and used their multiple picks to maneuver their drafting position a little.

Note that Boston also won a title by trading youth for veterans, right? Because they had a window -- and in that case, yes, you can argue it was "luck" (i.e. a friend running Minny) that got them Garnett to make that possible.

Cuban isn't "a little bit smarter;" he's *a lot* smarter. Note that Dallas won a title recently.

You seem to be off base about literally everything. Not one person on the planet wouldn't have made that trade with Billy King. It's not a matter of how SMART Boston is -- it's that they were in the right place at the right time to make a slam dunk no-brainer trade. EG or any other loser GM would have made the exact same move.

I also enjoy how you say that every GM has to succeed in spite of their owner's dumb ideas and then proceed to talk up Mark Cuban's intelligence. What you're saying doesn't make any sense, and in any regard, not every GM in the NBA is forbidden from tanking.

I'd love to hear how the Wizards will turn into a contender with a maxed Wall and Beal and without the ability to acquire a lottery pick. Nobody is signing here. We don't have tradeable assets that any other team values. Our one single out is signing KD. Otherwise it's 35-45 wins for eternity.
McFilthy
Sophomore
And1: 108

Post#246 » by McFilthy » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:04 pm

I read a post on Bullets Forever that I loved, so have to share it. I am paraphrasing...

A college basketball player entered the NBA draft and was worried he would go undrafted in the 2nd round. So he has decided to change his name to "Cash Considerations" in hopes that Ernie/Ted will draft him or trade for him by accident.
- by a BF poster there called "disgrunted"
Sluggerface
Bench Warmer

Post#247 » by Sluggerface » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:35 pm

FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#248 » by FAH1223 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:49 pm

Sluggerface wrote:Image

Incredible. Explains why he has a grade of D as the President of the Washington Wizards.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#249 » by payitforward » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:12 am

gtn130 wrote:
payitforward wrote:
gtn130 wrote:

You seem to be off base about literally everything. Not one person on the planet wouldn't have made that trade with Billy King. It's not a matter of how SMART Boston is -- it's that they were in the right place at the right time to make a slam dunk no-brainer trade. EG or any other loser GM would have made the exact same move.

I also enjoy how you say that every GM has to succeed in spite of their owner's dumb ideas and then proceed to talk up Mark Cuban's intelligence. What you're saying doesn't make any sense, and in any regard, not every GM in the NBA is forbidden from tanking.

I'd love to hear how the Wizards will turn into a contender with a maxed Wall and Beal and without the ability to acquire a lottery pick. Nobody is signing here. We don't have tradeable assets that any other team values. Our one single out is signing KD. Otherwise it's 35-45 wins for eternity.

Oh, we couldn't be more in agreement about your last paragraph's points. For the rest, not interested in the fight you seem to want to pick.

You are certainly right that Billy King's portrait is right next to the dictionary entry for "bad GM."
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#250 » by payitforward » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:13 am

LOL -- that is great!
McFilthy
Sophomore
And1: 108

Post#251 » by McFilthy » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:31 pm

Nice find Sluggerface. What's the source?

I see Grunfeld gives the same due diligence to scouting potential draft picks and screening coaching candidates as he did for going to class. Nice to have such an over-achiever in the front office.
Sluggerface
Bench Warmer

Post#252 » by Sluggerface » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:56 pm

McFilthy wrote:

Nice find Sluggerface. What's the source?

I see Grunfeld gives the same due diligence to scouting potential draft picks and screening coaching candidates as he did for going to class. Nice to have such an over-achiever in the front office.

Pat Summit's autobiography I think.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#253 » by FAH1223 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:11 am

.... sigh
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#254 » by truwizfan4evr » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:13 pm

FAH1223 wrote:

Incredible. Explains why he has a grade of D as the President of the Washington Wizards.

I'm sure Dwight gave him the d also. :wink:
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#255 » by montestewart » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:41 pm

Look how old this thread is, like "It Is Now Officially Time to Part Ways With Ernie Grunfeld" forever
Eli Babak
Senior
And1: 506

Post#256 » by Eli Babak » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:35 pm

I wonder where we'd be if Ernie was fired after 2015-16 season. **** Ted and his "plan".

Roster for that season was terrible:

Wall/Sessions/Temple
Beal/Neal/Anderson
Porter/Oubre/Eddie
Dudley/Humphries/Gooden
Gortat/Nene/Blair

Wittman struggled and should've been fired when he lost the locker room but instead Ernie panicked and made that awful trade for Morris. :banghead: I hate that man and his moustache (though I wish I could grow a beard).
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#257 » by FAH1223 » Thu Feb 7, 2019 4:43 am

Read on Twitter
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#258 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Thu Feb 7, 2019 7:27 am

This is a nightmare. What does this guy have to do to get fired?!?
Eli Babak
Senior
And1: 506

Post#259 » by Eli Babak » Thu Feb 7, 2019 8:10 am

**** OFF!!!!
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#260 » by montestewart » Thu Feb 7, 2019 12:44 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

(Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word) (Please Use More Appropriate Word)

Return to Washington Wizards