Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Re: Official Trade Thread - Part XXXI 

Post#1941 » by gambitx777 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:28 pm

payitforward wrote:
Meliorus wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:Can we just say no on trading porter. We has no threat of losing him in FA because he is a RFA. He is a top 10 SF probably close to top 5. how often do you get top ten, possible top 5 players at their positions? not often. You hold on to the with everything you got. If we want to go all in. We need to fix the bench any starters moved will not truly fix the problem. We can fix the bench with out moving a starter or Kelley or Tomas, but its going to take moving picks and im ok with that as long as its not a stupid trade.

Porter is the 6th best SF in the league, right behind Butler, Lebron, Kawhi, Giannis, and Durant.

He's a little higher than Ariza, Hayward, and Paul George (having a down year) in terms of on-court impact, but it's debatable. Add in the factor of fit and Otto is perfect for the Wizards. Beal and Porter compliment Wall perfectly, and all 3 should be untouchable.

Ignore the box score stats, Chandler is a career loser whose teams are better when he's off the court. The dude is posting a negative DRPM and a negative RPM.

Why ignore the box score stats?

TS%
otto -- .632
wc -- .531

Turnovers per 48m
otto -- 1.1
wc -- 2.5

Steals per 48m
otto -- 2.2
wc -- 1.2

Wilson Chandler is not "a pretty good player" as someone called him. He's a pretty bad player. The idea of Porter for Nurkic & Chandler is a nightmare.

Chandler is not trash, nor is he a bad player. He is a low level starter or a good bench level guy. He shoots well, he plays ok D and he can play 2 positions of need. Is he worth trading a pick or porter for, no. Is he worth a pick when traded with nurkic and nealson and dumping a bad contract. yes. Yes he is.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1942 » by gambitx777 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:32 pm

Just an FYI on all the mello lovers I am pretty sure he openly said he never wants to play in Washington DC.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#1943 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:32 pm

I'd trade Morris/Gortat/Nicholson for Anthony, Justin Holiday and O'Quinn. Our starting 5 would be Wall, Beal, Porter, Anthony and Mahinmi.

Bench includes O'Quinn, Oubre, Satoransky, Burke, and Holiday. This is assuming Ian is healthy enough to play.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Meliorus
Analyst
And1: 1,185

Post#1944 » by Meliorus » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:42 pm

Rafael122 wrote:I'd trade Morris/Gortat/Nicholson for Anthony, Justin Holiday and O'Quinn. Our starting 5 would be Wall, Beal, Porter, Anthony and Mahinmi.

Bench includes O'Quinn, Oubre, Satoransky, Burke, and Holiday. This is assuming Ian is healthy enough to play.

Anthony is pretty good when he operates almost exclusively as a catch and shoot player. If he assumes the role he had in the Olympics, that would be interesting.

Doubt he would be willing to do that. Too much pride to be regulated to a 2nd/3rd option. We have no time for his isolation pull-up jumpers.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1945 » by gambitx777 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:59 pm

Mello I am pretty sure does not want to be here. Plus he would not move the needle enough to really change anything. Because he will need to change the way he plays with wall. He will be effective but not as high scoring as he used to be.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,319

Post#1946 » by NatP4 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:39 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
stevemcqueen1 wrote:
So your solution is to replace Otto with a guy who is a far worse defender? Just to add a back up C?

It's a terrible idea. It loses us a ton of value. Never trade paper for coins.

Especially when you have Oubre right behind Otto who provides the type of defense Otto can struggle with every once in awhile. And Otto can defend 4s

Neither Oubre nor Otto can solve our defensive issues in the frontcourt. No one else sees that locking into a core with 30+yo big men is a problem?

No I hear you on the frontcourt thing. But I just think Otto and Oubre are a defensive nightmare for teams when they're on the court TOGETHER. They complement each other perfectly.

I generally agree with your reasoning behind trades, or why we should make a trade, just not the trade itself. Otto is a top level player.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#1947 » by Dat2U » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:28 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
stevemcqueen1 wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:Agreed nate, if we could trade just our pick for Nurkic I would have done that yesterday.

But I'm still a bit uneasy about Otto's impending contract status. If we were going to move OP, Chandler is a player I'd definitely view as a worthy replacemnt.

He isn't even remotely a worthy replacement. Flipping Porter for Chandler and Nurkic would be a disastrously bad trade.

Chandler is quite a good player. He doesn't shoot it like Otto but he's equal or better at everything else. One of the best rebounding wings in the league, high IQ cutter, great in transition, nice heads up passer.

And with his strength/athleticism he's better at defending 3/4s than Otto is.

If we were getting him AND Nurkic to round out our core with a young defensive big man, I would be pretty satisfied. I'm of the opinion that people are underrating the need on this team for defensive players. If we could exchange offense (Porter) for two starters who can defend + contribute offensively I consider that a win.

Not saying we have to trade Otto, we can keep him and roll with an offense-based team. But I challenge anyone to explain to me how the core of this team will ever be in the top-half of the league defensively, if Otto is our best defender at the 3-5 positions.

You keep making it about Otto, just like most of Bulletsforever. As if Otto is the problem and paying him, not the $120+ million we blew this past offseason or all the draft picks we wasted, will doom us mediocrity.

Denver is -3.5 points per 100 possessions worse defensively with Chandler on the floor. The Wizards are +4.1 points per 100 possessions better defensively when Porter is on the floor. Otto ranks 11th among SFs in DRPM. Wilson Chandler is 73rd out of 80 SFs at DRPM. Your reasoning that somehow Chandler is a better defender seems incorrect. But you've been consistently wrong concerning Otto as he's proven you and many others wrong at every turn so this is nothing new.

Denver is a whopping -11.2 points per 100 possessions worse offensively with Nurkic on the floor. So maybe he isn't necessarily contributing offensively. He ranks 61 out of 69 Cs at ORPM.

Trading Otto in any scenario likely makes us worse. His efficiency as a wing is unmatched with the possible exception of Kevin Durant. He's proven to be an elite NBA shooter. You say Chandler is a high IQ cutter but there's no mention of Otto's exceptional IQ and timing on his cuts. You mention Chandler is great in transition. Otto has proven to be elite finishing in transition but there's no acknowledgement of that. Chandler is a marginally better rebounder. Otto has him beat in nearly every other statistical measure.

Nurkic may be talented but he isn't very effective. Nurkic is a downgrade to Gortat and potentially even Mahinmi as a starting center at this point.

This is not a good trade.
Meliorus
Analyst
And1: 1,185

Post#1948 » by Meliorus » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:31 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:
stevemcqueen1 wrote:
He isn't even remotely a worthy replacement. Flipping Porter for Chandler and Nurkic would be a disastrously bad trade.

Chandler is quite a good player. He doesn't shoot it like Otto but he's equal or better at everything else. One of the best rebounding wings in the league, high IQ cutter, great in transition, nice heads up passer.

If we were getting him AND Nurkic to round out our core with a young defensive big man, I would be pretty satisfied. I'm of the opinion that people are underrating the need on this team for defensive players. If we could exchange offense (Porter) for two starters who can defend + contribute offensively I consider that a win.

Not saying we have to trade Otto, we can keep him and roll with an offense-based team. But I challenge anyone to explain to me how the core of this team will ever be in the top-half of the league defensively, if Otto is our best defender at the 3-5 positions.

You keep making it about Otto, just like most of Bulletsforever. As if Otto is the problem and paying him, not the $120+ million we blew this past offseason or all the draft picks we wasted, will doom us mediocrity.

Denver is -3.5 points per 100 possessions worse defensively with Chandler on the floor. The Wizards are +4.1 points per 100 possessions better defensively when Porter is on the floor. Otto ranks 11th among SFs in DRPM. Wilson Chandler is 73rd out of 80 SFs at DRPM. Your reasoning that somehow Chandler is a better defender seems incorrect. But you've been consistently wrong concerning Otto as he's proven you and many others wrong at every turn so this is nothing new.

Denver is a whopping -11.2 points per 100 possessions worse offensively with Nurkic on the floor. So maybe he isn't necessarily contributing offensively. He ranks 61 out of 69 Cs at ORPM.

Trading Otto in any scenario likely makes us worse. His efficiency as a wing is unmatched with the possible exception of Kevin Durant. He's proven to be an elite NBA shooter. You say Chandler is a high IQ cutter but there's no mention of Otto's exceptional IQ and timing on his cuts. You mention Chandler is great in transition. Otto has proven to be elite finishing in transition but there's no acknowledgement of that. Chandler is a marginally better rebounder. Otto has him beat in nearly every other statistical measure.

Nurkic may be talented but he isn't very effective. Nurkic is a downgrade to Gortat and potentially even Mahinmi as a starting center at this point.

Trading for players on the Nuggets is like begging for bad defense. The team is 28th in points allowed and I spot 0 plus-defenders in their rotation. Jokic is very bad. Faried is garbage. Gallinari is bad. Chandler is bad. Barton is bad. Mudiay is very bad. Harris is bad. Nurkic is decent I guess but he doesn't even play.

Trading with the Nuggets is like choosing from a dumpster fire of bad defense.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#1949 » by Dat2U » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:33 pm

Rafael122 wrote:I'd trade Morris/Gortat/Nicholson for Anthony, Justin Holiday and O'Quinn. Our starting 5 would be Wall, Beal, Porter, Anthony and Mahinmi.

Not sure why they'd that poo poo platter of slop for Carmelo. I'd do that trade in a heartbeat and start O'Quinn until Mahinmi is ready.

However NY has little need for Gortat and probably wouldn't touch Nicholson. They'd probably want a young asset or pick as well.
Hidden Eye
Pro Prospect
And1: 370

Post#1950 » by Hidden Eye » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:51 pm

Sato + 2020+2021 1st rounders for Brandon Knight.

#Jolt
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,319

Post#1951 » by NatP4 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:09 am

Hidden Eye wrote:Sato + 2020+2021 1st rounders for Brandon Knight.

#Jolt

Sato is better than Knight
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#1952 » by payitforward » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:21 am

gambitx777 wrote:...
Chandler is not trash, nor is he a bad player. He is a low level starter or a good bench level guy. He shoots well, he plays ok D and he can play 2 positions of need. Is he worth trading a pick or porter for, no. Is he worth a pick when traded with nurkic and nealson and dumping a bad contract. yes. Yes he is.

Well... every player has a value, so sure you can come up with a trade in which it would be ok to take on Wilson Chandler. But you can say that about pretty much any player.

Is he a "low level starter." No. He had a couple of seasons scattered through his career where you might conclude that, but not this year that's for sure. Is he a "good bench player?" This season, no. & especially not at the $$ he makes. Not even close.

Should we want Chandler & Nurkic for e.g. Nicholson & our 2017 R1 pick? No thanks. Those guys aren't certain to make us much better if at all, & that pick is quite likely in the lottery. This is a heck of a draft. I want another R1 pick -- not to get rid of ours.

I am intrigued by Nurkic, & his development could prove me altogether wrong about giving up the pick. But it's not worth making the bet.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1953 » by payitforward » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:24 am

#Jolt

You forgot the green font, right?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#1954 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:35 am

Dat2U wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:
stevemcqueen1 wrote:

How am I making it about Otto? The discussion involves Otto because it just so happens that his impending contract extension will be the last shoe to drop. Porter is the player who's salary is about to quadruple in 6 months, and will take this team over the luxury tax for the next 4 years. Otto isn't a problem, he is a great kid .. this is a big picture topic about the future of the franchise and you're missing the forest for the trees by trying to make it a personal issue.

Of course trading Otto right now will make us worse for this season. He has better chemistry with the team than anybody we'd be bringing in. But in the long run, shouldn't someone be asking how this team is going to move forward with three max contract perimeter players (with only one of them at the All-NBA/perennial All-Star caliber) and an aging, declining frontcourt, and awful bench?

Will Nurkic still be a downgrade to Gortat in two years? Will he even be a downgrade by next year? How exactly do you envision the Wizards acquiring longterm frontcourt starters after Otto's contract takes them over the luxury tax? And keep in mind that frankly, Washington has a timeline of appproximately two years to figure out this team-build unless Wall signs an early extension ahead of time. So hoping to suddenly find the next Embiid with our 2017 draft pick isn't the answer. You're missing the big picture of why Wiz fans have been suggesting these kinds of trades.

As far as Chandler's defense, I generally form my opinions on a player from a combination of watching games + comparing stats+ listening to the opinions of people who watch said player more often than I do (Locked on Nuggets Podcast with Adam Mares is great, as well as his twitter feed). The impression I've gotten is that Chandler has solid defensively ability at the 3/4 - though a little overpowered against bigger 4s- but is generally playing in a terrible system with awful guard defenders and weird rotations like playing Faried at center. Denver is designed to run up and down and score points. Obviously you can take it or leave it, it's an opinion.. but personally I highly doubt Otto would be putting up positive defensive numbers if he was playing on that Nuggets team.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1955 » by gambitx777 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:18 am

payitforward wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:...

Well... every player has a value, so sure you can come up with a trade in which it would be ok to take on Wilson Chandler. But you can say that about pretty much any player.

Is he a "low level starter." No. He had a couple of seasons scattered through his career where you might conclude that, but not this year that's for sure. Is he a "good bench player?" This season, no. & especially not at the $$ he makes. Not even close.

Should we want Chandler & Nurkic for e.g. Nicholson & our 2017 R1 pick? No thanks. Those guys aren't certain to make us much better if at all, & that pick is quite likely in the lottery. This is a heck of a draft. I want another R1 pick -- not to get rid of ours.

I am intrigued by Nurkic, & his development could prove me altogether wrong about giving up the pick. But it's not worth making the bet.

16.5 PPG, 45% from the field and 34 % from 3 and 7 rebounds a game on 30 minutes per game (cut that a bit off the bench but there are plenty of minutes for him.) At 12 mill a year for a guy who is likely to get 20-30 minutes off the bench is not all that terrible. yes you can nit pick the advanced stats of a player on a bad team, but he is at the level of a solid, good bench player. If we were able to dump nicholson or mahinmi I would for a first round pick (maybe 2017/2018/2019) and some seconds (2017/2018), to get chandler/nurkic/nealson I would jump all over that. Maybe we pull away one of thir young 2 guards too, but its a deal worth making to fix the bench. You in no way can say that nurkic is not an upgrade because he is, Mahinmi has not played and nurkic is better than any other center on the team, Chandler is better than any other back up 4 we have and he is better than thornton for sure, nelson puts burke to shame, and its a definite upgrade to the bench.!
Hidden Eye
Pro Prospect

Post#1956 » by Hidden Eye » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:39 am

NatP4 wrote:

#Jolt

Sato can't score like Knight can gonna take him few years to get there. Knight would cut down Walls minutes to 31-32. #Jolt.His contract is very friendly for team building.
payitforward wrote:

#Jolt

No green font.
Hidden Eye
Pro Prospect

Post#1957 » by Hidden Eye » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:41 am

Hidden Eye wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

#Jolt

Sato can't score like Knight can gonna take him few years to even get close to him. Knight would cut down Walls minutes to 31-32. #Jolt.His contract is very friendly for team building.
payitforward wrote:

#Jolt

No green font.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1958 » by payitforward » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:52 am

Hidden Eye wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

#Jolt

Sato can't score like Knight can gonna take him few years to get there. Knight would cut down Walls minutes to 31-32. #Jolt.His contract is very friendly for team building.
payitforward wrote:

#Jolt

No green font.

Uh huh.... Knight is owed $55m through June 2020, & he has been just an awful player. & you want to give not just one but two R1 picks plus a player for him. Got to be the all time worst trade suggestion on this Board. Certainly the worst in the 4.5 years I've been here. By a lot.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,162

Post#1959 » by AFM » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:11 am

payitforward wrote:
Hidden Eye wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

payitforward wrote:You forgot the green font, right?

No green font.

Uh huh.... Knight is owed $55m through June 2020, & he has been just an awful player. & you want to give not just one but two R1 picks plus a player for him. Got to be the all time worst trade suggestion on this Board. Certainly the worst in the 4.5 years I've been here. By a lot.

You hear that sound whistling over your head?
Hidden Eye
Pro Prospect

Post#1960 » by Hidden Eye » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:49 am

payitforward wrote:
Hidden Eye wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

payitforward wrote:You forgot the green font, right?

No green font.

His contract is much better than 99% of current contracts today and is a steal for his production. He can Score which is what the 2nd unit needs. What option do you for a Backup PG that can score over 10 points you have then?

Return to Washington Wizards