ImageImageImageImageImage

Bradley Beal signs five-year, $128 million maximum contract to stay with the Washington Wizards

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 552

Re: Bradley Beal signs five-year, $128 million maximum contract to stay with the Washington Wizards 

Post#41 » by daSwami » Fri Jul 1, 2016 7:58 pm

Dumb.
:banghead:
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Re: Bradley Beal signs five-year, $128 million maximum contract to stay with the Washington Wizards 

Post#42 » by pineappleheadindc » Fri Jul 1, 2016 8:45 pm

#ThanksErnie #ThanksTed

#GrunfeldProvesDoubtersWrong
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#43 » by JWizmentality » Fri Jul 1, 2016 9:43 pm

He aint that much better (if at all) than Evan Fournier. Same age, without the injury history and can at least shoot a 3 off the dribble. Yet one is paid like Steph Curry and the other like Seth Curry. This some straight grade A horsesh*t.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#44 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Fri Jul 1, 2016 9:55 pm

:banghead:

I just don't understand the rush to throw the max at him. It's like Ernie thought he was unrestricted. Why not wait and see what offers he gets, you can always match. And he couldn't have possibly gotten an offer as big as this.

Wall has to be annoyed, has anyone seen a response from him yet? It seems he leaves it all out there for this team, even playing with a broken hand, while Beal goes down with any contact and makes statements about not taking any chances with his long term health. It seemed to me this was a root of developing conflict between the 2 last season. I remember one play Beal went down and rolled around on the court in pain for about 10 minutes, and when he got up Wall tapped him on the head and was like you're fine let's go with a annoyed look on his face, and Beal proceeded to walk to the bench. With his issue of "stress injuries" this contract is kind of crazy.

I'm interested to see what Barnes gets as I see him as comparable talent to Beal and also a RFA, although without the health issues.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#45 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jul 1, 2016 10:07 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote::banghead:

I just don't understand the rush to throw the max at him. It's like Ernie thought he was unrestricted. Why not wait and see what offers he gets, you can always match. And he couldn't have possibly gotten an offer as big as this.

Wall has to be annoyed, has anyone seen a response from him yet? It seems he leaves it all out there for this team, even playing with a broken hand, while Beal goes down with any contact and makes statements about not taking any chances with his long term health. It seemed to me this was a root of developing conflict between the 2 last season. I remember one play Beal went down and rolled around on the court in pain for about 10 minutes, and when he got up Wall tapped him on the head and was like you're fine let's go with a annoyed look on his face, and Beal proceeded to walk to the bench. With his issue of "stress injuries" this contract is kind of crazy.

I'm interested to see what Barnes gets as I see him as comparable talent to Beal and also a RFA, although without the health issues.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/johnwall/status/748921774549590016[/tweet]
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#46 » by Dat2U » Fri Jul 1, 2016 10:23 pm

Although stats may say differently, Barnes is not a comparable talent. Barnes is a low usage role player who gets nothing but wide open look next to Curry, Thompson & Green. Beal is forced to be a 1st/2nd option here in DC. I seriously doubt Beal would disappear in the playoffs like Barnes did.

I honestly wouldn't want Fournier at the price he got either. He's more one dimensional than Beal and is universally known as a wretched defensive player. For me the biggest gripe about the Beal deal considering the crazy marketplace were in is that 5th year.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,950

Post#47 » by CobraCommander » Fri Jul 1, 2016 10:23 pm

FAH1223 wrote:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/johnwall/status/748921774549590016[/tweet]

This is Wall basically saying...NOW YOU ARE THE HIGHEST PAID PLAYER NOW....you lead us in points, assist and games played-
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,950

Post#48 » by CobraCommander » Fri Jul 1, 2016 10:54 pm

Wait...this means we should have signed BEAL LAST YEAR and saved millions in the long run :(
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,112

Post#49 » by J-Ves » Sat Jul 2, 2016 12:11 am

CobraCommander wrote:Wait...this means we should have signed BEAL LAST YEAR and saved millions in the long run :(

Beal wouldn't of accepted a deal last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#50 » by payitforward » Sat Jul 2, 2016 1:39 am

JWizmentality wrote:He aint that much better (if at all) than Evan Fournier. Same age, without the injury history and can at least shoot a 3 off the dribble. Yet one is paid like Steph Curry and the other like Seth Curry. This some straight grade A horsesh*t.

Actually, Fournier got $85m for 5 years today. Not what Beal is making, but Seth Curry can only dream of that kind of $ at this point.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#51 » by pineappleheadindc » Sat Jul 2, 2016 1:42 am

This signing is so difficult to swallow that not even Millie is around to defend it. That should tell you all you need to know about it.

We've got 6 guys under contract and no draft picks thanks to Ernie's "genius". And now we have to fill out our roster via free agency in a contract environment where Roseanne Barr can pull in MLE money.

This is entirely and completely the fault of Ernie Grunfeld and his thin-skinned enabler, Ted Leonsis.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."

--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"

- Yoda
ZaelleDC
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#52 » by ZaelleDC » Sat Jul 2, 2016 1:47 am

TGW wrote:All of these deals are complete ****. Every team that sits out this free agency period wins.

Management sits out of free agency, you blame them for not being aggressive enough. They spend money locking up a drafted asset top SG who's best years are ahead of him and you blame management for overpaying when in reality we paid market value? Makes no sense
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,163

Post#53 » by AFM » Sat Jul 2, 2016 1:50 am

ZaelleDC wrote:
TGW wrote:All of these deals are complete ****. Every team that sits out this free agency period wins.

Management sits out of free agency, you blame them for not being aggressive enough. They spend money locking up a drafted asset top SG who's best years are ahead of him and you blame management for overpaying when in reality we paid market value? Makes no sense

We just want to know. Are you Zach, Elle, or Ted?
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#54 » by JWizmentality » Sat Jul 2, 2016 2:18 am

ZaelleDC wrote:

So tell me, what phase of the 10pt plan are we in?
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#55 » by LyricalRico » Sat Jul 2, 2016 3:26 am

LyricalRico wrote:And I'm figuring they wanted to be able to use Beal in recruiting whomever their other targets are/were, so they did whatever it took to get it wrapped up ASAP rather than wait and match a 4-year offer a few days from now.

Seems that was the case.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/749080333048377344[/tweet]
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#56 » by gambitx777 » Sat Jul 2, 2016 4:02 pm

I hate to be that guy but, he is not signed yet, he is not putting his name on paper until, we use our cap room. Plus we did offer him a deal last year, we tried he did not accept.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#57 » by nate33 » Sat Jul 2, 2016 4:26 pm

gambitx777 wrote:I hate to be that guy but, he is not signed yet, he is not putting his name on paper until, we use our cap room. Plus we did offer him a deal last year, we tried he did not accept.

He didn't accept last year because we offered him something in the $14M a year range. He's getting $25M now.

And he hasn't signed the paper because we are preserving cap room. The alternative to signing is to walk away from a $130M deal and instead take the $11M qualifying offer. The odds of that happening are zero.
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 369

Post#58 » by Silvie Lysandra » Sat Jul 2, 2016 9:25 pm

At this point, our only real hope is a few miracles.

Wall takes a huge leap, at least to the level of impact pre-injury Gilbert Arenas had.
Beal's is a late bloomer like Klay Thompson (who was even worse than Beal until the age of 24)
We sign Horford and he gives us Pau Gasol type production
Porter because Jimmy Butler, or at least an elite 3 and D glue guy.

They CAN happen but they're not very likely.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#59 » by tontoz » Sat Jul 2, 2016 10:01 pm

No deals can be signed until the 7th because of the moratorium.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#60 » by nate33 » Sat Jul 2, 2016 10:48 pm

Chaos Revenant wrote:At this point, our only real hope is a few miracles.

Wall takes a huge leap, at least to the level of impact pre-injury Gilbert Arenas had.
Beal's is a late bloomer like Klay Thompson (who was even worse than Beal until the age of 24)
We sign Horford and he gives us Pau Gasol type production
Porter because Jimmy Butler, or at least an elite 3 and D glue guy.

They CAN happen but they're not very likely.

Wall has peaked. Indeed, last year, he was a fair bit worse than in his 3 prior seasons. The best I'm hoping for is the Wall of 2 years ago.

Klay was way better in his 3rd season than Beal was in his 4th. And Klay is a much better defender. I think Beal will improve a bit from his current level, but not by all that much. I think it's 50/50 that he ever makes an All Star game in his career.

My big hope is Porter. He has improved every season and has shown no signs of slowing down. I think he could have a Paul George type of progression, although not quite up to the same level.

Return to Washington Wizards