Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXIII

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Re: Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXIII 

Post#341 » by gambitx777 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:45 am

pineappleheadindc wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:So...where is our PG?!?!? That was our biggest need!! :banghead: :banghead:

Ernie Grunfeld.

Well EG played SG, but he did have a few years where he was more productive that burke!
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#342 » by dangermouse » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:03 am

There has to be a veteran PG out there with playoff experience somewhere that we can sign as insurance incase Sato isnt working out come playoff time.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#343 » by gambitx777 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:21 am

dangermouse wrote:There has to be a veteran PG out there with playoff experience somewhere that we can sign as insurance incase Sato isnt working out come playoff time.

Norris cole, Donald Sloan, Chalmers.
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,255

Post#344 » by deneem4 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:34 am

We should've been able to bogdaanovic for 2 2nds...Ernie is a really bad gm as far as making trades and signings..
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#345 » by gambitx777 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:37 am

That would be fair if all we got was Bogdanavic. but we also dumped a bad contract and got Chris who is probably better than nicholson and 5 years younger and 5 million cheaper.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,447

Post#346 » by mhd » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:17 pm

EG's next line of cleaning up his own mistakes will be finding a sucker to take on Mahinmi. I'd rather have Mozgov then Mahinmi. At least he can make his FTs!
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#347 » by payitforward » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:55 pm

gambitx777 wrote:That would be fair if all we got was Bogdanavic. but we also dumped a bad contract and got Chris who is probably better than nicholson and 5 years younger and 5 million cheaper.

You're letting Erne off kind of easy there -- why did we need to dump a bad contract? Because Ernie signed a bad player longterm to much more than he was worth.

As to McCullough being better than Nicholson, younger, cheaper, etc. -- irrelevant. What does a comparison with Nicholson have to do with this kid? Glad we got him, don't get me wrong. But he is very much a long shot.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#348 » by gambitx777 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:12 pm

I think worst case for out room exception is
Jimmer or Norris cole
exceptable would be Chalmers or calderon or Sloan
Best case, is Rondo
TheBlackCzar
Freshman
And1: 14

Post#349 » by TheBlackCzar » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:05 am

Why didn't we go after DeMarcus Cousins.. I mean damn these sorry ass dudes ya'll keep dreaming over analytically aren't winning a damn thing.....

We need more star power, and if Wall wasn't a factor in the mix I'd honestly be singing a different tune, but to sit here and accept that what has transpired with this team in the last 12 months isn't beyond insane I don't know what is...

THE ONLY GOOD MOVE has been to sign Scott Brooks... No draft picks, overpaying for Morris even though I think he's an alright player, no KD visit, panicking and giviiing Ian Mahimi 16 a year, wtf is that.... Nicholson also was trash... I mean all that could've chhanged if we'd offered our 1st and Mahimi and somebody else.. 2nd or whatever.. I mean damn Cousins got traded for a pack of ketchup and mustard.....

We'd have been a problem with Wall, Beal, Otto, Morris and Cousins.....Gortat, Burke, Oubre, Smith, etc doesn't look as pitiful as it has been. Now Ted has to stop being a cheap bitch and roll out the doe.... Winning would've solved so many issues.... Now we're again nwithout a 1st with Bogdan... Is this the damn twilight zone... Trump is President, and the Wizards continue a streak of ineptness beyond statistical possibilities.... Thank goodness you can spark a damn J up in peace at least at the moment...
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#350 » by gambitx777 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:42 am

TheBlackCzar wrote:Why didn't we go after DeMarcus Cousins.. I mean damn these sorry ass dudes ya'll keep dreaming over analytically aren't winning a damn thing.....

We need more star power, and if Wall wasn't a factor in the mix I'd honestly be singing a different tune, but to sit here and accept that what has transpired with this team in the last 12 months isn't beyond insane I don't know what is...

THE ONLY GOOD MOVE has been to sign Scott Brooks... No draft picks, overpaying for Morris even though I think he's an alright player, no KD visit, panicking and giviiing Ian Mahimi 16 a year, wtf is that.... Nicholson also was trash... I mean all that could've chhanged if we'd offered our 1st and Mahimi and somebody else.. 2nd or whatever.. I mean damn Cousins got traded for a pack of ketchup and mustard.....

We'd have been a problem with Wall, Beal, Otto, Morris and Cousins.....Gortat, Burke, Oubre, Smith, etc doesn't look as pitiful as it has been. Now Ted has to stop being a cheap bitch and roll out the doe.... Winning would've solved so many issues.... Now we're again nwithout a 1st with Bogdan... Is this the damn twilight zone... Trump is President, and the Wizards continue a streak of ineptness beyond statistical possibilities.... Thank goodness you can spark a damn J up in peace at least at the moment...

I dissagree, Well I agree with mahinmi he was way over paid. But too be fair, we could have the pick trading has worked out, we have a lot of youth on this team right now so we can hang at the moment and we are making quality UDFA pick ups, honestly No one would have scoffed if McCellan went in the late 20's or 30's in that draft he just happened to not be picked. At the time nicholson was a young PF who still had some promise of usefulness I don't think that deal was horrible probably a mill or two over paid. Honestly the only mistake was not holding out on mahinmi and making him take 11-12 million cuz i doubt he had better offers.
Look man unless you trade out mahinmi and a couole of firsts which would have arguably been better or even with the NO offer, you don't get that much better than gortat. the only way getting DC makes a real difference is if you keep gortat and put him on the bench and don't loose porter, Morris and Kelley, in the process.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,318

Post#351 » by NatP4 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:45 am

TheBlackCzar wrote:Why didn't we go after DeMarcus Cousins.. I mean damn these sorry ass dudes ya'll keep dreaming over analytically aren't winning a damn thing.....

Sounds like a conversation to have when we were 2-8
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#352 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:02 am

Should've strongly considered using Oubre in a trade.

I suggested Oubre for TJ Warren and got laughed at by a few.

TJ Warren's 17 points could've been used last night vs. Philly. Sure beat the 1-5 shooting or whatever it was from Bogdonavich and Oubre's no-show.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Post#353 » by nate33 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:12 am

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:Should've strongly considered using Oubre in a trade.

TJ Warren's 17 points could've been used last night vs. Philly. Sure beat the 1-5 shooting or whatever it was from Bogdonavich and Oubre's no-show.

Nah. I'm content with waiting a bit longer with Oubre. Warren would probably be a bit better in the short term, but Oubre has potential to be an extremely useful player as soon as next year - or perhaps even this year.

Remember how Porter blew up in the last 10 games of his second season and became an indispensable part of the playoff rotation.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,318

Post#354 » by NatP4 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:15 am

nate33 wrote:

Nah. I'm content with waiting a bit longer with Oubre. Warren would probably be a bit better in the short term, but Oubre has potential to be an extremely useful player as soon as next year - or perhaps even this year.

Remember how Porter blew up in the last 10 games of his second season and became an indispensable part of the playoff rotation.

Bingo, Kelly still has plenty of time this season to turn things around. Also Nate, I was curious what you thought the new rotation should be with Bojan? I might've missed you post about it.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#355 » by gambitx777 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:23 am

otto went 1-5 and beal went 2-8 Tj would have had a bad game too more than likely cuz he would have burke setting him up. Bogdan is not in the system yet, and we need a better PG than burek thats the real issue. not bogdan. Stop blaming last nights game on a trade we made or a trade we didn't make, we just blew a game aginst a beatable team, thats all that happened.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#356 » by nate33 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:06 am

NatP4 wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Bingo, Kelly still has plenty of time this season to turn things around. Also Nate, I was curious what you thought the new rotation should be with Bojan? I might've missed you post about it.

I didn't like the Bojan acquisition because I felt that the only way to play him in a position where he is likely to help us (SF) also involves cutting Oubre's minutes. That said, I consider our 3 best non-center bench players to be Oubre, Bojan and Sato. So our 9-man rotation should be the starters plus Oubre, Bojan, Sato and one of either Smith or Mahinmi. Oubre is just going to have to play some SG.

I'd probably do something like this:

Minutes 0-6: Wall, Beal, Porter, Morris, Gortat
Minutes 6-9: Wall, Beal, Oubre, Porter, Gortat
Minutes 10-12: Wall, Sato, Oubre, Porter, Mahinmi

Minutes 13-15: Sato, Oubre, Bojan, Morris, Mahinmi
Minutes 16-18: Sato, Beal, Bojan, Morris, Mahinmi
Minutes 19-24: Wall, Beal, Porter, Morris, Gortat (Oubre can replace Morris if need be)

Repeat in 2nd half

That 3 minute stretch at the start of the 2nd and 4th quarters is rough. Worse case scenario, just throw the ball to Morris and let him iso. Hopefully they can play some tough defense and get some fast breaks. If Mahinmi isn't healthy, play Smith in place of him. But I'm not interesting in seeing Smith at PF alongside Mahinmi.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,447

Post#357 » by mhd » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:19 am

nate33 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
nate33 wrote:Nah. I'm content with waiting a bit longer with Oubre. Warren would probably be a bit better in the short term, but Oubre has potential to be an extremely useful player as soon as next year - or perhaps even this year.

I didn't like the Bojan acquisition because I felt that the only way to play him in a position where he is likely to help us (SF) also involves cutting Oubre's minutes. That said, I consider our 3 best non-center bench players to be Oubre, Bojan and Sato. So our 9-man rotation should be the starters plus Oubre, Bojan, Sato and one of either Smith or Mahinmi. Oubre is just going to have to play some SG.

I'd probably do something like this:

Minutes 0-6: Wall, Beal, Porter, Morris, Gortat
Minutes 6-9: Wall, Beal, Oubre, Porter, Gortat
Minutes 10-12: Wall, Sato, Oubre, Porter, Mahinmi

Minutes 13-15: Sato, Oubre, Bojan, Morris, Mahinmi
Minutes 16-18: Sato, Beal, Bojan, Morris, Mahinmi
Minutes 19-24: Wall, Beal, Porter, Morris, Gortat (Oubre can replace Morris if need be)

Repeat in 2nd half

That 3 minute stretch at the start of the 2nd and 4th quarters is rough. Worse case scenario, just throw the ball to Morris and let him iso. Hopefully they can play some tough defense and get some fast breaks. If Mahinmi isn't healthy, play Smith in place of him. But I'm not interesting in seeing Smith at PF alongside Mahinmi.

I'd rather play Smith regardless. He actually forces people to guard him. Mahinmi is a self-check on offense. We need as many scorers out there with the 2nd unit with the wretched PG play we have. Just play Sato-Oubre-Bojan-Morris (subbed early)-Smith as the bench lineup when Wall/Beal are out. If we are in a rut, Beal could come in early.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#358 » by nate33 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:23 am

The time to go after Cousins will be at the Trade Deadline next year. I predict the Cousins/Davis duo won't work very well and New Orleans will still find themselves playing sub.500 ball by mid-season next year. The losing will frustrate Cousins and he won't be on his best behavior. With his impending unrestricted free agency, New Orleans will take whatever they can get in Cousins trade. We could probably get him for Mahinmi and a pick.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#359 » by payitforward » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:23 am

gambitx777 wrote:...we have a lot of youth on this team right now so we can hang at the moment and we are making quality UDFA pick ups, honestly No one would have scoffed if McCellan went in the late 20's or 30's in that draft he just happened to not be picked.

It would have been a big shock if McClellan had been picked in the 20s or 30s. His agent did have a couple of offers to be picked late in R2 -- if he'd agree to be stashed in Europe for a couple of years. He didn't want that.

As to "a lot of youth," lets start w/ John Wall who is going to turn 27 in a few months. He's not a young player any more. We have 2 young players who are good (Beal & Porter). We have a promising guy in Kelly Oubre. CMC is a long shot, Ochefu/House are non shots, & McClellan has played 250 minutes.

gambitx777 wrote:At the time nicholson was a young PF who still had some promise of usefulness I don't think that deal was horrible probably a mill or two over paid...

I can't believe you wrote that. "At the time," i.e. 7 months ago, Nicholson was exactly what he is now -- a terrible player. We gave $26m guaranteed to a guy who didn't even get a qualifying offer from the team that drafted him, who had been awful for 4 years, & who managed to earn 800 minutes on a 35 win team last year.

Signng Nicholson was a horrible decision; it was obviously immediately what a mistake it was. The fact that it proved out that way during the season is no surprise at all.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#360 » by nate33 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:27 am

mhd wrote:I'd rather play Smith regardless. He actually forces people to guard him. Mahinmi is a self-check on offense. We need as many scorers out there with the 2nd unit with the wretched PG play we have. Just play Sato-Oubre-Bojan-Morris (subbed early)-Smith as the bench lineup when Wall/Beal are out. If we are in a rut, Beal could come in early.

I'd prefer to give Mahinmi another 5 games or so to find his rhythm. But I agree with you that if Mahinmi continues to play like this, we may have no choice but to go back to Smith.

Smith certainly has done nothing to deserve being benched, but it's worth a little investment to see if Mahinmi can regain his form from last year. Last year's Mahinmi is better than Smith without a doubt.

Return to Washington Wizards