Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXIII

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Re: Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXIII 

Post#1361 » by nate33 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:34 pm

Meliorus wrote:Porzingis is going to get traded to the Suns for Bledsoe + 4th pick + Chriss. These crappy offers are not going to do it. Might as well go all in for the Paul George rental (don't give up Otto).

Aldridge is too old for this core.

I wish people would stop trying to go for the quick fix. It doesn't make any sense to go "all in" for a guy like George. Even with George, we're not winning a title, and there will be no way to keep the team together in a salary cap era.

We need to do the exact opposite. Instead of looking to overpay second tier stars superstar money, we need to try and find quality mid-tier players at low salary. Boston is in position to go after Jimmy Butler because they have Avery Bradley, Isaiah Thomas and Jae Crowder who combined make about as much as what Mahinmi and Smith combined make.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1362 » by nate33 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:42 pm

Meliorus wrote:
nate33 wrote:
Jay81 wrote:I think this team is done. We are cooked. We should be looking at trading Wall and Beal and starting over. Just like the butler,antoine jamison and gilbert years....this group will never win a title. We missed on too many draft picks...we blundered to many free agent signinings. Philly will be better than us soon...Boston could be a dynstasy...we are heading the wrong way. We peaked and we cannot get better. Blow it up and rebuild it the right way...with a real GM

Our best players are 26, 23 and 23 and all 3 just had breakout seasons. How can you possibly say we have peaked?

Our reign as a successful tier 2 team in the East is only getting started.

That's a fair and accurate way of putting.

We can't really expect to compete without an MVP caliber player/future HOFer. But I'm not interested in blowing it all up and toiling in the draft for the next 3-5 years in search of one. I'm content to win 50 games a year while trying to stay reasonably young and flexible, and hope for a break - either a surprisingly good late round pick, or a disgruntled superstar looking for a change of scenery. I'd say that that unlikely scenario is still more promising that tanking and hoping to get lucky in the draft.
Meliorus
Analyst
And1: 1,185

Post#1363 » by Meliorus » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:46 pm

nate33 wrote:
Meliorus wrote:
nate33 wrote:Our best players are 26, 23 and 23 and all 3 just had breakout seasons. How can you possibly say we have peaked?

We can't really expect to compete without an MVP caliber player/future HOFer. But I'm not interested in blowing it all up and toiling in the draft for the next 3-5 years in search of one. I'm content to win 50 games a year while trying to stay reasonably young and flexible, and hope for a break - either a surprisingly good late round pick, or a disgruntled superstar looking for a change of scenery. I'd say that that unlikely scenario is still more promising that tanking and hoping to get lucky in the draft.

I've read that many front offices know that they cannot compete with Golden State and are just interested in building a winning culture. Being a 50+ win team and going on deep playoff runs isn't exactly a bad thing. It builds a fanbase. I think that's the thing with teams like the Wizards and the Clippers: they've been mediocre for so long. Their goal isn't to be a contender every year. Just win a lot of games.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#1364 » by Kanyewest » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:55 pm

nate33 wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:Apparently Phil Jackson would trade Porzingis for an equivalent young talented guard aka Brad Beal.

Would you guys do that deal? I probably wouldn't. But the thought of having Kristaps running the 5 with John is very appealing...

Porzingis gets so much hype that you would think he's the second-coming of Dirk Nowitzki. But when I look at his numbers, I'm not all that impressed. He averages 20 and 8 per 36 minutes with a TS% of .546 and a 3P% of .357. That's okay, but not really jaw dropping. Yeah, he's tall and young, so I guess there's room for improvement, but does he really project to be a top 15 overall player in this league? Is he anything more than the next LaMarcus Aldridge?

I feel like it's the product of Porzingis playing in New York more than anything. Someone like Myles Turner is probably as good as Porzingis and slightly younger, but he doesn't have nearly as much hype.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#1365 » by 80sballboy » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:12 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
nate33 wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:Apparently Phil Jackson would trade Porzingis for an equivalent young talented guard aka Brad Beal.

Would you guys do that deal? I probably wouldn't. But the thought of having Kristaps running the 5 with John is very appealing...

Porzingis gets so much hype that you would think he's the second-coming of Dirk Nowitzki. But when I look at his numbers, I'm not all that impressed. He averages 20 and 8 per 36 minutes with a TS% of .546 and a 3P% of .357. That's okay, but not really jaw dropping. Yeah, he's tall and young, so I guess there's room for improvement, but does he really project to be a top 15 overall player in this league? Is he anything more than the next LaMarcus Aldridge?

I feel like it's the product of Porzingis playing in New York more than anything. Someone like Myles Turner is probably as good as Porzingis and slightly younger, but he doesn't have nearly as much hype.

Some of it's NY hype, but again, how many 7-3 guys can do what KP can do? He's also playing with mostly garbage surrounding him, especially at point guard. I do like Turner but he played with Paul George and had a decent supporting cast.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#1366 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:22 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:I would call the bucks and offer a future first and mahini for John Henson. Henson gives you just as much is younger and his contract goes down not up. Idk but I'd do that in a heart beat and I think the bucks are willing to move on from Henson they sour on him so much and he might just need a change of situation. Mahinmi would compliment Monroe pretty well! Make the call EG.

With the cap drop trading that pick for Tim hurts a bit more but it looks like we are going to drop bogz cap hold any day now I imagine.

I'm making a phone call to the kings about kofus and I'm still calling Philly about maybe taking mahinmi off our hands and buys some seconds off them.

I would out out feels about Zeller in Boston. But not sure I want to deal with Boston either.

You are nuts. Henson is a bad player. He will block some shots and make easy buckets. But RPM HATES him and has the past couple years. Low IQ and soft. Mahinmi might be limited, but his IQ is extremely high and he isn't soft.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Piff you of all people should see the value in his contract it drops by about 1.5-2 mill every year he is 26. He blocks shots, rebounds ok. And is good enough for his contract moving mahinmi which is over paid and a health risk this is a no brainier trade
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#1367 » by Dat2U » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:23 pm

My only concern with Porzingis is the propensity to get injured. He does things 7-3 guys aren't supposed to do and he's miscast as an oversized PF. He should be a C and a regular mismatch nightmare for slower bigs. He also doesn't get ball enough. I felt a guy like Derrick Rose stunts his development.

I would deal Beal for Porzingis. Beal has been great but guys like Porzingis don't become available very often. I would also deal Oubre, Gortat. Smith and 3 unprotected 1st rounders for Porzingis & Noah but i doubt the Knicks would bite.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#1368 » by Dat2U » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:25 pm

gambitx777 wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:I would call the bucks and offer a future first and mahini for John Henson. Henson gives you just as much is younger and his contract goes down not up. Idk but I'd do that in a heart beat and I think the bucks are willing to move on from Henson they sour on him so much and he might just need a change of situation. Mahinmi would compliment Monroe pretty well! Make the call EG.

With the cap drop trading that pick for Tim hurts a bit more but it looks like we are going to drop bogz cap hold any day now I imagine.

I'm making a phone call to the kings about kofus and I'm still calling Philly about maybe taking mahinmi off our hands and buys some seconds off them.

I would out out feels about Zeller in Boston. But not sure I want to deal with Boston either.

You are nuts. Henson is a bad player. He will block some shots and make easy buckets. But RPM HATES him and has the past couple years. Low IQ and soft. Mahinmi might be limited, but his IQ is extremely high and he isn't soft.

Piff you of all people should see the value in his contract it drops by about 1.5-2 mill every year he is 26. He blocks shots, rebounds ok. And is good enough for his contract moving mahinmi which is over paid and a health risk this is a no brainier trade

Henson is a bad player. The definition of a bad tweener. No skill to play on the perimeter. No girth to bang in the paint. No b-ball IQ or worth ethic to leverage the talent he does have. He's consistently killed his team on the floor since he's been in the league. I wouldn't want him for free.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,012

Post#1369 » by Dark Faze » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:26 pm

Dat2U wrote:My only concern with Porzingis is the propensity to get injured. He does things 7-3 guys aren't supposed to do and he's miscast as an oversized PF. He should be a C and a regular mismatch nightmare for slower bigs. He also doesn't get ball enough. I felt a guy like Derrick Rose stunts his development.

I would deal Beal for Porzingis. Beal has been great but guys like Porzingis don't become available very often. I would also deal Oubre, Gortat. Smith and 3 unprotected 1st rounders for Porzingis & Noah but i doubt the Knicks would bite.

You're probably right about that. Porzingis is a very rare player. I would do the 1:1 swap.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1370 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:17 pm

Read on Twitter
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#1371 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:42 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Absolutely not! If your adding Aldridge you keep Morris you don't make a.lateral.move like that! Simple do that same deal but just make it mahinmi and gortat for LA and green. His trade value might not be worth much when he's trying to leave the Spurs. But dude, those are 2 year deals you get out of mahinmi a year early. And increase your bench by moving Morris to the bench and adding green. Trade Smith for kofus or something like that and add a center with our exceptions and that should be a solid improvement on our team.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1372 » by nate33 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:55 pm

Dat2U wrote:My only concern with Porzingis is the propensity to get injured. He does things 7-3 guys aren't supposed to do and he's miscast as an oversized PF. He should be a C and a regular mismatch nightmare for slower bigs. He also doesn't get ball enough. I felt a guy like Derrick Rose stunts his development.

How about Porter (S&T) + Gortat for Porzingis + Noah + Courtney Lee?

New York gets a good young player, a good vet, and sheds two horrible contracts. We get to add Porzingis to our core of Wall and Beal. If Oubre breaks out, we'd have a very balanced roster:

PG Wall
SG Beal/Lee
SF Oubre/Lee
PF Morris/Porzingis
C Porzingis/Mahinmi

We'd be paying $45M a year for the next 3 years to the trio of Noah, Lee and Mahinmi, but it's Ted's money, not mine. There would be an absolutely brutal luxury tax in 2019 when Wall, Porzingis and Oubre are due for new deals (while Noah, Lee and Mahinmi are still on the roster) but salary cap sanity would be restored in 2020 when all those horrible contracts come off the books.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#1373 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:04 pm

nate33 wrote:
Meliorus wrote:Porzingis is going to get traded to the Suns for Bledsoe + 4th pick + Chriss. These crappy offers are not going to do it. Might as well go all in for the Paul George rental (don't give up Otto).

I wish people would stop trying to go for the quick fix. It doesn't make any sense to go "all in" for a guy like George. Even with George, we're not winning a title, and there will be no way to keep the team together in a salary cap era.

We need to do the exact opposite. Instead of looking to overpay second tier stars superstar money, we need to try and find quality mid-tier players at low salary. Boston is in position to go after Jimmy Butler because they have Avery Bradley, Isaiah Thomas and Jae Crowder who combined make about as much as what Mahinmi and Smith combined make.

Plus, they have 6 guys on rookie contracts -- the best bargain in the NBA. 2 of them were R2 picks, btw.

They also have 3 R2 picks tonight. & I note that they didn't trade them for guys like Tim Frazier. Or their #1 picks for guys like Bogdanovic.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1374 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:13 pm

gambitx777 wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:

No, Henson is not "a bad player." But he hasn't developed at all in the last couple of years. So he isn't anything special either.

For my taste he is under contract for too long -- tho, as you say, it's a descending contract, which is good. At his $$ he's likely a better deal than Mahinmi. But Mahinmi is the better player.

I certainly would *not* offer a future first in a deal for Henson. I'm just amazed at the way you & a few others are happy to throw R1 picks away.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1375 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:16 pm

nate33 wrote:
Meliorus wrote:
nate33 wrote:Our best players are 26, 23 and 23 and all 3 just had breakout seasons. How can you possibly say we have peaked?

I wish I could believe that we'll have some of those 50-win seasons.

Not that I'm suggesting "blowing it all up." Just getting a new GM, a whole new FO.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#1376 » by Dat2U » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:27 pm

nate33 wrote:

A Wall, Beal, George & Porter core puts us a Warriors injury away from winning a title. A banged up Curry, an injured Durant... anything is possible. Adding George at least temporarily puts us over Cleveland, Boston, Houston & San Antonio depending on what each does this offseason. I think it's worth Oubre & a couple of 1sts to have a 15-20% shot at a title.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#1377 » by Dat2U » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:33 pm

nate33 wrote:

How about Porter (S&T) + Gortat for Porzingis + Noah + Courtney Lee?

New York gets a good young player, a good vet, and sheds two horrible contracts. We get to add Porzingis to our core of Wall and Beal. If Oubre breaks out, we'd have a very balanced roster:

PG Wall
SG Beal/Lee
SF Oubre/Lee
PF Morris/Porzingis
C Porzingis/Mahinmi

We'd be paying $45M a year for the next 3 years to the trio of Noah, Lee and Mahinmi, but it's Ted's money, not mine. There would be an absolutely brutal luxury tax in 2019 when Wall, Porzingis and Oubre are due for new deals (while Noah, Lee and Mahinmi are still on the roster) but salary cap sanity would be restored in 2020 when all those horrible contracts come off the books.

If that's all it takes then sign me up lol.

Then deal Mahinmi, Oubre & 2 picks for George...

PG John Wall / Tim Frazier
SG Bradley Beal / Courtney Lee / Sheldon Mac
SF Paul George / Tomas Satoransky
PF Markieff Morris / Jason Smith /Chris McCullough
CE Kristaps Porzingis / Joakim Noah

Bring on Golden State! :nod:
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1378 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:37 pm

Dat2U wrote:
nate33 wrote:

A Wall, Beal, George & Porter core puts us a Warriors injury away from winning a title. A banged up Curry, an injured Durant... anything is possible. Adding George at least temporarily puts us over Cleveland, Boston, Houston & San Antonio depending on what each does this offseason. I think it's worth Oubre & a couple of 1sts to have a 15-20% shot at a title.

Wow.... You too with giving away R1 picks.

I don't think George would do what you say he would. & even if he added a lot, I don't begin to see this as a 15-20% shot at a title. For one thing, even if GS didn't make it to the WCF, there are a few teams that would be there instead & beat us.

Not that I even think we'd make it to the ECF -- esp. not if Boston acquires Butler, but even if they don't. We aren't nearly deep enough.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#1379 » by Dat2U » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:45 pm

payitforward wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
nate33 wrote:I wish people would stop trying to go for the quick fix. It doesn't make any sense to go "all in" for a guy like George. Even with George, we're not winning a title, and there will be no way to keep the team together in a salary cap era.

Wow.... You too with giving away R1 picks.

I don't think George would do what you say he would. & even if he added a lot, I don't begin to see this as a 15-20% shot at a title. For one thing, even if GS didn't make it to the WCF, there are a few teams that would be there instead & beat us.

Not that I even think we'd make it to the ECF -- esp. not if Boston acquires Butler, but even if they don't. We aren't nearly deep enough.

Well the disagreement probably begins and ends with our perceptions of George's impact. While the argument of Porter vs. George in terms of value had some merits, it should be pretty clear George's presence outweighs the impact of Gortat & Oubre. Considering we were one win away from the conference finals already, there's significant evidence that leads us to presume adding an all-star caliber player like George makes us a legitimate contender. We've already got a modest upgrade at backup PG with Frazier.

Also there's no sure bet Boston acquires Butler. It was almost assumed Butler would be in Boston last year and it didn't happen. Word is Boston has already turned down an offer of the 3rd pick for Butler so who knows if Boston will really upgrade their roster this offseason. They may very well end up adding a draft pick and bringing most of their guys back.
Meliorus
Analyst
And1: 1,185

Post#1380 » by Meliorus » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:46 pm

We're gonna watch Paul George get traded for a sack of peanuts and we'll just be here thinking, "if only we had that late 1st rounder we coulda pulled off a deal."

Or just kept the pick. The value of that pick is much higher now than it was at trade deadline. Aren't there a lot of guys you'd like to take at 22? :D

Man I forgot how high our pick was. 22??? That's like borderline lottery.

Return to Washington Wizards