ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards acquire Brandon Jennings

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Re: Wizards acquire Brandon Jennings 

Post#101 » by NatP4 » Fri Mar 3, 2017 12:47 am

That awkward moment when no-one was comparing the shooting ability of Sato and Smith but it becomes the discussion point.
Sluggerface
Bench Warmer
And1: 510

Post#102 » by Sluggerface » Fri Mar 3, 2017 1:36 am

payitforward wrote:Jennings started the year strong w/ the Knicks then swooned. He's not a terrible player, but I can't see where he can exactly be called a good player either. But... he has been a good assist pg in some seasons, so I don't think he is necessarily the ball hog people think. As well, his FGAs have gone down the last few years. That's good, as he posts a well below TS% for a PG.

But... I don't see Sato as having been as bad as some of you seem to think. What makes Jennings valuable to us is if he takes all of Burke's minutes. That suffices for him to make us a better team.

I think Jennings is a good player that's just been unfortunate with a pretty bad injury a couple of seasons ago and playing on dysfunctional teams.

He's not a great shooter, but he makes plays, can get to the line, doesn't turn the ball over, and isn't a slouch defensively. I think he could potentially be better than what Sessions was for us depending on how he coalesces with the team.
Meliorus
Analyst
And1: 1,185

Post#103 » by Meliorus » Fri Mar 3, 2017 1:49 am

Read on Twitter

Wall and Jennings go way back. This is apparently from Jennings 21st birthday party.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#104 » by 80sballboy » Fri Mar 3, 2017 2:23 am

payitforward wrote:Jennings started the year strong w/ the Knicks then swooned. He's not a terrible player, but I can't see where he can exactly be called a good player either. But... he has been a good assist pg in some seasons, so I don't think he is necessarily the ball hog people think. As well, his FGAs have gone down the last few years. That's good, as he posts a well below TS% for a PG.

But... I don't see Sato as having been as bad as some of you seem to think. What makes Jennings valuable to us is if he takes all of Burke's minutes. That suffices for him to make us a better team.

Jennings leads the NBA in assists per game off the bench. Also shot around 38.5 percent from 3-point range in February and January. Is he flawless? Who is coming off the bench? Apparently, he didn't want to play within Phil's Triangle offense. I would hope that he fits in a more freewheeling style. Bottom line is he's an upgrade over Burke and Sato.

Sato has a future, probably more as a combo guard. I don't see that he has the quickness to break point guards off the dribble but maybe he can do that against bigger 2-guards, the way Ginobili did that it in his prime. Of course, he needs to improve as a shooter. I could see him playing a little with Jennings if we go small with Oubre at the 3 and Bojan at the 4
Meliorus
Analyst
And1: 1,185

Post#105 » by Meliorus » Fri Mar 3, 2017 2:30 am

80sballboy wrote:

Jennings leads the NBA in assists per game off the bench. Also shot around 38.5 percent from 3-point range in February and January. Is he flawless? Who is coming off the bench? Apparently, he didn't want to play within Phil's Triangle offense. I would hope that he fits in a more freewheeling style. Bottom line is he's an upgrade over Burke and Sato.

Sato has a future, probably more as a combo guard. I don't see that he has the quickness to break point guards off the dribble but maybe he can do that against biger 2-guards, the way Ginobili did that it in his prime. Of course, he needs to improve as a shooter. I could see him playing a little with Jennings if we go small with Oubre at the 3 and Bojan at the 4

Why do people compare Sato to Ginobili? They have little to nothing in common. Ginobili is a sniper from long distance. Ginobili has a Eurostep that is completely unguardable. Ginobili has a pump fake that gets players in the air even at age 39. Lastly, it seems like Sato is by nature not as fearless of a player as Ginobili. Sato's lack of irrational confidence and fear of making mistakes is worrisome for his development.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,112

Post#106 » by J-Ves » Fri Mar 3, 2017 3:01 am

Jennings, Sato, Oubre, Bojan, Mahinmi is my preferred bench unit, but Smith has played so well on offense it might be worth it to bump Bojan to SF and cut one of Sato or Oubre from the rotation.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#107 » by NatP4 » Fri Mar 3, 2017 3:04 am

J-Ves wrote:Jennings, Sato, Oubre, Bojan, Mahinmi is my preferred bench unit, but Smith has played so well on offense it might be worth it to bump Bojan to SF and cut one of Sato or Oubre from the rotation.

This is my preferred lineup as well, well, the first part of this.
sfam
Assistant Coach
And1: 548

Post#108 » by sfam » Fri Mar 3, 2017 4:09 am

J-Ves wrote:Jennings, Sato, Oubre, Bojan, Mahinmi is my preferred bench unit, but Smith has played so well on offense it might be worth it to bump Bojan to SF and cut one of Sato or Oubre from the rotation.

I'd cut out Sato in most cases so that there's nobody to leave free on offense. I prefer Smith in the line-up at this point. He's a terrific 3rd center and a decent backup at PF.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#109 » by gambitx777 » Fri Mar 3, 2017 4:31 am

Kelly is going to play beals primary back up along side bojan and jennings.
IDK how much 4 they have had bo buckets playing?
Physhi
Ballboy
And1: 46

Post#110 » by Physhi » Fri Mar 3, 2017 6:24 am

Meliorus wrote:
Why do people compare Sato to Ginobili? They have little to nothing in common. Ginobili is a sniper from long distance. Ginobili has a Eurostep that is completely unguardable. Ginobili has a pump fake that gets players in the air even at age 39. Lastly, it seems like Sato is by nature not as fearless of a player as Ginobili. Sato's lack of irrational confidence and fear of making mistakes is worrisome for his development.

You could say that about a lot of rookies. Otto looked timid his first two years and now he's doing great things for us.
FREE CHIC-FIL-A FOR EVERYONE!
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#111 » by BigA » Fri Mar 3, 2017 12:08 pm

Doug_Blew wrote:
payitforward wrote:No surprise that Ernie didn't cut Burke. He wasn't going to foreground a 2d mistake in 10 days! No way. & no one would critique his cutting House.

Bringing in Jennings which will keep Burke's cheeks on the bench pretty much admits he was a mistake. I don't think Grunfeld's pride plays a part in the dismissal of House over Burke. And the mistake of Burke is minuscule in comparison to that slow old looking dude that we traded for Bojan.

I love to hate on Ernie as much as the next person. But this season is panning out better than most of us expected. I'm willing to give Ernie credit with a good off season if we continue to churn at the current pace.

Whether or not to give Ernie a pass on this past off season is a good topic. Maybe good to continue in another thread.

I think what's happened this year is we can now conclude that all three top 3 picks since 2010 turned out to be non-busts and good value for their draft position. Also, the Morris trade appears to be turning out better than many (including me) anticipated.

Having to spend assets in moves to correct two signings from last off season still isn't good, though. Whether or not the Mahinmi signing will work out is yet to be determined, but looking at it today it appears that there were better options out there considering value for money.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#112 » by gambitx777 » Fri Mar 3, 2017 6:06 pm

So I just saw a video of T.Mac and S.Jackson **** all over the signing. Saying it does not move the needle and that it makes no sense since Burke was playing so well for the wizards off the bench and that this in not way helps them beat the cavs with all the new pieces they picked up.
Have they even watched a wizards game this year, have they not seen how negatively impact Burke was on every one of his teammates. Sato still has confidence issues but he is worlds better than burke because he does not hurt the other guys on the bench. Burke DOES ! Jennings does all the passing and little things tomas does, (with less D, hes not bad just not a great defender) But he is fearless when it comes to play making and scoring. Bo buckets and Jennings are huge bench up grades for us, Massive. if you look at it from a far we gave up a first, nicholsons contract and house, for Bogdanavic, jennings and Chris which is a pretty smart trade and we are already seeing the benefits. I think our moves absolutist put us in a spot to shock the cavs.
sfam
Assistant Coach
And1: 548

Post#113 » by sfam » Fri Mar 3, 2017 6:25 pm

gambitx777 wrote:So I just saw a video of T.Mac and S.Jackson **** all over the signing. Saying it does not move the needle and that it makes no sense since Burke was playing so well for the wizards off the bench and that this in not way helps them beat the cavs with all the new pieces they picked up.
Have they even watched a wizards game this year, have they not seen how negatively impact Burke was on every one of his teammates. Sato still has confidence issues but he is worlds better than burke because he does not hurt the other guys on the bench. Burke DOES ! Jennings does all the passing and little things tomas does, (with less D, hes not bad just not a great defender) But he is fearless when it comes to play making and scoring. Bo buckets and Jennings are huge bench up grades for us, Massive. if you look at it from a far we gave up a first, nicholsons contract and house, for Bogdanavic, jennings and Chris which is a pretty smart trade and we are already seeing the benefits. I think our moves absolutist put us in a spot to shock the cavs.

I think I watched the same segment, but heard something very different. They were saying it didn't move the needle in the sense that Cleveland was still going to win. The only potential "needle moving" move they saw was Paul George to the Celtics, which didn't happen.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#114 » by WallToWall » Fri Mar 3, 2017 6:44 pm

Now that Jennings is part of the mix, we can actually make these sorts of choices. Whoever is having an off-game can sit.
As our bench/backup players go:
Mahinmi will play C,
Smith can play C or PF
Bojan can play SF, PF
Ourbe can play SF, PF
Sato can play SG, PG
Jennings can play PG, SG
Burke can play SG, PG.

All of a sudden, we have okay depth, and some reasonably, above average to average backups.
Still not happy with all the picks, etc, we had to give up to get here...but thats another discussion.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#115 » by gambitx777 » Fri Mar 3, 2017 7:34 pm

sfam wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:So I just saw a video of T.Mac and S.Jackson **** all over the signing. Saying it does not move the needle and that it makes no sense since Burke was playing so well for the wizards off the bench and that this in not way helps them beat the cavs with all the new pieces they picked up.

I think I watched the same segment, but heard something very different. They were saying it didn't move the needle in the sense that Cleveland was still going to win. The only potential "needle moving" move they saw was Paul George to the Celtics, which didn't happen.

Did you not hear them literally say burke was playing well ? those words actually came out of jacksons mouth. I think you might have seen a slightly different segment cuz they were totally all about how this move does not even touch the williams acquisition.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#116 » by Wizardspride » Fri Mar 3, 2017 7:56 pm

Read on Twitter
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#117 » by Wizardspride » Fri Mar 3, 2017 8:07 pm

Read on Twitter
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
benb331
Pro Prospect
And1: 314

Post#118 » by benb331 » Fri Mar 3, 2017 8:18 pm

gambitx777 wrote:Kelly is going to play beals primary back up along side bojan and jennings.
IDK how much 4 they have had bo buckets playing?

Bogey has been playing about 30-40% of his time at the 4 from my eye test, with both the first and second units.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#119 » by gambitx777 » Fri Mar 3, 2017 8:38 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter

john wall walks up to him in practice like "Top three? mother **** the other two better be john wall spelled with two n's and john wall spelled with three L's."
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#120 » by Wizardspride » Tue Mar 7, 2017 11:51 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Washington Wizards