#2 seed in the East
42%

Total votes: 12

Meliorus
Analyst
And1: 1,185

Re: GT #70: Wizards @ Celtics 7:30 PM (CSN/1500 AM) [3/20/17] 

Post#341 » by Meliorus » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:04 am

Bojan playing so many minutes is just the politics of basketball. You don't bench a guy that you gave up so much to get. You play him and play him, even if it's not the right decision.

He's a shiny new toy, and it will take awhile for Brooks to realize that he doesn't belong in the rotation.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#342 » by queridiculo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:04 am

Out rebounded by what feels like at least 20, poor effort from virtually every starter and the few bright spots created by the guys we've relegated to spot duty with the Bogdanovic trade and the highest paid backup center in the league making a return.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#343 » by 80sballboy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:05 am

Honestly, just no heart tonight from the starters and some from the bench. But when you give up 20+ offensive rebounds. That's on everybody, but mainly post players. They were horrible, even the GOAT Jason Smith. Dude can shoot but he is allergic to contact underneath.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,318

Post#344 » by NatP4 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:05 am

I loved the look with Jason Smith at the 5 again. Mahinmi or Gortat, pick whichever one you think is better and move the other one. Smith is just fine for 5 million.
Meliorus
Analyst

Post#345 » by Meliorus » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:07 am

Oh look! Toronto is just 1 game back of us. And we still have some fun games left, including @Cleveland, @Clippers, @Utah, @GS, vs.Miami, @Detroit, and @Miami. The last 3 games will be very challenging :( because those teams are going to be fighting to make the playoffs.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#346 » by nuposse04 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:07 am

I really want Gortat benched moving forward. Sans setting solid screens he is becoming disposable fast.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#347 » by NatP4 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:07 am

Meliorus wrote:Bojan playing so many minutes is just the politics of basketball. You don't bench a guy that you gave up so much to get. You play him and play him, even if it's not the right decision.

He's a shiny new toy, and it will take awhile for Brooks to realize that he doesn't belong in the rotation.

I understand your point, but Brooks is dumb as hell and has failed every test with the rotation. He played Thornton and Burke all year long. Ernie trade UP in the draft for Oubre, what makes Brooks think Bojan should play over him. Ugh
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#348 » by 80sballboy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:08 am

Meliorus wrote:Bojan playing so many minutes is just the politics of basketball. You don't bench a guy that you gave up so much to get. You play him and play him, even if it's not the right decision.

No politics. Brooks is playing him a lot of minutes because he doesn't trust the other guys but sure, on a very good team, he's a 15 mpg player. On this squad, he shouldn't be playing 25mpg. However, what are the options at the 4? If Otto were playing better, I'd say go with him at the 4 but he's not playing well. They are just waiting for Bojan to get hot and at some point, I guess you have to go back to Otto. I don't think this is politics. Brooks ain't Randy Wittman. He probably had influence in getting Bojan here.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#349 » by NatP4 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:09 am

I fail to see how Brooks is an upgrade from wittman. Lol
europeanfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 250

Post#350 » by europeanfan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:11 am

If I'm Brooks I'm starting Oubre and Mahinmi.

Even JW and Beal can't sink an Oubre Porter Mahinmi frontcourt on defense.

Should be even better than the death lineup.

Put all the chips on Kelly and pray.
Meliorus
Analyst

Post#351 » by Meliorus » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:12 am

80sballboy wrote:

No politics. Brooks is playing him a lot of minutes because he doesn't trust the other guys but sure, on a very good team, he's a 15 mpg player. On this squad, he shouldn't be playing 25mpg. However, what are the options at the 4? If Otto were playing better, I'd say go with him at the 4 but he's not playing well. They are just waiting for Bojan to get hot and at some point, I guess you have to go back to Otto. I don't think this is politics. Brooks ain't Randy Wittman. He probably had influence in getting Bojan here.

It's hard to imagine how the Wiz would survive without Bojan Bogonavich, it's not like the Wiz went 18-3 just before acquiring him. I'd play Oubre, Smith, Morris (with the bench) over Bojan. I'd play a lot of D-League players over Bojan. I don't know how anyone can make the argument that he's not an awful player. He was awful in Brooklyn, and now he's awful here. He does 2 things well as a basketball player, shoot wide-open 3's and make free throws. He is horrible at everything else.

But really, it's not Brooks's fault that he's riding Bojan so hard. Any coach would play Bojan this many minutes if their GM sent a message that this was a really important piece to the puzzle and we had to give up a 1st rounder for this prize. The blame is on Ernie.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#352 » by 80sballboy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:13 am

I also think they were reading their own press clippings. Not doing any of the little things. Blocking out. Hustling for 50-50 balls. No toughness. Just coming down the court and chucking up shots. Maybe the 4-1 trip took some energy out of us because we had to come back every game. Needed like 3-4 days off. But it is what is to use a tired cliche'. Unfortunately, I don't see a lot of light at the end of the tunnel because the competition is getting tougher maybe sans Atlanta coming up with MIllsap and Bazemore out.
europeanfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 250

Post#353 » by europeanfan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:14 am

The Wiz went 18-3 with an easy schedule and top level Wall and Gortat, you can't act like the parameters didn't change. This is now 20% JW and 10% Gortat. Bogie can create his shot, I agree he's playing too much but every contender can use a guy like that.
Meliorus
Analyst

Post#354 » by Meliorus » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:16 am

europeanfan wrote:The Wiz went 18-3 with an easy schedule and top level Wall and Gortat, you can't act like the parameters didn't change. Bogie can't create his shot, I agree he's playing too much but every contender can use a guy like that.

No, every contender can use a more athletic version of Bogey who doesn't handle the ball (and therefore doesn't turn the ball over). Otherwise, more teams would have been bidding on Bogey at the deadline. Seems like the Wiz were bidding against themselves, as usual.

And of course, some of it is reverting to the mean. But I think it's clear that Bogey does not make us a better team to the point where trading a 1st round pick was worth it.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#355 » by 80sballboy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:18 am

Meliorus wrote:
80sballboy wrote:

It's hard to imagine how the Wiz would survive without Bojan Bogonavich, it's not like the Wiz went 18-3 just before acquiring him. I'd play Oubre, Smith, Morris (with the bench) over Bojan. I'd play a lot of D-League players over Bojan. I don't know how anyone can make the argument that he's not an awful player. He was awful in Brooklyn, and now he's awful here. He does 2 things well as a basketball player, shoot wide-open 3's and make free throws. He is horrible at everything else.

But really, it's not Brooks's fault that he's riding Bojan so hard. Any coach would play Bojan this many minutes if their GM sent a message that this was a really important piece to the puzzle and we had to give up a 1st rounder for this prize. The blame is on Ernie.

Actually, we'd probably be worse without him because he easily won two games with his hot shooting off the bench. When he's cold, he definitely sucks because that's his only dimension. You keep saying this night in and night out, how we shouldn't have made a move at the deadline and now you are going back to Tucker. We had the 2nd worse bench in the league. Everybody in the freakin' world said we must get a scorer off the bench. But let's go back and get a defender, play Tucker, Sato, Oubre, Mahinimi and Jason Smith and see how that works out offensively. That would still be the 2nd-worst bench in the league in terms of offensive production.
Meliorus
Analyst

Post#356 » by Meliorus » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:23 am

80sballboy wrote:
Meliorus wrote:
80sballboy wrote:

Actually, we'd probably be worse without him because he easily won two games with his hot shooting off the bench. When he's cold, he definitely sucks because that's his only dimension. You keep saying this night in and night out, how we shouldn't have made a move at the deadline and now you are going back to Tucker. We had the 2nd worse bench in the league. Everybody in the freakin' world said we must get a scorer off the bench. But let's go back and get a defender, play Tucker, Sato, Oubre, Mahinimi and Jason Smith and see how that works out offensively. That would still be the 2nd-worst bench in the league in terms of offensive production.

Why do people keep bringing up the 2 games he won for us? Maybe those 2 games wouldn't have been so close in the first place if we replaced him with a better player. Maybe we would have won @Philly, @Utah, vs Toronto, @Minnesota, vs. Dallas, @Charlotte, @Boston if all his minutes were given to superior net rating players.

The Wizards have been atrocious defensively since the All-Star break. Some of it is the starters shi*ting the bed, but some of it is giving 25+ minutes a night to a league bottom defender.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#357 » by NatP4 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:23 am

europeanfan wrote:If I'm Brooks I'm starting Oubre and Mahinmi.

Even JW and Beal can't sink an Oubre Porter Mahinmi frontcourt on defense.

Should be even better than the death lineup.

Put all the chips on Kelly and pray.

We should've put all the chips on Kelly in the first place. Burying a talent like him on the bench is terrible coaching. A real player development coach would be allowing him to play freely on offense also.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#358 » by NatP4 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:24 am

Brooks literally rolled out a Jennings-Oubre-Bojan-Smith-Mahinmi lineup tonight against a good team on the road and people still expected to win?
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,391

Post#359 » by Jimmy Recard » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:28 am

:lol: what??
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#360 » by 80sballboy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:29 am

Meliorus wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
Meliorus wrote:

Why do people keep bringing up the 2 games he won for us? Maybe those 2 games wouldn't have been so close in the first if we replaced him with a better player. Maybe we would have won @Philly, @Utah, vs Toronto, @Minnesota, vs. Dallas, @Charlotte, @Boston if all his minutes were given to superior net rating players.

The Wizards have been atrocious defensively since the All-Star break. Some of it is the starters shi*ting the bed, but some of it is giving 25+ minutes a night to a league bottom defender.

Agree he should be playing less minutes, but you continue to not give an answer about who's better at the 3 or 4? He's out there for his offense, not his defense. Superior net ratings players? What, Sheldon Mac? Otto, who can't make a three all of a sudden? Sato? Offense is important as well. If Oubre could legitimately become a 3&D Player instead of just a D player, that would help. But there's so many issues right now, it's not just Bogs. Wall looks dead out there after playing the most minutes in the league since Feb. 1. Otto is slumping. Morris is back to being Markieff. Gortat has been garbage on both ends lately, averaging 8ppg since March 1. You want to lay it all on the acquisition of Bogs? Ok.

Return to Washington Wizards