Total votes: 19

FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,975

The Amazingly Sucky Wes Unseld Jr. Thread 

Post#1 » by FAH1223 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:53 am

35 point lead blown

Playing Dinwiddie who sucks for 34 minutes

Continued benching of Gafford in crunch time in the 4th quarter while Harrell is leaking points defensively

No letting of young guys who played well play in crunch time but KCP, Dinwiddie, and Harrell are allowed to **** shid up.

Wes has shown no flexibility in weeks on rotations.
Read on Twitter

Until otherwise proven, he is now amazingly sucky. 13-22 since the 10-3 start.
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 841

Re: The Amazingly Sucky Wes Unseld Jr. Thread 

Post#2 » by 9 and 20 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:20 pm

Wes, while keeping Gafford on the bench last night when all they needed was one stop:

Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#3 » by JWizmentality » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:27 pm

Yea, I'm done with Wes too. He's way over his head. Enough of these player's coaches. Give me a coach who plays people based on production and not salary. Who isn't afraid to bench a mofo!!
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#4 » by FAH1223 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:39 pm

JWizmentality wrote:Yea, I'm done with Wes too. He's way over his head. Enough of these player's coaches. Give me a coach who plays people based on production and not salary. Who isn't afraid to bench a mofo!!

Ty Lue would have been perfect
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,190

Post#5 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:30 pm

Bah. My problem with Wes is that he had the team playing beautiful defense at the start of the season and then it all fell apart. Maybe it was reverting to the mean. Maybe it was being unable to maintain the team's defensive focus. I still see it in stretches - this personnel is capable of doing it. But do it for the entire game, every game, every opponent, consistently, relentlessly.

I think this is the stage, for the player's coach, you need the team's best player to hold a player's meeting and say, we need to get back to where we were mentally at the beginning of the season. We need to be one body with five appendages, moving as one.

I think there's still time to right the ship. Or it could all unravel.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#6 » by JWizmentality » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:36 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Bah. My problem with Wes is that he had the team playing beautiful defense at the start of the season and then it all fell apart. Maybe it was reverting to the mean. Maybe it was being unable to maintain the team's defensive focus. I still see it in stretches - this personnel is capable of doing it. But do it for the entire game, every game, every opponent, consistently, relentlessly.

I think this is the stage, for the player's coach, you need the team's best player to hold a player's meeting and say, we need to get back to where we were mentally at the beginning of the season. We need to be one body with five appendages, moving as one.

You can't right this ship with Beal at the helm. An unaccountable mental midget. He kills any and all momentum with his brain dead TOs and whining.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,064

Post#7 » by queridiculo » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:38 pm

My problem with Wes Unseld Jr., not benching Dinwiddie already.

Enough, this sacred cow needs to be put to pasture.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,190

Post#8 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:39 pm

JWizmentality wrote:
Zonkerbl wrote:Bah. My problem with Wes is that he had the team playing beautiful defense at the start of the season and then it all fell apart. Maybe it was reverting to the mean. Maybe it was being unable to maintain the team's defensive focus. I still see it in stretches - this personnel is capable of doing it. But do it for the entire game, every game, every opponent, consistently, relentlessly.

You can't right this ship with Beal at the helm. An unaccountable mental midget. He kills any and all momentum with his brain dead TOs and whining.

That's the test. If Beal calls a team meeting and convinces everybody to start playing the kind of defense they were playing at the beginning of the season, and they get back to playing 50 win basketball, he deserves the max. If he can't...
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#9 » by WallToWall » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:53 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:That's the test. If Beal calls a team meeting and convinces everybody to start playing the kind of defense they were playing at the beginning of the season, and they get back to playing 50 win basketball, he deserves the max. If he can't...
This.
If someone calls a players only team meeting, that will tell us that they actually give a f. After a loss like this, a team leader would/should step up. If it’s Beal (and I still don’t think he deserves the max), then it will tell me that he may want to stay with the Wizards. Otherwise, maybe one shoe is already out the door.

We are a wildly inconsistent average at best team.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#10 » by FAH1223 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:48 pm

Read on Twitter

FAH1223
RealGM

Post#11 » by FAH1223 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:10 am

We've got a really really bad coach and coaching staff at large, guys.

This is bad.
WallToWall
Veteran

Post#12 » by WallToWall » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:55 am

he is in over his head. I can wait for him to learn the ropes, but I did expect more from him going into the job.
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 886

Post#13 » by badinage » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:04 am

The Wizards player who texted him was Bradley Beal.

Mayo and his pathetic coy horseshxt teasing.

He’s Beal’s Boswell. That’s it; that’s the player. Nobody else.

And THAT player has NO business, none, talking about inmates running the asylum when HE, BB, is the kingpin among inmates.

I.e., horseshxt on top of horseshxt.

As for Wes, Jr. — how is it that he was a great coach and now, suddenly, is a terrible coach. How? How does that happen?

But back to Beal …

I want him shipped out. I think it’s past the point of arguing about his merits and whether he’s a legit no. 1 option on a championship-contending team blah blah. I think he’s become an anchor. And, possibly — given his influence throughout the organization, and the hold he has on the future — a team and franchise cancer.

Look at this game tonight.

The Clips game was an epically awful embarrassment — the kind of game a team with pride should want to avenge in the worst way.

But how does this team come out tonight?

Walk it up. No fight. No intensity. No double-teaming and harassing. No trapping. No trash-talking. No punking the opposition. No grabbing and playing dirty and fighting for their lives.

They’re just … playing.

That’s on Beal.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#14 » by keynote » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:16 am

Oof. This isn't the quote you want to hear from your primary offseason acquisition.
Read on Twitter

I gotta say: I was nervous when we hired Wes, if only because it smacked of our usual small-minded devotion to folks with "local ties." But, I shrugged it off because he at least had much stronger credentials than a stereotypical nepotism hire.

And, I was a bit concerned when Wes didn't bring on an ex-HC as an assistant. But, I put it aside when we had the hot start.

But oof. Between inmates running the asylum, Beal's quotes about the contract years affecting cohesion, and Dinwiddie basically saying "my name's Bennett, and I'm not in it."

Wes ain't it.

I can't imagine that Ted would countenance firing the franchise icon's son one year in. So hopefully Ted and Shep will spring for a more experienced HC to join the staff. Not a Jason Kidd, backstabber-in-training type. An older guy who doesn't have any designs on another HC gig again.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
WallToWall
Veteran

Post#15 » by WallToWall » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:53 am

Well… so here’s a question… what was working in the first 15 games that got us this good start? What changed? And can we go back to what was working?
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#16 » by keynote » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:19 pm

WallToWall wrote:Well… so here’s a question… what was working in the first 15 games that got us this good start? What changed? And can we go back to what was working?
Wes' initial schemes were decent enough. But once the league had a chance to scout, he hadn't shown the ability to outmaneuver their adjustments. Or, perhaps, he hasn't been able to get his team to implement his second and third level countermoves.

I'm not sure if it matters whether it's a lack of third-level countermoves, or an inability to inspire (or coerce) alignment from the locker room. A HC needs both to be successful.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using RealGM mobile app
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,393

Post#17 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:58 pm

keynote wrote:I can't imagine that Ted would countenance firing the franchise icon's son one year in. So hopefully Ted and Shep will spring for a more experienced HC to join the staff. Not a Jason Kidd, backstabber-in-training type. An older guy who doesn't have any designs on another HC gig again.

I don't think bringing an experienced assistant HC would matter. The issue is power. A rookie head coach has less power than experienced NBA veterans, and certainly less power than a 10-year franchise star like Beal. In most cases, a rookie head coach really needs his first gig to be with a rebuilding team. The only way a rookie head coach can handle a veteran team is if he and the star player are completely on the same page, and the star player has the leadership skills to ride herd over the rest of the team. That's how it worked with Ty Lue with Lebron in Cleveland, for example. Or Spoelstra with Wade in Miami. Or Billy Donovan with Westbrook in OKC. Or Kerr with Curry in Golden State.

Beal just seems unwilling or unable to lead this team. And without him leading, it's just not going to work. Guys like Harrell, KCP and Dinwiddie are too strong-willed to simply fall in line with a rookie head coach on a middling, directionless team. They have bigger concerns, like trying to get paid on their next contract. You get paid by posting stats or winning. Since we're not winning, they're going to look for their own.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,393

Post#18 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:06 pm

WallToWall wrote:Well… so here’s a question… what was working in the first 15 games that got us this good start? What changed? And can we go back to what was working?

I think Wes is a fundamentally sound coach when it comes to organization and schemes. He's just in over his head (as most rookie coaches would be) when it comes to player ego management.

Player ego wasn't a problem when we were winning, so things went smoothly for a while. But let's not forget that we were winning with a lot of crunch time luck. Our actual point differential suggested we were a middling .500 team, which wasn't surprising given the lack of high end talent on this roster. Once that crunch time luck regressed to the mean and we took some losses, those player ego issues became a factor. And then things snowballed.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,064

Post#19 » by queridiculo » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:24 pm

Wes has a reputation as a players coach and there's rumblings of him being a bit of a push over.

There's leadership void here that Wes may not be capable of filling, and the guy that's supposed to be leading is more concerned with throwing his teammates under the bus rather than taking responsibility for his own poor play.

Then you've got Dinwiddie, who's lack of on-court impact is only overshadowed by his passive aggressive woe is me act.

This might just finally be the year that's going to push me over the edge.

Tired of investing anything in this dysfunctional franchise.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#20 » by FAH1223 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:24 pm

nate33 wrote:
keynote wrote:I can't imagine that Ted would countenance firing the franchise icon's son one year in. So hopefully Ted and Shep will spring for a more experienced HC to join the staff. Not a Jason Kidd, backstabber-in-training type. An older guy who doesn't have any designs on another HC gig again.

I don't think bringing an experienced assistant HC would matter. The issue is power. A rookie head coach has less power than experienced NBA veterans, and certainly less power than a 10-year franchise star like Beal. In most cases, a rookie head coach really needs his first gig to be with a rebuilding team. The only way a rookie head coach can handle a veteran team is if he and the star player are completely on the same page, and the star player has the leadership skills to ride herd over the rest of the team. That's how it worked with Ty Lue with Lebron in Cleveland, for example. Or Spoelstra with Wade in Miami. Or Billy Donovan with Westbrook in OKC. Or Kerr with Curry in Golden State.

Beal just seems unwilling or unable to lead this team. And without him leading, it's just not going to work. Guys like Harrell, KCP and Dinwiddie are too strong-willed to simply fall in line with a rookie head coach on a middling, directionless team. They have bigger concerns, like trying to get paid on their next contract. You get paid by posting stats or winning. Since we're not winning, they're going to look for their own.

Dinwiddie just got paid and he said he's tried to be a leader...BUT...
Read on Twitter

Guess who shot him down? Only one guy on this roster has the tenure to do this.

Return to Washington Wizards