Official Trade Thread Part XLV

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,738

Re: Official Trade Thread Part XLV 

Post#1881 » by gambitx777 » Fri Jan 5, 2024 11:57 pm

payitforward wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:Speaking of Kispert, Rockets Blogger suggested the Rockets could use him although he didn't suggest a trade. Not sure what they would realistically give up- Rockets beat writer said he would be a good fit next to Eason and Thompson.

https://www.si.com/nba/rockets/news/nba-trade-idea-rumors-houston-rockets-acquire-washington-wizards-corey-kispert

I'd love to have Eason, but I don't see anyone else on their roster I really want right now. I.e. a guy they'd actually be willing to give up in such a deal.
IDK piff looking at their squad Eason might be the most expendable of their young bigs they have such a log jam at 3-4 that I can see them trading him for a big guard like Corey maybe.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,738

Post#1882 » by gambitx777 » Sat Jan 6, 2024 5:01 am

Jones has been on the **** rampage! He's so good right now! Do you keep him as a stable vet or do you move him for high value!

penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,741

Post#1883 » by penbeast0 » Sat Jan 6, 2024 2:08 pm

IF we can get high value for anyone (other than Bilal), we probably take it and kick the can down the road a bit. High value defined as decent 1st round pick or better.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 886

Post#1884 » by badinage » Sat Jan 6, 2024 5:05 pm

payitforward wrote:
badinage wrote:I think a good Kuzma trade partner for the Wizards is Dallas.

I’d want pick/s (but probably just ‘pick’) + some young players who could maybe emerge (Jaden Hardy?).

In @700 rookie-year minutes, Jaden Hardy was a slightly above average scorer for an NBA 2-guard -- on above average usage as well.

OTOH, b/c he turned the ball over more than average, got fewer than average steals, & was a slightly below average on the offensive boards, his overall offensive effectiveness was slightly below average. The rest of his numbers overall were also below average.

That said, if you compare him to the rest of the '22-23 rookies who played 500 or more minutes, he was in the middle of the pack overall. I wouldn't give much for him, obviously, but he has a reasonable chance to wind up as a pretty good NBA player.

Jaden Hardy last night: 19-9-9 in 32 min. 8-14 from the field; 3-7 from 3.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,549

Post#1885 » by nate33 » Sat Jan 6, 2024 6:20 pm

gambitx777 wrote:Jones has been on the **** rampage! He's so good right now! Do you keep him as a stable vet or do you move him for high value!

We should absolutely move him. The problem is, how much are teams willing to pay for a guy who will be an unrestricted free agent this summer? The teams that would pay the most for him are over-the-cap teams who would value having his Bird Rights. But how many teams really need a PG like Tyus?

Minnesota would be perfect with Tyus ultimately replacing Conley as the PG of the future, but they have no assets.

Orlando could use a PG, but they're going to have cap room this summer so they're not inclined to overpay too much for Tyus when they can try and sign him in the offseason.

San Antonio could use Tyus, but, like Orlando, they'll have the cap room to sign him in the summer, which limits how much they'd spend in a trade for him now.

Denver has no assets or matching contracts.

Miami is a possibility, but they might just prefer to ride with Lowry for one more year.

Maybe the Lakers?
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,934

Post#1886 » by payitforward » Sat Jan 6, 2024 9:41 pm

penbeast0 wrote:IF we can get high value for anyone (other than Bilal), we probably take it....

100% !!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
penbeast0

Post#1887 » by penbeast0 » Sat Jan 6, 2024 10:03 pm

Can we extend him, preferably to a descending contract like Kuzma and Avdija? Then we have a choice of keeping him or trading him for his actual value. I have no trouble with keeping him; I'd be starting him next to Kispert and using Poole as a bench scorer if I was trying to win with this team.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,934

Post#1888 » by payitforward » Sat Jan 6, 2024 11:09 pm

badinage wrote:
payitforward wrote:
badinage wrote:I think a good Kuzma trade partner for the Wizards is Dallas.

I’d want pick/s (but probably just ‘pick’) + some young players who could maybe emerge (Jaden Hardy?).

In @700 rookie-year minutes, Jaden Hardy was a slightly above average scorer for an NBA 2-guard -- on above average usage as well.

OTOH, b/c he turned the ball over more than average, got fewer than average steals, & was a slightly below average on the offensive boards, his overall offensive effectiveness was slightly below average. The rest of his numbers overall were also below average.

That said, if you compare him to the rest of the '22-23 rookies who played 500 or more minutes, he was in the middle of the pack overall. I wouldn't give much for him, obviously, but he has a reasonable chance to wind up as a pretty good NBA player.

Jaden Hardy last night: 19-9-9 in 32 min. 8-14 from the field; 3-7 from 3.

Outstanding game for sure -- marred by 4 turnovers, but outstanding all the same.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,957

Post#1889 » by Frichuela » Sun Jan 7, 2024 2:31 am

I think this would be a great trade for us…

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=GWeuz7j_sc5cBYZzdD92Tw
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1890 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 7, 2024 2:55 am

Frichuela wrote:I think this would be a great trade for us…

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=GWeuz7j_sc5cBYZzdD92Tw

Unrealistic. Let's assume that the "filler" from Philly are the contracts of Morris, Covington and Korkmaz. I don't see them giving up two first round picks to turn those guys into Wiggins and Jones.

But frankly, I'd probably do that trade if it was just Kuminga, Moody and 1 FRP coming here. Even better would be to let them keep Moody and instead ease back on the protection on the 2030 pick they owe us. It currently is top 20 protected. I'd like to see it scaled back to top 4 protected.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1891 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 7, 2024 3:10 am

Chris Paul has fractured his hand and is out indefinitely. Golden State would probably use him as "filler" in a big trade for another asset. Something like Chris Paul plus picks for Kuzma + Delon Wright would make sense. We would ask for their 2026 FRP and to reduce the protections on the 2030 FRP they owe us from it's current top 20 protection to top 4 protection. Or maybe we ask for Kuminga.

The problem is that we can't trade for Chris Paul because he was briefly a Wizard earlier this season. So to make this work, Paul would need to be laundered through a 3rd team with them taking on his dead weight salary and us getting equivalently bad contracts. But it's hard to scrape together $30M in contracts that are as bad as Chris Paul not playing at all.

One team is Detroit. They could take on Chris Paul and send us Joe Harris and Killian Hayes' expiring contracts.

Maybe Philly would do it for Marcus Morris and Robert Covington with the hope that Paul is back ready to play come playoff time.
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 849

Post#1892 » by 9 and 20 » Sun Jan 7, 2024 12:43 pm

Kuminga, Deni, and Coulibaly is the start of something. Add another lottery pick this year, hopefully not Johnny Davis III, and we might be on to something.

I like Kispert but he's like Don Maclean a million years ago - a really good 6th man who we should trade to team that could really use him and would give us someone good in return. A million years ago, that was Robert Pack who was really good for us for about 5 minutes.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
Frichuela
Lead Assistant

Post#1893 » by Frichuela » Sun Jan 7, 2024 1:28 pm

9 and 20 wrote:Kuminga, Deni, and Coulibaly is the start of something. Add another lottery pick this year, hopefully not Johnny Davis III, and we might be on to something.

I like Kispert but he's like Don Maclean a million years ago - a really good 6th man who we should trade to team that could really use him and would give us someone good in return. A million years ago, that was Robert Pack who was really good for us for about 5 minutes.

Agreed. Two trade ideas with teams in need of 3pt shooting:

1) Kispert for Aldama. Memphis is last in 3pt % shooting but I proposed this trade in the general trade board and a few Memphis fans were less than pleased..

2) Kispert to Orlando for Okeke plus draft compensation. Orlando also needs shooting and has 1st rounders available. Ideally we’ll get their 2024 1st (Lottery protected probably) but they may be only be willing to part with their 2025 DEN 1st.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,584

Post#1894 » by pcbothwel » Sun Jan 7, 2024 7:24 pm

nate33 wrote:The problem is that we can't trade for Chris Paul because he was briefly a Wizard earlier this season. .

But was he? I think the Beal for CP3 trade was agreed on in principle, but legally/procedurally I believe it was a 3 team trade with him being dealt from PHX.
I could certainly be wrong, but that would be interesting.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1895 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 7, 2024 9:58 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
nate33 wrote:The problem is that we can't trade for Chris Paul because he was briefly a Wizard earlier this season. .

But was he? I think the Beal for CP3 trade was agreed on in principle, but legally/procedurally I believe it was a 3 team trade with him being dealt from PHX.
I could certainly be wrong, but that would be interesting.

The fanspo trade machine wouldn't let me make the trade, FWIW.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,019

Post#1896 » by Dark Faze » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:01 pm

This FO will get picks. No need to worry about that.

Cason Wallace is the guy I'd be targeting. The Thunder are a team who should go for it sooner rather than later, and we've got a guy who can fill in and provide what Cason brings in the short term with Tyus.

I'm thinking something like this:

Some separate trade that perhaps sends out Kuz or something takes place and we get a late 1st (maybe 2, but unlikely).

And then

WSH out: Kispert, Tyus, late 1st from Kuz deal
WSH IN: Cason Wallace, Bertans (waive immediately)
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1897 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:39 pm

Dark Faze wrote:This FO will get picks. No need to worry about that.

Cason Wallace is the guy I'd be targeting. The Thunder are a team who should go for it sooner rather than later, and we've got a guy who can fill in and provide what Cason brings in the short term with Tyus.

Some separate trade that perhaps sends out Kuz or something takes place and we get a late 1st (maybe 2, but unlikely).

And then

Wallace is a nice player, but I wouldn't use all that capital to acquire him. He looks more like a quality role player, not a star. Also, you are buying high on him because OKC has no real motivation to move him so he will cost full price.

You need to look for guys who are on sale because they're a bad fit on their current roster (like Ivey), or because the team may be worried about losing them in free agency (like Quickley, before he was moved to Toronto).

If anything Giddey would probably be easier to acquire than Wallace because of his rookie contract is up soon. Or maybe some of OKC's future picks are on discount because they know they can't develop multiple prospects while trying to win now. But Wallace - as a cheap rookie contract guy who fits perfectly in their system - is not the guy to go after.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant

Post#1898 » by Frichuela » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:52 pm

nate33 wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:This FO will get picks. No need to worry about that.

And then

Wallace is a nice player, but I wouldn't use all that capital to acquire him. He looks more like a quality role player, not a star. Also, you are buying high on him because OKC has no real motivation to move him so he will cost full price.

You need to look for guys who are on sale because they're a bad fit on their current roster (like Ivey), or because the team may be worried about losing them in free agency (like Quickley, before he was moved to Toronto).

If anything Giddey would probably be easier to acquire than Wallace because of his rookie contract is up soon. Or maybe some of OKC's future picks are on discount because they know they can't develop multiple prospects while trying to win now. But Wallace - as a cheap rookie contract guy who fits perfectly in their system - is not the guy to go after.

Yep. As much as like Wallace, I think Nate is right.

With OKC, I believe the trade is Kuzma for a prospect (Dieng), fodder (Bertans) plus a couple of late 1sts (e.g. LAC 24, MIA 25).
Frichuela
Lead Assistant

Post#1899 » by Frichuela » Mon Jan 8, 2024 4:09 pm

Despite the latest ramblings from the West Coast that GS would "loathe to trade Kuminga", I still think he is a plausible target for the Wizards. I also think a versatile player such as Kuz makes a lot of sense for GS. He brings championship experience and is signed to a good value descending contract. How about this 3-team trade scenario:

WAS sends Kuzma+Kispert and gets Kuminga+GS 2026 1st (top-10 protected) +our own 2024 2nd back from Detroit+fodder (Harris, Hayes). Lowering the protection on GS 2030 1st (top-20) could be also discussed, although this is probably too much for GS to agree.

GS gets Kuzma+Kispert and sends Wiggins+Kuminga+2026 1st (top-10 protected)

DET gets Wiggins and sends Harris+Hayes+WAS 2024 2nd.

GS gets two rotation worthy players that replace the discontent Kuminga and they get out of the contract for the underperforming Wiggins.
DET gets an experienced young vet (Wiggins) in the hope of resurrecting his career. Beggars can be choosers I guess...
For us, we get a core of Kuminga/Deni/Bilal as our 3 wings of the future with 2-way development potential.
penbeast0

Post#1900 » by penbeast0 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 4:18 pm

Frichuela wrote:Despite the latest ramblings from the West Coast that GS would "loathe to trade Kuminga", I still think he is a plausible target for the Wizards. I also think a versatile player such as Kuz makes a lot of sense for GS. He brings championship experience and is signed to a good value descending contract. How about this 3-team trade scenario:

WAS sends Kuzma+Kispert and gets Kuminga+GS 2026 1st (top-10 protected) +our own 2024 2nd back from Detroit+fodder (Harris, Hayes). Lowering the protection on GS 2030 1st (top-20) could be also discussed, although this is probably too much for GS to agree.

GS gets Kuzma+Kispert and sends Wiggins+Kuminga+2026 1st (top-10 protected)

DET gets Wiggins and sends Harris+Hayes+WAS 2024 2nd.

GS gets two rotation worthy players that replace the discontent Kuminga and they get out of the contract for the underperforming Wiggins.
DET gets an experienced young vet (Wiggins) in the hope of resurrecting his career. Beggars can be choosers I guess...
For us, we get a core of Kuminga/Deni/Bilal as our 3 wings of the future with 2-way development potential.

Is Kuminga worth more than Kispert? I'm not nearly as high on Kispert as Nate but he has shown he's an efficient 3 point shooting threat and his usage is up this year. Kuminga is a freak athlete but hasn't shown an NBA skill set yet. He's more inefficient than Kuzma and his efficiency numbers are down this year, hasn't developed any real range on his shot, and doesn't play with a high BBIQ either offensively or defensively though, as I said, very athletic. I'd deal Kispert for him straight up as his ceiling is higher, but if Kuzma is worth two bad 1sts or 1 good first (supposedly our ask), I don't think Kuminga is worth that much more than Kispert. Maybe Kispert and Johnny Davis or the like.

Return to Washington Wizards