And1: 6,973

Re: Presti's Tree Reaches DC: The Official Will Dawkins Thread 

Post#22 » by FAH1223 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:41 pm

NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,328

Post#23 » by NatP4 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:47 pm

I'm a huge fan of Will Dawkins. This guys is brilliant. I'm sure the players love him as well.

I would say right at this moment, we have one of the 5-10 best GMs in the league.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,983

Post#24 » by DCZards » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:40 pm

Will Dawkins is well aware that at its core the DC is a basketball town, one that will respond to a winner. It’s something he wants to sell players on.

FAH1223
RealGM

Post#25 » by FAH1223 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:02 am

FAH1223
RealGM

Post#26 » by FAH1223 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:36 pm

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,373

Post#27 » by nate33 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:42 am

At the 45 minute mark, Dawkins discusses Bilal and how he is taking the opportunity of his broken wrist to work on his body. He can still grasp a weight bar so he is lifting hard. He said Bilal is still in the gym today, challenging Dawkins to left-handed Horse competitions lol
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,983

Post#28 » by DCZards » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:24 am

I was very interested in their response to the question about Poole and Jones co-existing when both are at their best with the ball in their hands. That comes at around the 28:45 mark.

Was especially telling to hear Winger say there are 29 other teams that would like a Tyus Jones. I’m left with the impression that the Zards will likely try to do a S+T with Tyus.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,373

Post#29 » by nate33 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:29 pm

DCZards wrote:I was very interested in their response to the question about Poole and Jones co-existing when both are at their best with the ball in their hands. That comes at around the 28:45 mark.

Was especially telling to hear Winger say there are 29 other teams that would like a Tyus Jones. I’m left with the impression that the Zards will likely try to do a S+T with Tyus.

Yeah, they were extremely complimentary of Jordan Poole's late-season improvement while playing PG, and they were also very proud of Kispert's production. I didn't get the impression that they were particularly eager to send one of those two guys back to the bench to make room for Tyus as a starter.

So if Tyus returns, it'll probably be as a backup. And since Tyus has voiced that he considers himself a starting PG, I suspect he will look long and hard at other suitors before deciding to come back to Washington to be a backup.

Finally, there's the price issue. With Poole, Deni and Butler all capable of playing some PG minutes (not to mention a draft pick, potentially) the Wizards don't really NEED Tyus. Why spend money to retain him if that money can be better spent in other transactions to purchase picks? Ultimately, I think teams like San Antonio and Orlando have the cap room and dire need for PG play that they would likely outbid us for his services.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,943

Post#30 » by Frichuela » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:23 pm

nate33 wrote:
DCZards wrote:I was very interested in their response to the question about Poole and Jones co-existing when both are at their best with the ball in their hands. That comes at around the 28:45 mark.

Yeah, they were extremely complimentary of Jordan Poole's late-season improvement while playing PG, and they were also very proud of Kispert's production. I didn't get the impression that they were particularly eager to send one of those two guys back to the bench to make room for Tyus as a starter.

So if Tyus returns, it'll probably be as a backup. And since Tyus has voiced that he considers himself a starting PG, I suspect he will look long and hard at other suitors before deciding to come back to Washington to be a backup.

Finally, there's the price issue. With Poole, Deni and Butler all capable of playing some PG minutes (not to mention a draft pick, potentially) the Wizards don't really NEED Tyus. Why spend money to retain him if that money can be better spent in other transactions to purchase picks? Ultimately, I think teams like San Antonio and Orlando have the cap room and dire need for PG play that they would likely outbid us for his services.

Yep. Orlando today looked in dire need of a PG who can shoot from 3. I’d expect they bid for Tyus in the offseason.

Return to Washington Wizards