ImageImageImageImageImage

Bilal Coulibaly

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Re: Bilal Coulibaly 

Post#261 » by pcbothwel » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:37 pm

I know Shawn Marion and OG were early comps, but his offensive skill and IQ are clearly ahead of those guys.
I see Scottie Barnes, or dare I say..."Parisian Pippen".
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#262 » by NatP4 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:50 pm

11.7 points 2.7 assists 5.4 rebounds 1.4 steals 1.1 blocks 1.7 turnovers 63% TS

Leads the team in On/Off differential as a 19 year old.

I still think he’s a future superstar in the form of a Giannis/Kawhi. You rarely see this combination of work ethic/basketball IQ/physical traits+production at 19.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#263 » by FAH1223 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:52 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46
taruky1
Sixth Man
And1: 27

Post#264 » by taruky1 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:29 pm

Coulibaly was the type of savvy pick that Grunfeld and Sheppard would have never gotten. Clearly Dawkins has as keen eye for talent.

Chew on this for a moment, Shepard picked Kispert one pick before Sengun. How many years now have we been the bride left at the altar in these drafts? Finally we got someone with star potential.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#265 » by Frichuela » Thu Dec 7, 2023 6:46 pm

Excited about his progress. They need to up his usage more!

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=GWeuz7j_sc5cBYZzdD92Tw
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#266 » by queridiculo » Thu Dec 7, 2023 8:46 pm

taruky1 wrote:Coulibaly was the type of savvy pick that Grunfeld and Sheppard would have never gotten. Clearly Dawkins has as keen eye for talent.

Chew on this for a moment, Shepard picked Kispert one pick before Sengun. How many years now have we been the bride left at the altar in these drafts? Finally we got someone with star potential.

Let's not play that game... Haliburton?

Sheppard needed to be perfect with the draft for the Beal decision to make any sense and he just blew it.

There was a perennial playoff team in the draft there for the Wizards with a legit future.

Coulibaly is the kind of pick he would have whiffed on, because he was going for high floor, low ceiling complementary guys that could help the team NOW.... :nonono:

Clarke, Haliburton, Sengun, Eason, Coulibaly.. sigh.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#267 » by FAH1223 » Fri Dec 8, 2023 11:26 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 884

Post#268 » by badinage » Fri Dec 8, 2023 4:08 pm

Frichuela wrote:Excited about his progress. They need to up his usage more!

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=GWeuz7j_sc5cBYZzdD92Tw

What’s kind of remarkable is, he’s still so raw and (apart from 3s) has no real place on offense so much of the time … and yet he’s averaging these numbers.

If he can speed up the 3 ball — a big if … and if he can add 30 lbs over the next 3 years … and if he keeps developing at this rate … he’s going to have a super-bright future.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#269 » by nate33 » Fri Dec 8, 2023 4:43 pm

badinage wrote:What’s kind of remarkable is, he’s still so raw and (apart from 3s) has no real place on offense so much of the time … and yet he’s averaging these numbers.

If he can speed up the 3 ball — a big if … and if he can add 30 lbs over the next 3 years … and if he keeps developing at this rate … he’s going to have a super-bright future.

We can't forget that Bilal's production is being significantly aided by the fact that nobody is really guarding him. Philly used his man to protect the paint. They even put Embiid on him for a while. Bilal is doing a great job of being opportunistic and attacking teams that ignore him like this, but it's far from a sure thing that he can just up his usage efficiently if we run more plays through him. For now, he is a 5th option only.

I'm not hating. Being a capable 5th option on offense who can hit wide open 3's and attack closeouts is a great start for a 19-year-old defensive menace. But it's going to take time and practice before he can boost his usage and be asked to make decisions with the ball. Case in point, he has the 7th worst turnover percentage in the league right now.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#270 » by nate33 » Sat Dec 9, 2023 10:46 pm

Chase Hughes wrote a really good article on Bilal Coulibaly today:

Here's a bit about Kuzma mentoring him:
Coulibaly is honest when it comes to exactly what else he believes he can do. The rookie has become entrenched in watching film, looking for clues in how to improve. Veteran Kyle Kuzma told him to watch as much of it as possible and he's fallen headfirst into the practice.

When Coulibaly watches games back, he notices moments where if he tried just a little bit harder, it might have changed a play. For a player whose effort isn't being questioned by anyone, Coulibaly expects more of himself the more he learns what going the extra mile can mean at the NBA level.

"More sprinting, running a little bit more in transition and everything. Even if I'm not open, somebody's going to [follow] me, so it opens up something for somebody else. When I look at film, it seems like I could sprint a little bit more," he said.

Coulibaly isn't only watching himself when he studies Wizards games. He says he keeps a keen eye on Kuzma whenever he is on the court. Coulibaly sees some of his future in Kuzma, who at 28 years old is putting up career numbers this season.

Since arriving in Washington in 2021, Kuzma has developed a consistent method as a scorer by using his size and speed to overwhelm defenders while attacking downhill.

"I watch the whole game to see how he plays. There's a lot to take," Coulibaly said. “He's been talking to me a lot about eventually going through the guy when going up for the layup. He's got some great advice for me.”

On changes to his shooting form:
On the offensive end, Coulibaly has displayed more than Unseld Jr. or anyone else anticipated, especially as a 3-point shooter. Coulibaly recently admitted how even he didn't expect to be shooting as well as he has so far.

That is not to say it is by accident. In fact, Coulibaly made several changes to his shooting mechanics late in the offseason, in between the draft and training camp.

Coulibaly was working out in Dallas with his trainer, Tim Martin, and Wizards assistant coach Mike Miller. The process began with his footwork.

"Making sure at least one foot is nailed in the ground before the catch just to be able to sustain his balance and making sure his movements are more fluid as he is getting into his release," Martin told Monumental Sports Network.

Another adjustment involved his hand placement. Coulibaly says as of his playoff run with the Metro 92s, he was putting his left hand, his off-hand, in front of the ball when he shot. Now he holds it from the side, allowing him to better guide the ball towards the basket with his right hand.

"I've got big hands, so it was tough at the beginning, but now I get it. The shot is just more natural," Coulibaly said.

I remember noticing in training camp that he had his hand in front of the ball during his release a la John Wall. It's good to see that he has cleaned that up.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,112

Post#271 » by J-Ves » Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:38 am

Bilal Kuzibaly
NatP4
RealGM

Post#272 » by NatP4 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:56 pm

Last 5 per36:

17.5 points 7.2 rebounds 2.5 assists 1.7 steals 0.7 blocks 68.2% TS.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#273 » by tontoz » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:27 pm

During the game last night they said BC leads the team in 3 pt % and steals. :nod:
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,906

Post#274 » by TGW » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:15 pm

tontoz wrote:During the game last night they said BC leads the team in 3 pt % and steals. :nod:

Is it really hard to imagine him being the best player on the team by next season?
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,906

Re: Bilal Coulabaly 

Post#275 » by TGW » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:16 pm

gambitx777 wrote:This kid could still grow an inch or two .

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app

He already has. Think he's a legit 6'8 now.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#276 » by NatP4 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:02 pm

TGW wrote:
tontoz wrote:During the game last night they said BC leads the team in 3 pt % and steals. :nod:

Is it really hard to imagine him being the best player on the team by next season?

Besides Buzelis :nod:
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#277 » by tontoz » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:50 pm

TGW wrote:

That is a pretty low bar. :lol:

There is no rush. It takes time for most players to develop. Remember that Beal didn't average 20 until year 5. 3 & D is a good place to start.

When he tries to handle the ball in traffic that's when his inexperience shows. His motor and IQ are good so he certainly has a high ceiling. A lot of young players are lacking one or the other.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Post#278 » by remi_222 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:32 pm

tontoz wrote:
TGW wrote:

That is a pretty low bar. :lol:

There is no rush. It takes time for most players to develop. Remember that Beal didn't average 20 until year 5. 3 & D is a good place to start.

When he tries to handle the ball in traffic that's when his inexperience shows. His motor and IQ are good so he certainly has a high ceiling. A lot of young players are lacking one or the other.

Absolutely ! He's so raw on fastbreak with his predictable slow euro step, he needs to make those mistakes without having the pressure of the consequences. He's not the best best player on the roster, and still won't be next yr ! I went to see all his games last yr in Paris and it all started the same way : come in as an promise, delevers and learn quick, then goes onto the next step and he repeats the same formula : adapt, learn and delivers.
Let him continue with this formula please !!!
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#279 » by payitforward » Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:00 pm

Hard to say enough good about the kid....
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 884

Re: Bilal Coulabaly 

Post#280 » by badinage » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:46 pm

TGW wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:This kid could still grow an inch or two .

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app

He already has. Think he's a legit 6'8 now.

In shoes, or without?

Return to Washington Wizards