Official Tristan Vukčević Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Re: Official Tristan Vukčević Thread 

Post#41 » by nate33 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:30 pm

I'm okay with either decision. If he is stashed, we just postpone the starting of his rookie contract and get him an extra year of development and strength training before asking him to bang against NBA athletes. If we sign him, it looks like we will actually have some minutes available to play him.

I think the best scenario would be to stash him and then trade one of Wright/Shamet for Kai Jones or some other youngish (but older than Vuk) backup center who could plausibly be part of the rotation with some future upside potential. Ideally, that center is a smallball 5 type of guy who is switchable, to give us a different look than the Daniel Gafford drop coverage scheme.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#42 » by gambitx777 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:48 pm

I hate the idea if stashing him. But I assume we are waiting to see how trade of a few of our vets play out.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#43 » by nate33 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:48 pm

Read on Twitter
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#44 » by FAH1223 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:48 pm

Read on Twitter
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#45 » by Scabs304 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:52 pm

Seems the best financial decision for the Bullets either way. Lets hope he develops more and he turns in a bona-fide rotation player next year for us.
I am Scabs.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#46 » by Frichuela » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:53 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

So they just need Gill to head to Europe and the final 15 is set…that is unless they manage a last minute trade of someone like Delon Wright…
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#47 » by Frichuela » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:54 pm

This probably means a fair share of small ball with someone like Kuz/Deni at center…
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#48 » by closg00 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:01 pm

I'm fine with the stash, I just have to assume that tanking our front court is part of a larger tanking strategy, we have no front court.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#49 » by WallToWall » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:10 pm

He needs at least a year to better his game, so staying at Partizan is a good idea. Specifically, he needs to work on his D, and awareness. One could make a case for the G-league.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#50 » by DCZards » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:41 pm

Frichuela wrote:This probably means a fair share of small ball with someone like Kuz/Deni at center…

I expect the Zards to sign a backup C before the start of the season. I’d be fine with bringing back Jay Huff.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#51 » by payitforward » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:32 pm

DCZards wrote:
Frichuela wrote:This probably means a fair share of small ball with someone like Kuz/Deni at center…

I expect the Zards to sign a backup C before the start of the season. I’d be fine with bringing back Jay Huff.

We do have Muscala in addition to Gaff. &, we're still at 16 players. Even if Gill heads back to Europe, to add another player, someone else will have to go.

We do have a free 2-way spot.

(Speaking of which, Zards, Huff is on a 2-way deal with Denver.)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#52 » by gambitx777 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:32 am

I think Gill will be gone. Then I think it's a simple task to clear a spot of too. Cooks can go at any time, his buddy is only on an exhibit 10 not a two way that means he's probably gogo bound. Guys from OKC we took as a two way is 26 he's probably gonna get released and signed to the gogo. So I wouldn't worry about him.

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#53 » by doclinkin » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:54 am

Which would give better results than relying in a rookie whose defense renders him currently unplayable. No matter how tall he is. Vuk is simply not ready to play at this level. Let's let PBJr try to earn that spot, and bring Vuk over after he has gotten a little tougher and stronger, if not faster. I'm all for tanking, but uninterested in deliberately playing guys who are just plain bad at a key aspect of the game. A center needs to defend, otherwise the team is sunk. I don't mind Mike Muscala a few extra possessions a game instead of forcefeeding Vuk minutes while the team is swept away in a rip current of easy buckets. Vuk was getting blown past in summerball against players who will never make the league. Let him earn minutes on a team that won the championship of their league, in pressure cooker atmosphere of furiously passionate fans. Learn to win, then bring him over, instead of learn to sit the bench and get comfortable with losses.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#54 » by doclinkin » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:09 am

gambitx777 wrote:I think Gill will be gone. Then I think it's a simple task to clear a spot of too. Cooks can go at any time, his buddy is only on an exhibit 10 not a two way that means he's probably gogo bound. Guys from OKC we took as a two way is 26 he's probably gonna get released and signed to the gogo. So I wouldn't worry about him.

No need. If Gill is gone and Vuk is delayed a year we are at 15 players. With only 2 of 3 two-way spots filled.

Partway through the year maybe we pull a consolidation trade to free up a roster spot, or trade a guard for a back-up 5. But we can go 3 deep in playable guys at most positions. We don't win the match with all of them, but at least can give minutes to guys who have a role in the league.

PG Tyus, Poole, Wright, Shamet
SG Poole, Kispert, Shamet
SF Deni, Kispert, Kuz
PF Kuz, Gallinari, Deni
C Gafford, Muscala, Small ball.

If Bilal, Davis, Butler, PBJr, or Rollins can earn their way into the rotation, excellent. Otherwise we can stock the GoGo with development players who we can test out when injuries call for it. I fully expect we will see one or more young players make a jump and steal minutes at some point over the year.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#55 » by DCZards » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:07 pm

I think Bilal is definitely in the rotation. Even if it’s just 8-10 mins a game. Davis will get minutes as well.

Need to develop at least those two youngins.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#56 » by payitforward » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:47 pm

Another year in Europe may be the right thing for Vukcevic, but it's a disappointment for the team all the same.

16 players were taken after Vuk in the '23 draft.

8 of them have gotten 2-way deals: Seth Lundy, Jordan Miller, Emoni Bates, Keyontae Johnson, Jalen Wilson, Jaylen Clark, Jalen Slawson & Isaiah Wong.

1, G.G. Jackson, is almost certain to get the Grizzlies' last 2-way slot.

& 5 have gotten regular roster NBA contracts: Sidy Cissoko, Rayan Rupert, Toumani Camara, Trayce Jackson-Davis, & Chris Livingston.

Only 2 will be stashed -- Tarik Biberovic, taken #53 by Memphis, & Mojave King.

It's also worth mentioning that another 13 guys who went undrafted have also received 2-way deals with NBA teams: Ricky Council, Terquavion Smith, Azuolis Tubelis, Oscar Tshiebwe, Craig Porter Jr, Mike Miles, Adama Sanogo, Omari Moore, Tosan Evbruomwan, Colin Castleton, D'Moi Hodge, Alex Fudge & Sir'Jabari Rice.

In fairness, both Rollins & Baldwin are younger than e.g. Trayce Jackson-Davis.
All the same, managing to add 1 rookie out of what most people are calling the deepest draft in many years cannot exactly be viewed as a triumph.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#57 » by doclinkin » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:14 pm

moved to line-ups thread
payitforward
RealGM

Post#58 » by payitforward » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:22 pm

ditto
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#59 » by penbeast0 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:11 am

Partizan just signed Frank Kaminsky. Hopefully this helps Vukcevic's development by working against a veteran NBA player in practice rather than just a signing intended to take his minutes.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#60 » by gambitx777 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:55 am

I don't like it. He's be better off playing with the gogo. But it's not a failure either.

Return to Washington Wizards