Official Tristan Vukčević Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Re: Official Tristan Vukčević Thread 

Post#61 » by nate33 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:08 am

payitforward wrote:Another year in Europe may be the right thing for Vukcevic, but it's a disappointment for the team all the same.

16 players were taken after Vuk in the '23 draft.

8 of them have gotten 2-way deals: Seth Lundy, Jordan Miller, Emoni Bates, Keyontae Johnson, Jalen Wilson, Jaylen Clark, Jalen Slawson & Isaiah Wong.

1, G.G. Jackson, is almost certain to get the Grizzlies' last 2-way slot.

& 5 have gotten regular roster NBA contracts: Sidy Cissoko, Rayan Rupert, Toumani Camara, Trayce Jackson-Davis, & Chris Livingston.

Only 2 will be stashed -- Tarik Biberovic, taken #53 by Memphis, & Mojave King.

It's also worth mentioning that another 13 guys who went undrafted have also received 2-way deals with NBA teams: Ricky Council, Terquavion Smith, Azuolis Tubelis, Oscar Tshiebwe, Craig Porter Jr, Mike Miles, Adama Sanogo, Omari Moore, Tosan Evbruomwan, Colin Castleton, D'Moi Hodge, Alex Fudge & Sir'Jabari Rice.

In fairness, both Rollins & Baldwin are younger than e.g. Trayce Jackson-Davis.
All the same, managing to add 1 rookie out of what most people are calling the deepest draft in many years cannot exactly be viewed as a triumph.

I don’t think that just because Vukcevic is being stashed implies that he is somehow a worse prospect than several guys on 2-way deals or regular contracts. Vukcevic was stashed because he can be, because he already plays for an overseas team. Frankly, it’s an advantage, not a sign that he is a bad pick. I’m happy that he got stashed because it postpones the start of they clock on his rookie deal.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#62 » by payitforward » Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:17 pm

All good points....

In fact, given that we don't *need* Vukcevic this year (b/c we don't really have a "this year" goal), stashing him gives us another roster spot to use.

Which underlines your last point -- we've just gotten going on what is obviously a multi-year process: it's a plus that Vuk's rookie deal will start next year instead of this.

You're right; I was wrong -- just impatience on my part.
You'd think 7 guys 22 or under would suffice! :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Pokuokic
Senior
And1: 910

Post#63 » by Pokuokic » Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:39 am

If he's staying at Partizan that's the most idiotic choice ever, they just signed Frank Kaminsky (legit to do what he does) and have Zach LeDay and will sign another C soon (on top of already having former Pistons 2nd round pick Balsa Koprovica). The coach hates him, him staying is another wasted year where he will not improve only playing time he will get is against weak teams in the ABA.
Hibachi_0
Sophomore
And1: 92

Post#64 » by Hibachi_0 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:33 am

Taking into account how much we suck and especially how much our interior rotation does, couldn't one of those spots have been used in Vuk? I mean we would be terrible either way and at least he would get used to the NBA rhythm.

By the way, for any of you wondering (probably not many), Nzosa is as far as a player can be from being an NBA player. He is sucking big time in the Spanish 2nd division. He just has started to play since his injury, but it doesn't look promising tbh.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,163

Post#65 » by AFM » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:42 am

I called for this earlier and it was implied that I was a moron
Hibachi_0
Sophomore

Post#66 » by Hibachi_0 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:16 am

AFM wrote:I called for this earlier and it was implied that I was a moron

I'd rather have Vuk on the roster than Butler Jr, Baldwin Jr, Omoruyi or Muscala. Even more with the limited minutes he'll have in Partizan.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#67 » by closg00 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:08 am

Hibachi_0 wrote:
AFM wrote:I called for this earlier and it was implied that I was a moron

I'd rather have Vuk on the roster than Butler Jr, Baldwin Jr, Omoruyi or Muscala. Even more with the limited minutes he'll have in Partizan.

Agree
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#68 » by doclinkin » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:22 pm

I did think he was going to get more PT and development playing with the Greek team his dad coaches. Playing on the championship Partizan roster I expect he will earn fewer minutes than he could here. The stakes are higher, they don't have room or time for him to fail on defense.
Hibachi_0
Sophomore

Post#69 » by Hibachi_0 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:33 am

Vuk is coming to the Wizards next season.

Read on Twitter
dorianwrite
Rookie
And1: 272

Post#70 » by dorianwrite » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:43 am

Hibachi_0 wrote:Vuk is coming to the Wizards next season.

Read on Twitter

Interestingly, it sounds like he may be coming over to the NBA now. I'm reading that the Wiz used a contract clause to buy him out and get him over here immediately. Maybe an audition during the super low-stakes end of this crappy season?
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#71 » by Frichuela » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:10 am

dorianwrite wrote:
Hibachi_0 wrote:Vuk is coming to the Wizards next season.

Read on Twitter

Interestingly, it sounds like he may be coming over to the NBA now. I'm reading that the Wiz used a contract clause to buy him out and get him over here immediately. Maybe an audition during the super low-stakes end of this crappy season?

You may be right and something to look forward to in an otherwise miserable season…

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=GWeuz7j_sc5cBYZzdD92Tw
closg00
RealGM

Post#72 » by closg00 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:29 pm

Great news, we need another big so fly him in...
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#73 » by Benjammin » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:53 pm

I love "the ransom clause" language...
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,906

Post#74 » by TGW » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:59 pm

closg00 wrote:Great news, we need another big so fly him in...

He's not what I would consider as a "big." More of a tall wing. He doesn't really do anything to classify him as a big.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#75 » by nate33 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:16 pm

I'm torn. On one hand, this is a good pro-active move given that our other two centers are hurt and there will be a ton of minutes available immediately. On the other hand, this starts the clock on his rookie contract a year early.

I guess the assumption here is that his true upside is probably just as an off-the-bench rotation player. He probably won't pan out to be so good that his next contract will be anything more than MLE type money, so we're not worried about him hitting free agency early.
Endless Loop
Sophomore
And1: 175

Post#76 » by Endless Loop » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:16 pm

It made sense for them to stash him overseas for a year, so he could improve without starting the clock on an NBA contract. But it seems a bit desperate to bring him over 3/4 of the way through the season and burn that year of contract eligibility. If they wanted him on board this season, why didn't they do so at the start of the year? It's not like they've had depth at the center position.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#77 » by nate33 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:24 pm

TGW wrote:

He's not what I would consider as a "big." More of a tall wing. He doesn't really do anything to classify him as a big.

FWIW, his rebounding numbers in summer league were about what Richaun Holmes has done for us in regular season games. So, I'd say he is playing like a big, but not a very big big. :D
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#78 » by nate33 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:31 pm

He averaged 21 points, 7 boards, 1.3 assists and 1.1 blocks per 36 minutes for Partizan Belgrade. He hit 44% of his 3's on 7 attempts per 36. His TS% was .705! He got to the free throw line a fair amount too, 5.6 FTA's per 36.
closg00
RealGM

Post#79 » by closg00 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:04 pm

nate33 wrote:
TGW wrote:

FWIW, his rebounding numbers in summer league were about what Richaun Holmes has done for us in regular season games. So, I'd say he is playing like a big, but not a very big big. :D

He will fill out, we used him as a big and he will be part of front court depth switching from 4/5.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#80 » by NatP4 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:39 pm

TGW wrote:

Yeah I don’t see it. I liked the swing in the draft, but I didn’t see much in the summer league. He would have to be a Bertans type of shooter to have enough positive impact to offset the fact that’s he’s too slow laterally to play the 4 and too soft, not a rebounder or rim protector required to play the 5.

He’s more exciting than Patrick freaking Baldwin though

Return to Washington Wizards