Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,362

Re: Official Tristan Vukčević Thread 

Post#101 » by nate33 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:47 pm

Mickey8 wrote:

lol at Vukcevic being credited for an assist on that play at the :50 mark of the video.
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 554

Post#102 » by daSwami » Fri Apr 5, 2024 8:27 pm

I've seen enough. I'm a Vuk believer.
:banghead:
JAR69
Senior
And1: 224

Post#103 » by JAR69 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 8:57 pm

Agent OO
"It takes talent, strategy and millions of dollars to compete in the N.B.A. But regret is the league’s greatest currency." - Howard Beck
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 901

Post#106 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Apr 6, 2024 2:02 pm

So are we all in on this guy? There's definitely been some good and bad, to be expected with the way he's just kind of being thrown out there all of a sudden, new league, and going against a skill level of players he's never faced before. All in all he seems to be adapting well and holding his own. He seems big out there and has a presence. His defense has been the biggest weak spot, but he has made some plays on that end, and I've noticed several times where someone penetrates the lane and then backs out just because he's there with his size.

If he plays this summer with Antetokounmpo that could be a great experience for him. IMO that benefits him more than summer league.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,324

Post#107 » by NatP4 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 2:10 pm

Minuscule sample size, but Vukcevic leads the team in On/Off differential and is posting 18.3 points 8.7 rebounds 2.7 assists 1.3 steals 1.0 blocks 1.7 turnovers on 54.1% TS.

Markkanen’s rookie year: 18.4 points 9.1 rebounds 1.4 assists 0.7 steals 0.7 blocks 1.5 turnovers on 55% TS.

Not saying he’s Markkanen, but there’s certainly a potentially elite archetype out there for a player like Vukcevic, and that’s exciting for a 42nd overall pick.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#108 » by nate33 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 2:24 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:So are we all in on this guy? There's definitely been some good and bad, to be expected with the way he's just kind of being thrown out there all of a sudden, new league, and going against a skill level of players he's never faced before. All in all he seems to be adapting well and holding his own. He seems big out there and has a presence. His defense has been the biggest weak spot, but he has made some plays on that end, and I've noticed several times where someone penetrates the lane and then backs out just because he's there with his size.

If he plays this summer with Antetokounmpo that could be a great experience for him. IMO that benefits him more than summer league.

Yeah, I'm all in. His defense is definitely a weakness, but most of the problem is simply that he isn't strong enough.

I've posted before that a lot of these ball-skill European bigs tend to have a late breakout in their mid-20's after they acclimate themselves to the NBA game. Go look at the numbers for guys like Sabonis, Marc Gasol, Markkanen, Mo Wagner, Bogut, Porzingis, Vucevic, and Jokic. They don't hit their statistical peak production in metrics like WS/48 until age 25-27. The guys developed within the American system - guys like Anthony Davis, Clint Capela, Al Horford, Myles Turner, Nic Claxton etc. typically hit a peak WS/48 very early in their career. They may get better with their basketball savvy later in their careers, but that's usually offset by a decline in athleticism, rebounding and shot blocking so that they're never really much better than they were at 23 or so.

It wouldn't surprise me if Vukcevic got a lot better in the coming years. There is so much room for growth just by getting stronger, learning to understand the NBA game, and honing that 3-ball so it goes in as much as it looks like it should go in.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,927

Post#109 » by tontoz » Sat Apr 6, 2024 2:24 pm

I like how often he rolls to the rim on the pick and roll. Some guys who can shoot will automatically pick and pop and miss out on some easy looks inside. He has scored several times rolling to the rim and finishing well.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,190

Post#110 » by Mickey8 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 7:26 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:So are we all in on this guy? There's definitely been some good and bad, to be expected with the way he's just kind of being thrown out there all of a sudden, new league, and going against a skill level of players he's never faced before. All in all he seems to be adapting well and holding his own. He seems big out there and has a presence. His defense has been the biggest weak spot, but he has made some plays on that end, and I've noticed several times where someone penetrates the lane and then backs out just because he's there with his size.

He wont ever play with Giannis for the Greek NT but he might play with Jokic if he passes Serbian NT try outs this summer :wink: And if Jokic finally accepts to play for us again. That's why he was waiting for three years for that stupid FIBA ban to expire . His father was explicit who will Vukcevic represent so was Tristan himself.
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,190

Post#111 » by Mickey8 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 7:32 pm

nate33 wrote:

Yeah, I'm all in. His defense is definitely a weakness, but most of the problem is simply that he isn't strong enough.

I've posted before that a lot of these ball-skill European bigs tend to have a late breakout in their mid-20's after they acclimate themselves to the NBA game. Go look at the numbers for guys like Sabonis, Marc Gasol, Markkanen, Mo Wagner, Bogut, Porzingis, Vucevic, and [b]Jokic[/b]. They don't hit their statistical peak production in metrics like WS/48 until age 25-27. The guys developed within the American system - guys like Anthony Davis, Clint Capela, Al Horford, Myles Turner, Nic Claxton etc. typically hit a peak WS/48 very early in their career. They may get better with their basketball savvy later in their careers, but that's usually offset by a decline in athleticism, rebounding and shot blocking so that they're never really much better than they were at 23 or so.

It wouldn't surprise me if Vukcevic got a lot better in the coming years. There is so much room for growth just by getting stronger, learning to understand the NBA game, and honing that 3-ball so it goes in as much as it looks like it should go in.

Jokic stats would have been great off the start if Denver didn't have the dumb dilemma who would they built team around, Jokic or Nurkic :roll:
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 838

Post#112 » by 9 and 20 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 11:07 pm

All in on this dude and with all the mentions of Jokic, I'll be disappointed with anything less.

If this guy can do the same thing Deni has over the past couple of years with getting stronger, he'll be really good. As it is now even, he's playable. Are they going to sign him to a long term deal? I saw he was only signed for next year.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#113 » by nate33 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 2:21 am

9 and 20 wrote:All in on this dude and with all the mentions of Jokic, I'll be disappointed with anything less.

If this guy can do the same thing Deni has over the past couple of years with getting stronger, he'll be really good. As it is now even, he's playable. Are they going to sign him to a long term deal? I saw he was only signed for next year.

We have RFA rights and Bird Rights, and the Gilbert Arenas Provision applies. He is staying for a while.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,164

Post#114 » by AFM » Sun Apr 7, 2024 3:14 am

nate33 wrote:
9 and 20 wrote:All in on this dude and with all the mentions of Jokic, I'll be disappointed with anything less.

We have RFA rights and Bird Rights, and the Gilbert Arenas Provision applies. He is staying for a while.

True. Still a real questionable decision on the FO part.
Pokuokic
Senior
And1: 911

Post#115 » by Pokuokic » Sun Apr 7, 2024 3:37 am

I was not expecting him to be so mobile he looked way slower/less athletic even against ABA comp but I'm starting to think he was just uptight/nervous non stop playing for Partizan where the coach would look to pull him from the game at any chance and he could play with zero freedom. His athletic ability besides strength is excellent for a 7 footer I think he can play the PF as well.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,532

Post#116 » by closg00 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:03 pm

Anyone know what happened with his knee injury?

Return to Washington Wizards