ImageImageImageImageImage

WaPo: Could Monumental (Wizards/Capitals) leave DC for NOVA? UPDATE: Monumental is NOT MOVING!

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Is this just negotiation?

Yes, they're staying in DC and trying to upgrade the arena
37%
No, they will move to Virginia
63%

Total votes: 19

FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

WaPo: Could Monumental (Wizards/Capitals) leave DC for NOVA? UPDATE: Monumental is NOT MOVING! 

Post#1 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:15 pm

Read on Twitter

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/06/23/monumental-nationals-dc-bowser/

In the next few weeks, the NFL is expected to approve Josh Harris’s purchase of the Washington Commanders, which will rev up a competition for a new stadium between D.C., Maryland and Virginia. And while D.C. Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D) has championed the Commanders’ return to their former home at the site of RFK Stadium, friction has been building between the District and several of the professional sports teams that already play there.

In recent months, representatives from Monumental Sports & Entertainment — which owns the Washington Capitals, Wizards and Mystics — and the Washington Nationals have spoken separately with city government officials about the funding of improvements they deem necessary to their facilities. MSE executives have also talked to Virginia government officials about relocating the Capitals and Wizards from downtown D.C. to Northern Virginia, near Amazon’s new HQ2, according to three people with knowledge of the situation, who were not authorized to speak publicly about negotiations.

Two people familiar with the talks, including a Monumental official, described them as preliminary and exploratory.

Ted Leonsis, Monumental’s founder and CEO, and Monica Dixon, its president of external affairs and chief administrative officer, met with D.C. Council chair Phil Mendelson (D) on June 15 to discuss concerns about Capital One Arena — particularly, costly improvements they hope the city will help pay for as an investment in a major economic driver in the struggling downtown. The arena, which Leonsis owns, opened in 1997 and is one of the older venues in the NHL and NBA.

The city is not obligated to pay for upgrades, though in 2007, it invested $50 million of public funding into capital improvements to the arena.

Mendelson characterized the June meeting as “positive” and said the conversation focused largely on upgrades, not potential relocation. He said they did not discuss how much money the District would or could provide.

“The issue is that Monumental Sports wants to stay, but, like the Nationals, there’s a lot of deferred maintenance in the arena — and it’s a cost,” Mendelson said. “The city has been a partner in the past; from their perspective, their question was, ‘Are you willing to be a partner?’ My answer is yes.”

As stadium competition looms, Commanders lobby Congress over future of RFK

The Nationals, meanwhile, have gone back and forth with Events DC, the city’s operator of Nationals Park, about who should fund a number of capital improvements, among them a new scoreboard/big screen and energy-efficient stadium lights, according to two people familiar with those discussions.

So as Bowser lobbies for D.C. to gain control of RFK, which would make the site a realistic possibility for the Commanders, she and other city leaders must consider requests from top officials at MSE and the Nationals when evaluating a finite budget.

The mayor’s office declined a request for an interview.

“We are in constant discussions with our sports partners about how we can work together to support their success,” a spokesperson wrote as part of a lengthy statement.

Since Leonsis bought the Capitals in 1999, he has regularly expanded his empire. For years, he’s grumbled about having to pay a mortgage on Capital One Arena, which costs him an estimated $36 million annually. In 2016, Leonsis said he had “the worst building deal in professional sports” and suggested that, when he paid off the mortgage, he could leave the city.

“My inclination right now would be — it’s pretty awesome where we are,” Leonsis said in 2016. “And I love what’s happened to [downtown] D.C. But I don’t know what’s going to happen five, six, seven years from now. … I will be a free agent. I mean, that hasn’t been lost on me.”

The arena also has a ground lease — meaning Monumental owns the building, and the city owns the land below it. In 2007, in exchange for the city’s $50 million investment, then-arena owner Abe Pollin exercised two 10-year options to extend the lease from its original end date, 2027, to 2047, according to a copy of the lease obtained by The Washington Post.

But the lease won’t necessarily keep Monumental in the city. If the bond on the lease is paid in full — and Monumental is allowed to pay the remaining $35 million in principal in a lump sum — the lease extensions would be nullified, meaning the end date would revert to 2027.

In 2019, Monumental completed a $70 million, privately funded renovation project on Capital One. Improvements included the installation of a new scoreboard and upgraded suites and seats, but according to one official, the building still needs structural work. The HVAC systems and mechanisms that keep the ice cold need attention, and upgrades to the ceiling would allow the arena to host bigger concerts and events.

In the years since those renovations, as the pandemic and remote work have strained downtowns across the nation, Leonsis has complained about the area surrounding the arena and the city’s lack of investment in the building.

In May, Mendelson said he’d met with Bowser and discussed Monumental. Mendelson said the mayor was “quite clear” she wanted to work with Leonsis even though, according to two people, the relationship between Leonsis and Bowser is strained.

At the June 15 meeting, Mendelson said, his discussion with Leonsis and Dixon focused, in broad terms, on “how they could stay at the arena and deal with the deferred maintenance.” Mendelson said he expects more granular details, including specific upgrades and costs, to be laid out in future meetings. He noted that the arena brings about 3 million people downtown each year, calling the facility “important if we want downtown to recover.”

“We didn’t talk about public safety as much as I expected, but I do believe it’s a concern,” Mendelson said. “If we’re going to recover downtown from the pandemic, we’ve got to deal with the perception of public safety. There will be a discussion between them, the mayor and me.”

District leaders have struggled to curtail crimes in the city; homicides are up 12 percent over last year, according to the latest police data available, and violent crime is up 23 percent. Within a quarter-mile radius of Capital One Arena, there were 67 more crimes reported in the past two years compared to the two years prior, according to police data.

Community members and business owners near Chinatown have raised concerns about crime on the heavily-populated sidewalks near Gallery Place, including suspected drug dealing minor infractions that they said can lead to more serious violence.

In the past, the city provided 27 police officers to patrol the arena’s perimeter during games. But in recent years, as MPD has struggled with staffing, that number has shrunk to three, according to one Monumental official. Monumental has made up the difference by paying off-duty officers.

Nationals, Orioles reach agreement on past MASN payments

If Monumental were to leave for Virginia, it would follow Amazon into a neighborhood boosters have renamed “National Landing,” which has already started experiencing rapid transformation. (Amazon founder Jeff Bezos owns The Washington Post, and Amazon board member Patty Stonesifer is The Post’s interim CEO.) The move would be a major economic development win for both Arlington County and Gov. Glenn Youngkin (R), who has been mulling a 2024 presidential bid.

In a lengthy statement, a spokesperson for Monumental emphasized that the company has invested $125 million into the arena since 2010, and it plans to invest more than $80 million this year by “building out new office space, creating and equipping new state-of-the-art broadcast studios for our network and upgrading the arena’s infrastructure.”

“MSE has had great engagement with Mayor Bowser to ensure we maintain the greatest fan experience in and around Capital One Arena,” the spokesperson wrote. “We strongly support the Mayor’s Downtown Action Plan. We are celebrating the 25th anniversary of the arena this year and will continue to invest to build a best-in-class operation for the next 25 years.”

In 2005, D.C. created a special pot of money, the Ballpark Revenue Fund, to pay certain costs of the development, construction and renovation of a stadium. Now, the city uses the BRF to pay down the municipal bonds that funded the construction of Nationals Park.

The money in the BRF comes from four main sources, according to a spokesperson for the city’s Chief Financial Officer. The largest by far is the ballpark tax ($41.9 million in the 2022 fiscal year, according to a February 2023 report). The other three are taxes on sales at Nationals Park ($12.4 million in 2022), public utilities ($7.1 million) and telecommunication companies ($2.3 million).

When discussing capital improvements with Events DC, the Nationals have pointed to language in the statute that created the BRF, according to a person familiar with the team’s approach. According to the statute, the city should use the BRF to “to directly pay or finance all or any of the costs of any future renovations, improvements, maintenance or upgrades” to the ballpark, among other purposes. And though conversations about a new scoreboard are active and happening frequently, according to that person, the team and Events DC have not had specific discussions about how major upgrades would be funded, should the city greenlight them.

But as the city nears full repayment of its baseball bonds — which could happen as early as 2028, according to the CFO’s spokesperson — the Nationals may have to fight others interested in BRF funds. Once the bonds are fully paid off, the ballpark tax will “sunset and no longer be in effect,” the spokesperson wrote in an email to The Post. But the other taxes will remain in effect, and the city could decide to “to repurpose these funds for other initiatives, including funding other sports arenas.”

Events DC declined to comment.

Qatari fund seeks to buy minority stake in Wizards, Capitals and Mystics

Mendelson said the BRF came up in the conversation with Monumental in the June 15 meeting, but he declined to elaborate, other than to note the city has a tax structure related to the baseball stadium and the arena.

“The city already is a partner with the Nationals, and my view is that the city ought to continue to be supportive of Monumental,” he said.

“The Nationals look forward to continuing discussions with Events DC to ensure that the City’s ballpark remains modern, competitive, and sustainable,” a Nationals spokesperson wrote in a statement. “We feel that the revenues generated at the ballpark are the logical source for guaranteeing the ballpark’s future.”

This week, Leonsis strengthened his formidable empire. On Wednesday, he rebranded NBC Sports Washington, the regional sports network he acquired last fall, as “Monumental Sports Network,” and on Thursday, reports emerged about MSE’s prospective deal with Qatar’s sovereign wealth fund.

And Leonsis could make MSE stronger still. On Tuesday, following a decade of litigation, the regional sports network MASN agreed to pay the Nationals nearly $100 million to settle their fight with the Baltimore Orioles over the value of the Nationals’ local television rights from 2012 through 2016. The deal could revitalize the sale of the Nationals, which has been in a holding pattern for months. Leonsis, who made an offer to buy the Nationals last year, remains interested in acquiring the team.

The flurry of moves came on the heels of an interview Leonsis gave last week to Bloomberg in which he mulled taking MSE public. He said MSE already feels like a public company because “the scrutiny you’re under in running a sports team is, I think, much higher than a public company CEO has to live with.”

“We’d be prepared to do it,” he said. “The market would have to be right. We’d have to emotionally be ready to do something like that. But I think Monumental will be one of the three, four, five best-in-class organizations that, if that time was there, sure, we could go public.”

FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Re: WaPo: Could Monumental (Wizards/Capitals) leave DC for NOVA? 

Post#2 » by FAH1223 » Sun Jul 9, 2023 9:03 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#3 » by doclinkin » Sun Jul 9, 2023 10:09 pm

Gross. Dancing on the grave of Abe Pollin. Can't you just ask for some pocket change from Ms. Powell-Jobs and build a better venue in DC? Can we get some city pride here? These people have supported you through dismal times, how about you give back to the Community. Instead of talking about your values while trying to cash in on the deeper pockets of Northern Virginia. Nats Park revitalized a struggling area of DC, as did the MCI/Verizon/Whatever center in DC when it was built. NoVa does not need revitalization. Just a heart. Soul. No, I would have less joy cheering for the Virginia Wizards. And I'm in Maryland.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#4 » by closg00 » Sun Jul 9, 2023 11:43 pm

Ted is once-again completely clueless, and DUMB.I attend Wiz games because of the ease and convenience of taking Metro steps-away from the arena. I am far less-likely to attend a Wizards game in VA somewhere where I am trapped in Beltway hell after the game, I ain't doing it, attendance will drop, at-least initially.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#5 » by queridiculo » Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:25 pm

Leonsis showing his true colors once again.

Leaned on the city for his practice facility and now he's once again trying to dip into other peoples pockets to give his underachieving franchises a boost.

Shame. Shame. Shame.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#6 » by montestewart » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:49 pm

If they move to Crystal City, DC should sue them to force them to change their names to the Arlington Wizards and the Arlington Capitals. Or the Virginia Wizards. There’s a name with cachet. Virginia fundamentalists will be up in arms about this invasion of demonic Satanism in the form of Wizards. And the Capitals would be capitals of what? Probably not a winning argument legally, but it’ll keep Leonsis in the headlines, and anytime he’s in the headlines, he looks bad. We can teach Virginians to call him Turd.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#7 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:06 pm

I mean if he wants to kill off the fanbase sure. I'd be very interested to see the breakdown of who comes from where for Wizards games. I assume most Caps fans are in NOVA.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#8 » by verbal8 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:05 am

montestewart wrote:If they move to Crystal City, DC should sue them to force them to change their names to the Arlington Wizards and the Arlington Capitals. Or the Virginia Wizards. There’s a name with cachet. Virginia fundamentalists will be up in arms about this invasion of demonic Satanism in the form of Wizards. And the Capitals would be capitals of what? Probably not a winning argument legally, but it’ll keep Leonsis in the headlines, and anytime he’s in the headlines, he looks bad. We can teach Virginians to call him Turd.

What about the Arlington Bullets?
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#9 » by miller31time » Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:49 am

I might be completely off-base but the fact that we aren’t dead-last in attendance every damn year seems to be because of the transience of D.C. (Thus why our opponents get more cheers than we do on a nightly basis)

I don’t know how well this dumpster-fire of a franchise would do outside of the D.C bubble.
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#10 » by queridiculo » Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:40 pm

miller31time wrote:I might be completely off-base but the fact that we aren’t dead-last in attendance every damn year seems to be because of the transience of D.C. (Thus why our opponents get more cheers than we do on a nightly basis)

I don’t know how well this dumpster-fire of a franchise would do outside of the D.C bubble.

I'd imagine that those fans would still make the track, not too often you can see your favorite team play locally in that case.

As Monumental I'd be far more concerned with alienating the local basketball teams fan base that's put up with this subpar product for 40+ years.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,186

Post#11 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:18 pm

Didn't DC have to bribe the Nats to the tune of SIX HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS already??? What else do they want? Sickening billionaire behavior
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:19 pm

miller31time wrote:I might be completely off-base but the fact that we aren’t dead-last in attendance every damn year seems to be because of the transience of D.C. (Thus why our opponents get more cheers than we do on a nightly basis)

I don't have a horse in this race anymore but yeah, maybe moving the Zards franchise to NoVa (and changing the stupid, stupid name) would allow them to build up an actual loyal fanbase
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:20 pm

queridiculo wrote:

I'd imagine that those fans would still make the track, not too often you can see your favorite team play locally in that case.

As Monumental I'd be far more concerned with alienating the local basketball teams fan base that's put up with this subpar product for 40+ years.

I mean, it's a double edged sword. You could argue the product sucks because the fanbase actually sucks and half of them are there cheering for the other team. I stopped getting season tickets in disgust because of that.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,359

Post#14 » by nate33 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:23 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:
queridiculo wrote:

I mean, it's a double edged sword. You could argue the product sucks because the fanbase actually sucks and half of them are there cheering for the other team. I stopped getting season tickets in disgust because of that.

Nah, the fanbase doesn't suck. It's illogical to expect a devoted fanbase to a team that hasn't won 50 games in 43 years and consistently markets the opposition's stars when they come to town.

Start winning some championships, and maybe the fans will start showing pride in the team again.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#15 » by Benjammin » Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:29 pm

They don't even have to win championships. Be consistently competent and occasionally more than that.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:33 pm

nate33 wrote:
Zonkerbl wrote:
queridiculo wrote:

Nah, the fanbase doesn't suck. It's illogical to expect a devoted fanbase to a team that hasn't won 50 games in 43 years and consistently markets the opposition's stars when they come to town.

Start winning some championships, and maybe the fans will start showing pride in the team again.

43 years

yikes
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#17 » by queridiculo » Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:46 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:
nate33 wrote:
Zonkerbl wrote:

43 years

yikes

It's been 44 years/seasons since their title in the 1977/78 season.

16 winning seasons in that timespan, and I was generous and counted the 41-41 season in 2006/7.

Anybody blaming the fans, yikes.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:18 pm

sorry, these fans who pay money to show up and root against their home team, suck

44 seasons of crap basketball explains, but does not excuse, this behavior
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,163

Post#19 » by AFM » Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:38 pm

It's not Wizards fans that are showing up. It's mostly the opposing teams fans that live in the area, DC is very transient--whenever I go to a Wiz vs BOS game its like 70% BOS fans. Same w/ the LAL.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#20 » by doclinkin » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:26 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:sorry, these fans who pay money to show up and root against their home team, suck

44 seasons of crap basketball explains, but does not excuse, this behavior

What AFM said. And it's not even the transient fans. Winning teams build fanbases that travel. If you look at the cost of tickets in places like GSW, LAL, LAC, BOS even either New York team, it is far cheaper to not only buy tickets but add a flight and hotel room to attend a Wizards game than it is to buy even crappy seats in their home stadium. Fans arrive on buses and Amtrak for a day trip down the I-95 corridor.

When the Wizards are winning, or even if we have a compelling team, those tickets aren't as available on the secondary market. Fans showed up for the Webber era. The Hibachi era. Those home games against Chicago were loud loud. The local fans won't show up though just to watch a team that has been built to be mediocre. This area has a savvy fanbase when it comes to basketball knowledge. They pack the arena when local college teams make a run. The DMV prep school scene is a pipeline for NBA talent. Fans simply aren't going to spend $$ in a tight market if their loyalty is taken for granted and if we stink.

Other Cities have import populations who see it as a symbol of belonging to rep the home team. The franchise has been a joke to the TNT talking heads, no kid wants to rock the jersey of the losing team that Chuck and crew are clowning on. The diehard basketball fanbase though is not in Northern Virginia. A Virginia arena will suit the Amtrak and Dulles crowd but not the local folks who hit a bar downtown before the game, etc.

Ted talks so much noise about his double bottom line, but then to extort cash from a City that already gets kicked around by congress and forgotten about and has no tax base because the primary industry is tax free etc... This would be a hypocritical move that shows no reciprocal appreciation for the folks who do stick with the team for decades. Give back to the folks who stick with you even when you are terrible. Rep the name on the front of the jersey. The districts home team, not the Crystal City Cash Grab.

Return to Washington Wizards