ImageImageImageImageImage

WaPo: Could Monumental (Wizards/Capitals) leave DC for NOVA? UPDATE: Monumental is NOT MOVING!

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Is this just negotiation?

Yes, they're staying in DC and trying to upgrade the arena
37%
No, they will move to Virginia
63%

Total votes: 19

AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,163

Re: WaPo: Could Monumental (Wizards/Capitals) leave DC for NOVA? 

Post#61 » by AFM » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:00 pm

Read on Twitter

"I would never do that" kek.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#62 » by gambitx777 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:25 am

Am I the only dude who doesn't care about this. As a. Old mountain dwelling red neck I have no skin in the game for where they play at all.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 837

Post#63 » by 9 and 20 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:09 am

Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#64 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:14 pm

Great piece in the Post about the utter cravenness of Turd and this move.
In Rizzo we trust
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#65 » by queridiculo » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:22 pm

Leonsis has always used benevolence as a cover for his brazen greed.

The only thing that's managed to put a lid on his gullet so far is his ozempic regimen.

I wish him nothing but the worst going forward.
AFM
General Manager

Post#66 » by AFM » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:39 pm

no paywall so I suppose I can post it. by candace buckner:
The billionaire said “hold me accountable,” and then he slinked out the side door.

Just like he’s leaving the downtown building he said he wanted to stay in for at least another 15 years. And just like he’s discarding the city that once inspired his aspirations to lead and to steward, and to do right by its people.

Leonsis uttered some sentimental waste like that about five years ago. On a summer day of celebrations, when tens of thousands of people gathered on the National Mall. They were united by one of the rare things that can make strangers cry and hug and cheer together: the joy of a city’s team winning a championship. And Leonsis, the majority owner of that stimulant, was overcome. As he stood on a constructed stage, pops of red as far as his eyes could travel, Leonsis told the crowd all he ever wanted to do was look out at the people his teams served, and see love reflected back.

But on a cold Wednesday morning inside a pop-up tent somewhere in suburbia, all the District of Columbia could see was betrayal.

There he was, the owner of the Washington Wizards and the 2018 Stanley Cup champion Washington Capitals, elevated on another stage and meandering through disingenuous claims about uniting communities and being a good neighbor.

“That is the higher calling on everything that we do,” Leonsis said, “to build these legacies through winning championships, from doing the right things in the right way by our fans, so that people can appreciate the community that they live in.”

But Leonsis is making these promises to the Potomac Yard in Alexandria. He no longer wants the light of his benevolence to shine on Chinatown and Gallery Place, the urban neighborhood nestled in the heart of D.C. In the years following the pandemic, Chinatown’s challenges around the arena spiraled into daily scenes of homelessness, open drug use and crime. When Capital One opened in 1997, it revitalized the neighborhood. If the arena loses its two biggest tenants, then it wouldn’t be hard to imagine its regression into a ghost town.

In 2018, however, Leonsis bragged about staying, and told the Washington Business Journal: “I spent $110 million on renovations since I’ve owned the building … I could see us spending another $100 million over the coming years on infrastructure and technology right here. My goal: The building is 20 years old — I’d like to get another great 20 years out of it.”

Turns out, Leonsis didn’t want to wait that long to get the city’s leaders to help fix his arena. So, like a child spoiled by a lifetime of “yes,” and as the possessor of the shiny toy that all the other neighborhood kids want to play with, Leonsis snatched up his teams and left for a construction lot across the Potomac.

There, on Wednesday morning, Leonsis and his Monumental Sports & Entertainment crew participated in Alexandria’s victory lap. The Virginians on hand for the big announcement could not contain themselves. The emcee choked up during her introductory remarks, and the mayor of the city screamed his overly caffeinated “Good Morning!” into the microphone. And, just as Mayor Justin M. Wilson (D) was explaining how “we want you here” in Alexandria, a protesting resident of the community could be heard shouting his disagreement from outside the tent. Evidently they didn’t want everyone there.

“There’s something special about this place,” Wilson later said without a trace of irony, considering that beneath the tent were rocks and dirt.

If Monumental’s nonbinding agreement gets approved by the Virginia General Assembly and the Alexandria City Council, then this pile of mud would become a world-class development that includes a new arena, practice facilities, a fan plaza, restaurants, offices and retail. It was the same site that once was a rail yard. Then in the late 1980s, the site turned into a multi-screen movie theater and a massive parking lot. An Old Navy store anchored a strip mall across the street. Eventually, around the neighborhood, townhouses popped up. So did the population. But the area remains a place devoid of culture or character.

For years, the Capitals and Wizards have anchored a D.C. neighborhood rich in history and identity. At Capital One Arena, the teams reside next to trombone and electric guitar players serenading people walking by and storefronts styled in Chinese-inspired facades with roasted ducks hanging in the windows.

In Potomac Yard, they’ll play across the street from a Target.

The loyal hockey fan base likely will follow their team anywhere — how 'bout those Commonwealth Capitals? But Leonsis is proposing to take professional basketball away from a basketball-loving city. For his team that claims its #ForTheDistrict on its X profile, however, this isn’t just a move to another state. In taking the Wizards out of D.C., Leonsis threatens to take D.C. — their very soul — out of the Wizards.

Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D) should’ve known Leonsis wasn’t bluffing. Bowser should’ve remembered exactly whom she was dealing with: a man who obsesses over wanting more.

Around the time Bowser began her first term, Leonsis led an effort to bring the 2024 Olympics to the District — and one possibility floated was that a new Olympic stadium at the RFK site could later be repurposed into an NBA and NHL arena. Over time, Leonsis ramped up his complaints about paying a high mortgage on the arena in Chinatown — calling it “the worst building deal in professional sports” — and later asked for $600 million of public funding for renovations. For context, that amount is not unlike requests from other professional teams stationed in older arenas. And Monumental could leverage this request because it remained in negotiations with Virginia.

If Bowser thought, “He’ll never leave D.C.,” then that arrogance and gullibility should define her legacy as the mayor who lost two teams at once.

Leonsis’s rapaciousness to become a superpower in sports and forsake any civic responsibilities to a neighborhood at its most vulnerable time, along with the District’s dawdling, will mortally wound Washington as a major sports hub. Just when Leonsis and his enterprise could have been part of the solution for a struggling downtown, he’s adding to the problem by escaping to the sanitized safety of the 'burbs.

None of this mattered to the Virginians in the tent, though. Because they’re receiving the gift of two professional sports teams, and all the advantages and bragging rights that come with them. Leonsis said so, as he envisioned his Monumental Sports & Entertainment as the engine behind Potomac Yard’s economic boost. Yet, he still found it in his heart to throw a bone to his former love.

“We have a responsibility to do a great job and continue to invest in Washington, D.C.,” Leonsis said. “Hold me accountable. I feel like that’s not just words.”

And then, the man of so many words and such little substance left without taking questions. If he looked out to the people of Washington this morning, he would see something other than love reflected back.

:(
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#67 » by queridiculo » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:05 pm

AFM wrote:
WaPo wrote:And then, the man of so many words and such little substance left without taking questions.

:(

Translation, eat **** you plebs.
AFM
General Manager

Post#68 » by AFM » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:28 pm

From DCrez over at that other wizards website:

It's all pure greed. DC supposedly made X amount of dollars over 20yrs from the arena so Ted asks for all of it back. So how much did they really make if they acquiesced and gave him everything he wanted? Nothing? And even if they had- he would never have stayed. You know why? Because before a Wizards game you can drink beer, shoot pool, and throw darts across the street at Rocket Bar- to name one of several dozen ways you could spend money and not a red cent of it going into Ted's pocket.

Over the past 20yrs the billionaires have decided that's not fair, fans should not be allowed to spend any money in relation to an event that does not go into the owner's pocket. That's not possible at the CapOne location, it's downtown of a city, Ted doesnt control it. These new digs though? You will not be able to spend one penny in relation to a game or event that doesnt make Ted richer. There will be nothing in walking distance that isnt part of the entire complex, every bar and restaurant's lease payments will be enriching Ted and the other owners, literally every single cent you spend will find its way to Ted's pockets. That's been the shift over the years and what "entertainment complexes" are really about. The poster above put it perfectly- the new GSW arena feels like an airport. That is exactly the feel I get in all the spots that have popped up around NoVa over the past 15yrs and I suspect Ted's new place will be exactly that but on a bigger scale.

:banghead:
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#69 » by Frichuela » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:44 pm

AFM wrote:From DCrez over at that other wizards website:

It's all pure greed. DC supposedly made X amount of dollars over 20yrs from the arena so Ted asks for all of it back. So how much did they really make if they acquiesced and gave him everything he wanted? Nothing? And even if they had- he would never have stayed. You know why? Because before a Wizards game you can drink beer, shoot pool, and throw darts across the street at Rocket Bar- to name one of several dozen ways you could spend money and not a red cent of it going into Ted's pocket.

Over the past 20yrs the billionaires have decided that's not fair, fans should not be allowed to spend any money in relation to an event that does not go into the owner's pocket. That's not possible at the CapOne location, it's downtown of a city, Ted doesnt control it. These new digs though? You will not be able to spend one penny in relation to a game or event that doesnt make Ted richer. There will be nothing in walking distance that isnt part of the entire complex, every bar and restaurant's lease payments will be enriching Ted and the other owners, literally every single cent you spend will find its way to Ted's pockets. That's been the shift over the years and what "entertainment complexes" are really about. The poster above put it perfectly- the new GSW arena feels like an airport. That is exactly the feel I get in all the spots that have popped up around NoVa over the past 15yrs and I suspect Ted's new place will be exactly that but on a bigger scale.

:banghead:

Yep. DCrez hit the nail on the head.

Abe Pollin is spinning in his grave and thinking how did I sell the franchise to such a spineless greedy individual.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#70 » by Frichuela » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:03 am

Just an example on the impact on Downtown DC…

F**** Turd ya greedy prick

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=GWeuz7j_sc5cBYZzdD92Tw
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#71 » by penbeast0 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:08 am

I don't have a huge issue with moving the team to NoVa. Yes, modern sports teams are in it to make as much money as they can . . . that's not news. Pollin was a bit of an exception, but then again, he wasn't exactly a hard core businessman when it came to creating a winning team either.

I will have a huge issue if he moves the team to Vegas or Seattle because "we haven't supported the product," since the product has been subpar his entire tenure, but not to NoVA any more than I did when he moved from Landover into DC proper.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#72 » by FAH1223 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:33 am

Read on Twitter
?s=46
Read on Twitter
?s=46
AFM
General Manager

Post#73 » by AFM » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:36 am

penbeast0 wrote:I don't have a huge issue with moving the team to NoVa. Yes, modern sports teams are in it to make as much money as they can . . . that's not news. Pollin was a bit of an exception, but then again, he wasn't exactly a hard core businessman when it came to creating a winning team either.

I will have a huge issue if he moves the team to Vegas or Seattle because "we haven't supported the product," since the product has been subpar his entire tenure, but not to NoVA any more than I did when he moved from Landover into DC proper.

penbeast0
And1: 8,679

Post#74 » by penbeast0 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:54 am

Nah, we don't want to move them here, we have the Heat, even though I'm still a diehard Wizards fan for my sins.

To be fair, I was born at Fort Belvoir and lived more years in Alexandria than anywhere else in my lifetime so maybe I'm just a northern Virginia chauvinist.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
AFM
General Manager

Post#75 » by AFM » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:59 am

No, I was saying, of course you don't have a huge issue with them pulling up stakes, you're in FL. Some of us here live in downtown DC and are worried about what it will do to the already downward trajectory that the city is on. The principle of where they play is much less important to me, I don't really care if the Commanders arent technically in DC either.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#76 » by gambitx777 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:46 am

Yeah as long as they don't leave leave I don't have a big issue. The only place I wanna see my basketball team move to is Seattle or Pittsburgh.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#77 » by FAH1223 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:33 am

Read on Twitter
?s=46
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 884

Post#78 » by badinage » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:02 pm

queridiculo wrote:Leonsis has always used benevolence as a cover for his brazen greed.

The only thing that's managed to put a lid on his gullet so far is his ozempic regimen.

I wish him nothing but the worst going forward.

That first sentence of yours is so perfect. So true. Yes.

He’s one of these guys, and there are loads of them in the current super-capitalist class, who talk a great game when it comes to philanthropy, and giving back, and working for social causes … but none of this is what motivates them. It’s window dressing. What gets them off is not hard to see. Follow the money.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,906

Post#79 » by TGW » Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:34 am

I personally don’t care. It’s a greedy soulless owner moving to a soulless area with no culture. If the football team comes back to the city, I’ll follow them, and the Gizzards will fade back into even more obscurity.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#80 » by FAH1223 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:46 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Return to Washington Wizards