Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,362

Re: Jump into the Poole Party: The Official Jordan Poole Thread 

Post#321 » by nate33 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:35 pm

Frichuela wrote:
tontoz wrote:Yeah when Poole focuses on playmaking rather than chucking he becomes a much more effective player. I wonder if his recent play might mean that we dont try to resign Tyus. We could easily sign Butler to be the backup pg.

Yes, please!!! Tyus and Poole are a debacle together hence Tyus must go. If they can not arrange a sign and trade, I'd simply let Tyus go in the offseason.

Agreed.

No need to bring Tyus back except for a futile need to not "waste the asset". But that ship has sailed. We should have traded him for two SRP's when we had the chance. Let him go. Save the cap room. Sooner or later, there will be another Marvin Bagley situation where a team is willing to pay us to take on the salary of a useful role player.

Save the cap room for that day.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,978

Post#322 » by DCZards » Wed Apr 3, 2024 7:50 pm

nate33 wrote:High praise of Jordan Poole from Kispert

It is interesting how much Poole’s teammates rave about his personality and work ethic…and how he hasn’t let his struggles this season change who he is. Have heard it a few times from Kuz.

I too have been impressed by how well Poole has played as a PG this last month or so. Still not convinced that he’s the answer as the starter at PG…or that the Zards shouldn’t resign Jones. Need to see more.
Pistol King
Junior
And1: 457

Post#323 » by Pistol King » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:18 pm

I've read an interesting idea today, trading Poole and filler to the Nets for Ben Simmons.

Nets are one of only few destinations I can see thinking about acquiring a scorer like Poole. Simmons seems like a half-retired basketball player and he's guaranteed getting 40Mil next year. They would want to pay that money for someone who at least can score and shows durability.

Simmons can rest one season here comfortably before his contract is over when the team wouldn't have to treat a Jordan Clarkson type player as a starting PG and give his valuable minutes and usage for the players in this upcoming draft alongside Deni, Bilal, Butler and Vuk.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,927

Post#324 » by tontoz » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:21 pm

Poole definitely looks a lot better at the point but still takes too many bad shots. If he could get his shot selection under control he might actually look like a decent starter.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Pistol King
Junior

Post#325 » by Pistol King » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:37 pm

tontoz wrote:Poole definitely looks a lot better at the point but still takes too many bad shots. If he could get his shot selection under control he might actually look like a decent starter.

Did you read that article published a 1 month ago or so when they went into details about his situation and mentality?

Basically the notion was: I'm not the problem but rather the team is and how much they giving me the ball, never loosing confidence to take those type of shots because "this is who I've always been, and this is how I'm getting myself going".

I'm very skeptical he's ever gonna change it. Whether he puts up high scoring/assists games or bad games, each time with him on the floor feels.. the same. He doesn't have winning impact. And as I pointed on the Keefe thread, he has the worst W/S among 24 different players on the roster.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/WAS/2024.html#advanced::20

This is insanely bad considering he's treated by this org as a primary option. I want this franchise for once to build a team the right way. He could be decent if the org was treating him according to his real impact, but that's not the case.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#326 » by pcbothwel » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:59 pm

Pistol King wrote:I've read an interesting idea today, trading Poole to the Nets for Simmons and fillers.

Nets are one of only few destinations I can see thinking about acquiring a scorer like Poole. Simmons seems like a half-retired basketball player and he's guaranteed getting 40Mil next year. They would want to pay that money for someone who at least can score and shows durability.

Simmons can rest one season here comfortably before his contract is over when the team wouldn't have to treat a Jordan Clarkson type player as a starting PG and give his valuable minutes and usage for the players in this upcoming draft alongside Deni, Bilal, Butler and Vuk.

How does a Poole trade work with Cam Thomas playing 30+ MPG?
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,927

Post#327 » by tontoz » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:01 pm

Pistol King wrote:
tontoz wrote:Poole definitely looks a lot better at the point but still takes too many bad shots. If he could get his shot selection under control he might actually look like a decent starter.

Did you read that article published a 1 month ago or so when they went into details about his situation and mentality?

Basically the notion was: I'm not the problem but rather the team is and how much they giving me the ball, never loosing confidence to take those type of shots because "this is who I've always been, and this is how I'm getting myself going".

I'm very skeptical he's ever gonna change it. Whether he puts up high scoring/assists games or bad games, each time with him on the floor feels.. the same. He doesn't have winning impact. And as I pointed on the Keefe thread, he has the worst W/S among 24 different players on the roster.

This is insanely bad considering he's treated by this org as a primary option. I want this franchise for once to build a team the right way. He could be decent if the org was treating him according to his real impact, but that's not the case.

Since the AS break Poole's TS is 56%. That isnt great but it's not that bad either.

21/6 since the break.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,978

Post#328 » by DCZards » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:07 pm

Pistol King wrote:

Not sure what article you're referring to, but from comments I've seen from coaches and teammates Poole has been a team player and likable person.

I was a skeptic but I've been impressed by how Poole has played as a PG in recent games. Not giving him away for Simmons.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#329 » by penbeast0 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 7:20 pm

Pistol King wrote:I've read an interesting idea today, trading Poole and filler to the Nets for Ben Simmons.

If the "filler" has no value, I'd do this. Simmons may be nothing but he's only on the books for one more year. Poole may be a worker and may be playing better but he's still the JaVale McGee of PGs; he just has what seems to be a very low BBIQ. Getting him off the team early is a win.

And, if we do draft a PG it frees time and opportunity whereas if we don't, if allows us to resign Tyus (who has a very high BBIQ) and play him and Butler.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Pistol King
Junior

Post#330 » by Pistol King » Mon Apr 8, 2024 9:43 pm

pcbothwel wrote:How does a Poole trade work with Cam Thomas playing 30+ MPG?

Poole at the PG (that's where he sees himself), Cam at SG, Mikal Bridges would play SF.

DCZards wrote:Not sure what article you're referring to, but from comments I've seen from coaches and teammates Poole has been a team player and likable person.

I was a skeptic but I've been impressed by how Poole has played as a PG in recent games. Not giving him away for Simmons.

I referred to this article:

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nba/how-jordan-poole-became-the-nbas-unintentional-meme-king
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,362

Post#331 » by nate33 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:34 pm

Management is all-in on Poole:

Read on Twitter

You gotta love the work ethic, at least. I hope he can work his way into become a better defender.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,375

Post#332 » by doclinkin » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:02 pm

I liked that entire press conference. You can see why players like Kuz or Tyus would want to stick with the organization if given a choice. Okay yes, send me to a contender, but if not, then let me stay with a place that treats their employees like valuable human beings. They are even transparent that this is a business decision for them, that they hope the word gets out among players that DC is doing it right when it comes to the internal relations part of the game. Player experience.

It was notable that it clearly daunted and pained Winger that the fanbase, while loyal, is not quite as optimistic and enthusiastic in expectation of a turnaround. That is different from his prior experience. The Clippers were coming off Lob City and a streak of prolonged success so their fans were still expecting good things to happen and were willing to show up for the rebuild. OKC was a new franchise so their fans were rabidly happy to have anything to watch. Plus the energy in the room was electric given the players they had in the gym. They knew at some point it was going to take off. Here not only is the cupboard bare of that high end talent, but there is a 40 year record of failure to contend, um, to contend with.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,937

Post#333 » by Frichuela » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:07 pm

Looks like Poole has a genuinely good relationship with Bilal

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=GWeuz7j_sc5cBYZzdD92Tw
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,164