Jump into the Poole Party: The Official Jordan Poole Thread 

Post#1 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:48 pm

Welcome to DC, Jordan.
popper
Veteran
And1: 366

Re: Jump into the Poole Party: The Official Jordan Poole Thread 

Post#2 » by popper » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:30 pm

Yes, welcome Jordan. I know you can play better defense than you did last season. I'm hopeful a new environment will inspire you to do so. Good luck in the coming year.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#3 » by Kanyewest » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:52 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=XZRUUjvHdgSU1Aj1HJAVpg
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 837

Post#4 » by 9 and 20 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:33 pm

He's going to score 25 a game, at least. I'm glad we got a guy like this instead of throwing a bunch of rookies out there like Houston or Detroit. Having Poole and a vet point guard or two will help the young guys I think. Plus he's a fun player to watch.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#5 » by Halcyon » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:40 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if he scored like 27 ppg on average efficiency. This roster as it stands doesn't look like it has a ton of shot creators.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,163

Post#6 » by AFM » Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:59 pm

What are the odds this fella ends up better than Beal?

DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#7 » by DCZards » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:30 am

9 and 20 wrote:He's going to score 25 a game, at least. I'm glad we got a guy like this instead of throwing a bunch of rookies out there like Houston or Detroit. Having Poole and a vet point guard or two will help the young guys I think. Plus he's a fun player to watch.

I agree. It’s great having a bunch of youngins but they still need the oncourt guidance and structure that vets like Morris, Jones, Wright and Poole can provide.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#8 » by doclinkin » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:43 am

Honestly the player who Poole reminds me of is Agent Zero. Not saying he's as incandescently hot as Hibachi era Gil. Maybe he never drops 60. But the way he plays reminds me of Gil. He plays like he is having fun out there, loves the spotlight, cares little about defense, drives directly into traffic to split the defenders, and will launch from anywhere at any time. We might lose a ton of shootouts, but he looks like he will be fun to watch.

I do think we need a high post shooter to open up the interior for cuts and slashing attacks. And I'm curious what's the fit with players like Deni and Kispert. Or if Johnny Davis will ever get touches with Poole controlling the ball. But I'm here for the uptempo high energy gunning attack. Running on makes and misses alike. We will have some exciting losses this year, LOL.

Gil-Beal-Poole ages 21-23
https://stathead.com/tiny/mvkZm
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,906

Post#9 » by TGW » Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:06 am

At some point, Poole will play well enough to garner attention from other teams. Maybe even demand a pick or two...the Wizards need to take advantage. Don't fall for the allure of a shotjacking undersized gunner. Just sayin'.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#10 » by gambitx777 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:37 am

TGW wrote:At some point, Poole will play well enough to garner attention from other teams. Maybe even demand a pick or two...the Wizards need to take advantage. Don't fall for the allure of a shotjacking undersized gunner. Just sayin'.
Definitely not but Poole and tyus Jones is a competent back court. It will depend on how much defensive effort he desires to put out.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#11 » by pcbothwel » Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:14 am

Two thing I found interesting from Bilals press conference.
1) Wizards were the 1 visit he took due to his schedule. I wonder if that’s a good sign for this organization from an overall recruiting/reputation standpoint.

2) Jordan Poole reached out to him welcoming to the city. If so, I like that proactive/excited response from Poole within 24 hours of being traded here. Hopefully that means something in regards to taking on a leadership role.
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 837

Post#12 » by 9 and 20 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:25 am

doclinkin wrote:Honestly the player who Poole reminds me of is Agent Zero. Not saying he's as incandescently hot as Hibachi era Gil. Maybe he never drops 60. But the way he plays reminds me of Gil. He plays like he is having fun out there, loves the spotlight, cares little about defense, drives directly into traffic to split the defenders, and will launch from anywhere at any time. We might lose a ton of shootouts, but he looks like he will be fun to watch.

I do think we need a high post shooter to open up the interior for cuts and slashing attacks. And I'm curious what's the fit with players like Deni and Kispert. Or if Johnny Davis will ever get touches with Poole controlling the ball. But I'm here for the uptempo high energy gunning attack. Running on makes and misses alike. We will have some exciting losses this year, LOL.

Gil-Beal-Poole ages 21-23
https://stathead.com/tiny/mvkZm

Yeah he's not as explosive as Gil but he does have that flash to his game like Gil had. I think he'll be fun to root for and make the team a lot more watchable. Just gotta keep Gerald Wallace away from him.

Out of the guys we might have traded Beal for, including Simons and Herro, I like Poole as the tank commander for a few years.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#13 » by payitforward » Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:21 pm

9 and 20 wrote:Out of the guys we might have traded Beal for, including Simons and Herro, I like Poole as the tank commander for a few years.

The only open issue about Poole, for me, comes from the fact that he had a really good 2021-22 season followed by a quite bad 2022-23.

Overall, on their careers, Herro has been the best of the three -- which is not to say that he's been authentically "good." He hasn't. OTOH, I'd say Poole's '21-22 is the best season any of the 3 have had so far.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#14 » by gambitx777 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:18 pm

payitforward wrote:
9 and 20 wrote:Out of the guys we might have traded Beal for, including Simons and Herro, I like Poole as the tank commander for a few years.

The only open issue about Poole, for me, comes from the fact that he had a really good 2021-22 season followed by a quite bad 2022-23.

Overall, on their careers, Herro has been the best of the three -- which is not to say that he's been authentically "good." He hasn't. OTOH, I'd say Poole's '21-22 is the best season any of the 3 have had so far.
Yeah but how much did the locker room drama effect him I wonder if a change will bounce him back.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#15 » by doclinkin » Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:57 pm

Good interview with the beat reporter for the Warriors in the Athletic:

The recap of his career:

His rookie season was a disaster season for the Warriors. Kevin Durant had just left, Klay Thompson was rehabbing an ACL tear, Steph Curry broke his hand in the fourth game and they went a league-worst 15-50 before the pandemic hit. Poole was thrown into the deep end out of necessity despite being unready. He was an overwhelmed small guard with bottom-tier efficiency. It looked like a whiff of a draft pick.

His career changed in his second season. He opened it on the fringe of the rotation. Steve Kerr was slow to give Poole the needed trust. Kerr played veteran Brad Wanamaker over him, and Poole was actually sent to the G League bubble. It did wonders. He was one of the best players in Orlando while Wanamaker struggled with the big team. Kerr was finally forced to give Poole — stronger and sharper because of his relentless work ethic — an extended rotation run. He blossomed.

Poole parlayed a great couple months into a monster third season. Thompson was still recovering from an Achilles tear, so Poole was slotted as the starting shooting guard in the first couple months. The Warriors opened the season 18-2. He was a major cog.

Curry sprained his foot in March. Poole then became the starting point guard the final month. Go look at his numbers during that stretch. It was Damian Lillard-like. Poole made an NBA-high 85 3s on 41 percent accuracy, scored 24.7 points per game and actually led the league in free throw percentage that season. Then, he was huge at key playoff moments, helping lift them to a title. That’s what earned him the massive extension before his fourth season.

What happened last year:

The Warriors returned from Japan, and Green’s infamous punch — and the leaked TMZ tape of it, which sent everything into overdrive — happened the third practice back. Everything did change. Go read the Kerr postseason quotes. It was a splintering that never glued back together, and the turbulence did appear to impact Poole on the court.

He had a frantic season that spiraled toward the end. He was fourth in the NBA in total turnovers and jacked up enough questionable heat check 3s that his percentage from deep dipped to 33.6 percent. His defensive focus and effort waned, frustrating the coaching staff. His playoff performance was rough.

But the sour end masks what still was a productive regular season in some ways. Key stat: He played in all 82 games. He’s extremely durable. He averaged 20.4 points per game and always elevated his play as a replacement starter, which was plenty. The Warriors went 14-12 in Curry’s 26 missed games. Poole averaged 24.6 per game in his 43 starts.

That is the Poole I’d predict will show up in Washington next season. He has had a strong belief the past couple years that he was ready for more — minutes, shots, opportunity, a guaranteed lead guard role.

What the Wiz can expect.

Slater: He’s a spectacular offensive talent and plays a fun, flashy brand. I like him as a lead guard for a rebuilding team that needs to generate local interest. When he’s rolling — and he can go on a hot streak for several weeks — fans gravitate toward him. During his best stretches, he had fans coming to the arena in pool gear.

His offensive ceiling, in my opinion, will come down to his 3-point percentage, and that could largely depend on improved shot selection. If he can tame his most destructive instincts and take mostly smart 3s, I’d wager he can be a 38, 39 percent shooter from deep. That’s enormously different than 33 percent for a high-volume guy.

Gear up for some monster nights and frustrating stretches. There are going to be some 42-point outbursts where he’s the best player on the floor and some seven-turnover, 2-of-14 from 3 duds. But it won’t be uninteresting.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#16 » by NatP4 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:49 pm

Sounds pretty enjoyable honestly. I’m ready for the Jordan Poole experience.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#17 » by payitforward » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:37 pm

Go Jordan Poole!

In both senses -- play great & then get traded for a lot!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#18 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jul 7, 2023 4:14 pm

Read on Twitter
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#19 » by NatP4 » Fri Jul 7, 2023 4:26 pm

Actually love this trade the more I think about it. Poole is young enough, and has legit upside to explode into a star high volume scorer in his own situation. It’s not hard to envision Poole coming in and averaging 25 PPG and sneaking into an All Star game.

To bring back that kind of upside for 38 year old CP3 is great value.
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 369

Post#20 » by Silvie Lysandra » Fri Jul 7, 2023 5:22 pm

So all in all, the trade looks like Beal for Poole, a bunch of 2nds, some potentially interesting pick swaps (those 2028 and 2030 pick swaps will be fascinating - Beal and Durant have health concerns, and Durant is 34 already), a heavily protected 1st, Baldwin III, whoever we get for Shamet, and Tyus Jones. Not horrible seeing the position we were in.

Return to Washington Wizards