ImageImageImageImageImage

The (way too early) 2024 Draft thread. Woo! Tanking!

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Tyrone Messby
Bench Warmer
And1: 417

Re: The (way too early) 2024 Draft thread. Woo! Tanking! 

Post#1341 » by Tyrone Messby » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:56 pm

Just dropping in to say I love the back and forth in here. The most knowledgeable board on Real GM. Awesome stuff.
Tyrone Messby
Bench Warmer
And1: 417

Post#1342 » by Tyrone Messby » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:58 pm

NatP4 wrote:
nate33 wrote:
leswizards wrote:
That is false. UConn sent a second and third defender at Edey all night.

The double teams mostly came when Clingan was out. With Clingan on the floor, it was single coverage.

Clingan struggled defensively in the first 5 minutes or so, but then seemed to figure Edey out. For the rest of the game, I’ll bet Edey’s FG% against Clingan was sub-50%.

And we see why Edey is such a polarizing player. His final line is 37 points on 25 shots. Was 8-17 with 20 points whenever Clingan went to the bench with 4 fouls with 7:52 remaining, score was 59-42. Rest of the way UConn just let him score and made sure not to foul and stop the clock. They even played Karaban, a 6’8 wing on Edey 1 on 1 with no help.

Why the hell did Purdue care more about padding stats and making the final score look more respectable as opposed to attempting to comeback? Who knows. You can’t repeatedly throw the ball into the post with 8 minutes left down by 17.

Painter is an absolute clown. Purdue is never going to win a title with him just like Oats and Bama will never win a title with their shoot a 3 and pray formula. It’s a little higher form of street ball.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,927

Post#1343 » by tontoz » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:18 pm

leswizards wrote:Can we all agree that Clingan’s only impact on that game was the stretch of the game where Edey missed every fg? The rest of the game he was a non entity or was getting dominated by Edey?

So, clingan’s proponents whole case for him being a high lottery pick rests upon him playing good defense against a player that they deride as being not very good.

Oh, by the way, if you go back and watch the tape, I am pretty sure that you will find clingan was on the bench for part of the stretch, and UConn did run second and third defenders at Edey while clingan was in the game, and some of the fga were good looks at the basket, but unfortunately for Edey and Purdue his shot didn’t fall.

I think you may have misread some previous posts.

Clingan's case for being a high lottery pick is his ability to play man and help D effectively (and being in a weak draft class). His help D has been shown clearly in previous games and his man D was clearly shown last night. In the NBA players aren't allowed to camp in the lane 5+ seconds so he won't be facing a similar situation defensively.

The reason some of us are down on Edey is that he is so bad on defense. I have posted multiple clips of Edey watching guys score inside instead of contesting shots. Of course he isn't going to be effective defending the perimeter but he should at least be contesting shots inside.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
leswizards
Pro Prospect
And1: 212

Post#1344 » by leswizards » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:38 pm

tontoz wrote:
leswizards wrote:Can we all agree that Clingan’s only impact on that game was the stretch of the game where Edey missed every fg? The rest of the game he was a non entity or was getting dominated by Edey?

So, clingan’s proponents whole case for him being a high lottery pick rests upon him playing good defense against a player that they deride as being not very good.

Oh, by the way, if you go back and watch the tape, I am pretty sure that you will find clingan was on the bench for part of the stretch, and UConn did run second and third defenders at Edey while clingan was in the game, and some of the fga were good looks at the basket, but unfortunately for Edey and Purdue his shot didn’t fall.

Clingan's case for being a high lottery pick is his ability to play man and help D effectively (and being in a weak draft class). His help D has been shown clearly in previous games and his man D was clearly shown last night. In the NBA players aren't allowed to camp in the lane 5+ seconds so he won't be facing a similar situation defensively.

The reason some of us are down on Edey is that he is so bad on defense. I have posted multiple clips of Edey watching guys score inside instead of contesting shots. Of course he isn't going to be effective defending the perimeter but he should at least be contesting shots inside.

His great man d was getting dominated early in the game, having a great stretch which was aided and abetted by help defense and poor shooting by Edey, and picking up 4 fouls, which really didn’t make a difference in this game but would have been huge had Purdue had more talent and been able to keep the game close.

His help defense last night was vastly superior to Edey’s considering how much more talented UConn is to Purdue.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#1345 » by tontoz » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:47 pm

leswizards wrote:
tontoz wrote:

His great man d was getting dominated early in the game, having a great stretch which was aided and abetted by help defense and poor shooting by Edey, and picking up 4 fouls, which really didn’t make a difference in this game but would have been huge had Purdue had more talent and been able to keep the game close.

His help defense last night was vastly superior to Edey’s considering how much more talented UConn is to Purdue.

First of all Clingan obviously didn't want to get into foul trouble early because that would have been disasterous. Secondly once he got used to Edey it became a struggle for Edey to score in spite of camping out in the lane.

A couple of the foul calls on Clingan were ridiculous, especially considering the way Edey was dropping his shoulder into defenders.

The "help defense" was a figment of your imagination. He wasn't getting doubled when Clingan was guarding him which is part of the reason why Edey got off to a hot start. It is also why Purdue attempted only 2 3s in the first half. Edey had 0 assists on the game.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#1346 » by tontoz » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:50 pm

This is just embarassing defense for a title game.

leswizards
Pro Prospect

Post#1347 » by leswizards » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:06 pm

tontoz wrote:
leswizards wrote:
tontoz wrote:

First of all Clingan obviously didn't want to get into foul trouble early because that would have been disasterous. Secondly once he got used to Edey it became a struggle for Edey to score in spite of camping out in the lane.

A couple of the foul calls on Clingan were ridiculous, especially considering the way Edey was dropping his shoulder into defenders.

The "help defense" was a figment of your imagination. He wasn't getting doubled when Clingan was guarding him which is part of the reason why Edey got off to a hot start. It is also why Purdue attempted only 2 3s in the first half. Edey had 0 assists on the game.

I don’t have a video of the game to go back and watch it again, but I am pretty sure you are wrong about the lack of help for clingan. The game log shows 2 fouls, one on cam Spencer around 11:30 minutes (remaining) in the second half, and one on Johnson at about 14:30 minutes (remaining) in the second half, with Edey subsequently shooting free throws. I am pretty certain both plays were the result of UConn sending help defense.

As for the fouls on clingan, I am discussing what actually happened. What you are discussing is what you wanted to happen to make your preferred player look better.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#1348 » by tontoz » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:15 pm

leswizards wrote:
I don’t have a video of the game to go back and watch it again, but I am pretty sure you are wrong about the lack of help for clingan. The game log shows 2 fouls, one on cam Spencer around 11:30 minutes (remaining) in the second half, and one on Johnson at about 14:30 minutes (remaining) in the second half, with Edey subsequently shooting free throws. I am pretty certain both plays were the result of UConn sending help defense.

As for the fouls on clingan, I am discussing what actually happened. What you are discussing is what you wanted to happen to make your preferred player look better.

What actually happened? How did Edey get off to such a hot start in spite of 2-3 help defenders coming to help Clingan? Why did Purdue, one of the best 3 pt shooting teams in the nation, only attempt 2 3s in the first half?

Any comments about Edey's defensive clips?
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,978

Post#1349 » by DCZards » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:19 pm

tontoz wrote:
leswizards wrote:

What actually happened? How did Edey get off to such a hot start in spite of 2-3 help defenders coming to help Clingan? Why did Purdue, one of the best 3 pt shooting teams in the nation, only attempt 2 3s in the first half?

I believe I can answer the second question. UConn’s perimeter defense is why Purdue only attempted two 3s in the second half.

The suffocating D of the Huskies taller, longer, more athletic wing players made it almost impossible for Purdue guards to get up 3pt shots.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#1350 » by tontoz » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:31 pm

DCZards wrote:I believe I can answer the second question. UConn’s perimeter defense is why Purdue only attempted two 3s in the second half.

The suffocating D of the Huskies taller, longer, more athletic wing players made it almost impossible for Purdue guards to get up 3pt shots.

It was actually the first half they attempted only 2 3s.

Alabama attempted 23 3s for the game against Uconn, shooting 48% from 3. Pretty sure Uconn was playing the same guys against Alabama and Purdue.
leswizards
Pro Prospect

Post#1351 » by leswizards » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:38 pm

tontoz wrote:
leswizards wrote:

I don’t have perfect recall of the game. To the best of my recollection, I can remember one instance when Purdue fed Edey in the post. Help defense came; Edey kicked it out, and it looked like the Purdue player wanted to attempt the 3, but UConn rotated quicker than he could attempt the 3 or rotate to another open player. There might have been multiple examples of this happening. I do know other times the play was very similar but it didn’t look like Purdue was even attempting to set up for the three. Instead, in almost all these instances, Edey established better position, the ball was thrown back in. Early in the game. Edey was hitting these shots. Later in the game, they just didn’t fall for him.

They were 1-7 for 3PA. That combined with what dczards wrote might have led Purdue’s coach just may have decided it was better to just keep feeding Edey and hope for the best.

Edey’s defense is not perfect. However, from what I saw, his 7’5” presence alters many shots. Plus, he does an adequate job picking up guards off the pick and roll, and most guards don’t want to drive the lane and challenge a 7’5” center.

Furthermore, I feel with good coaching, most of his flaws can be fixed.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,098

Post#1352 » by Dat2U » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:43 pm

While everyone is waxing poetic about UConn's potential NBA prospects ... the guy that I think has the highest potential for NBA success is coach Dan Hurley. I see brilliant guy with a creative flair who puts his guys in the right position to succeed.

If there's any coach I'd pound the table for its going to be him. I'd take him over any player on the Huskies roster.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#1353 » by tontoz » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:43 pm

leswizards wrote:
tontoz wrote:
leswizards wrote:

I don’t have perfect recall of the game. To the best of my recollection, I can remember one instance when Purdue fed Edey in the post. Help defense came; Edey kicked it out, and it looked like the Purdue player wanted to attempt the 3, but UConn rotated quicker than he could attempt the 3 or rotate to another open player. There might have been multiple examples of this happening. I do know other times the play was very similar but it didn’t look like Purdue was even attempting to set up for the three. Instead, in almost all these instances, Edey established better position, the ball was thrown back in. Early in the game. Edey was hitting these shots. Later in the game, they just didn’t fall for him.

They were 1-7 for 3PA. That combined with what dczards wrote might have led Purdue’s coach just may have decided it was better to just keep feeding Edey and hope for the best.

Edey’s defense is not perfect. However, from what I saw, his 7’5” presence alters many shots. Plus, he does an adequate job picking up guards off the pick and roll, and most guards don’t want to drive the lane and challenge a 7’5” center.

Alabama lit up Uconn from 3 last game, attempting 23 3s shooting 48% from 3.

Purdue is top 3 in the nation in 3 pt shooting. On the season they averaged 7 made 3s per game shooting 41%. Obviously Uconn had a game plan to let Edey get his while shutting down the perimeter players. That is why no help came early on when Edey was hot. It is also why he scored 17 pts on the last 10 minutes of the game.
leswizards
Pro Prospect

Post#1354 » by leswizards » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:53 pm

tontoz wrote:
leswizards wrote:
tontoz wrote:

Purdue is top 3 in the nation in 3 pt shooting. On the season they averaged 7 made 3s per game shooting 41%. Obviously Uconn had a game plan to let Edey get his while shutting down the perimeter players. That is why no help came early on when Edey was hot. It is also why he scored 17 pts on the last 10 minutes of the game.

I mentioned a couple of fouls which I think showed there was help defense. You ignore them. You claim there was no help defense when I am pretty sure there was help defense. Nate tries to downplay the help defense, but I think he does acknowledge that there was help defense in he said there was mostly no help defense for clingan (which implies there was help defense for clingan). Alabama’s 3 point shooters have an inch on Purdue’s best 3 point shooters, and they may be more athletic as well what happened in the Alabama game had nothing to do with this game.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#1355 » by Benjammin » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:55 pm

Dat2U wrote:While everyone is waxing poetic about UConn's potential NBA prospects ... the guy that I think has the highest potential for NBA success is coach Dan Hurley. I see brilliant guy with a creative flair who puts his guys in the right position to succeed.

If there's any coach I'd pound the table for its going to be him. I'd take him over any player on the Huskies roster.
Well sure, but he's in the perfect spot so unless he has a burning desire to succeed in the NBA I don't see him moving.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
leswizards
Pro Prospect

Post#1356 » by leswizards » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:58 pm

tontoz wrote:
leswizards wrote:
tontoz wrote:

From the game log, about 10 minutes remaining in first half to about 9:49: clingan gets defensive rebound, diarra hits 3, diarra fouls, Edey shoots free throws. I think this is more evidence of UConn giving clingan help.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#1357 » by Benjammin » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:05 pm

This isn't rocket science. Watch the tape as they say. They didn't bring double teams with Clingan guarding Edey very often.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
tontoz
RealGM

Post#1358 » by tontoz » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:07 pm

leswizards wrote:I mentioned a couple of fouls which I think showed there was help defense. You ignore them. You claim there was no help defense when I am pretty sure there was help defense. Nate tries to downplay the help defense, but I think he does acknowledge that there was help defense in he said there was mostly no help defense for clingan (which implies there was help defense for clingan). Alabama’s 3 point shooters have an inch on Purdue’s best 3 point shooters, and they may be more athletic as well what happened in the Alabama game had nothing to do with this game.

I didn't say there was no help defense the entire game. I said the game plan was not to send help when Clingan was on him.

When Clingan was on the bench Uconn doubled a lot because his backup was too small to defend Edey.

tontoz wrote:
Seriously there is a reason Purdue only made 1 3 all game. Their strategy was to stay at home on shooters and leave Clingan 1 on 1. When Clingan went to the bench they doubled aggressively.

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,375

Post#1359 » by doclinkin » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:08 pm

tontoz wrote:
DCZards wrote:I believe I can answer the second question. UConn’s perimeter defense is why Purdue only attempted two 3s in the second half.

Alabama attempted 23 3s for the game against Uconn, shooting 48% from 3. Pretty sure Uconn was playing the same guys against Alabama and Purdue.

Alabama made it as far as they did in the Tourney because they have a meteor shower of attackers who all can handle and shoot from deep. Their entire deal is to spread the defense out and attack from the outside in, with multiple guys distributing the ball or creating for themselves.

Purdue relied on one ballhandler to initiate the offense and find the seams, exploiting Edey's gravity to ensure the outside gunners are open. Their point guard was stifled by a bigger stronger faster guy who frustrated them from every inbounds and all the way up the court, which stole minutes off the clock and allowed their secondary defenders to swarm the outside shooters.

Clingan's ability to stand up to Edey solo did make all the difference. Both guys played well in their role and made a case for high draft selection. Edey showed he can force foul trouble on players who try to guard him one on one, and dominate smaller players even if they are long for their position. Clingan showed he can slow down even behemoth opponents who are otherwise unstoppable.

This was a good game that played out as I expected with the sole exception that UConn wasn't able to keep Edey under the 20/10 he has steadily earned all year.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,978

Post#1360 » by DCZards » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:09 pm

tontoz wrote:

Alabama had better and more athletic perimeter players than Purdue.

Return to Washington Wizards