ImageImageImageImageImage

The (way too early) 2024 Draft thread. Woo! Tanking!

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,927

Re: The (way too early) 2024 Draft thread. Woo! Tanking! 

Post#981 » by tontoz » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:28 pm

NatP4 wrote:I agree, but on the fence about whether or not he will be the guy for this FO.

Part of that is because I think Sheppard and Topic are REALLY the Dawkins type.

I'd be fine with either but after watching his last game i have Cody as my number 2 behind Topic. He definitely did some things that looked like impressive NBA plays to me, on both ends.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
tontoz
RealGM

Post#982 » by tontoz » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:50 pm

Cody has a pretty deep bag for a freshman. He can finish routinely with his left and has a variety of floaters.

On thing that surprised me watching him was his speed. Most of the time he glides around the court but he can really accelerate when he wants to.

He missed 13 games with different injuries but still finished 2nd in the team in blocks.

Endless Loop
Sophomore
And1: 175

Post#983 » by Endless Loop » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:17 pm

NBADraft.net says Dalton Knecht will go #3. Nobody else I could find has him higher than 12, and he's hardly talked about here. Should he go 3??
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,323

Post#984 » by NatP4 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:30 pm

Endless Loop wrote:NBADraft.net says Dalton Knecht will go #3. Nobody else I could find has him higher than 12, and he's hardly talked about here. Should he go 3??

I don’t know. When is the last time a JUCO transfer/5th year senior went 3rd overall? Has that ever happened?

He’s a good player, and you can definitely make an argument for Knecht over just about all of the wings in this class, the late growth spurt stuff is interesting, but I think he’s more 7-12 range when it’s all said and done. He’s going to score a lot of points in the NBA.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#985 » by tontoz » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:02 pm

Endless Loop wrote:NBADraft.net says Dalton Knecht will go #3. Nobody else I could find has him higher than 12, and he's hardly talked about here. Should he go 3??

No. I don't think much DD goes into that site any more. It was better years ago.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,371

Post#986 » by doclinkin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:03 pm

dobrojim wrote:Didn't watch the whole game but Clingan did not impress me last night.

Clingan and Castle ignited the blow out with their defense in the 2nd half. Clingan smothered everything in the paint and Castle herded all attacks towards him. I'm not a fan of Clingan's offense, but his defense is the thing that carries that team.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,371

Post#987 » by doclinkin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:11 pm

NatP4 wrote:I agree, but on the fence about whether or not he will be the guy for this FO.

Part of that is because I think Sheppard and Topic are REALLY the Dawkins type.

6'7" PG Topic yes, 6'3" combo guard Sheppard not so much.

Leastways they've stated they tend to priotitize 'positional size' in addition to the BBIQ stuff. Sheppard's 'yes but...' is his size. His efficiency jumps off the box scores, his situational smarts, but the size mismatch is not in his favor. Defense favors size. I think given a choice between 6'9" wingspan Castle and 6'3" wingspan Sheppard they would snatch Castle.

See ballhandlers Giddey, Jalen Williams, etc. A majority of the guys on your Dawkins list are ridiculously sized for their position. Like Poku who was basically playing as a 6'12" shooting guard overseas.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#988 » by tontoz » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:18 pm

It would be hard for a GM to draft Sheppard top 5, even if he deserves it. They would have to feel really good about their job security. If he doesn't work out it would look bad since his size is such an obvious issue.

I could see the spurs doing it. Nobody's getting fired there and they have Wemby to cover for defensive problems.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#989 » by tontoz » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:35 am

This game is really showing why I am out on Edey. His interior D is lame.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#990 » by NatP4 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:30 pm

2025/2026 opening lineup: Topic-Kispert-Coulibaly-Avdija-Malauch.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#991 » by pcbothwel » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:12 pm

NatP4 wrote:

I don’t know. When is the last time a JUCO transfer/5th year senior went 3rd overall? Has that ever happened?

He’s a good player, and you can definitely make an argument for Knecht over just about all of the wings in this class, the late growth spurt stuff is interesting, but I think he’s more 7-12 range when it’s all said and done. He’s going to score a lot of points in the NBA.

Love knecht. His 5 inch growth from his senior year, along with him going from a low usage wing in the big sky to being the best player, with a 32% usage rate, on one of the best teams in college basketball is absurd. He’s a full 6’6 with a ~6’10 wingspan and short neck(ie. High standing reach).
Trade 1-3 to PDX for 5 + 13.
Draft Reed/Topic/Castle at 5
Knecht at 13
Trade Kispert for 2025 1st.
This is beyond the Kispert/Nesmith/Rui class of player, and much closer to Keegan Murray/Brandon Miller.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,359

Post#992 » by nate33 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:19 pm

NatP4 wrote:2025/2026 opening lineup: Topic-Kispert-Coulibaly-Avdija-Malauch.

I'd much rather have Flagg or Bailey in 2025.

I really like the idea of Deni and Flagg together at forward being our version of Orlando's Wagner and Banchero combo. Forwards with that much versatility at both ends of the floor allow you to get away with all sorts of player combinations around them.

Get me a 2025/26 opening lineup of: Topic-Coulibaly-Avdija-Flagg-Anybody and I'll be pretty happy. It seems like centers can be found anywhere. Just get a guy like Hartenstein. Or maybe Bagley continues to play well.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#993 » by nate33 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:35 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

Love knecht. His 5 inch growth from his senior year, along with him going from a low usage wing in the big sky to being the best player, with a 32% usage rate, on one of the best teams in college basketball is absurd. He’s a full 6’6 with a ~6’10 wingspan and short neck(ie. High standing reach).
Trade 1-3 to PDX for 5 + 13.
Draft Reed/Topic/Castle at 5
Knecht at 13
Trade Kispert for 2025 1st.
This is beyond the Kispert/Nesmith/Rui class of player, and much closer to Keegan Murray/Brandon Miller.

I dunno. Murray is a good defender and Miller probably will become a good defender as he matures physically. Knecht is not a good defender and is too old to expect significant improvements to his body.

He looks like another Duncan Robinson to me. That's not a bad thing. Robinson is a useful NBA player. But he's not a guy you can just plug into a starting role on any team. For most teams, he is a backup, unless they have the right kind of defensive infrastructure to accommodate a minus defender at wing.

Ultimately, I don't really expect him to be all that different from Kispert. He's a better shot creator with the ball, but probably not so much better that you want to run the offense through him. Kispert is probably a bit better as an off-ball cutter and finisher, which is frankly more useful. If you're not going to be a top tier offensive threat with the ball, better to be an ultra-efficient threat off the ball. Defensively, Knecht looks a bit longer than Kispert, but Kispert might be quicker on his feet. I'd call it a wash. Both guys are below-average defending on ball, and they both offer little utility as off-ball help defenders.

Finally, I don't think Kispert could be traded for a 2025 FRP, not when he has just one year left on his rookie deal.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#994 » by tontoz » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:42 pm

nate33 wrote:

I really like the idea of Deni and Flagg together at forward being our version of Orlando's Wagner and Banchero combo. Forwards with that much versatility at both ends of the floor allow you to get away with all sorts of player combinations around them.

Get me a 2025/26 opening lineup of: Topic-Coulibaly-Avdija-Flagg-Anybody and I'll be pretty happy. It seems like centers can be found anywhere. Just get a guy like Hartenstein. Or maybe Bagley continues to play well.

Bagley is fine as a backup. I would want a bigger guy as a starter but yes a productive center can easily be found outsite of the top 20 picks.
The Consiglieri
Starter
And1: 510

Post#995 » by The Consiglieri » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:13 pm

NatP4 wrote:KOC mock draft. Just featuring NCAA prospects. Has Castle at 1, Williams and Walter in the top 4. Devin Carter at 5. Murray-Boyles at 9!! Tristan De Silva at 11.

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/mock-draft

His mocks are always a touch iconoclastic. He is definitely one to go out on a limb. Otoh, if there's a year where literally nobody agrees on anything save one thing, it's this year (other than the fact that this is considered the worst draft in eons). I was combing the mocks for the NHL, NBA, and MLB this morning, and man oh man is this an utterly unique year. In 35 years of watching the NBA draft, I've NEVER seen a season like this. You literally have virtually noone anywhere agreeing on who will go in the top 3, a huge range of options going #1 #2 and #3 overall, and widely opposing views on guys sometimes projected as high as the top 3 (Castle) also going in prestigious rankings as low as 17th (espn). I've never seen anything like this. Nobody agrees on anything (save the general quality of the class, especially the top of the class). I did come across one trio of differing mocks that had the same 3 guys in different spots (Matas, Holland and Risacher, but then go outside that trio and you'll find Sarr, Castle, Dillingham, Clingan, Bradshaw, proctor, Edwards, Collier, Shepard, Topic, Williams and more. It's absolute insanity. I do not envy our front office at all. Man oh man would it be better to trade down/out. What an insane draft.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#996 » by NatP4 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:33 pm

nate33 wrote:

Give me Flagg and Murray Boyles in the front court. Deni+Bilal on the wing, Topic running the show.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#997 » by nate33 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:39 pm

The Consiglieri wrote:
NatP4 wrote:KOC mock draft. Just featuring NCAA prospects. Has Castle at 1, Williams and Walter in the top 4. Devin Carter at 5. Murray-Boyles at 9!! Tristan De Silva at 11.

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/mock-draft

His mocks are always a touch iconoclastic. He is definitely one to go out on a limb. Otoh, if there's a year where literally nobody agrees on anything save one thing, it's this year (other than the fact that this is considered the worst draft in eons). I was combing the mocks for the NHL, NBA, and MLB this morning, and man oh man is this an utterly unique year. In 35 years of watching the NBA draft, I've NEVER seen a season like this. You literally have virtually noone anywhere agreeing on who will go in the top 3, a huge range of options going #1 #2 and #3 overall, and widely opposing views on guys sometimes projected as high as the top 3 (Castle) also going in prestigious rankings as low as 17th (espn). I've never seen anything like this. Nobody agrees on anything (save the general quality of the class, especially the top of the class). I did come across one trio of differing mocks that had the same 3 guys in different spots (Matas, Holland and Risacher, but then go outside that trio and you'll find Sarr, Castle, Dillingham, Clingan, Bradshaw, proctor, Edwards, Collier, Shepard, Topic, Williams and more. It's absolute insanity. I do not envy our front office at all. Man oh man would it be better to trade down/out. What an insane draft.

It'll be interesting to see if a consensus emerges when we get to the combine. Some guys may measure out better or worse than expected, and some guys may show up with improved jumpers and handle that impress the scouts.

Of course, then the question is, do we overrate the combine? Shouldn't actual games matter a lot more?
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#998 » by Benjammin » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:22 pm

I think the international 3 of Saar, Risacher, and Topic in some order will be in the top 5, maybe the first 3 picks.
Jay81
Starter
And1: 480

Post#999 » by Jay81 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:50 pm

I’m out on castle.
Dude shoots bricks
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#1000 » by dobrojim » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:01 pm

Count me among the folks who root against Duke

That said I wonder if there hasn’t been a tendency to dismiss
Filipowski because of the jersey he wears. He’s a pretty well
rounded big. He carried them vs Hou
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities

Return to Washington Wizards