ImageImageImageImageImage

The (way too early) 2024 Draft thread. Woo! Tanking!

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,957

Re: The (way too early) 2024 Draft thread. Woo! Tanking! 

Post#61 » by Frichuela » Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:01 am

closg00 wrote:
1. Washington Wizards: G Isaiah Collier

The college basketball season is underway and in a draft class that is wide open, a few players are making strong statements early on. USC freshman guard Isaiah Collier is one of the most powerful guards with the ball in his hands and has made a compelling case for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2024 NBA Draft in June with how well he's played early in the season.

https://sports.yahoo.com/2024-nba-mock-draft-2-isaiah-collier-alex-sarr-early-leaders-for-no-1-spot-184157823.html

Perhaps this draft will not be as dreadful as-is the current conventional wisdom

Let’s hope so because we are definitely picking top 5-6 this draft.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,556

Post#62 » by closg00 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:55 pm

Frichuela wrote:
closg00 wrote:

The college basketball season is underway and in a draft class that is wide open, a few players are making strong statements early on. USC freshman guard Isaiah Collier is one of the most powerful guards with the ball in his hands and has made a compelling case for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2024 NBA Draft in June with how well he's played early in the season.

https://sports.yahoo.com/2024-nba-mock-draft-2-isaiah-collier-alex-sarr-early-leaders-for-no-1-spot-184157823.html

Perhaps this draft will not be as dreadful as-is the current conventional wisdom

Absolutely, as Wizards fans we have to expect picking 5-6, and hope to be surprised with 2-3.
Hibachi_0
Sophomore
And1: 92

Post#63 » by Hibachi_0 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:22 pm

Right now, I don`t like anyone enough to pick him 1st or 2nd. If we end up 1 or 2 I would just trade down
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,738

Post#64 » by gambitx777 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:04 pm

Frichuela wrote:
closg00 wrote:

I'll repeat lol . Can he shoot and can he defend .

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,123

Post#65 » by J-Ves » Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:20 pm

Hibachi_0 wrote:Right now, I don`t like anyone enough to pick him 1st or 2nd. If we end up 1 or 2 I would just trade down

No one wants to trade up in a weak draft. I say just use the pick on bpa and move on with the rebuild
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,426

Post#66 » by doclinkin » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:04 pm

closg00 wrote:

Up top there are a few prospects worth a pick. I like falling anywhere in the top half of the lottery.

But really this is another draft where it is worth it to have late 1RP and 2nds. This draft will be deep in playable Bigs, most of whom will still be available with a late pick. Bigs commonly take a while to develop, and there is still the discount you get from familiarity bias. Teams always want to pick a mystery kid with more potential than production. If a player is solid and steady they are good enough to stay in college but not sexy enough to get offers at the top of the draft. They stay late and scouts are uninterested in what they have to offer since they have seen it already. You get finished products at the one position that is hardest to grow into. You still pay a premium on switchable wings and forwards, but we all see the effect of lacking a playable centerpiece defender. The COVID blip added an extra year of eligibility, couple with the NIL era means there are a few quality Bigs who will come out already seasoned.

https://theathletic.com/4952462/2023/10/20/zach-edey-kyle-filiposwki-best-bigs-college-basketball/

To pick a big who can play in this era I'd look for a 5 with a good rate of assists, steals, and defensive rebounds. Blocks are optional. Its counterintuitive but assists and bigman steals indicate court awareness and reactivity/anticipation. Defensive boards are often about positioning and spatial awareness. A keystone defender who knows the tricks of the position can make wing defenders better, and an upperclassman Big is used to being a captain on the team, may not be shy to call out assignments and blown coverages they can see from the back line. IF you are playing a Big with limited range or footspeed you want a player who can anticipate the play and shift to position to cut off options before they develop.

I want Zach Edey since he will be productive and cheap, and has improved every year. Even if he is solely a drop coverage option. But there are a few on the list who will be fun. Izan Almansa is rated lower than his precocious production. And I don't think he will climb with the G League Ignite exposure. It doesn't suit his game so he won't stand out, I don't think. He will be available later than his later production earns, I think.

But shoot, even deeper into the draft you will find a similar game in a smooth passing big like Oso Oghodaro. Though his FT% has declined every year, don't know what's up with that. Still you can see teammates loving the chance to play with a guy who sets them up like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=2Xgq5OKP9r0
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,584

Post#67 » by pcbothwel » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:37 pm

Castle, Sarr, Buzelis, and Collier are the guys I'm most interested in the top 3-5.
Im still dreaming that we trade 1/2 to either SAS or POR and pick 1 of the guys above, along with 1 of Topic, Clingan, Dunn, Boswell, Almansa, or Cody Williams
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 849

Post#68 » by 9 and 20 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:16 pm

Looks like a dogfight for a top pick. I think/hope San Antonio will do better as the year goes on and Wembanyama improves. Maybe he gets tired though and Pop shuts him down to ensure a top pick. Detroit, I have no idea. I thought they'd be better than bottom of the barrel.

Just ran the lottery sim and San Antonio won again. We dropped to 6. I ran it again and the Clippers won, and then the pick went to OKC. We dropped to 6 again. Damn Tankathon.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
The Consiglieri
Starter
And1: 526

Post#69 » by The Consiglieri » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:30 am

closg00 wrote:

I think it will be, for the most part. I think the reason it will be is pretty simple: This is the draft people have to write about, and they aren't going to spend the next year writing about how much the prospects suck. Like always, they'll begin to try and shine this ----, and pretend there are players with the potential to become really good because it's too depressing and uninteresting to write about the limitations of players, than to speculate on the high end (if unlikely) potential ceilings.

So from that perspective, I'm typically convinced that most "reevaluation" articles that try to raise people's expectations are basically a form of marketing "draft journalism" because it isn't fun to write about drafts from an exclusively negative perspective. That's why people speculated about the upside of guys in '13 and '20, and why they will again this year.

The one caveat I'll provide is this: we have a season in front of us, and freshman prospects can evolve a great deal for good and for bad jumping from high school players to college players (or pro's in Europe/Australia etc). So there is the hope that some of these guys end up being just flat out better than expected? That the challenge in '23-'24 helps them to lift their game and their ceiling. That's always possible.

But I do think that's typically related to an entire class cohort, but on an individual level it's more miss than hit, and so the chances are that for the most part, these surprises won't be relevant to us. More than likely, there are about 3-6 players that matter to us, maybe as many as 8, for our first, and a bunch of them are going to have to produce outlier seasons over expectations for that to be relevant. It can happen, but generally when the NBA says ahead of time, they aren't super high on a draft, they're right. For the class anyone, but as '13 proved, sometimes there's hidden gems in there, it could happen. I just wouldn't get your hopes up beyond just hoping we hit on whomever we draft unlike most picks in recent years.
The Consiglieri
Starter
And1: 526

Post#70 » by The Consiglieri » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:35 am

J-Ves wrote:
Hibachi_0 wrote:Right now, I don`t like anyone enough to pick him 1st or 2nd. If we end up 1 or 2 I would just trade down

No one wants to trade up in a weak draft. I say just use the pick on bpa and move on with the rebuild

Yep. This team is gonna be picking top 5-6 for years and years, just get the best guy you can find, aim for ceiling. If you miss, it just helps the tank for a better class, if you hit, it's an asset you can keep and trade. I know a lot of people don't want to face it, but this team is gonna be a sub 30 win team for probably half a decade or more barring mega lottery luck in '25-'26 and even then, I just think it would position us to finally turn the corner by around '28, rather than anything crazy like '25 or '26. This is a horrible team, w/o the normal assets a horrible team gets for trading away its valuable players. We got next to nothing for our rock bottoming because we waited too long to tank (and we did it just in time for the worst draft in nearly 5 years). As such, we're gonna be horrible for a long, long, long time.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,957

Post#71 » by Frichuela » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:50 am

The Consiglieri wrote:
J-Ves wrote:

Yep. This team is gonna be picking top 5-6 for years and years, just get the best guy you can find, aim for ceiling. If you miss, it just helps the tank for a better class, if you hit, it's an asset you can keep and trade. I know a lot of people don't want to face it, but this team is gonna be a sub 30 win team for probably half a decade or more barring mega lottery luck in '25-'26 and even then, I just think it would position us to finally turn the corner by around '28, rather than anything crazy like '25 or '26. This is a horrible team, w/o the normal assets a horrible team gets for trading away its valuable players. We got next to nothing for our rock bottoming because we waited too long to tank (and we did it just in time for the worst draft in nearly 5 years). As such, we're gonna be horrible for a long, long, long time.

Yep, afraid you hit the nail in the head. Let’s just hope for unexpected successes in the draft. Bilal looks like a good pick so far.
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 849

Post#72 » by 9 and 20 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:22 am

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10097625-2024-nba-mock-draft-full-predictions-and-round-1-pro-comparisons

Never heard of this guy Nikola Topic but he definitely looks like a young Luka Doncic to me. Add this guy to baby Giannis Bilal and we're set. Wes Jr about to poop his pants, but this time in excitement instead of another Poole and-1 mixtape Shamgod into a step-back 3 (miss, of course). Bring over the Jokic clone we grabbed in round two last year and Winger Winger chicken dinner championship.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#73 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:04 pm

To me, it's Sarr and everyone else.

18 year old with an already imposing body that will fill in more, already decent three point shot, explosive leaping ability, wingspan all day long. Put him next to Deni and Coulibali... try to score on that!
In Rizzo we trust
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,389

Post#74 » by NatP4 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:30 pm

Really don’t love much at the top of the lottery. Holland has been terrible in the G-League. Like Buzelis but he’s been injured and not playing. Sarr is a 7’1 center posting a 52% TS in the Australian league. Topic and Castle are the only ones I really like, but Castle has missed most of the year as well. Walter and Edwards are not interesting.

Mid 1st back end lottery: Reed Sheppard, Ryan Dunn, Kylan Boswell, and Kevin McCullar.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#75 » by NatP4 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:41 pm

I think I’m still:

1. Buzelis
2. Topic
3. Castle
Cooling on Collier, Holland, Sarr.
Hibachi_0
Sophomore
And1: 92

Post#76 » by Hibachi_0 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:41 pm

NatP4 wrote:Really don’t love much at the top of the lottery. Holland has been terrible in the G-League. Like Buzelis but he’s been injured and not playing. Sarr is a 7’1 center posting a 52% TS in the Australian league. Topic and Castle are the only ones I really like, but Castle has missed most of the year as well. Walter and Edwards are not interesting.

Mid 1st back end lottery: Reed Sheppard, Ryan Dunn, Kylan Boswell, and Kevin McCullar.

Topic and Castle are my favourites too. Have watched most of Topic minutes this season (all his full games are on Youtube if you guys are interested) and looking forward to see more from Castle once he`s back. Both of them, a part from being top talent, really fit what the WIzards have already
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,977

Post#77 » by FAH1223 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:17 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,584

Post#78 » by pcbothwel » Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:54 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46

Wow... For some reason I had him at 6'4 (No Shoes) and a ~6'8 wingspan.
I simply cant keep him out of my top 3 now.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#79 » by NatP4 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:54 pm

Ryan Dunn is just having a ridiculous year. 14-9-4-4 on 62% TS. One of the best defenders in college basketball.

Going to be a quality NBA wing.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,642

Post#80 » by pancakes3 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:49 pm

NatP4 wrote:Ryan Dunn is just having a ridiculous year. 14-9-4-4 on 62% TS. One of the best defenders in college basketball.

Going to be a quality NBA wing.

Can't shoot a lick though. Obviously has been working on it during the off-season, and UVa is running sets for him where he's in the corner but he can't finish. Putting up Nerlens Noel-type steals/blocks numbers though. I think he's overrated as a late lottery but has tremendous upside. If he doesn't improve though, he's DMac (Dominic Maguire for those who don't remember).
Bullets -> Wizards

Return to Washington Wizards