6%

Total votes: 33

DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,983

Re: The Official Kyle Kuzma Thread 

Post#841 » by DCZards » Sat Nov 4, 2023 9:23 pm

nate33 wrote:
DCZards wrote:Kuz is currently the 5th rated SF in PER. Behind Tatum, LeBron, DeRozan and Scottie Barnes…and ahead of Butler, Leonard and Mikal Bridges.

Deni is 7th on that list.

As I said earlier, I think Kuz and Deni could be a pretty solid tandem at forward - but in a more complementary role. They would do well as the 3rd and 4th best guys in the rotation. (This assume Deni can sustain this play, of course.) They're not guys who can bend a defense, but they have the versatility to exploit holes created by other defense benders, whether that's with shooting, slashing, or making the extra pass. And on defense, they have the versatility to switch 1 through 5 and provide a lot of different looks, while also doing their job on the defensive glass.

I don’t know, Nate. I’ve been increasingly impressed by Deni’s ability to put the ball on the floor and get to the rim. (If that’s what you mean by “bend a defense.”)

I’d really like to see Deni given more opportunities on the offensive end. He really is a very skilled player when you consider his ability to handle, penetrate and pass. And now both the 3 ball and midrange game appear to be emerging as potential strengths.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,884

Post#842 » by payitforward » Sat Nov 4, 2023 9:24 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Kuzma hasn't been that much more efficient than usual, especially considering small sample size. ....

Sample size has nothing to do with how more efficient Kuz has been. His career TS% is .544. This year he's at .558. That's a big jump.

Although it still leaves him less efficient than an average NBA 4, it's quite high given his extremely high usage -- he's taking almost twice as many shots as an average NBA 4. Since every player's shooting numbers include some bunnies, you have to be impressed by his shooting so far.

penbeast0 wrote:...What he has done well this year is cut turnovers so far, with his turnover % roughly half his career average while his assist % is at a career high....

His fouls are down as well. & his rebounds are up.

I've never been known as a fan of Kuz's performance. So far this year he is absolutely killing it!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#843 » by payitforward » Sat Nov 4, 2023 9:35 pm

Like Kuz, Deni is playing extremely well. Far better than last season. He's got a .622 TS% so far, on top of which his assists & steals are up while his turnovers are down.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,371

Post#844 » by nate33 » Sun Nov 5, 2023 12:01 am

DCZards wrote:
nate33 wrote:
DCZards wrote:Kuz is currently the 5th rated SF in PER. Behind Tatum, LeBron, DeRozan and Scottie Barnes…and ahead of Butler, Leonard and Mikal Bridges.

Deni is 7th on that list.

As I said earlier, I think Kuz and Deni could be a pretty solid tandem at forward - but in a more complementary role. They would do well as the 3rd and 4th best guys in the rotation. (This assume Deni can sustain this play, of course.) They're not guys who can bend a defense, but they have the versatility to exploit holes created by other defense benders, whether that's with shooting, slashing, or making the extra pass. And on defense, they have the versatility to switch 1 through 5 and provide a lot of different looks, while also doing their job on the defensive glass.

I don’t know, Nate. I’ve been increasingly impressed by Deni’s ability to put the ball on the floor and get to the rim. (If that’s what you mean by “bend a defense.”)

I’d really like to see Deni given more opportunities on the offensive end. He really is a very skilled player when you consider his ability to handle, penetrate and pass. And now both the 3 ball and midrange game appear to be emerging as potential strengths.

I think Deni gets into trouble when he tries to create against a set defense. He needs to be attacking a closeout or making a backdoor cut, or at least be running a secondary pick-and-roll after the primary action got the defense moving and out of position a bit. I'm not hating. Being a primary defense bender is a really rare thing. I'm happy enough that Deni is developing a complementary offensive game to go with his above-average defense.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,058

Post#845 » by dckingsfan » Sun Nov 5, 2023 12:04 am

I think one thing that stands out to me is the poor 3pt shooting of this team (I think we are ranked 28th in %).

I think that Kuz is still "part" of the problem there (in a very small sample size).
GoneShammGone
Junior
And1: 168

Post#846 » by GoneShammGone » Sun Nov 5, 2023 2:25 pm

dckingsfan wrote:I think one thing that stands out to me is the poor 3pt shooting of this team (I think we are ranked 28th in %).

I think that Kuz is still "part" of the problem there (in a very small sample size).

Even more so, we are currently dead last in the league in effective FG% defense. Kuz leads us in minutes, I think he has to share some of the blame there. Its funny because I feel like he has the tools to be a plus defender (length, quickness, motor), but for whatever reason, he just doesn't seem to make a difference on that end.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#847 » by WallToWall » Sun Nov 5, 2023 2:53 pm

Kuz is a smaller part of our perimeter defense being so bad. Look to the starting PG and SG for perimeter D. They are getting killed. Poole isn’t trying on D on most possessions. Jones tries, but is on the smaller side. They don’t get back fast enough, and give so much room on D when they do get back. I’m at the point where I’d suggest starting Johnny Davis in place of Poole. Our D may be a lot better. Kuzma will not have to cover up for mistakes , and leave his assignment, as much.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,385

Post#848 » by doclinkin » Sun Nov 5, 2023 3:10 pm

WallToWall wrote:Kuz is a smaller part of our perimeter defense being so bad. Look to the starting PG and SG for perimeter D. They are getting killed. Poole isn’t trying on D on most possessions. Jones tries, but is on the smaller side. They don’t get back fast enough, and give so much room on D when they do get back. I’m at the point where I’d suggest starting Johnny Davis in place of Poole. Our D may be a lot better. Kuzma will not have to cover up for mistakes , and leave his assignment, as much.

I think our outside defense is so terrible because our interior defense is trash. Players are forced to both play outside and play big on the interior and get caught between assignments. Everything flows towards the basket. if you have a reliable and intimidating paint presence then everyone else can play tighter on the outside. Yes we are small with Poole and Jones, but we suck even when Poole is off the floor. Until we get a mobile defensive center who can fill space and defend long without having to jump we are going to have problems in the middle. I want a long armed 7 footer who played soccer as their first sport and knows how to defend with positioning. Suddenly our outside defense will improve as well.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#849 » by dckingsfan » Sun Nov 5, 2023 7:41 pm

I think it is all of the above. Our interior D isn't that good (who is our starting PF?). Our guard D isn't that good.

Add to that - with our poor FG% and especially 3PT%, the other team is off to the races.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#850 » by payitforward » Mon Nov 6, 2023 12:37 am

dckingsfan wrote:I think it is all of the above....

Yup. We are bad at this, bad at that, & bad at the other thing too. We are a bad team. & we all know why.

Over the last 5 seasons we were, on average, a 33-win team. Nor were we on a meaningful upward track. Hence, the decision was made to rebuild (Hallelujah!!). But, since we were bad we didn't have much to trade that would have given us a flying start on the rebuilding process.

& so, guess what? We've gotten worse. Annoying, isn't it?

But, it had to be expected -- & we did expect it) Sadly, we'll be a bad team next year too. &, pretty clearly, the following year as well.

All the same, at least we're on the right track. At least there's a goal to contend some day. We're not going to be trading away picks in order to fill our roster w/ fading veterans. We aren't going to hope to "make the playoffs & get hot at the right time" as Ernie used to say.

In the meantime, as fans, on this board, we're going to have to be patient. Won't be easy given the decades of frustration that have piled up. But there's no alternative.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#851 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon Nov 6, 2023 2:00 am

payitforward wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:I think it is all of the above....

Yup. We are bad at this, bad at that, & bad at the other thing too. We are a bad team. & we all know why.

Over the last 5 seasons we were, on average, a 33-win team. Nor were we on a meaningful upward track. Hence, the decision was made to rebuild (Hallelujah!!). But, since we were bad we didn't have much to trade that would have given us a flying start on the rebuilding process.

But, it had to be expected -- & we did expect it) Sadly, we'll be a bad team next year too. &, pretty clearly, the following year as well.

All the same, at least we're on the right track. At least there's a goal to contend some day. We're not going to be trading away picks in order to fill our roster w/ fading veterans. We aren't going to hope to "make the playoffs & get hot at the right time" as Ernie used to say.

In the meantime, as fans, on this board, we're going to have to be patient. Won't be easy given the decades of frustration that have piled up. But there's no alternative.

I hear you PIF. But here's what I want to see from this rebuilding team:

1. Honest effort
2. Signs of a system coalescing
3. Signs of a strong culture forming.
4. Signs that Wes is improving or at least can improve as a coach.
5. 3-5 players emerging who could be contributors on decent contracts when we do get more competitive.

I'm loving the G league fourth quarters. I'm seeing something better in Deni and Kuz.

But, I'm not seeing much in terms of #1-4.

I'm a Nats fan and I really enjoyed this past season. Conversely, the year before was almost impossible to watch. We didn't contend or come close to it either year... but this year the effort was good, Davey looked like he was at least trying to manage, a couple young pieces emerged and the team seemed to gel.

That's what I'm hoping for.
In Rizzo we trust
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#852 » by dckingsfan » Mon Nov 6, 2023 4:51 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
payitforward wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:I think it is all of the above. Our interior D isn't that good (who is our starting PF?). Our guard D isn't that good...

I hear you PIF. But here's what I want to see from this rebuilding team:

1. Honest effort
2. Signs of a system coalescing
3. Signs of a strong culture forming.
4. Signs that Wes is improving or at least can improve as a coach.
5. 3-5 players emerging who could be contributors on decent contracts when we do get more competitive.

I'm loving the G league fourth quarters. I'm seeing something better in Deni and Kuz.

But, I'm not seeing much in terms of #1-4.

I'm a Nats fan and I really enjoyed this past season. Conversely, the year before was almost impossible to watch. We didn't contend or come close to it either year... but this year the effort was good, Davey looked like he was at least trying to manage, a couple young pieces emerged and the team seemed to gel.

That's what I'm hoping for.

My post was specifically around why our defense is poor in this small sample size. It wasn't some rant that we shouldn't rebuild. Nor did it require an annoying lecture - the women in my life have pointed out what mansplaining is - and this post would be highlighted under the definition(s) of mansplaning :)

But now to the new question about what we would like to see emerge from this rebuild - I will take on the defensive side of the ball. I would like to see if Wes can come up with defensive schemas to counter the inherent weaknesses of our personnel AND get them to play hard AND smart on that side of the ball.

To me this one is going to come down to if Wes has the capability to coach a rebuild.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#853 » by payitforward » Mon Nov 6, 2023 6:00 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
payitforward wrote:Yup. We are bad at this, bad at that, & bad at the other thing too. We are a bad team. & we all know why.

My post was specifically around why our defense is poor in this small sample size. It wasn't some rant that we shouldn't rebuild.... Nor did it require an annoying lecture....

My bad, man -- apologies.

I think I was writing just after I'd read a series of posts all or most of which seemed to imply that we should be better than we are.

But... I might have interpreted them wrongly -- & I certainly interpreted you wrongly!

In part too maybe I was lecturing myself!! :)

Whatever it was... sorry about that!
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#854 » by dckingsfan » Mon Nov 6, 2023 6:41 pm

payitforward wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
payitforward wrote:Yup. We are bad at this, bad at that, & bad at the other thing too. We are a bad team. & we all know why.

My post was specifically around why our defense is poor in this small sample size. It wasn't some rant that we shouldn't rebuild.... Nor did it require an annoying lecture....

My bad, man -- apologies.

I think I was writing just after I'd read a series of posts all or most of which seemed to imply that we should be better than we are.

But... I might have interpreted them wrongly -- & I certainly interpreted you wrongly!

In part too maybe I was lecturing myself!! :)

Whatever it was... sorry about that!

No apology necessary. Just trying to help change a behavior - I like your posts in general.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,690

Post#855 » by penbeast0 » Mon Nov 6, 2023 7:57 pm

Who guards the 4 usually, Deni or Kuz, or do they just put Deni on the opp's most dangerous scoring forward? I haven't seen all the games.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#856 » by payitforward » Mon Nov 6, 2023 8:55 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
payitforward wrote:My bad, man -- apologies....

No apology necessary. Just trying to help change a behavior - I like your posts in general.

:)
Ditto!
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#857 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 6, 2023 10:11 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Who guards the 4 usually, Deni or Kuz, or do they just put Deni on the opp's most dangerous scoring forward? I haven't seen all the games.

It has generally been the case that Deni guards the smaller, more mobile offensive threat.

Against Indiana, Deni guard Mathurin and Kuz guarded Toppin
Against Memphis, Deni guarded bane and Kuz guarded JJJ.
Nobody guarded anybody against Boston. (Actually, Kuz started at center, so he guarded Porzingis.)
Against Atlanta, Deni guarded Murray and I can't remember if Kuzma guarded Bey or Hunter.
I didn't see the Miami game.
penbeast0
And1: 8,690

Post#858 » by penbeast0 » Mon Nov 6, 2023 10:46 pm

Thanks, saw a couple of those and wondering if I was reading it right.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,923

Post#859 » by TGW » Tue Nov 7, 2023 3:43 am

As a Kyle Kuzma "disliker" (I won't say hater...that's reserved for Poole), I have to say KK has been really damn good to start the season. He's balling his @ss off. I don't know what the future holds for him in DC, but if he continues to play like this, dare I say he's a keeper (unless of course they get an offer they can't refuse like a lottery pick).
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#860 » by nate33 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:18 pm

Kuzma is currently averaging on per 36 basis:

30.7 points
8.4 boards
4.0 assists
2.7 turnovers
.592 TS%

He has only averaged 29.3 minutes because the starters have sat out a lot of 4th quarters, but I think he'd be averaging those numbers over 36 actual minutes if he played.

These are career high numbers for Kuzma across the board. His USG% is by far the highest of his career, yet his efficiency going by ORtg is also the highest, by a lot. His ORtg on the season is 115, his previous high is 106. And he is doing it without any outlier shooting from 3-point range. His 3P% is .353, which is in line with his 3P% average over the past 3 seasons.

Return to Washington Wizards