ImageImageImageImageImage

The Washington Commanders Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,735

Re: The Washington Commanders Thread 

Post#681 » by gambitx777 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:03 am

The argument for JJ over Daniels is the same as maye Daniels is gonna be 24 in December. JJ is 21 and Maye will be 22 start of season. So there is that

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,012

Post#682 » by Dark Faze » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:42 pm

I honestly feel like the decision to go with Daniels was made back when Howell was moved. Howell and Maye as QB1 and 2 makes too much sense. You give Maye a little more time to grow while still being able to see more from Howell. I don't think there would have been much awkwardness at all between Maye and Howell. Things are always going to be competitive between QB1 and 2, but the connection to UNC, familiarity of certain concepts, etc, I just don't see how Maye could have had a better teammate to develop alongside.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#683 » by Benjammin » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:09 pm

^^^It may or may not prove true, but I like the logic.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,910

Post#684 » by TGW » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:27 pm

W. Unseld wrote:With each article I read or podcast I listen to I get more confused on who "my guy" is. Kevin Sheehan pointed out it's a weird year in that the scouts don't seem to agree on much w/these prospects outside of Caleb.

Maye seems to have highest ceiling and lowest floor. Daniels seems to have highest floor---wonder why no one compares him to RG3 if he's a straight line speed guy--I'll take an RG3 that can slide any day.

Daniels doesn't slide well much like RG3. He has taken big hits.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,872

Post#685 » by Wizardspride » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:22 pm

Dark Faze wrote:I honestly feel like the decision to go with Daniels was made back when Howell was moved. Howell and Maye as QB1 and 2 makes too much sense. You give Maye a little more time to grow while still being able to see more from Howell. I don't think there would have been much awkwardness at all between Maye and Howell. Things are always going to be competitive between QB1 and 2, but the connection to UNC, familiarity of certain concepts, etc, I just don't see how Maye could have had a better teammate to develop alongside.

Actually, Maye gave an interview in which he talked about how uncomfortable he would be playing with Sam.

The idea of coming in and essentially taking his good friend's job didn't appeal to him.

Doesn't have to worry about that now...
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Dark Faze
Head Coach

Post#686 » by Dark Faze » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:29 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:I honestly feel like the decision to go with Daniels was made back when Howell was moved. Howell and Maye as QB1 and 2 makes too much sense. You give Maye a little more time to grow while still being able to see more from Howell. I don't think there would have been much awkwardness at all between Maye and Howell. Things are always going to be competitive between QB1 and 2, but the connection to UNC, familiarity of certain concepts, etc, I just don't see how Maye could have had a better teammate to develop alongside.

Actually, Maye gave an interview in which he talked about how uncomfortable he would be playing with Sam.

The idea of coming in and essentially taking his good friend's job didn't appeal to him.

Here's one quote about it:

“It’s one of those things where it’s not ideal, but at the same time, it’s part of a business,” he said when asked if he wanted to play alongside Howell. Maye wants both former Tar Heels to be starting QBs in the NFL. As a result, if they are on the same roster, only one can win the starting job.

“We’ve done it in college together; the best thing about it is we’ll help each other, and whether the scenario goes, he’s one of my best friends. Gonna be no hard feelings, it’s part of it. Being in there as two NFL quarterbacks, being in the same room… there’s a lot bigger problems in the world than that.”

It's not ideal to try to take a job from a friend, but the point remains that it'd be hard to find a better mentor.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#687 » by Wizardspride » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:40 pm

Dark Faze wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:

Here's one quote about it:

“It’s one of those things where it’s not ideal, but at the same time, it’s part of a business,” he said when asked if he wanted to play alongside Howell. Maye wants both former Tar Heels to be starting QBs in the NFL. As a result, if they are on the same roster, only one can win the starting job.

“We’ve done it in college together; the best thing about it is we’ll help each other, and whether the scenario goes, he’s one of my best friends. Gonna be no hard feelings, it’s part of it. Being in there as two NFL quarterbacks, being in the same room… there’s a lot bigger problems in the world than that.”

It's not ideal to try to take a job from a friend, but the point remains that it'd be hard to find a better mentor.

I don't think of Sam as a mentor to anyone honestly.

He's trying to establish himself in this league.

Thus the reason for the trade and the signing of Mariota imo.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#688 » by gambitx777 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:15 pm

Some names to look at in the back of the draft like 200 and back.
Strom duck

louisville CB 6'0 203 40t 4.43 and a 39 vertical

Sundiata Anderson
Grambling State EDGE 6'5 245 136 tackles, 28 for loss 14 sacks.

Tejhaun Palmer
UAB WR 6'2 210 40t 4.45

Jordan Whittington
Texas wr 6'1 40t 4.47

Mark Perry
TCU S 6'0 211 40t 4.40

Carson Steele
UCLA RB 21 6-0 225 had a great two years at ball state before he transferred to UCLA and got hurt. 1550 yards and 14 TD in 22.

W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

Post#689 » by W. Unseld » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:19 pm

Stinks that Daniels can't slide either, need to work on that on Day 1. My memory of RG3 was that he had a hell of an arm, the Daniels reviews don't seem to suggest he has as good of an arm as RG3 did but I do like the height advantage.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#690 » by Wizardspride » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:04 am

W. Unseld wrote:Stinks that Daniels can't slide either, need to work on that on Day 1. My memory of RG3 was that he had a hell of an arm, the Daniels reviews don't seem to suggest he has as good of an arm as RG3 did but I do like the height advantage.

Yeah, Robert's arm was much stronger. Not even close.
Dark Faze
Head Coach

Post#691 » by Dark Faze » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:20 pm

The anatomy of a throw:

1. Identify your target
2. The speed of your windup and release.
3. Velocity of the ball.
4. Accuracy of the ball.

Too much attention is paid to only a couple of these things. If someone can process and identify an open receiver with elite speed, and is accurate, there's less chance that significant zip on the ball is going to be necessary for a reception. Meanwhile, if you take forever to release the ball and also identify the open receiver, then incredible velocity and arm strength can make up for your delay somewhat in hitting a rapidly closing catching window.

This post isn't to side with any particular QB, just something to note when evaluating the prospects.

RG3's issue wasn't the sliding itself really. It was an inability to recognize when he should go down. He was too aggressive 90% of the time. Daniels has a similar issue and it's certainly scary and is definitely a knock against him.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#692 » by LyricalRico » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:52 am

Dark Faze wrote:RG3's issue wasn't the sliding itself really. It was an inability to recognize when he should go down. He was too aggressive 90% of the time. Daniels has a similar issue and it's certainly scary and is definitely a knock against him.

Agreed. The reliance on the big play isn't going to pay off nearly as much at the NFL level. I don't watch much college football, but Maye seems to have put up massive numbers. And if he did that by "metriculating the ball down the field", that plus the prototypical size might actually mean he has a higher floor IMO.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#693 » by gambitx777 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:47 am

LyricalRico wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:RG3's issue wasn't the sliding itself really. It was an inability to recognize when he should go down. He was too aggressive 90% of the time. Daniels has a similar issue and it's certainly scary and is definitely a knock against him.

Agreed. The reliance on the big play isn't going to pay off nearly as much at the NFL level. I don't watch much college football, but Maye seems to have put up massive numbers. And if he did that by "metriculating the ball down the field", that plus the prototypical size might actually mean he has a higher floor IMO.
I like Daniels and I think if he can stay healthy he can be really good. But, I wouldn't loose any sleep if we traded #2 to the Vikings for a record setting haul!

Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#694 » by Wizardspride » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:25 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=0-qBbyAFvbzPMtgQKOb9FA&s=19
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#695 » by Wizardspride » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:47 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=gv7ZJAHxyYvwjiY8OPfWAw&s=19
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,781

Post#696 » by Rafael122 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:42 pm

Part of me wishes we had the 3rd pick b/c it would be easy to take the other guy that isn't picked at 2. I don't think its hyperbole to say the future of this franchise hinges on this QB pick. If we pick Maye, and Daniels balls out, or vice versa...man.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Dark Faze
Head Coach

Post#697 » by Dark Faze » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:19 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Part of me wishes we had the 3rd pick b/c it would be easy to take the other guy that isn't picked at 2. I don't think its hyperbole to say the future of this franchise hinges on this QB pick. If we pick Maye, and Daniels balls out, or vice versa...man.

Almost feels inevitable with a franchise like New England at 3. I know they've been down of late, but the "quality franchise" energy is still there.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#698 » by gambitx777 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:55 pm

Dark Faze wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:Part of me wishes we had the 3rd pick b/c it would be easy to take the other guy that isn't picked at 2. I don't think its hyperbole to say the future of this franchise hinges on this QB pick. If we pick Maye, and Daniels balls out, or vice versa...man.

Almost feels inevitable with a franchise like New England at 3. I know they've been down of late, but the "quality franchise" energy is still there.
I'm still ok if we trade back I hate the we have to take a QB narrative. You don't. You don't need to be good right now. We can take a QB next year or in later rounds. I like Daniels or JJ but if we treas back with say mini for a historic haul id be so happy.

Dark Faze
Head Coach

Post#699 » by Dark Faze » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:15 pm

gambitx777 wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:

I'm still ok if we trade back I hate the we have to take a QB narrative. You don't. You don't need to be good right now. We can take a QB next year or in later rounds. I like Daniels or JJ but if we treas back with say mini for a historic haul id be so happy.

I think it's too late for that mindset, but I generally think that teams should just draft a qb in either the 2nd or 3rd round every couple of years. The kind of projects you see in that range will hit eventually, without requiring the huge investments that first rounders tend to bring.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#700 » by gambitx777 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:59 pm

Dark Faze wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:

I think it's too late for that mindset, but I generally think that teams should just draft a qb in either the 2nd or 3rd round every couple of years. The kind of projects you see in that range will hit eventually, without requiring the huge investments that first rounders tend to bring.
I mean there eisna chance MPJ might impress everyone and you're not taking him #2. You're probably teasing back at least once for him and you can probably get him at 11 and absolutely clean up!

Return to Washington Wizards