montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

The Washington Commanders Thread 

Post#1 » by montestewart » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:54 pm

Continued from The Washington Football Team Thread

The Washington Redskins Thread here

In case you need to follow the entire history one lonely night.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Re: The Washington Commanders Thread 

Post#2 » by doclinkin » Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:49 am

I hate the title of this thread.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#3 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:56 am

Let’s just make it the Washington Redwolves Thread. Start a movement. Have people wear Redwolves gear to games. Chant HTTRedwolves … until it simply becomes inevitable.
In Rizzo we trust
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#4 » by montestewart » Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:12 am

doclinkin wrote:I hate the title of this thread.

I thought about doing The Washington Football Team Thread, Part 2, but it isn't really accurate. Forcing government town lingo on a sports team's name is so lame. What next, the Triplicates? The Pages? The Debt Ceilings? The Shutdowns? Regardless, in DC, changing the name of a sports team is like changing horses on the Titanic. Everyone knows you're going down in a seemingly bottomless flaming descent and I've run out of metaphors to mix. Although The National Maul would be a good name.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,163

Post#5 » by AFM » Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:19 am

Let's go full circle and change the name to The Washington Bullets
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#6 » by Halcyon » Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:30 am

My guess is that a name change will happen. The new group wants to disassociate themselves as far as possible from Snyder. The ultimate F-you to him is to remove the Commanders name from existence.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#7 » by doclinkin » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:21 am

montestewart wrote:

I thought about doing The Washington Football Team Thread, Part 2, but it isn't really accurate.

It is more accurate than Commanders. People follow this team because they are the football team that plays nearest Washington DC. Nobody became a fan because they think the current name is great. It is the last smear of Danny and I am sure it will be wiped away as soon as it is feasible. People were happy enough with the WFT. It was absurd, but in an apt way.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#8 » by montestewart » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:37 am

doclinkin wrote:
montestewart wrote:

I thought about doing The Washington Football Team Thread, Part 2, but it isn't really accurate.

It is more accurate than Commanders. People follow this team because they are the football team that plays nearest Washington DC. Nobody became a fan because they think the current name is great. It is the last smear of Danny and I am sure it will be wiped away as soon as it is feasible. People were happy enough with the WFT. It was absurd, but in an apt way.

Years from now, the name changes will be a funny footnote, like the Capital Bullets or the NO/OKC Thunder.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#9 » by gambitx777 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:03 am

I wasn't saying the commanders should stand I was saying we should go back to the Washington football team. The logo was good too with the big W and the dates around it.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,906

Post#10 » by TGW » Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:36 pm

doclinkin wrote:
montestewart wrote:

People were happy enough with the WFT. It was absurd, but in an apt way.

I agree. Even though I didn't like it at first, it kind of started to stick as the season progressed. The team with no name or a real logo or mascot was winning games and going to the playoffs (and almost winning). It was a great season.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#11 » by nate33 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:38 pm

I always thought they should be the Washington Bureaucrats - a name sure to inspire fear and terror in all opponents.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#12 » by miller31time » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:11 pm

nate33 wrote:I always thought they should be the Washington Bureaucrats - a name sure to inspire fear and terror in all opponents.

I’ve always been partial to the Washington Filibusters.

“We might not win, but you sure as hell won’t either.”
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#13 » by doclinkin » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:16 pm

I liked the Washington Rednecks. If we were gonna go racial, be equal opportunity about it. Just use a pink skinned version of the logo and throw a truckers cap and mullet on him. We can switch back and forth from week to week. Or get the whole melanin spectrum up there with one stereotyped mascot after another. What's more scary than you know, people.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,906

Post#14 » by TGW » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:26 pm

miller31time wrote:
nate33 wrote:I always thought they should be the Washington Bureaucrats - a name sure to inspire fear and terror in all opponents.

I’ve always been partial to the Washington Filibusters.

“We might not win, but you sure as hell won’t either.”

:lol:
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#15 » by montestewart » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:42 pm

Shorthand: ‘Crats or ‘Reaus? “Crats crap the bed” has staying power.

The Washington Parking Enforcement is very relatable to locals who park in DC, inspired by the single most effective and infuriating government entity in town. Plus the name just rolls off the tongue.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#16 » by montestewart » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:47 pm

doclinkin wrote:I liked the Washington Rednecks. If we were gonna go racial, be equal opportunity about it. Just use a pink skinned version of the logo and throw a truckers cap and mullet on him. We can switch back and forth from week to week. Or get the whole melanin spectrum up there with one stereotyped mascot after another. What's more scary than you know, people.

Inspired by the Nationals’ presidential mascot races, they could have the race-based mascots race before or during every game, but before the race concludes, the race mascots break out into a comical riot, lampooning the folly of racial animus. I’m sure that would be received well.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,163

Post#17 » by AFM » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:40 pm

The rednecks logo was created as a joke, but I actually thought it looked tight. And I don't think actual rednecks would mind at all.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#18 » by doclinkin » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:46 pm

AFM wrote:The rednecks logo was created as a joke, but I actually thought it looked tight. And I don't think actual rednecks would mind at all.

Right? The possibilities are endless. Like, why not rock a Washington Redbones logo too. I'm just saying, the merchandise would sell.
popper
Veteran
And1: 366

Post#19 » by popper » Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:40 pm

I still like the Redskin Potatoes and replacing the Chief mascot with a spud.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#20 » by verbal8 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:40 pm

doclinkin wrote:
montestewart wrote:

If James Dolan does the right thing, Washington can have a new team name.

Return to Washington Wizards