The Washington Commanders Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Re: The Washington Commanders Thread 

Post#641 » by Rafael122 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:24 pm

My issues with Daniels is weight. ESPN has Maye and Daniels at the same height, Maye has a 20 pound advantage. If Daniels gains 10-12 more pounds, I think he'll be alright. For reference, RG 3 came in at 6'2'' 223 and still ran a 4.41 so it's possible Daniels can still put on weight and not lose much speed.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#642 » by DCZards » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:11 pm

Rafael122 wrote:My issues with Daniels is weight. ESPN has Maye and Daniels at the same height, Maye has a 20 pound advantage. If Daniels gains 10-12 more pounds, I think he'll be alright. For reference, RG 3 came in at 6'2'' 223 and still ran a 4.41 so it's possible Daniels can still put on weight and not lose much speed.
I don't consider Daniels' weight an issue. He's pretty much the same weight that Lamar Jackson was when he came into the league. Lamar is still under 220lbs.

I'd expect Daniels to gain at least 5-10 more pounds over the course of the next year or so.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,906

Post#643 » by TGW » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:41 pm

Difference between Lamar Jackson and Daniels is that Jackson is an elusive runner, while Daniels is just fast and and has a quick first plant. Lamar actually knows how to avoid big hits in the pocket and in the open field, whereas Daniels was getting blown up repeatedly in college. Daniels was lucky not to play an actual NFL defense with dogs trying to end his career.

He has to learn how to slide appropriately and not take big hits or he's going to have a short NFL career.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Endless Loop
Sophomore
And1: 175

Post#644 » by Endless Loop » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:49 pm

Can somebody explain why the Commanders are doing so many 1 year deals with free agents?

Next year they'll have all-new coaches and schemes, and a largely new roster. Including a new starting QB. It'll take a while for all those pieces to gel- and by the time they do, most of this year's signees will be free agents!

Just seems strange.

Even when Gibbs came, the team started out, what, 0-5? And his roster and coaching staff had fewer new faces than this one will.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#645 » by pancakes3 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:21 pm

TGW wrote:Difference between Lamar Jackson and Daniels is that Jackson is an elusive runner, while Daniels is just fast and and has a quick first plant. Lamar actually knows how to avoid big hits in the pocket and in the open field, whereas Daniels was getting blown up repeatedly in college. Daniels was lucky not to play an actual NFL defense with dogs trying to end his career.

He has to learn how to slide appropriately and not take big hits or he's going to have a short NFL career.

Lamar was also (1) younger; and (2) had 2 seasons of heisman-caliber production whereas Daniels really only broke out now in his 5th season as a first round prospect.

Endless Loop wrote:Can somebody explain why the Commanders are doing so many 1 year deals with free agents?

Next year they'll have all-new coaches and schemes, and a largely new roster. Including a new starting QB. It'll take a while for all those pieces to gel- and by the time they do, most of this year's signees will be free agents!

Just seems strange.

Even when Gibbs came, the team started out, what, 0-5? And his roster and coaching staff had fewer new faces than this one will.

your guess is as good as mine but I like the 1 year deals.
- you can evaluate these good-not-great vets to see if they can play the schemes
- you maintain cap flexibility for next year's draft class, which I think we'll also have a really high pick in
- better to take big swings on blue chip free agents after seeing whether the rookie QB is for real or not vs. blowing the load now on FAs without knowing how the rookie qb is going to pan out.
Bullets -> Wizards
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Post#646 » by BearlyBallin » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:33 pm

Endless Loop wrote:Can somebody explain why the Commanders are doing so many 1 year deals with free agents?

Just seems strange.

From the Washington Post:

Inside Adam Peters’s roster-building strategy with the Commanders

Analysis by Sam Fortier

The benefits of this measured approach are obvious: It creates position flexibility in the draft, where Peters wants to build the roster, and gives Washington motivated players to support those picks, most importantly the quarterback it’s likely to select at No. 2 (or later).

Basically, Peters wants to build a bridge roster for 2024. He’s investing enough to compete but not so much to limit his options in the long term, turning the page on Rivera quickly but not cementing his own cornerstones until the draft. Most of his free agents probably will be gone in the next year or two, with the possible exceptions of defensive end Dorance Armstrong, linebacker Frankie Luvu and center Tyler Biadasz.
Of the 20 signings, just four — safety Jeremy Reaves, receiver/returner Jamison Crowder, swing tackle Cornelius Lucas and defensive end Efe Obada — played for Washington last year. It has been easy over the past week to wonder if Peters preferred to bring back as few of Rivera’s players as possible to reset the culture of the locker room. But one team official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations, insisted that wasn’t the case, saying Peters is just trying to build the best team possible.
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#647 » by gambitx777 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:55 am

Just seems strange.

Well it's money management. They are gonna have cap left over and this deals give them flexibility if they are worth keeping around they can try and keep them if not they can roll that cap over while developing younger players and paying those players when those deals come up. Cosmi is gonna get PAID soon. So will others! Keeping the powder dry for long term deals that are worth it instead of over paying dudes just to do it.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#648 » by gambitx777 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:24 am

TGW wrote:Difference between Lamar Jackson and Daniels is that Jackson is an elusive runner, while Daniels is just fast and and has a quick first plant. Lamar actually knows how to avoid big hits in the pocket and in the open field, whereas Daniels was getting blown up repeatedly in college. Daniels was lucky not to play an actual NFL defense with dogs trying to end his career.

Lamar is 6'2. Daniels is 6'4 he's 210 that's probably generous. I'd say putting 15-20 LB on him safely with out compromsing his athletic ability by the age of 25-26 is doable.

Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,867

Post#649 » by Wizardspride » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:47 pm

gambitx777 wrote:

Lamar is 6'2. Daniels is 6'4 he's 210 that's probably generous. I'd say putting 15-20 LB on him safely with out compromsing his athletic ability by the age of 25-26 is doable.

Nah. I don't think it's doable at all.

From various reports, he struggles to gain/keep on weight as it is.

Considering he'll be 24 years old during his rookie season, I don't see him gaining that much weight in a year or two.

I think at this point he is who he is.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
TGW
RealGM

Post#650 » by TGW » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:49 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:

Considering he'll be 24 years old during his rookie season, I don't see him gaining that much weight in a year or two.

This.

My other issue with Daniels is that he consistently had receivers wide open (he had an amazing receiving core - three first round talents) but opted to run much more than he had to, and also he had massive running lanes because his receivers were so damn good. That's why I take college stats with a grain of salt. You have to look at tendencies with college quarterbacks. Do they make throws through tight windows, do they go through progressions, do they throw at different angles, can they extend plays, do they opt to run instead of throw when receivers are open, etc.

To me, Daniels is a guy you sit for a couple of years so that he improves his understanding of an NFL offense, and also work on his body. Maye, despite being two years older, is physically and mentally more ready than Daniels. Hell, you can make the argument that McCarthy is more ready than Daniels is.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#651 » by gambitx777 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:50 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:

I talked to a power lifter and professional strength and condition guy I know and I asked him about Daniels. He said with the right work out and nutrition plan and constant tweaks he could get him to 230 in about 17-19 months.

TGW
RealGM

Post#652 » by TGW » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:11 pm

Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#653 » by Wizardspride » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:11 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=1re8-RM5yZqBcNoB3jOtUQ&s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
popper
Veteran
And1: 366

Post#654 » by popper » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:18 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=1re8-RM5yZqBcNoB3jOtUQ&s=19

I think that's 3 FA CB's signed to date. I think two of them are 6'2" plus. All seem serviceable. Our front office looks to be extremely talented and competent.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,012

Post#655 » by Dark Faze » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:44 pm

The Jayden Daniels weight stuff is weird. This is 2024. The science of weight gain is known to insane levels by any sports conditioning coach. Nobody is failing to gain strength and weight as a professional these days. We aren't even talking the NFL, you look at the NBA and literal stick figures like AD, Ingram, and Durant managed to add muscle in a league that requires significantly more calorie spend over the course of a season as compared to the NFL.

Whether or not he's the right choice at #2 is an open question but he's going to gain weight for sure.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#656 » by Wizardspride » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:56 pm

Dark Faze wrote:The Jayden Daniels weight stuff is weird. This is 2024. The science of weight gain is known to insane levels by any sports conditioning coach. Nobody is failing to gain strength and weight as a professional these days. We aren't even talking the NFL, you look at the NBA and literal stick figures like AD, Ingram, and Durant managed to add muscle in a league that requires significantly more calorie spend over the course of a season as compared to the NFL.

Whether or not he's the right choice at #2 is an open question but he's going to gain weight for sure.

Or he just has the body type that struggles to gain weight....
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#657 » by gambitx777 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:20 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:The Jayden Daniels weight stuff is weird. This is 2024. The science of weight gain is known to insane levels by any sports conditioning coach. Nobody is failing to gain strength and weight as a professional these days. We aren't even talking the NFL, you look at the NBA and literal stick figures like AD, Ingram, and Durant managed to add muscle in a league that requires significantly more calorie spend over the course of a season as compared to the NFL.

Or he just has the body type that struggles to gain weight....
That's kind of a myth it's not the body type it's really all down to dedication, effort and how committed he is.

My buddy is a power lifter. He needs to eat 5-6 times a day on schedule lift on schedule to loose or gain what he needs and to modify his strength and that's for functional not flashy muscle. Some people don't have the will power to eat that much and work out that hard and tactically.

tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#658 » by tontoz » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:20 pm

Joel Klatt with a more positive view of Drake Maye. He has Maye as a clear number 2 due to upside potential.

"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#659 » by Wizardspride » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:31 pm

tontoz wrote:Joel Klatt with a more positive view of Drake Maye. He has Maye as a clear number 2 due to upside potential.

That's where I'm at too.

Physically bigger than Jayden

Much bigger arm than Jayden

Much younger
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#660 » by Wizardspride » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:57 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=0--CIufeb9HI08jXrF2SNw&s=19

Return to Washington Wizards