Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,186

Re: Most Hated Wizards of All Time 

Post#61 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:09 pm

I can't dislike Wall because his defense was so much better than Kyrie's
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#62 » by Halcyon » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:26 pm

Y'all hating on Wall are ridiculous
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,359

Post#63 » by nate33 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:01 pm

Wall was never an efficient scorer or an efficient passer (high turnover rate). His on-ball defense was also highly overrated, though he was excellent in help defense as a shot blocking guard.

I'm not saying he sucked or anything. I just don't think he was quite as good as the hype. He peaked as a top 20-ish player, not the top 10 player he perceived himself to be.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#64 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:31 pm

He was better than Kyrie
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,368

Post#65 » by doclinkin » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:06 pm

My list of irrational favorites far exceeds the roster of dislikeable guys.

Jahidi White was fun to watch. He only did one thing, but he did it big.
Steve Blake pi55ed off long-ago poster Induveca simply because he was a local favorite. I loved that he outplayed that bias and proved to be a player in this league.
Likewise Juan Dixon had no business being on an NBA court except that his heart exceeded his body mass.
Gheorghe Mursean was only in the league for a bout a minute and a half and is legendary in my heart. I recall him being late to practice because he could not resist pulling over to roadside vegetable stands and buying all of it.
Past his prime Scott Skiles played here for a minute and was the toughest little pit bull on court in any game.
Earl Boykins had a minute with us in a long career, and it was always mind boggling to see that wee leprechaun running around out there.
As much as Ernie stoked my ire he did manage to bring players like Okafor and Nene and Gortat for a productive run. Each of whom could qualify as 'rational' favorites but I appreciated their play even more in contrast to others we have had manning the middle. We have had a handful of solid centers every now and again.
Rex Chapman, Tim Legler, Tracy Murray, Martell Webster, Rasual Butler. Every few years we catch an outside shooter that can get hot and put up 30+ on a good night.
Couldn't stand Paul Pierce on other teams, loved having him here.
Josh Howard did nothing for us, but I liked watching him play.
Dom McGuire, Nick Young, JaVale, Dray, they all under achieved on talent but their antics and off court chemistry were entertaining to follow.
Trevor Booker undersized but fought like hell for his spot in the league.
Popeye Jones has to make the list of the leagues' goofiest looking ogres, but because of that he was fun to watch. I liked players like Mike Ruffin (until he flung the ball away). Smart guys who stuck in the league because they did maximize the minimal talent they had.
And more.

Midgets giants scrubs and castoffs. If you can't root for the underdogs you have no business being a Wizards fan. Really that's kinda our anthem.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#66 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:09 pm

I'd be a popular coach too if the first word out of my mouth was "I don't care about your defense"

I loved Gortat. And can't help but love my spirit animal Juan Dixon.

I had an irrational love for Andray Blatche. Quintessential second round surprise player, 100% lived up to what you would expect. Weird ass looking game but surprisingly effective.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#67 » by penbeast0 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:36 pm

doclinkin wrote:My list of irrational favorites far exceeds the roster of dislikeable guys.

Jahidi White was fun to watch. He only did one thing, but he did it big.
Steve Blake pi55ed off long-ago poster Induveca simply because he was a local favorite. I loved that he outplayed that bias and proved to be a player in this league.
Likewise Juan Dixon had no business being on an NBA court except that his heart exceeded his body mass.
Gheorghe Mursean was only in the league for a bout a minute and a half and is legendary in my heart. I recall him being late to practice because he could not resist pulling over to roadside vegetable stands and buying all of it.
Past his prime Scott Skiles played here for a minute and was the toughest little pit bull on court in any game.
Earl Boykins had a minute with us in a long career, and it was always mind boggling to see that wee leprechaun running around out there.
As much as Ernie stoked my ire he did manage to bring players like Okafor and Nene and Gortat for a productive run. Each of whom could qualify as 'rational' favorites but I appreciated their play even more in contrast to others we have had manning the middle. We have had a handful of solid centers every now and again.
Rex Chapman, Tim Legler, Tracy Murray, Martell Webster, Rasual Butler. Every few years we catch an outside shooter that can get hot and put up 30+ on a good night.
Couldn't stand Paul Pierce on other teams, loved having him here.
Josh Howard did nothing for us, but I liked watching him play.
Dom McGuire, Nick Young, JaVale, Dray, they all under achieved on talent but their antics and off court chemistry were entertaining to follow.
Trevor Booker undersized but fought like hell for his spot in the league.
Popeye Jones has to make the list of the leagues' goofiest looking ogres, but because of that he was fun to watch. I liked players like Mike Ruffin (until he flung the ball away). Smart guys who stuck in the league because they did maximize the minimal talent they had.
And more.

Midgets giants scrubs and castoffs. If you can't root for the underdogs you have no business being a Wizards fan. Really that's kinda our anthem.

I liked most of those guys though didn't love them. Rex Chapman was the exception. He was Swaggy P without the Swag, had the talent to be very very good but not the spirit. I don't remember Legler in particular (or Rasual for that matter) being capable of going to 30. Basically poor man's Corey Kispert types offensively, could hit an open 3 at an outstanding rate and occasionally succeed in coverage but not someone who could create for themselves. Know I watched Martell for a year but for the life of me I can't remember how he looked as a Wiz. Did like Tracy Murray both here and in Toronto.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,368

Post#68 » by doclinkin » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:48 am

penbeast0 wrote:
doclinkin wrote:My list of irrational favorites

I liked most of those guys though didn't love them. Rex Chapman was the exception. He was Swaggy P without the Swag, had the talent to be very very good but not the spirit. I don't remember Legler in particular (or Rasual for that matter) being capable of going to 30. Basically poor man's Corey Kispert types offensively, could hit an open 3 at an outstanding rate and occasionally succeed in coverage but not someone who could create for themselves. Know I watched Martell for a year but for the life of me I can't remember how he looked as a Wiz. Did like Tracy Murray both here and in Toronto.

Rex had eight 30+ pt games here.
Legler led the league in 3FG% with the wiz one year at better than 52% 3FG.
Rasual Butler was washed by the time he reached us but hit 50% from 3 to start the year Oct-Dec.
Martell Webster had 2 30pt games for the Wiz and shot ~40% from 3 for a couple years here.
Tracy Murray hit a 50 piece game with the Wiz. Hit 40% from 3 a couple years here. And had a fistfight with Strickland over some thottie they were both seeing. LOL
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 837

Post#69 » by 9 and 20 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:08 am

Completely forgot about Boykins! I just looked him up and he still looks 12 years old. I want to see him show up at a 6th grade basketball game like the guy from the benchwarmers. I am 12.

Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#70 » by gambitx777 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:36 pm

I hope Bradley beal goes to the beach on a really hot day, loses his sandels and has to walk on the black top barefoot back to the car.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,163

Post#71 » by AFM » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:18 pm

Well Bradley Beal isn't going anywhere. Dude is still racking up DNP because of his back.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#72 » by Kanyewest » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:58 pm

AFM wrote:Well Bradley Beal isn't going anywhere. Dude is still racking up DNP because of his back.

Wizards saw that he was going to have Voodoo curse like Arenas and Wall and moved him.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,112

Post#73 » by J-Ves » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:26 pm

AFM wrote:Well Bradley Beal isn't going anywhere. Dude is still racking up DNP because of his back.

We dumped his ass just in time. That Suns situation figures to get ugly if things don’t improve quickly
9 and 20
Rookie

Post#74 » by 9 and 20 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:23 pm

Does Chris Paul count as a Wizard? HIm and Mike Bibby are in the same category - guys that were here for 5 minutes, maybe less. Not really hated or loved, just kind of in their own class of so Wiz.

Dwight Howard had his own so Wiz episode with this sorry franchise.

Also in their own category are the summer of 2016 guys. We went from Durant to Al Horford, to all of sudden, the third and fourth string centers from a terrible Magic team, plus Ian Mahinmi.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,907

Post#75 » by TGW » Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:57 pm

I completely forgot Dwight Howard was here. Him.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,163

Post#76 » by AFM » Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:15 pm

Man do you guys remember the games Mike Bibby played here? He made it absolutely clear he didn’t want to play a minute here and pouted on the court every second of the game. And then he agreed to a 0% buyout, effectively nullifying his contract. He just said “release me” and gave up all the remaining money on his contract I’m not sure I’ve ever seen that happen before
9 and 20
Rookie

Post#77 » by 9 and 20 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:00 pm

Bobby Portis. I'm only ever reminded he was a Wiz when we play against him. Never liked him and I can't even remember why.
Doug_Blew
Junior
And1: 313

Post#78 » by Doug_Blew » Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:45 pm

9 and 20 wrote:Bobby Portis. I'm only ever reminded he was a Wiz when we play against him. Never liked him and I can't even remember why.

I've disliked Bobby Portis ever since he took a cheap shot on Satorinsky attempting a dunk.

wewillnevertank
Freshman
And1: 29

Post#79 » by wewillnevertank » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:05 pm

For me:

1) Dinwiddie: Never seen someone consistently trash the team after leaving. Continuously gives jilted ex-GF vibes.

2) DeShawn Stevenson -- Dude always seemed like such a punk during the "beef" with LeBron and the Cavs.
wewillnevertank
Freshman
And1: 29

Post#80 » by wewillnevertank » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:32 pm

TGW wrote:I completely forgot Dwight Howard was here. Him.

In all fairness, so did he.

Return to Washington Wizards