Line-ups, rotation, analysis thread - Part II

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Re: Line-ups, rotation, analysis thread - Part II 

Post#141 » by penbeast0 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:51 am

If we move Bilal into the starting lineup with Deni, Kuz, Tyus, and Bagley, who plays the 2 guard?
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,358

Post#142 » by nate33 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:07 am

penbeast0 wrote:If we move Bilal into the starting lineup with Deni, Kuz, Tyus, and Bagley, who plays the 2 guard?

If you mean who has secondary ball handling duties behind Tyus, the answer is Kuzma and Avdija. If you mean who guards the opposition's 2 guard defensively, that would be Bilal.

If we are benching Poole, I wouldn’t start Bilal. I’d start Kispert. The rotation where we always keep one of Bilal or Avdija on the floor to defend the point of attack is working just fine. I wouldn't muck it up by starting Bilal and then scrounging for defense on the second unit. Also, our defense has actually been pretty solid lately. The starters actually need more offense, not defense. Kispert makes more sense.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,018

Post#143 » by dckingsfan » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:55 am

penbeast0 wrote:So, when do we get Jared Butler some minutes...

I would hope we would run with:

PG: Tyus/Butler
SG: Kispert/Poole
F:Kuz/Avdija/Coulibaly
C: Bagley/Holmes

Why? I want to see what Butler has. I want Poole to get the message. I want Kispert to start to up his trade value.

I think the rest is obvious.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#144 » by payitforward » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:12 am

I'm puzzled by the fact that we are now down to 13 players with regular-roster conctracts.

We also had Hamidou Diallo on a10-day deal, but I think that's expired.

(I don't know why Diallo fell out of the league, btw -- he's a pretty good player IMO)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#145 » by payitforward » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:09 am

Wait... we also added Justin Champagnie on a 10-day... right?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
penbeast0
And1: 8,679

Post#146 » by penbeast0 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:06 pm

payitforward wrote:I'm puzzled by the fact that we are now down to 13 players with regular-roster conctracts.

We also had Hamidou Diallo on a10-day deal, but I think that's expired.

(I don't know why Diallo fell out of the league, btw -- he's a pretty good player IMO)

Similar to Killian Hayes, guard who does other things well but can't shoot, though Diallo can at least finish at the rim.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#147 » by payitforward » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:11 pm

Diallo is not particularly similar to Killian Hayes.

"Shoot" is important, to be sure. But "score" is far more important. Per 40 minutes last year, Diallo scored 44% more points than Killian Hayes! Moreover, Diallo's TS% was 59.3 % -- while Hayes was at 45.6%.

Now... on his career Diallo is below average in TS% for a shooting guard -- almost entirely because of his first two years: since '20-21 he's actually just about average overall.

He also does a zillion things Hayes doesn't do -- above all, he's an extremely good rebounder for a guard, especially on the offensive end.

In short, we learn nothing by comparing these two players.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#148 » by gambitx777 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:12 pm

I would sign Aleksej Pokusevski tomorrow

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#149 » by dckingsfan » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:44 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:So, when do we get Jared Butler some minutes...

I would hope we would run with:

PG: Tyus/Butler
SG: Kispert/Poole
F:Kuz/Avdija/Coulibaly
C: Bagley/Holmes

Why? I want to see what Butler has. I want Poole to get the message. I want Kispert to start to up his trade value.

I think the rest is obvious.

So, we went with:

Tyus
Coulibaly
Deni
Kuz
Bagley

Interesting.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#150 » by dckingsfan » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:22 pm

And under the heading of "yay"!

Maybe it lights a fire under him - or not.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/274792/Jordan-Poole-Unhappy-About-Move-To-Wizards-Bench
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,906

Post#151 » by TGW » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:42 pm

Poole and Kuzma should be gone this summer IMO. If the front office wants to field an actual team, and not a bunch of ill-fitting junk parts, then those two need to be gome in some way shape or form. And yes, I'm including Kuzma because he's not the right fit for where this team is in its development. We need vets that can play in a structure, not these free for all, off-script vets that want to shoot 30 times a game.

As for Poole, I don't care at this point. Trade him for anything. I mean anything. He is a virus.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#152 » by tontoz » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:46 pm

TGW wrote:Poole and Kuzma should be gone this summer IMO. If the front office wants to field an actual team, and not a bunch of ill-fitting junk parts, then those two need to be gome in some way shape or form. And yes, I'm including Kuzma because he's not the right fit for where this team is in its development. We need vets that can play in a structure, not these free for all, off-script vets that want to shoot 30 times a game.

As for Poole, I don't care at this point. Trade him for anything. I mean anything. He is a virus.

We'd probably have to attach assets to Poole to move him. I think we are stuck with him.

Agreed on Kuzma Ive had enough of his chucking.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#153 » by Frichuela » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:50 pm

tontoz wrote:
TGW wrote:Poole and Kuzma should be gone this summer IMO. If the front office wants to field an actual team, and not a bunch of ill-fitting junk parts, then those two need to be gome in some way shape or form. And yes, I'm including Kuzma because he's not the right fit for where this team is in its development. We need vets that can play in a structure, not these free for all, off-script vets that want to shoot 30 times a game.

We'd probably have to attach assets to Poole to move him. I think we are stuck with him.

Count me in too. For the good of the team Kuzma needs to be traded in the offseason. Our FO should be able to get decent value: a prospect and a good 1st rounder or a vet with salary in the books and two firsts. On the former I am thinking Aldama + Kennard+ MEM 2025 1st, on the latter how about John Collins+2025 MIN +2025 CLE.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#154 » by doclinkin » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:33 pm

TGW wrote:Poole and Kuzma should be gone this summer IMO. If the front office wants to field an actual team, and not a bunch of ill-fitting junk parts, then those two need to be gone in some way shape or form. And yes, I'm including Kuzma because he's not the right fit for where this team is in its development. We need vets that can play in a structure, not these free for all, off-script vets that want to shoot 30 times a game.

Nope:

;ab_channel=Courtside

;ab_channel=NBAAfrica

;ab_channel=qwik11hoops

We have nothing right now around which to build a team. At least in the sense of an untradeable franchise player. Until we land that guy there is no sense trying to cobble together a bunch of parts and hope to be worth anything. It's still time to be patient and stockpile losses. Collect lotto tickets.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,358

Post#155 » by nate33 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:28 pm

tontoz wrote:

Kuzma ultimately needs to be traded for sure, but I don't see any need to rush. I'm still okay with the current scenario of Kuzma being our high usage 1st option so that our other players play a lower usage role that fits with their skillset. If we ever get a trade offer for Kuzma that is more than just a late 1st, then we take it. But I wouldn't settle for a lousy trade this offseason just to get off of him. I really don't think you will like what you see when Deni and Kispert are our primary options and the focus of the opposition's attention.

As for Poole, I'd trade him to Siberia if possible. But since it's not, I'd just play him off the bench as a microwave scorer. He'll either figure things out and start shooting better (so that maybe he can be moved), or he'll help the tank without hurting Deni and Kispert who will mostly be getting run with the starters. Poole's chucking is unlikely to hurt Coulibaly off the bench much since Coulibaly right now is a defensive role player who can't really handle much offensive usage.
Pistol King
Junior
And1: 457

Post#156 » by Pistol King » Sat Mar 2, 2024 11:40 pm

The Wizards three leading scorers this season are Kuzma, Poole and Avdija (I excluded Bagley who played only 17 games).

Their FG attempts per game are the following:

Kuzma: 18.9 FGA.

Poole: 14.6 FGA.

Deni: 9.8 FGA.

I wonder what do you think about this FGA chart, is it how it should be, considering the current level of skillset of these 3 players?

If not, how do you believe the shooting attempt chart between these three should be?
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#157 » by dckingsfan » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:32 pm

Didn't understand not starting Holmes last night.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,159

Post#158 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:13 am

Pistol King wrote:The Wizards three leading scorers this season are Kuzma, Poole and Avdija (I excluded Bagley who played only 17 games).

Their FG attempts per game are the following:

Kuzma: 18.9 FGA.

Poole: 14.6 FGA.

Deni: 9.8 FGA.

I wonder what do you think about this FGA chart, is it how it should be, considering the current level of skillset of these 3 players?

If not, how do you believe the shooting attempt chart between these three should be?

In no universe should Kuzma be taking twice as many shots as Deni, but this is the Wizards. We are in complete free fall, and we just keep doing the same crap. Keefe seems like he wants to keep his reputation intact with vets as he probably knows he doesn't have a chance at getting the job, so aside from benching Poole, it's essentially just a continuation of WUJ after we got off of our "new mid season coach" sugar high.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#159 » by payitforward » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:32 am

Not sure where this burning news should go, but we have signed RJ Hampton to a 10-day contract. He was the #24 pick in 2020.

It's important to be thorough....
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#160 » by doclinkin » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:48 am

CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:In no universe should Kuzma be taking twice as many shots as Deni, but this is the Wizards.

I said it in the trade thread but inflating Kuzma's trade value is more important than letting Deni get an extra couple shots a game. We don't have anyone on the team to build around, our best bet is draft picks. Kuz will look attractive in the offseason to contenders looking for a 3rd option scorer. Kuz putting up per 36 numbers of 25/7r/5a is going to look good to some front office. He's got a ring and has shown he can play with stars. His loyalty is also a bonus. Team guy if not team player.

If we can trade Kuz for future picks, whomever we get should be worth more than the chance at a closer loss in a losing year. If our scouts are worth anything. Have to look long term. Savor the losses, we've gotten used to the late season empty wins, this new FO is not playing that game.

Return to Washington Wizards