Line-ups, rotation, analysis thread - Part II

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,359

Re: Line-ups, rotation, analysis thread - Part II 

Post#121 » by nate33 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:34 pm

Poole exited the Cleveland game to a chorus of boos. How much longer will he remain a starter when Kispert is playing so well?
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,159

Post#122 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:50 pm

nate33 wrote:Poole exited the Cleveland game to a chorus of boos. How much longer will he remain a starter when Kispert is playing so well?

Keefe post game praising Poole's shot after he went 6-21 (2-14 from 3) in the game versus MIA. He said that they were all quality looks (they weren't, not even close) and that they just didn't go down. Poole has now gone 1-12 over the past 2 games for a grand total of 5 points.

So Keefe has basically been an extension of WUJ. If things don't change after today, it's going to be a long close to the season.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#123 » by penbeast0 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:59 pm

Now that trade deadline closed, I hope they cut Delon so he can sign on with a playoff team like Milwaukee for vet min, bring up Jared Butler and convert his contract as needed, and move Poole to the bench giving Bilal or maybe Kispert a chance to start. Center looks like Bagley which doesn't thrill me; hopefully he keeps giving effort in bigger minutes.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#124 » by gambitx777 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:05 pm

Killian Hayes got cut today. I'd pick him up and sign him to a vet min or slightly above multi year deal with outs instantly. He's 22 has a good assist to turn over numbers is ok on defense but can't shoot worth a damn. Maybe see if he can be fixed.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#125 » by tontoz » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:20 pm

gambitx777 wrote:Killian Hayes got cut today. I'd pick him up and sign him to a vet min or slightly above multi year deal with outs instantly. He's 22 has a good assist to turn over numbers is ok on defense but can't shoot worth a damn. Maybe see if he can be fixed.

No thanks. He sucks
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Lucky Once
Freshman
And1: 39

Post#126 » by Lucky Once » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:24 pm

gambitx777 wrote:Killian Hayes got cut today. I'd pick him up and sign him to a vet min or slightly above multi year deal with outs instantly. He's 22 has a good assist to turn over numbers is ok on defense but can't shoot worth a damn. Maybe see if he can be fixed.

If the team had been able to clear out the logjam at guard today then maybe I'd be on board but I don't see a great opportunity here. The Wizards already have their own reclamation project in Johnny Davis and he can't even get minutes. If Delon gets waived maybe he can fill the roster spot but at this time I'd rather see those minutes going to Butler, Davis, etc.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#127 » by gambitx777 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:08 pm

tontoz wrote:

No thanks. He sucks
I don't think he sucks. I think he has every thing you want except the shooting and ft hi ft was 80 and it's tanked I think someone broke his shot even more trying to fix it. Fixable idk but maybe get the kid Lasik and get him with a good trainer and see he's 22.

tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#128 » by tontoz » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:33 pm

gambitx777 wrote:
tontoz wrote:

No thanks. He sucks
I don't think he sucks. I think he has every thing you want except the shooting and ft hi ft was 80 and it's tanked I think someone broke his shot even more trying to fix it. Fixable idk but maybe get the kid Lasik and get him with a good trainer and see he's 22.

He can't get to the rim and he can't shoot. That is a disasterous combination. This is his 4th season and has shown no improvement.

His career TS is 45.6% which makes Poole look good
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#129 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:38 am

They need to buy out Wright and move Butler into the rotation. Also bench Poole for a while and start Kispert, with either Davis or Shamet backing him up.

I'm good with the forward rotation of Kuzma, Avdija and Coulibaly. But with Kispert moving to SG, we shouldn't have to worry about either Coulibaly or Avdija getting shortchanged minutes. They should each get 30+. Omoruyi can be the 4th forward who gets minutes if there is foul trouble or injury.

Start Bagley at center with Holmes backing him up, I guess. Maybe we will see a little of PBJ.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,159

Post#130 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:11 pm

nate33 wrote:They need to buy out Wright and move Butler into the rotation. Also bench Poole for a while and start Kispert, with either Davis or Shamet backing him up.

I'm good with the forward rotation of Kuzma, Avdija and Coulibaly. But with Kispert moving to SG, we shouldn't have to worry about either Coulibaly or Avdija getting shortchanged minutes. They should each get 30+. Omoruyi can be the 4th forward who gets minutes if there is foul trouble or injury.

Start Bagley at center with Holmes backing him up, I guess. Maybe we will see a little of PBJ.

I just don't see Keefe having the wherewithal to bench Poole, hope I'm wrong.

With that said, I agree, Kispert should start. I hope he tries to work on defense a bit instead of only looking at the rim. I get his best value comes with highly efficient scoring, but you can't be as bad as he's been on defense. He needs to find other ways to impact the game other than scoring, even if they're only modest improvements. Two things I can think of are defense, and I think he can do a better job passing the ball. He get's tunnel vision too much and looks off wide open teammates for harder looks. It could add a valuable wrinkle to his offense that I think is lacking.

Agreed Deni and Bilal getting 30+ a night. Omoruyi is fine as a fourth forward, but I haven't quite bought into the hype of him putting up big numbers in garbage time against 3rd stringers (Chris Miller is love with him, so that alone give me pause whether fair or not) no matter how impressive until we see it against higher caliber players. But, yeah, I'd start giving him about 5-10 minutes a game depending on the situation. If he earns more time, great.

Bagley at this point is obviously the starting C, but I expect people will start to see real quick that he's a pretty poor defender and it will be exacerbated by not having anyone behind him. As for the backup, I don't like the idea of Holmes being the back up given his age, height, and that he's been pretty bad for the last two seasons (talk about a guy that fell off the earth like our old friend Montrezl). I'd give the backup time to Baldwin or do some experimentation with Kuzma and Deni there where appropriate for some small ball lineups. No need to waste giving minutes to Holmes unless completely necessary IMO.
penbeast0
And1: 8,679

Post#131 » by penbeast0 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:44 am

Kuzma says Poole works harder than anyone else on the team. If that's really true and not just hyperbole, it would explain why the coaches are willing to stick with him despite his shooting and defensive woes. He has good shooting in the past and if he's really that hard a worker in practice, they believe he will reassert his best performance.

Butler not called up or converted yet. Sigh.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,163

Post#132 » by AFM » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:50 am

penbeast0 wrote:Kuzma says Poole works harder than anyone else on the team. If that's really true and not just hyperbole, it would explain why the coaches are willing to stick with him despite his shooting and defensive woes. He has good shooting in the past and if he's really that hard a worker in practice, they believe he will reassert his best performance.

I'm not being funny, I really mean this, I wonder if being sucker punched in front of the world shook his confidence or changed him mentally somehow. Like I wonder if he's been to a therapist. It's really not unreasonable. I wouldn't want to be punched like that in front of the entire world. Every one has seen that video.
AFM
General Manager

Post#133 » by AFM » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:51 am

AFM wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:Kuzma says Poole works harder than anyone else on the team. If that's really true and not just hyperbole, it would explain why the coaches are willing to stick with him despite his shooting and defensive woes. He has good shooting in the past and if he's really that hard a worker in practice, they believe he will reassert his best performance.

I'm not being funny, I really mean this, I wonder if being sucker punched in front of the world shook his confidence or changed him mentally somehow. Like I wonder if he's been to a therapist. It's really not unreasonable. I wouldn't want to be punched like that in front of the entire world. Every one has seen that video.

Like, check out this article: https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2024/2/5/24062118/jordan-poole-terrible-wizards-stats-video-draymond-green-punch-warriors

Read on Twitter
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#134 » by nate33 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:25 pm

Read on Twitter
AFM
General Manager

Post#135 » by AFM » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:12 pm

lol fair enough nate. Do you think that's what it is?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#136 » by nate33 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:48 pm

AFM wrote:lol fair enough nate. Do you think that's what it is?

Mostly, I thought that reply was funny. That's all.

If Poole is indeed the hardest working guy in practice, then it sounds like it's not about the money. I don't really think confidence is the issue either. I don't buy this notion that somehow, a sucker punch breaks a man psychologically.

I think Poole probably quit on the Warriors after the sucker punch because of the way they basically circled the wagons around Draymond. And that part I understand. What surprised me is that he was so bad after coming here. The best explanation I have is that Poole really benefitted from Golden State's spacing and read/react offense and he is having a lot of trouble adapting to a more structured offense centered around the high pick-and-roll, and with a big man always clogging the lane.

Gilbert Arenas made an observation that Poole takes forever to "get into his bag". He has a bunch of fancy ball fakes and hesitation dribbles, but he doesn't really have the athleticism to just explode past a guy when he gets a small advantage due to a screen. He really needs the spacing Golden State's system provides. He's not a guy who attacks small seams that are open for just a short duration of time.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,322

Post#137 » by NatP4 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:23 pm

Or Poole is a mediocre player that was propped up by playing with 3 hall of fame players, and now he fits right in with this dumpster fire organization/team.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#138 » by nate33 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:00 pm

NatP4 wrote:Or Poole is a mediocre player that was propped up by playing with 3 hall of fame players, and now he fits right in with this dumpster fire organization/team.

The Poole without Curry numbers over the last 2 years were really good. It wasn't Curry propping him up.

And Klay missed most of Poole's best season 2 years ago, and he wasn't very good last year.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,018

Post#139 » by dckingsfan » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:18 pm

nate33 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:Hire a competent coach in the offseason

I think the rotation decisions made by the coaches have actually been pretty good in all respects except for Jordan Poole. I like the way they stagger Kuzma and Avdija. Coulibaly is getting 27 minutes a game. Kispert is getting a lot of touches when he is out there and his USG% is up from 14.1 last year to 20.1 this year. Gafford got all the minutes he could handle.

I just don't understand how the worst player in the league can continue to start. I get that they were willing to give him 20 games or so to see if he can get his confidence and a good feel for the offensive system, but let's face it, it ain't happening. He is just a bad player. At some point, your willingness to be patient with Poole is undermining the meritocracy you are trying to establish with the rest of the roster.

I really think that was the mistake that WUJ made that eventually lost him the locker room and FO. Let's see how mentally tough Brian Keefe is... fingers and toes crossed.
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 837

Post#140 » by 9 and 20 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:47 pm

When we had no real center for a couple of games with no Gafford and no Bagley, Kuz played some minutes at C I think. Didn't hurt our defense too much because we were trash to begin with. In theory, Kuz can do similar things to Draymond Greene on offense - more than Gaff or Bagley, anyway. Maybe they run with this and see if they can unlock Poole.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?

Return to Washington Wizards