Official Jared Butler Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Official Jared Butler Thread 

Post#1 » by nate33 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:59 pm

Monumental Sports has a nice piece on Jared Butler's recent success with the Wizards. It also references the job Tyus Jones is doing as a mentor:

Butler, still just 23 in his third NBA season on his third team (after stops in Utah and Oklahoma City and their G League counterparts), has seen an uptick in his role in Washington. He played just 12 total minutes in Washington's first 15 games of the regular season. More recently, that number has ballooned to double-digit minutes in each of the Wizards' last four tilts.

Though his scoring numbers don't necessarily pop out – 4.1 points per game off 8.6 minutes on average across the season – he's done well with the time he's been given. He put up 12 points off 71% shooting with four assists vs. Philadelphia on Monday, then followed it up with an eight-point outing with four assists vs. New Orleans on Wednesday.

“He's done a much better job, and just seeing him progress from September when he first came in until where he is now, with us and/or with the Go-Go is just being more of a point guard,” Unseld Jr. said of Butler on Thursday. “Trying to follow that mold that Tyus [Jones] has been a great example for him.”

Tyus Jones' mentorship hasn't gone unnoticed by the team, nor is it the veteran's first time taking a younger teammate under his wing. He did it with Ja Morant in Memphis, helping him blossom into an All-NBA player and All-Star.

His support of Butler has helped the Baylor alum grow his own game and, almost more importantly, limit mistakes. Unseld notes that Butler's most noticeable improvement has been his progression into a quarterback of the offense, “defending at a high level,” and making the right choices with the ball. Offensively, shades of Jones' game are visible in his protege.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Re: Official Jared Butler Thread 

Post#2 » by NatP4 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:34 pm

I know it’s been mostly garbage time minutes, but Butler has been really impressive. I wanna see him in a much larger role after we trade Tyus.

19.2 points 7.7 assists 3.1 rebounds 2.4 steals 63% TS per 36.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#3 » by payitforward » Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:49 am

Me too!

In his last 4 games, Butler has played a total of 40 minutes. He's produced 30 points on 16 shots & 6 FTAs for a TS% of... .80.5% !!!

He's had 9 assists, committed 3 fouls, & had 3 steals plus the same number of turnovers.

That's uh... pretty good! In fact, it's fantastic.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
popper
Veteran
And1: 366

Post#4 » by popper » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:45 am

payitforward wrote:Me too!

In his last 4 games, Butler has played a total of 40 minutes. He's produced 30 points on 16 shots & 6 FTAs for a TS% of... .80.5% !!!

He's had 9 assists, committed 3 fouls, & had 3 steals plus the same number of turnovers.

That's uh... pretty good! In fact, it's fantastic.

Now that he's starting to establish himself as an inexpensive asset to the Wizards, do you or anyone else know if we have retention rights next year or, can he just sign with another team?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#5 » by nate33 » Wed Jan 3, 2024 10:05 pm

Read on Twitter
payitforward
RealGM

Post#6 » by payitforward » Wed Jan 3, 2024 10:10 pm

Definitely the best zero-cost move Will has made so far. One of the best such that any FO has made this season. Sure looks like this kid is a player!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#7 » by NatP4 » Thu Jan 4, 2024 1:47 am

Butler&Sheppard 2024 backcourt.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#8 » by payitforward » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:10 pm

I'm just warming up this thread --

Ok, thread, be ready for some action!
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#9 » by penbeast0 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:02 am

Not on roster for Orlando. Injury or just not showing anything in practice?

I don't guarantee he's an NBA player but his numbers in G League and limited NBA minutes this year make me want to see enough of him to make a decision. But with Poole acting as PG off the bench, he's disappeared again except for the one game Poole missed.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#10 » by nate33 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:05 pm

Read on Twitter

I didn't watch the game, but these highlights are really impressive. Most of those assists weren't just simple kick-out passes. They were high degree of difficulty passes made to a roll man or the weakside corner.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#11 » by DCZards » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:03 pm

nate33 wrote:I didn't watch the game, but these highlights are really impressive. Most of those assists weren't just simple kick-out passes. They were high degree of difficulty passes made to a roll man or the weakside corner.

I particularly liked the last assist to Champagnie for the open 3. It was the kind of wide open shot that the Zards weren’t getting on the previous possessions where Poole was the lead ball handler.

Nothing like having a TRUE point guard running the offense. I like Poole’s recent play but he’s a SG with limited court vision.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#12 » by nate33 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:38 pm

DCZards wrote:
nate33 wrote:I didn't watch the game, but these highlights are really impressive. Most of those assists weren't just simple kick-out passes. They were high degree of difficulty passes made to a roll man or the weakside corner.

I particularly liked the last assist to Champagnie for the open 3. It was the kind of wide open shot that the Zards weren’t getting on the previous possessions where Poole was the lead ball handler.

Nothing like having a TRUE point guard running the offense. I like Poole’s recent play but he’s a SG with limited court vision.

I like the one at the :45 second mark. Butler is pushing the ball up in semi-transition and recognizes that the shorthanded defense has one defender marking both Kispert behind the arc on the wing and Davis in the corner. Butler motions to Kispert, telling him to cut through the lane. Kispert takes the defender with him on the cut leaving Davis wide open at the corner with nobody on him. Butler then makes the simple pass for the wide-open corner three. It wasn't the pass that was impressive, but the understanding of how to create the advantage.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,163

Post#13 » by AFM » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:45 pm

Jared "John Wall Jr" Butler

Return to Washington Wizards