ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread Part XLVI

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Re: Official Trade Thread Part XLVI 

Post#481 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:46 am

Gafford is absolutely killing it with Dallas.

Sent from my SM-A146U using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#482 » by gambitx777 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:40 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Gafford is absolutely killing it with Dallas.

Is he? He's being what he's always been and still only playing about 20 minutes. He's not a starter. But we got a first for him so no matter how good he plays it's worth it.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#483 » by doclinkin » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:07 pm

gambitx777 wrote:
Is he? He's being what he's always been and still only playing about 20 minutes. He's not a starter. But we got a first for him so no matter how good he plays it's worth it.

Kinda depends on what we get for that late 1st. Though from here it at least makes the draft more fun to anticipate. And we were losing with him, whichever year he was here. So basically we traded Gafford for hope.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,358

Post#484 » by nate33 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:23 pm

doclinkin wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:

Kinda depends on what we get for that late 1st. Though from here it at least makes the draft more fun to anticipate. And we were losing with him, whichever year he was here. So basically we traded Gafford for hope.

Exactly. Gafford was not going to be around after his contract was up in 2026. It just wouldn't make sense for a team finishing up their rebuild to spend MLE (or more) money on a 27-year-old center who is decent but not a game-changer. Since Gafford was sure to be gone sooner or later, it was best to trade him while his value was highest. And that time was probably the Trade Deadline this season.

I wish Gafford well and I hope he continues to excel in Dallas, but I don't regret the trade. It made perfect sense. I also don't anticipate Gafford to have some major jump in production in the second half of his career. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if his numbers started declining pretty soon. Athletic rim runners without ball skills do not typically maintain their peak into their 30's. The age and injuries sap their athleticism and they suddenly become mere backups. If you look at similar types of players, they all peak in the mid 20's - guys like Serge Ibaka, DeAndre Jordan, Nerlens Noel, Bismack Biyombo, Clint Capela, Steven Adams, even Dwight Howard. The only exception I can think of is Tyson Chandler.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#485 » by gambitx777 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:31 pm

doclinkin wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:

That goes back to my post a couple months ago. I think is the trade good or bad and did the trade work out for the teams are two different conversations. Because a trades value can be good but it doesn't work out for the team for any number of dumb reasons or a trade could be poor value but work out way better than expected.

Jay81
Starter
And1: 480

Post#486 » by Jay81 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:44 pm

gambitx777 wrote:
doclinkin wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:Is he? He's being what he's always been and still only playing about 20 minutes. He's not a starter. But we got a first for him so no matter how good he plays it's worth it.

That goes back to my post a couple months ago. I think is the trade good or bad and did the trade work out for the teams are two different conversations. Because a trades value can be good but it doesn't work out for the team for any number of dumb reasons or a trade could be poor value but work out way better than expected.

how much will Sacramento give us for Kuzma now after last night lol. Btw...realgm is becoming unsable. I click on a link to reply and it takes to me a Ford Truck commercial webpage
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#487 » by gambitx777 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:47 am

Jay81 wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

how much will Sacramento give us for Kuzma now after last night lol. Btw...realgm is becoming unsable. I click on a link to reply and it takes to me a Ford Truck commercial webpage
Hmmmm that's weird I've never seen an add.

PaulinVA
Sophomore
And1: 89

Post#488 » by PaulinVA » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:30 pm

Jay81 wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

I was about to type "Yeah, I've had that happen to me frequently, too," but before I could, it took me to a Hulu page, LOL.

Also, I'd do anything to lose that awful popup video that constantly appears in the lower right corner. It's very aggravating. I do not need to see ad hoc video of various basketball games.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,448

Post#489 » by mhd » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:34 pm

Interesting trade idea was proposed on the trade board:

Vuc + future Portland 1st (lotto protected until 2028) for Holmes (expiring)+2025 Suns 2nd. We probably would have to add Johnny Davis to the deal for salaries to work. I'd do the deal simply to add a potential future 1st (it turns into a 2028 Portland 2nd if it doesn't convey). We could then trade Vuc down the road for other assets if need be.

Have no idea why Chicago would do the deal since they are what we were (team treadmill).
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#490 » by Rafael122 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 pm

Who says no?

Poole to Orlando for Isaac, Ingles and Denver's '25 FRP top 5 protected. Isaac's salary for next season is not guaranteed, Ingles has a club option that won't be picked up so essentially it's Poole for a first round pick. Orlando desperately needs someone with some scoring punch to balance out their defense, and they could either go out and sign a guy like Klay to a massive deal or take the chance on Poole and hope he blends in.

Washington gets out of Poole's salary and would be operating as a team with cap space once they remove cap holds.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,018

Post#491 » by dckingsfan » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Who says no?

Poole to Orlando for Isaac, Ingles and Denver's '25 FRP top 5 protected. Isaac's salary for next season is not guaranteed, Ingles has a club option that won't be picked up so essentially it's Poole for a first round pick. Orlando desperately needs someone with some scoring punch to balance out their defense, and they could either go out and sign a guy like Klay to a massive deal or take the chance on Poole and hope he blends in.

Washington gets out of Poole's salary and would be operating as a team with cap space once they remove cap holds.

Can you put this on the Orlando board to see how it is received?
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#492 » by pcbothwel » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 pm

1) Per36 of 24 & 6, with a TS of 59% over his last 17 games is neutral value for his contract with his defense/low IQ play
2) No way does ORL, or anyone, give up a 1st and not move negative salary for Poole.
3) The teams that have the contracts that could work with Poole (Utah - Collins; Nets - Simmons), already have better/cheaper options to Poole in Sexton/Clarkson & Cam Thomas.

Honestly, its a bleak outlook for moving him in the near future. Hopefully, by the next deadline there will be enough shuffling of players and new/FA contracts to open up more opportunities.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#493 » by penbeast0 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 pm

dckingsfan wrote:

Can you put this on the Orlando board to see how it is received?

If you do, be prepared to take abuse. Poole has looked better since the move to PG but his season stats still scream suck.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#494 » by Rafael122 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:09 pm

Orlando fans hate it lol. Poole's reputation is so bad even though he's been killing it the last month. I think the gripe is getting rid of Isaac. I mean advanced metrics suggest he's a key guy but his contract structure is the way it is b/c he can barely stay on the court. When he does play, he's a difference maker.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#495 » by payitforward » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:59 pm

gambitx777 wrote:

Is he? He's being what he's always been and still only playing about 20 minutes. He's not a starter. But we got a first for him so no matter how good he plays it's worth it. ...

Oh please, gamby....

CCJ is completely correct. Gafford is playing his axx off in Dallas. He is:

1. Scoring 25% more points than his career average.
2. grabbing 25% more rebounds than his career average.
3. getting 35% more assists than his career average.
4. better overall on the rest of the stuff too.

OTOH, I'd still have traded him, given that we are rebuilding. But, CCJ didn't suggest that we shouldn't have traded him -- all he did was point out how well Gaff is playing. Good for him, too!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gesa2
Rookie
And1: 251

Post#496 » by gesa2 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:23 pm

It’s great to see Gafford doing well in Dallas. He was great here, always seemed to take ownership of his own play, was coachable and played hard. I’ll root a little more for Dallas because he’s there. And I’m excited about a pick in the 20s this year too
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,018

Post#497 » by dckingsfan » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:14 pm

gesa2 wrote:It’s great to see Gafford doing well in Dallas. He was great here, always seemed to take ownership of his own play, was coachable and played hard. I’ll root a little more for Dallas because he’s there. And I’m excited about a pick in the 20s this year tok

And the trade could be a reason that Dallas passes the Clippers. Just saying...
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 837

Post#498 » by 9 and 20 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:53 pm

I'm OK-ish with having traded Gaff, but a pick at the very end of the first round is disappointing. Maybe it's my Wiz sadness kicking in, but we finally have a decent player and trade him for crumbs. Same thing with the Beal trade, lack of Tyus Jones trade, and the list can stretch back years from there - in a vacuum, I get it, but the result over time has been basically the worst franchise in the league. Then I look at what we can most likely expect from a draft pick in that 24-28 range, and sadness spikes again (I just looked at the 2022 draft results, noticed Johnny Davis and Yannick Nzosa, and I'm not ashamed to admit I cried a little on the inside).

Gaff was fun to watch, at least.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#499 » by payitforward » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:01 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
gesa2 wrote:It’s great to see Gafford doing well in Dallas. He was great here, always seemed to take ownership of his own play, was coachable and played hard. I’ll root a little more for Dallas because he’s there. And I’m excited about a pick in the 20s this year tok

And the trade could be a reason that Dallas passes the Clippers. Just saying...

Oh well... :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#500 » by DCZards » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:46 am

I like what we had in Gaff. He was having his best season as a Zard. But I prefer having the first round pick, along with the solid play we’ve been getting from Bagley/Holmes.

The FRP could be a bust or a stud…or something in between. I like having the opportunity to find out.

Return to Washington Wizards