Post#1 » by nate33 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:17 pm

Continued from here
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,358

Re: Official Trade Thread Part XLVI 

Post#2 » by nate33 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:19 pm

Rafael122 wrote:So Siakam's deal is 2 first round picks this year, plus a future first. Doubt Toppin, Smith, Brown are long term fits in Toronto, but Kuzma is on a team friendly contract so at this point 3 FRP's are the floor IMO.

I'd look to a team like OKC, who could probably use a guy like Kuzma. They currently own the 12th, 14th, and 24th pick in the draft. Something like Kuzma for Bertans/Poku plus picks works.

I think three firsts is excessive.

Siakam is better than Kuzma. Yeah, his contract is worse, but teams will pay a premium for a guy who is a legit #2 guy on a contender versus Kuzma who might be conceivably capable of being a #3 on a contender.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#3 » by payitforward » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:59 pm

That is a haul for Siakam!
Once again Masai shows how good he is at his job!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 959

Post#4 » by tleikheen » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:13 pm

Siakam is better than Kuzma. Yeah, his contract is worse, but teams will pay a premium for a guy who is a legit #2 guy on a contender versus Kuzma who might be conceivably capable of being a #3 on a contender.

You dont avg 22 pts in the NBA and maybe be a #3 on a contender . Right now by their play this year Siakam is not 12 million dollars better than Kuzma. On a losing team Siakam is avging 22 pts/ 6rebs ,4+ assists ,on a losing team Kuzma is avging 22 pts, rebs and 4+ assists. Kuzma will be coveted on a team like the Kings or Mavs and probably play just as well as Siakam does with Indiana BUT at 12 million $$'s less.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#5 » by nate33 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:39 pm

tleikheen wrote:

You dont avg 22 pts in the NBA and maybe be a #3 on a contender .

You aren't even in the starting lineup of a contender if you post a TS% of .546 (4% below league average). Honestly, Kuzma hasn't actually proven he is anything better than a 5th starter on a good team. In this comparison with Siakam I'm charitably assuming Kuzma can post a significantly improved TS% in the 58%-60% range if his usage rate comes down to 3rd option territory; but that hasn't even been proven yet. All Kuzma has proven so far is that he absolutely cannot shoulder the load of a #1 option while maintaining acceptable efficiency.

tleikheen wrote:Right now by their play this year Siakam is not 12 million dollars better than Kuzma. On a losing team Siakam is avging 22 pts/ 6rebs ,4+ assists ,on a losing team Kuzma is avging 22 pts, rebs and 4+ assists. Kuzma will be coveted on a team like the Kings or Mavs and probably play just as well as Siakam does with Indiana BUT at 12 million $$'s less.

Efficiency matters... a lot.

Siakam is posting a TS% of .600 to Kuzma's .546. And Siakam is averaging just 2.2 turnovers per 36 to Kuzma's 3.1. That difference in efficiency is easily worth the $12M.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#6 » by Frichuela » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:45 pm

tleikheen wrote:

You dont avg 22 pts in the NBA and maybe be a #3 on a contender . Right now by their play this year Siakam is not 12 million dollars better than Kuzma. On a losing team Siakam is avging 22 pts/ 6rebs ,4+ assists ,on a losing team Kuzma is avging 22 pts, rebs and 4+ assists. Kuzma will be coveted on a team like the Kings or Mavs and probably play just as well as Siakam does with Indiana BUT at 12 million $$'s less.

And less draft compensation to boot!

Now that Siakam is gone from the trade market, I think this 3-way trade between WAS, SAC and CHI is a possibility:

WAS gets Pat Williams +the dead money of Ball+SAC 2026 1st (unprotected)+POR 2024 1st (via Chicago)
SAC gets Kuzma
CHI gets Barnes+Huerter+one of our many 2nds

The Pat Williams interest is based on rumors a few weeks ago that the Wizards were interested in him. His stats look good (great 3PT %, steals and blocks) bar subpar rebounding. He may be primed for a jump (only 22 years old).

A line-up of PG-Bilal-Pat Williams+Deni+C would have a lot of length and defensive potential (above average weak side shot blocking and steals).
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#7 » by gambitx777 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:55 pm

nate33 wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:So Siakam's deal is 2 first round picks this year, plus a future first. Doubt Toppin, Smith, Brown are long term fits in Toronto, but Kuzma is on a team friendly contract so at this point 3 FRP's are the floor IMO.

I'd look to a team like OKC, who could probably use a guy like Kuzma. They currently own the 12th, 14th, and 24th pick in the draft. Something like Kuzma for Bertans/Poku plus picks works.

I think three firsts is excessive.

A lot to give up. Poor Bruce lol

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#8 » by nate33 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:16 pm

Frichuela wrote:
tleikheen wrote:

And less draft compensation to boot!

Now that Siakam is gone from the trade market, I think this 3-way trade between WAS, SAC and CHI is a possibility:

WAS gets Pat Williams +the dead money of Ball+SAC 2026 1st (unprotected)+POR 2024 1st (via Chicago)
SAC gets Kuzma
CHI gets Barnes+Huerter+one of our many 2nds

The Pat Williams interest is based on rumors a few weeks ago that the Wizards were interested in him. His stats look good (great 3PT %, steals and blocks) bar subpar rebounding. He may be primed for a jump (only 22 years old).

A line-up of PG-Bilal-Pat Williams+Deni+C would have a lot of length and defensive potential (above average weak side shot blocking and steals).

I definitely like the idea of absorbing Ball's salary in exchange for compensation.

I'm not to thrilled about the Pat Williams idea though. He's a solid player, but I think he is redundant with Bilal and we don't really have a lot of room on the roster for yet another defensive role player at forward. I'd rather convert him into pick capital if at all possible.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#9 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:20 am

Oh yeah, yet another trade thread! Woo-hoo!!!

:rockon:
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#10 » by nate33 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:13 pm

Rumors are that Phoenix really needs a PG (which is obviously true), but they don't have any picks to trade for Tyus.

What about something involving Grayson Allen? Grayson is having a great year. I wonder if a 3-way is workable where Tyus goes to Phoenix, Grayson goes to a 3rd team, and the 3rd team sends us a late FRP and filler.

One possibility is Philadelphia. They would send us Marcus Morris and the 2026 FRP (worst of OKC, HOU, LAC). It actually works better if we absorb another small contract (Mo Bamba?) into a TPE and get them out of the luxtax. We would ask for their 2024 SRP (via TOR) and maybe a future SRP.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by Frichuela » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:58 pm

nate33 wrote:Rumors are that Phoenix really needs a PG (which is obviously true), but they don't have any picks to trade for Tyus.

What about something involving Grayson Allen? Grayson is having a great year. I wonder if a 3-way is workable where Tyus goes to Phoenix, Grayson goes to a 3rd team, and the 3rd team sends us a late FRP and filler.

One possibility is Philadelphia. They would send us Marcus Morris and the 2026 FRP (worst of OKC, HOU, LAC). It actually works better if we absorb another small contract (Mo Bamba?) into a TPE and get them out of the luxtax. We would ask for their 2024 SRP (via TOR) and maybe a future SRP.

Yep, good idea, or it just could be us dealing directly with Philly and cutting Phoenix out of it. Tyus for Morris + 2026 1st also works.
gesa2
Rookie
And1: 251

Post#12 » by gesa2 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:18 am

Not a trade but we should pick up Christian Koloko off of waivers unless whatever illness he has is career threatening
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,159

Post#13 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:40 am

Frichuela wrote:
nate33 wrote:Rumors are that Phoenix really needs a PG (which is obviously true), but they don't have any picks to trade for Tyus.

Yep, good idea, or it just could be us dealing directly with Philly and cutting Phoenix out of it. Tyus for Morris + 2026 1st also works.

Yeah but Philly isn't really in dire need of a point guard with Maxey getting most the minutes there. Bev has been able to junk it up when on decent splits for him. You don't want to be forced to move Maxey to the two-guard to play Tyus. The defense would suffer big time.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#14 » by doclinkin » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:53 am

gesa2 wrote:Not a trade but we should pick up Christian Koloko off of waivers unless whatever illness he has is career threatening

I liked him coming out of college, but he has to pass the NBA's protocols in order to be allowed to play as apparently he has a rare blot clot issue.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,190

Post#15 » by cedric76 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:24 am

Tyus ' price is a Frp?
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#16 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:52 pm

cedric76 wrote:Tyus ' price is a Frp?

Yes. That's what all the rumors say.

He is worth it production-wise. He is a very good player. The problem is, most of the teams that really need another PG don't have FRP's to trade (Phoenix, Minnesota) or they are likely to be way under the cap next summer so they won't really value Bird Rights on Tyus (Orlando, San Antonio, Philadelphia).

Ultimately, if the Wizards don't get a FRP in return, I don't think they'll settle for SRP's. I think they'll just keep him and try and resign him.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by Frichuela » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:44 pm

Interesting to hear MEM and SAS could be in the mix for Kuzma...

Read on Twitter
?s=20
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#18 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:55 pm

Frichuela wrote:Interesting to hear MEM and SAS could be in the mix for Kuzma...

Read on Twitter
?s=20

A Golden State trade would have to involve Wiggins and I think that's a real bad idea. Wiggins has always had motivation issues. Kerr managed to get a couple of good years out of him, and one strong playoff run, but that was because they were a contending team with a strong locker room. I think Wiggins in DC would be a disaster. He is also a half-year older than Kuzma with double the career minutes played, and is owed $20M more over the next 3.5 years.

Golden State doesn't have the pick capital to make up for the value disparity between Kuzma and Wiggins.

Kuzma to MEM or SAS would be interesting. Both teams have plenty of pick capital. San Antonio would want him for the same reason we do - you gotta pay someone, so why not a good locker room guy who can soak up usage? Memphis makes even more sense because they have such trouble scoring. Kuzma for Aldama, filler and a first would interest me.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#19 » by pcbothwel » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:04 pm

Frichuela wrote:Interesting to hear MEM and SAS could be in the mix for Kuzma...

Read on Twitter
?s=20

I've mentioned this before, but Kuz is an interesting candidate because he is the only player on the market that is locked up long term for less than the Max.
That means, any team trading for him does not have the pressure to compete this year, and he doesnt prevent said team from signing Max players down the line.
People can compare stats/On-Off/etc., but to me, that is the thing that sets the market for him.

From SAS, I would ask for McDermott, Cissoko, CHA 1st (Which is really there 2025 & 26 2nd), and the latest 2025 1st (Hawks/Bulls/SAS).
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,906

Post#20 » by TGW » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:17 pm

Would removing the protections on the 2030 pick enough comp to move Kuzma for Wiggins? Maybe they can move Wiggins to a third team.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.

Return to Washington Wizards