ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread Part XLVI

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,927

Re: Official Trade Thread Part XLVI 

Post#501 » by tontoz » Mon Apr 1, 2024 8:49 pm

Nice to see Gafford doing well in games that matter. They have been killing it with him as a starter. Props to him :clap:
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,910

Post#502 » by TGW » Thu Apr 4, 2024 3:22 pm

They need to get rid of Kuzma. That is all. I'm tired of his brand of baseketball.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,362

Post#503 » by nate33 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 1:34 pm

TGW wrote:They need to get rid of Kuzma. That is all. I'm tired of his brand of baseketball.

I think they will start shopping him soon. They're not going to make a bad trade, but they will listen to offers. I don't know if he gets traded this summer, but my guess is that he is gone by the Trade Deadline.

Another possibility is that they sit down with Kuzma and convince him to dial back the usage and go back to being a useful role player who defends and rebounds.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#504 » by pcbothwel » Fri Apr 5, 2024 2:12 pm

nate33 wrote:
TGW wrote:They need to get rid of Kuzma. That is all. I'm tired of his brand of baseketball.

I think they will start shopping him soon. They're not going to make a bad trade, but they will listen to offers. I don't know if he gets traded this summer, but my guess is that he is gone by the Trade Deadline.

Another possibility is that they sit down with Kuzma and convince him to dial back the usage and go back to being a useful role player who defends and rebounds.

Not happening Nate. Kuz would certainly do that if he was on a contender, but not a bottom 5 team. I love how Kuz has rubbed off on Deni in regard to confidence and physicality, and I hope he does the same with Bilal for the time being. But I hope we land Holmes, Almansa, or CMB and move Kuz sooner than later.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,938

Post#505 » by Frichuela » Fri Apr 5, 2024 2:27 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Not happening Nate. Kuz would certainly do that if he was on a contender, but not a bottom 5 team. I love how Kuz has rubbed off on Deni in regard to confidence and physicality, and I hope he does the same with Bilal for the time being. But I hope we land Holmes, Almansa, or CMB and move Kuz sooner than later.

Agreed. I truly hope he gets traded in the offseason.

My preferred trade would be Memphis for a package of Aldama+fodder (Kennard)+2025 MEM 1st (say top 5 protected).
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,376

Post#506 » by doclinkin » Fri Apr 5, 2024 3:50 pm

nate33 wrote:

I think he gets traded on a draft night deal. A contender who made a run at the cup and fell short may devalue draft picks. That team may value a young vet who fills the stat sheet, even inefficiently, and who has a ring by playing defense as a 3rd option guy (at best). I don't see who needs a switch 3/4 most, but that may become more clear in the playoffs.

Zero chance however that Kuz dials it back, since he is using this year to audition for his next job. Counting stats still look good to Joe Ticketbuyer, or Jimmy FanDuel. A replay reel of Kuz' greatest hits has enough high points to sell him for a decent return. This year's bottoming out with Kuz as leader means more to us than it does to the rest of the league, who just shrug it off with the explanation that it's the Wizards and we never win. Gafford and Hachimura looking good on their next teams gives cover for teams to take a risk that the box score numbers will translate in a new situation. A FO that needs to look like it is doing something to salvage a window of contention will risk a few future draft picks that will come to fruition either after they have won, or after they are fired.
popper
Veteran
And1: 366

Post#507 » by popper » Sat Apr 6, 2024 12:08 am

In retrospect, I guess we should have traded Jones for a second rounder.
popper
Veteran
And1: 366

Post#508 » by popper » Sat Apr 6, 2024 12:55 am

Double post
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 901

Post#509 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Apr 6, 2024 2:18 pm

doclinkin wrote:
nate33 wrote:

I think he gets traded on a draft night deal. A contender who made a run at the cup and fell short may devalue draft picks. That team may value a young vet who fills the stat sheet, even inefficiently, and who has a ring by playing defense as a 3rd option guy (at best). I don't see who needs a switch 3/4 most, but that may become more clear in the playoffs.

Zero chance however that Kuz dials it back, since he is using this year to audition for his next job. Counting stats still look good to Joe Ticketbuyer, or Jimmy FanDuel. A replay reel of Kuz' greatest hits has enough high points to sell him for a decent return. This year's bottoming out with Kuz as leader means more to us than it does to the rest of the league, who just shrug it off with the explanation that it's the Wizards and we never win. Gafford and Hachimura looking good on their next teams gives cover for teams to take a risk that the box score numbers will translate in a new situation. A FO that needs to look like it is doing something to salvage a window of contention will risk a few future draft picks that will come to fruition either after they have won, or after they are fired.

Maybe something like Milwaukee for Portis + 1st round pick (26)? I like Portis as a high effort player/mentor if we draft a PF like Sarr or Salaun , less money & years from Kuzma, and add that 1st rounder. Lots of players I like in that area Holmes, Hall, Anjica, Dunn...
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 901

Post#510 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Apr 6, 2024 2:30 pm

What about something with ATL? I remember talk of them being interested in Kuzma... They have 2 first round picks, maybe something like Kuzma for Hunter & their later pick at 20?

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/8770715

ATL gets more of an offensive focal point, star type player, Washington gets a more team oriented player, could be a good fit with Deni.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,735

Post#511 » by gambitx777 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 9:06 am

popper wrote:In retrospect, I guess we should have traded Jones for a second rounder.
Hide aight is always 2020. You really want to avoid being so bad moral is gone we are almost there but you can't just trade everyone under value the players don't respect that.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
QMemphis
Junior
And1: 182

Post#512 » by QMemphis » Sun Apr 7, 2024 11:58 pm

Frichuela wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:
nate33 wrote:I think they will start shopping him soon. They're not going to make a bad trade, but they will listen to offers. I don't know if he gets traded this summer, but my guess is that he is gone by the Trade Deadline.

My preferred trade would be Memphis for a package of Aldama+fodder (Kennard)+2025 MEM 1st (say top 5 protected).

My hope is to get Deni as I have said previously on you guys page. He complements our Big 3 and that descending contract is gold for us. Your offer is solid but Luke is a shooter I believe we will keep but has potential if we go that route this offseason.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#513 » by nate33 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 12:02 am

QMemphis wrote:
Frichuela wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:

My hope is to get Deni as I have said previously on you guys page. He complements our Big 3 and that descending contract is gold for us. Your offer is solid but Luke is a shooter I believe we will keep but has potential if we go that route this offseason.

You're not getting Deni. It's just not happening.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#514 » by penbeast0 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:32 am

QMemphis wrote:

Kuzma has the same type of descending contract and is much more available. There are offers that would get Deni but you would have to pay star value for him and most fans of other teams balk at that. Kuzma you could get for contracts and a couple of mediocre 1sts most likely.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#515 » by nate33 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:35 am

penbeast0 wrote:
QMemphis wrote:

Kuzma has the same type of descending contract and is much more available. There are offers that would get Deni but you would have to pay star value for him and most fans of other teams balk at that. Kuzma you could get for contracts and a couple of mediocre 1sts most likely.

There are no offers that will get Deni because nobody will offer what we think he is worth. The guy is a 23-year-old 2-way player who has averaged 19-9-4 for half a season now. Who is going to trade us a young star with equivalent value? And if not a young star, who is going to trade us multiple HIGH picks that he is worth? I'm not interested in some crappy package from OKC where we get 2 or 3 distant future picks in the 20's.
QMemphis
Junior

Post#516 » by QMemphis » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:38 am

penbeast0 wrote:
QMemphis wrote:

Yeah I would trade our lottery pick and additional draft capital plus salary for Deni
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#517 » by nate33 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:42 am

QMemphis wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:
QMemphis wrote:

Yeah I would trade our lottery pick and additional draft capital plus salary for Deni

Deni is better than every prospect in this draft. If Deni could magically re-enter the draft this year, I would take him at #1 without thinking twice.

Deni just went for 32 points, 10 boards, 5 assists, 3 blocks and 2 steals, by the way.
QMemphis
Junior

Post#518 » by QMemphis » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:51 am

nate33 wrote:
QMemphis wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:

Deni is better than every prospect in this draft. If Deni could magically re-enter the draft this year, I would take him at #1 without thinking twice.

Deni just went for 32 points, 10 boards, 5 assists, 3 blocks and 2 steals, by the way.

Oh I know I was tracking the game. Ziaire Williams, John Konchar, Yuta Wannabe, 2024 pick (currently 7th), 2030 (Pick Swap 2nd most favorable Suns/Wizards), 4 2nds, for Deni
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#519 » by nate33 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:31 am

QMemphis wrote:
nate33 wrote:
QMemphis wrote:

Oh I know I was tracking the game. Ziaire Williams, John Konchar, Yuta Wannabe, 2024 pick (currently 7th), 2030 (Pick Swap 2nd most favorable Suns/Wizards), 4 2nds, for Deni

Not even remotely interesting. Sorry.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#520 » by willbcocks » Mon Apr 8, 2024 9:45 am

I do think Deni's stage of development and contract make for an interesting conversation. His value derives from three things:

1. He will produce at a high level for years into the future
2. He produces at a high level now
3. He is locked into extremely affordable contract for a number of years.

As a team in the early stages of a rebuild, number one is great for us, number two helps sets the culture but doesn't add that much value to us, and number three doesn't add value to us. In sum, a lot of his value is wasted on our team. A team that is competing now would get a lot more value out of him. He would be particularly value to a team that needs to compete now and in the future but is hamstrung by high salaries to other players.

Would a team like OKC give a huge package to get him? They'd have him and J Williams locked into bargain contracts, Shai at a great contract, probably allowing them to pay chet and still not be totally strapped moving forward.

If they were, I would consider moving him.

Return to Washington Wizards