ImageImageImageImageImage

Marvin Bagley thread: Redemption in the DMV?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

WashWiz54
Veteran
And1: 434

Re: Marvin Bagley thread: Redemption in the DMV? 

Post#21 » by WashWiz54 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:21 am

I never thought Marvin Bagley's redemption story would end up on my bingo card for reasons why I still tune in to Wizard games, but here we are and I'm not complaining.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,448

Post#22 » by mhd » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:13 pm

He actually is worth watching out there! He looks talented. Excellent trade from us.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,358

Post#23 » by nate33 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:15 pm

The rebounding has been amazing. His TRB% as a Wizards is 20.4%. That would rank 6th overall in the league in rebound rate behind only: Nurkic, Capela, Gobert, Duren and Zubac. If this holds up (and I doubt it will), it could be a game changer.

For comparison, Gafford ranks 28th in TRB% at just 15.3%. Avdija is 54th at 12.0%. Kuzma is 61st at 11.2%. Our guards are all awful rebounders, ranking worse than 180th at 5.5% or lower.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#24 » by nate33 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:10 pm

Need to keep things in perspective. What Bagley is doing is unprecedented for him. It will likely regress to the mean at some point.

Read on Twitter
GoneShammGone
Junior
And1: 168

Post#25 » by GoneShammGone » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:24 pm

I wonder if there is some maturation going on here. I seem to recall that he had problems in Sacto due to complaints about playing time and friction with teammates. His father was also outspoken and poured fuel on the fire.

https://balldurham.com/2021/01/05/father-duke-basketball-standout-makes-startling-demand/

Maybe now that he has been humbled a bit, and is two teams removed from all the drama of being the #2 pick, he is figuring out how to be a professional.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#26 » by DCZards » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:40 pm

It’s Bagley’s board work that I’ve been the most impressed with. He’s not the athlete or high flyer that Gaff is but he’s much better than Gaff at “positioning” himself to grab rebounds.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#27 » by nate33 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:40 pm

GoneShammGone wrote:I wonder if there is some maturation going on here. I seem to recall that he had problems in Sacto due to complaints about playing time and friction with teammates. His father was also outspoken and poured fuel on the fire.

https://balldurham.com/2021/01/05/father-duke-basketball-standout-makes-startling-demand/

Maybe now that he has been humbled a bit, and is two teams removed from all the drama of being the #2 pick, he is figuring out how to be a professional.

Yeah, it's possible. Sometimes players, especially high draft picks, turn things around once they hit a level of maturity and are humbled a bit by the league.

Bagley (#2 pick) is 24.
Wiggins (#1 pick) turned things around at age 25.
Aaron Gordon (#4 pick) turned things around at age 25.
Colin Sexton (#8 pick) made a huge leap at age 24.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#28 » by tontoz » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:42 pm

I think to a degree he was a victim of his draft position. If he was drafted at 20 instead of 2 (right before Luka) I think he would be viewed differently.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#29 » by dobrojim » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:00 pm

still arguably early but right now it seems clear who won the trade.

Bravo front office
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#30 » by WallToWall » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:39 pm

I do think there is a level of maturation that has taken place. Did anyone catch his after-game interview? He seemed introspective and thoughtful in his answers.
I hope what we are seeing now is his new baseline. A 15pt 10rbs player is a good addition, especially one who rebounds a lot on the offensive side, as we have tons of opportunities for 2nd chance points.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,906

Post#31 » by TGW » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:01 pm

I saw a few posters that were upset that he tried to dunk that fastbreak attempt over Gobert instead of passing it. I had no problem with it. He was being aggressive and he had a pretty clear path to the basket. I also don't think he saw the traliers behind him.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#32 » by WallToWall » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:55 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=6CVL2FqokLq9crFyKe2QSg

Bags has had a huge involvement in this statistic.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#33 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:19 pm

WallToWall wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=6CVL2FqokLq9crFyKe2QSg

Bags has had a huge involvement in this statistic.

Yeah. Not only has Bagley been pretty darn good in this respect, but he has replaced the backup center duo of Gallinari and Muscala, easily the worst rebounding "centers" in the league among those getting regular minutes.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#34 » by dobrojim » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:16 pm

Yeah, but CM is still a hopeless/clueless shill. He's an NBA playxplay guy who doesn't know
the difference between a corner 3 and a 3 at the break (It appears he thinks any 3 taken from
along the sideline is a 'corner' 3 and he doesn't appear to know the meaning of 'extendced'
when he refers to shots in the FT circle as FT line "extended'. Hey Chris! See that line in the circle?
That's the line, not the 'extended line'.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
tontoz
RealGM

Post#35 » by tontoz » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:29 pm

dobrojim wrote:Yeah, but CM is still a hopeless/clueless shill. He's an NBA playxplay guy who doesn't know
the difference between a corner 3 and a 3 at the break (It appears he thinks any 3 taken from
along the sideline is a 'corner' 3 and he doesn't appear to know the meaning of 'extendced'
when he refers to shots in the FT circle as FT line "extended'. Hey Chris! See that line in the circle?

I will go out on a limb and guess you don't have League Pass. :lol:

Our announcers are pretty good in comparison. Some of these other announcers can be so lifeless/negative and crying about the refs all the time. Our guys stay pretty positive and upbeat in spite of covering a crap team.

One announcer for the Hornets likes to make up his own words and repeat them constantly which is just bizarre.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#36 » by DCZards » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:50 pm

tontoz wrote:
dobrojim wrote:Yeah, but CM is still a hopeless/clueless shill. He's an NBA playxplay guy who doesn't know

I will go out on a limb and guess you don't have League Pass. :lol:

Our announcers are pretty good in comparison. Some of these other announcers can be so lifeless/negative and crying about the refs all the time. Our guys stay pretty positive and upbeat in spite of covering a crap team.

One announcer for the Hornets likes to make up his own words and repeat them constantly which is just bizarre.

We beat up on the Zards announcing team of Miller and Gooden but, you’re right, those of us with League Pass know that they are far from the worse broadcasting team.

I’m often amazed at the homerism and extreme partiality of some teams’ broadcasters.
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 884

Post#37 » by badinage » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:29 pm

What I find grating:

Calling our power forward “Cal Kuzma.” Game after game of this. “Cal Kuzma with the 3!”

And it’s both of them. Chris Miller and Drew Gooden both.

The other grating thing:

They both say “Bih-LAAAL,” as opposed to “Bih-LAHL.”

I get it. Southerners.

But still: grating.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,018

Post#38 » by dckingsfan » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:38 pm

Liking that we now have a predictable C rotation of Gafford/Bagley.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#39 » by tontoz » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:18 pm

badinage wrote:What I find grating:

Calling our power forward “Cal Kuzma.” Game after game of this. “Cal Kuzma with the 3!”

And it’s both of them. Chris Miller and Drew Gooden both.

The other grating thing:

They both say “Bih-LAAAL,” as opposed to “Bih-LAHL.”

I get it. Southerners.

But still: grating.

I'll take that over..

"Humdidleydee"

I am not making that up.

https://youtube.com/shorts/epRWwZ2wm6s?si=VpyAbExfkz6LD1fb
RinseRepeat
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#40 » by RinseRepeat » Sat Feb 3, 2024 8:27 am

there are so many kids that get drafted into difficult situations with coaches that don't prioritize their development or fail to put them in positions to succeed and let them pass/fail playing them to their strengths. He had injuries that made things more difficult but like us with Davis, the Kings and Pistons could have done a much better job. The whole draft position and Luka thing didn't help either I'm sure.

I think we could get the same amount of production out of him as we do Kuzma but he's much cheaper and we would be building up his trade value at the same time. Hopefully if/when Kuzma gets moved that's what happens. Maybe with a longer leash, given more trust and usage, over time his confidence rises and his three ball becoming respectable.

Return to Washington Wizards