ImageImageImageImageImage

Shams: Wes Unseld Jr. is out as Wizards Head Coach, will move to Front Office role. Brian Keefe named Interim HC…

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,223

Shams: Wes Unseld Jr. is out as Wizards Head Coach, will move to Front Office role. Brian Keefe named Interim HC… 

Post#1 » by MikeTheKid » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:10 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Endless Loop
Sophomore
And1: 175

Re: Shams: Wes Unseld Jr. is out as Wizards Head Coach, will move to Front Office role… 

Post#2 » by Endless Loop » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:16 pm

Now THAT's a shocker!
Tyrone Messby
Bench Warmer
And1: 417

Re: Shams: Wes Unseld Jr. is out as Wizards Head Coach, will move to Front Office role… 

Post#3 » by Tyrone Messby » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:26 pm

Don’t really understand this. Yes he’s a terrible coach with terrible line ups, but he is our tank commander along with Poole! :lol: Fire him in the offseason.
Wizraeli
Sophomore
And1: 155

Post#4 » by Wizraeli » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:33 pm

Wait, so does that mean they were trying to win all of this time?
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#5 » by Rafael122 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:57 pm

Tyrone Messby wrote:Don’t really understand this. Yes he’s a terrible coach with terrible line ups, but he is our tank commander along with Poole! :lol: Fire him in the offseason.

I think they expected to be bad, but not this bad, and the human element, i.e. players not listening to him anymore probably plays a role in this.

I have full confidence Dawkins and Winger will get their coach. They seem to have a pulse in the league that Shep and Grunfeld didn't have.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#6 » by tontoz » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:59 pm

:jawdrop:
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,448

Post#7 » by mhd » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:06 pm

Any other coach with any other last name would have been fired long ago. He was terrible as a coach. Never showed any emotion. I don't want him doing any decisions in the FO. It is more likely that this was done so he could save face, but he's getting a glorified position in the FO with no actual power.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,358

Post#8 » by nate33 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:11 pm

I think the timing is about right. The decision to keep him last summer was questionable, but once they did so, I think they owed it to Wes to at least give him half a season to put together a functional team with a new roster and a new direction from management.

It didn't work out, so Wes had to go. My guess is that he has lost the locker room.

I don't think it would have been appropriate to fire him much earlier than this. Having a really quick trigger finger in firing coaches makes it harder to hire the next one.
Doug_Blew
Junior
And1: 313

Post#9 » by Doug_Blew » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:22 pm

Hopefully we get to see Bilal do something other than camp out in the corner soon.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,906

Post#10 » by TGW » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:24 pm

I was sick of his rotations. His bias against Deni was aggravating.

Move him to front office role...LOL. What's he going to be doing exactly? Sharpening pencils for Dawkins?
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
trast66
Rookie
And1: 614

Post#11 » by trast66 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:26 pm

Thought he would make it to all star break at least, will be interested to see changes in PT and usage as well as defensive scheme under new coach. Brian Keefe is my complete guess although Blair or Posey might work as well.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,448

Post#12 » by mhd » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:28 pm

TGW wrote:I was sick of his rotations. His bias against Deni was aggravating.

Move him to front office role...LOL. What's he going to be doing exactly? Sharpening pencils for Dawkins?

Urinal Cake inspector.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#13 » by Frichuela » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:28 pm

Will open the bubbly tonite! Great news!

I am convinced the extension was Ted's doing and if he wants to pay Wes as an advisor by all means it's his right. However, it's clear Wes lost the dressing room and there was zero accountably, particularly in relation to Poole and Kuzma. Dawkins and Winger must be concerned this was detrimental to the development of our young players. So good riddance of this nepo hire!

Now, I'm excited to see what our FO tandem can do ahead of the deadline. I expect a few of the vets will be traded.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Frichuela » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:29 pm

mhd wrote:

Urinal Cake inspector.

:lol:
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 884

Post#15 » by badinage » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:32 pm

Vanderpool!

And yeah, it’s surprising. And also? Not surprising.

Whoever comes in has to incorporate Deni more fully, has to have some pep in his voice and show some emotion, has to get these guys to play with discipline and pride. I actually think Wes handled Couliballer pretty well; but yeah, this camping-in-the-corners shxt has to go.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,358

Post#16 » by nate33 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:36 pm

badinage wrote:Vanderpool!

And yeah, it’s surprising. And also? Not surprising.

Whoever comes in has to incorporate Deni more fully, has to have some pep in his voice and show some emotion, has to get these guys to play with discipline and pride. I actually think Wes handled Couliballer pretty well; but yeah, this camping-in-the-corners shxt has to go.

Yeah. I don't really get all the whining about Coulibaly. He has played more minutes than every rookie in the league except Chet and Jaquez. (Well, Brandon Miller just passed him last night, so I guess he is now 4th.) Coulibaly really can't do much more on offense except stand in the corner, make back cuts, and run the floor because he lacks the handle to do so. It's going to take a full offseason of work to get him to the next level as a cog in the offense.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#17 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:40 pm

Wes is under contract next year. Ted isn’t paying him to do nothing. Ted also loves Wes.

Wes started out as a scout. I think he’ll be in the room for draft and free agency stuff.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by Frichuela » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:41 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#19 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:41 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46

Read on Twitter
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#20 » by doclinkin » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:42 pm

nate33 wrote:I think the timing is about right. The decision to keep him last summer was questionable, but once they did so, I think they owed it to Wes to at least give him half a season to put together a functional team with a new roster and a new direction from management.

It didn't work out, so Wes had to go. My guess is that he has lost the locker room.

I don't think it was appropriate to fire him much earlier than this. Having a really quick trigger finger in firing coaches makes it harder to hire the next one.

I think the key thing is that a rebuilding team has to hope for the players to show improvement in both team play and individual growth. To get the most out of they talents they have. This team is not under-talented, should not be a 7 win team, the fact that we have had multiple late game collapses while actually ahead suggests that the problem is in-game management, not lack of talent. Especially on defensive concepts.

A young team needs thoughtful guidance and a firm hand. I see in the headlines up there ^^^^ that Dave Joerger is maybe rejoining the coaching ranks to assist Doc Rivers, after a battle with cancer. That's the guy for a rebuilding team. He has won in the minor leagues with whatever team he had, primarily by maximizing the defensive potential of the talent on his squad. Built the grim and gritty defensive mindset of the Grizzles when he was on their coaching staff. He tends to get fired because he won't nod to prima donna talents, but will play the guys who give the right effort. And does not make friends in the front office because he cares about basketball more than personal politics. Here he would have benched Poole and left him in the Gulag until he chose to give a shxt at that end. Likewise he would know how to use the length and strength of our switchable big front line.

Under Jeorger. Marvin Bagley would start. Poole would be benched. Jared Butler would play Poole's minutes, might contend with Tyus for starters minutes. Deni would play till his tongue was hanging out. Kuzma would improve as a defender simply due to smarter schemes and less over-exertion on the offensive end.

Return to Washington Wizards