ImageImageImageImageImage

Shams: Wes Unseld Jr. is out as Wizards Head Coach, will move to Front Office role. Brian Keefe named Interim HC…

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Re: Shams: Wes Unseld Jr. is out as Wizards Head Coach, will move to Front Office role. Brian Keefe named Interim HC… 

Post#41 » by Frichuela » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:27 pm

Dark Faze wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if Wes himself wanted to bail. I don't think he's a good HC, but this isn't a good situation atm. It's one thing to coach a rebuilding team with young talent that's going to lose a lot of games. It's another thing to coach a team that's tanking and potentially a couple years away from drafting a franchise player.

I hope we get lucky and get a franchise guy this summer. It's just really tough to have direction without one.

The problem is this is a very weak draft with no franchise player in sight, and I hope I am wrong...
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Re: Shams: Wes Unseld Jr. is out as Wizards Head Coach, will move to Front Office role. Brian Keefe named Interim HC… 

Post#42 » by nate33 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:28 pm

Dark Faze wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if Wes himself wanted to bail. I don't think he's a good HC, but this isn't a good situation atm. It's one thing to coach a rebuilding team with young talent that's going to lose a lot of games. It's another thing to coach a team that's tanking and potentially a couple years away from drafting a franchise player.

I serious doubt this. Wes has no reason to think another head coaching gig will come his way. He doesn't have the luxury to bail and wait for a good situation.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,163

Post#43 » by AFM » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:22 pm

Yeah no way Wes wanted to bail. Honestly its a bit embarrassing to get re-signed and fired so quickly. He was just totally in over his head. Mediocre coach, maybe a great guy, I dunno. Doesn't matter. He had us playing historically awful defense and there's really no justification for that.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,159

Post#44 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:46 pm

AFM wrote:Yeah no way Wes wanted to bail. Honestly its a bit embarrassing to get re-signed and fired so quickly. He was just totally in over his head. Mediocre coach, maybe a great guy, I dunno. Doesn't matter. He had us playing historically awful defense and there's really no justification for that.

He was resigned? I though he was just playing out his contract, maybe I'm missing something on an extension.
AFM
General Manager

Post#45 » by AFM » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:50 pm

CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:
AFM wrote:Yeah no way Wes wanted to bail. Honestly its a bit embarrassing to get re-signed and fired so quickly. He was just totally in over his head. Mediocre coach, maybe a great guy, I dunno. Doesn't matter. He had us playing historically awful defense and there's really no justification for that.

He was resigned? I though he was just playing out his contract, maybe I'm missing something on an extension.

My bad. I mean they picked up his option thru 2025. Not re-signed.

Probably would have been better to fully clear house when new management came in, but I guess they gave him his shot and he blew it.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#46 » by Rafael122 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:47 pm

My guess is the next coach will be of the OKC/Clippers tree.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,012

Post#47 » by Dark Faze » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:01 pm

IDK, it's just that the bar is so low for what the team is expected to do right now, that I find it weird that you'd make an in-season change.

Maybe they see something in Keefe or have someone they are targeting for the summer.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#48 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:50 pm

Rafael122 wrote:My guess is the next coach will be of the OKC/Clippers tree.

Keefe is from that tree... he has a chance to keep this job.

He was in OKC with Winger and Dawkins..
AFM
General Manager

Post#49 » by AFM » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:56 pm

F it, get Mike Dantoni in here
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#50 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:00 pm

Read on Twitter
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#51 » by dobrojim » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:14 pm

TGW wrote:Yea doc, I was about to suggest Joeger as well. He's a good coach for a young team lacking discipline.

another name to throw in the ring for the offseason?

Budz?
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 959

Post#52 » by tleikheen » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:30 pm

HaHa like to effin late ..... Seeing how KP is anchoring Celtics defense and Beal is playing with the now streaking Suns and Hachimura has started with Lebron and AD of late the Wizards had the players . Everyone here KNEW WUJ was a low quality coach and that the Wiz NEEDED a PG in the worst way.Now theyre going to be bottom dwellers for the next 3/4 yrs and still no telling what theyll be after that.
The last of the Beal,KP,Rui ....Kuz foursome has a good chance to go to Sacramento or Mavericks and be a big contributor joining the other 3 in chasing a title . If only they had went and got a top PG and sh*t canned WUJ a year ago.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,159

Post#53 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:38 pm

AFM wrote:F it, get Mike Dantoni in here

I was thinking about this, just because he seems to be able to implement an identity. Only thing I feel like a lot of his success has been on veteran filled teams. Not sure he could do it for a rebuilding team or would want to for that matter.
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 837

Post#54 » by 9 and 20 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:57 pm

Glad they made the move, now start making some trades please.

Wasn't Brian Windhorst at the game yesterday? That dude is like a walking NBA conspiracy theory.

Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#55 » by DCZards » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:16 pm

tleikheen wrote:HaHa like to effin late ..... Seeing how KP is anchoring Celtics defense and Beal is playing with the now streaking Suns and Hachimura has started with Lebron and AD of late the Wizards had the players.

There’s a lot to blame Wes Jr for but this ain’t it. KP was rejuvenated under Wes, Beal missed 30 plus games last season, and LAL is probably sorry it resigned Rui who has done very little for them season.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#57 » by keynote » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:58 pm

Read on Twitter

The best GM ability is accountability. :clap:
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#58 » by closg00 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:07 pm

DCZards wrote:
tleikheen wrote:HaHa like to effin late ..... Seeing how KP is anchoring Celtics defense and Beal is playing with the now streaking Suns and Hachimura has started with Lebron and AD of late the Wizards had the players.

There’s a lot to blame Wes Jr for but this ain’t it. KP was rejuvenated under Wes, Beal missed 30 plus games last season, and LAL is probably sorry it resigned Rui who has done very little for them season.

The team often performed better w/o Beal, a good coach would have done MUCH MUCH better with that group.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#59 » by DCZards » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:08 pm

closg00 wrote:
DCZards wrote:

The team often performed better w/o Beal, a good coach would have done MUCH MUCH better with that group.

Team performed better without Beal? I suggest you check the W-L record. :)
FAH1223
RealGM

Re: Shams: Wes Unseld Jr. is out as Wizards Head Coach, will move to Front Office role… 

Post#60 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:54 am

Return to Washington Wizards