ImageImageImageImageImage

Shams: Wes Unseld Jr. is out as Wizards Head Coach, will move to Front Office role. Brian Keefe named Interim HC…

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Re: Shams: Wes Unseld Jr. is out as Wizards Head Coach, will move to Front Office role. Brian Keefe named Interim HC… 

Post#61 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:26 am

Read on Twitter

WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Re: Shams: Wes Unseld Jr. is out as Wizards Head Coach, will move to Front Office role. Brian Keefe named Interim HC… 

Post#62 » by WallToWall » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:44 am

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

https://youtu.be/AUGWm-N56dU?si=33o9oYqG-_aJLTM6

He’ll get everyone in the gym at 4am and leaving at 10pm.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#63 » by WallToWall » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:29 am

I am glad that WUJ is out. He just didn’t have the temperament to be a head coach. He also lacked the capacity to effectively manage games. A front office job would suit him well. Maybe, in time, he can try being a HC again.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#64 » by gambitx777 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:51 am

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

https://youtu.be/AUGWm-N56dU?si=33o9oYqG-_aJLTM6
I mean at that price he's worth a shot lol

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,185

Re: Shams: Wes Unseld Jr. is out as Wizards Head Coach, will move to Front Office role… 

Post#65 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:14 pm

doclinkin wrote:
nate33 wrote:I think the timing is about right. The decision to keep him last summer was questionable, but once they did so, I think they owed it to Wes to at least give him half a season to put together a functional team with a new roster and a new direction from management.

It didn't work out, so Wes had to go. My guess is that he has lost the locker room.

I don't think it was appropriate to fire him much earlier than this. Having a really quick trigger finger in firing coaches makes it harder to hire the next one.

I think the key thing is that a rebuilding team has to hope for the players to show improvement in both team play and individual growth. To get the most out of they talents they have. This team is not under-talented, should not be a 7 win team, the fact that we have had multiple late game collapses while actually ahead suggests that the problem is in-game management, not lack of talent. Especially on defensive concepts.

A young team needs thoughtful guidance and a firm hand. I see in the headlines up there ^^^^ that Dave Joerger is maybe rejoining the coaching ranks to assist Doc Rivers, after a battle with cancer. That's the guy for a rebuilding team. He has won in the minor leagues with whatever team he had, primarily by maximizing the defensive potential of the talent on his squad. Built the grim and gritty defensive mindset of the Grizzles when he was on their coaching staff. He tends to get fired because he won't nod to prima donna talents, but will play the guys who give the right effort. And does not make friends in the front office because he cares about basketball more than personal politics. Here he would have benched Poole and left him in the Gulag until he chose to give a shxt at that end. Likewise he would know how to use the length and strength of our switchable big front line.

Under Jeorger. Marvin Bagley would start. Poole would be benched. Jared Butler would play Poole's minutes, might contend with Tyus for starters minutes. Deni would play till his tongue was hanging out. Kuzma would improve as a defender simply due to smarter schemes and less over-exertion on the offensive end.

shoot if you're allowed to that I should be coach
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Re: Shams: Wes Unseld Jr. is out as Wizards Head Coach, will move to Front Office role… 

Post#66 » by DCZards » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:31 pm

doclinkin wrote:Under Jeorger. Marvin Bagley would start. Poole would be benched. Jared Butler would play Poole's minutes, might contend with Tyus for starters minutes. Deni would play till his tongue was hanging out. Kuzma would improve as a defender simply due to smarter schemes and less over-exertion on the offensive end.

I’m for every bit of this…especially the part about Jared Butler. Wright is special on the defensive end but he’s giving the Zards zilch on offense. No shooting, no playmaking, no penetrating. Might as well give Butler a chance to show what he can do.

I don’t think Joerger is the only head coach who can make the above happen…maybe Keefe will.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,012

Post#67 » by Dark Faze » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:36 pm

I would just ask what the expectations would be for a new coach that's almost guaranteed to suffer a couple of really poor seasons because the roster is butt. If it's not actually winning, then of course it's "play the right way", player development, and getting guys to check in mentally.

I would argue the latter is unlikely. Players aren't going to ignore reality. When 90% of the roster knows they aren't in the teams long term plans, you can't expect guys to be fully bought into the situation.
leswizards
Pro Prospect
And1: 212

Post#69 » by leswizards » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:43 pm

Jordan Poole has had 2 good games under Keefe. It could be just a coincidence. Hopefully not.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#70 » by closg00 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:20 pm

leswizards wrote:Jordan Poole has had 2 good games under Keefe. It could be just a coincidence. Hopefully not.

Still hasn’t put a cork on “I’ll shoot it every time” Kuzma, but he’s just getting started..
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#71 » by Frichuela » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:28 pm

closg00 wrote:
leswizards wrote:Jordan Poole has had 2 good games under Keefe. It could be just a coincidence. Hopefully not.

Still hasn’t put a cork on “I’ll shoot it every time” Kuzma, but he’s just getting started..

Let's hope so! If he does, Kuzma efficiency should improve and alas the team's play.
RinseRepeat
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#72 » by RinseRepeat » Sat Feb 3, 2024 8:56 am

Dark Faze wrote:I would just ask what the expectations would be for a new coach that's almost guaranteed to suffer a couple of really poor seasons because the roster is butt. If it's not actually winning, then of course it's "play the right way", player development, and getting guys to check in mentally.

I would argue the latter is unlikely. Players aren't going to ignore reality. When 90% of the roster knows they aren't in the teams long term plans, you can't expect guys to be fully bought into the situation.

this is why you can't have overpaid, bad example setting vets like Poole and Kuzma on the roster. They're the types that coast, don't buy in, take developmental minutes away from kids and are just total zeros that aren't contributing to building something for the future. You won't have to worry about agendas or players buying in if they're high character and fighting for their careers. Healthy competition is the key. You have to spend the cap but you can use that on guys that play the right way that help kids develop and understand that's their role and that they'll eventually be moved to a contender for draft picks.
2Fluffy4U
Freshman
And1: 83

Post#73 » by 2Fluffy4U » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:47 am

Are we all in agreement that Keefe is lightyears better than Wes and deserves his own thread? I would also make an argument his 'Interim' status should be in discussion and have no reason to oppose the idea of him getting full reign.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#74 » by closg00 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:03 pm

2Fluffy4U wrote:Are we all in agreement that Keefe is lightyears better than Wes and deserves his own thread? I would also make an argument his 'Interim' status should be in discussion and have no reason to oppose the idea of him getting full reign.

Keefe is perfectly fine to have for another tank year, dunno how-good he is at mentoring young players
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 837

Post#75 » by 9 and 20 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:36 am

Fine with giving Chief another year. Next year might be even uglier than this year, might as well have this guy take it on the chin, so to speak.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?

Return to Washington Wizards