ImageImageImageImageImage

GT #49: Suns @ Bullets 3:30 PM (NBA TV/MSN/980 AM)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,359

Re: GT #50: Suns @ Bullets 3:30 PM (NBA TV/MSN/980 AM) 

Post#41 » by nate33 » Sun Feb 4, 2024 10:54 pm

CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:
Pistol King wrote:Deni should learn the art of Euro step to avoid making such offensive fouls.

It's one area he must improve on his drives to make them less predictable.

Didnt watch after first but way too many turnovers from him. Hopefully these will be learning moments for him, but got to love 10-13 from the field with only shooting blemish being the missed freebies

This is why I always pump the brakes on all the "Deni needs higher usage" talk. Deni isn't yet able to impose his will offensively. He is at his best when he aggressively takes what the defense gives, but doesn't force things. On some nights, that'll mean 20 points on 15 shots. On other nights, that will mean 9 points on 7 shots.

That said, after the Trade Deadline when nothing matters anymore, I'd be fine with Deni getting more opportunities to try to create offense. I'm not expecting the results to be all that great, but it should help his individual development.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,877

Post#42 » by payitforward » Sun Feb 4, 2024 10:57 pm

Brad was absolutely great, no doubt about it. He put on a show -- I was only able to watch the first half, but I was happy to see it (especially during the 5-9 minutes in which we managed to keep up w/ Phoenix).
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,927

Re: GT #49: Suns @ Bullets 3:30 PM (NBA TV/MSN/980 AM) 

Post#43 » by tontoz » Sun Feb 4, 2024 11:25 pm

Gotta love Deni's shot chart.

"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 884

Post#44 » by badinage » Sun Feb 4, 2024 11:36 pm

Yeah, sorry; not feeling it. In fact, feeling the opposite.

Had he sought a more equitable exit for both sides, I’d be feeling a lot more love for him. It’s a business, sure, blah blah blah, but the fans, we don’t care about business. That’s the relationship that matters. He got the one and only deal he wanted and would accept, and he got his bag. But he lost, too. Lost my respect and the respect of others, too. Lost our love and appreciation. He’s not a cherished former Bullet and Wizard, a la Elvin or Wes or Bobby D or Phil or Grevey, or even Gilbert. He’s not on the level of John Wall in that sense. It’s a shame. It didn’t have to be this way.

On another note: Deni with 24 on 13 shots, and 3 of 5 from deep. In his last 20 games, I believe he’s shooting 42% from 3?
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,159

Post#45 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Sun Feb 4, 2024 11:58 pm

nate33 wrote:
CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:
Pistol King wrote:Deni should learn the art of Euro step to avoid making such offensive fouls.

It's one area he must improve on his drives to make them less predictable.

Didnt watch after first but way too many turnovers from him. Hopefully these will be learning moments for him, but got to love 10-13 from the field with only shooting blemish being the missed freebies

This is why I always pump the brakes on all the "Deni needs higher usage" talk. Deni isn't yet able to impose his will offensively. He is at his best when he aggressively takes what the defense gives, but doesn't force things. On some nights, that'll mean 20 points on 15 shots. On other nights, that will mean 9 points on 7 shots.

That said, after the Trade Deadline when nothing matters anymore, I'd be fine with Deni getting more opportunities to try to create offense. I'm not expecting the results to be all that great, but it should help his individual development.

I think he should definitely get more usage, way too many possessions he's not touching the ball. I do agree that there is probably some limit to how much additional usage where it makes him a negative. So I think the folks that say that they want to see his usage increase are right, they may be wrong on how much he can take. Also, it's not just about how many points he's producing either, it's about not relegating him to the guy other teammates can lookoff and involving him more in the wrinkles of the offense.

Also, I certainly am expecting him to struggle some if he does take on higher usage. That's fine, now is the time to let him work some of the kinks out. It's not like Kuzma doesn't have horrible high turnover games as well and he's supposedly some masterclass at absorbing usage.

Another thing that is important, is I don't want Deni to become obsessive about scoring. I would be fine with him being an 15-18 scorer while also doing all the little things that make him a unique and in many ways outstanding player. Deni has maybe -I don't want to jinx it- figured out had meat and potatoes on offense, next it's working on doing that while reducing some of the avoidable TOs while maybe adding a go-to move or two (I love when he's taken his size advantage over smaller defenders in the post this season).

I'd like to see Deni doing something along the lines of 17-18 points 8 rebound 6.5 assists 1 steal 0.5 blocks 2 turnovers on 50/38/80 splits with him d-ing it up on multiple positions. That to me, even if another two years away, is a player that can be valuable piece for 8+ years as he hits the age of 25.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,355

Post#46 » by Kanyewest » Mon Feb 5, 2024 2:23 am

MOSH
Ballboy
And1: 29

Post#47 » by MOSH » Mon Feb 5, 2024 8:07 am

I have to say, the refs sucks.
You could already tell they won't over turn a call if it's a non star like avdija, but booker? Let's try to find some excuse to overturn...
That was a clear offensive foul.
We need AI so it won't be biased.
arusinov
Sophomore
And1: 257

Post#48 » by arusinov » Mon Feb 5, 2024 2:21 pm

MOSH wrote:I have to say, the refs sucks.
You could already tell they won't over turn a call if it's a non star like avdija, but booker? Let's try to find some excuse to overturn...
That was a clear offensive foul.
We need AI so it won't be biased.

Nah... They would train the AI on real-life refs decisions sample, and it will be even more biased than human refs.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,355

Post#49 » by Kanyewest » Mon Feb 5, 2024 3:19 pm

Poole had more rebounds (5) than points (4).

Return to Washington Wizards