Woj: Gafford to Dallas

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,369

Re: Woj: Gafford to Dallas 

Post#141 » by doclinkin » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:03 am

nate33 wrote:
TGW wrote:Kawhi has a hip abductor strain and it looks like he'll miss a few weeks.

Interesting. The Clippers pick owed to us would be the 27th pick in the draft.

The Clippers are clumped alongside OKC, MIN, DEN, CLE and MIL in the standings, fighting for the 2nd best record in the league behind Boston who is comfortably in front. The pick they owe us could be anywhere between #24 and #29. So with Kawhi out, it's a strong possibility that they fall to the bottom of that group and the pick the owe us will be the #24 pick.

There's a pretty big gap after that though. The next group of teams are NYK, PHI, NOP, PHO and DAL, all about 3-4 games behind the Clippers. I don't think they'll fall that far. Maybe one or two of those teams go on a run, and catch the Clippers, but not the whole pack. So I'd say the best we will do is #23. That still beats #27 though!

3 & 23 on Tankathon brings us Risacher and Zach Edey. You know I'd be happy. And 51 with DaRon Holmes? Over the moon.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,876

Re: Woj: Gafford to Dallas 

Post#142 » by payitforward » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:00 am

The Consiglieri wrote:
DCZards wrote:
The Consiglieri wrote:When we are left with nothing and the worst draft class in a decade?

what we have are chairs on the titanic and an incoming draft that is straight garbage.

Worst draft class in a decade? Where are you guys getting this stuff from? There’s no one, absolutely no one capable of knowing for sure where this draft class will rank 5, 10, 15 years from now.

Or what absolute stud(s) might be available in the first or second round.

... scouts can evaluate the talent of the class...

They can try, but, nah... they can't do it successfully. They can't assess a draft class as a whole, & they can't give their teams the ability to pick players in anything resembling the order of how good they are.

Take a look at the '08 draft: how good did Michael Beasley turn out to be? How about O.J. Mayo? Joe Alexander? Jerryd Bayless? Jason Thompso? Brandon Rush? Anthony Randolph? Marreese Speights?

That's more than 1/2 the guys taken in the lottery.

Which left Ryan Anderson (21), Serge Ibaka (24), Nic Batum (25) to be taken in the twenties. & DeAndre Jordan (35) to be taken in the 30s, & Goran Dragic to be there when pick #45 came around.

How about the following year? Were Hasheem Thabeet (2), Tyreke Evasns (4), & Jonny Flynn (6) all better than Steph Curry? Were they better than DeMar DeRozan, who went 2 picks after Steph. Were all those guys plus Jordan Hill, Brandon Jennings, Terrence Wiliams, Gerald Hdnerson, Tyler Hansbrough, Earl Clark, Austin Daye & James Johnson better than Jrue Holiday?

How many of the first 54 picks of the 2009 draft were better than Patty Mills, who was picked at 55? How many of the first 40 were better than Jodie Meeks (41)? or Patrick Beverly (42)? Or Danny Green (46)?

The best player out of the 2010 draft was taken at #10. For that matter, how many of the first 39 picks that year were better than the guy taken at #40 (Lance Stephenson)? I'd say the number is 8, maybe 9.

2011 is even more egregious! The general opinion of "experts" was that this was going to be a very weak draft, because the season was sure to be shortened (it was), & players were deciding to stay in school an extra year. Only... gee... 2 of the 5 best players in the last decade went that year -- but not high of course: they went at 15 & 30!

2012 was highly touted, on the other hand -- & featured probably the worst R1 overall outside of 3 players (Davis, Beal & Dame).

The Consiglieri wrote:...the view is clearly and emphatically that this is the worst lottery... since 2013....

What value does "the view" of these guys have? When they are regularly & repeatedly wrong? Every single year?

The Consiglieri wrote:...I can't recall a time where a class was called garbage going in, and wasn't garbage. Saying that I fully acknowledge there can be undervalued gems to be discovered like Giannis and Gobert in '13 etc.

Sigh... since guys are never ever drafted in anything even vaguely resembling the order of how good they actually turn out to be -- & I do mean never ever as in not even once in NBA history (though every once in a while -- but not often -- the guy taken #1 turns out to be among the best of the year -- you have to conclude that all the good players, every single year, are "undervalued."
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....

Return to Washington Wizards