GT 53: Gafford's Old Team @ Gafford's New Team

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,452

Re: GT 53: Gafford's Old Team @ Gafford's New Team 

Post#41 » by nate33 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:53 am

Nigel Tufnel wrote:Love Poole. Perfect tank commander. Don’t change a thing. Fingers crossed he plays better in a couple of years so we can extract a second rounder for him.

We don't need any help tanking at this point. We are already guaranteed a bottom 4 finish (6 losses behind Portland), and with Charlotte playing better, bottom 3 seems pretty likely. Our lottery odds are essentially the same anywhere in the bottom 3, and only slightly worse at #4.
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 886

Post#42 » by badinage » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:03 am

Terribly reffed game in the fourth. They got no calls. Luka got star treatment — egregiously so; laughably so. And while Deni’s star is ascendant, the zebras treat him like a G-leaguer: no respect, none; he got hosed six, seven times in the quarter.

It’s a shame, because Keefe has these guys playing good, focused, mostly disciplined ball. And hustling. And playing for each other. They outclassed Dallas for about 43 min.

And Deni … what can I say? I love the kid. His emergence is thrilling, truly, and a development that makes the cupboard seem much less bare.
Runner300
Freshman
And1: 49

Post#43 » by Runner300 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:29 am

Gafford, coming from the worst rebounding team, suddenly posts 17 boards, with 7 of them offensive.
Haven't seen the game, but this one stands out...
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,360

Post#44 » by Kanyewest » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:15 am

nate33 wrote:
Nigel Tufnel wrote:Love Poole. Perfect tank commander. Don’t change a thing. Fingers crossed he plays better in a couple of years so we can extract a second rounder for him.

We don't need any help tanking at this point. We are already guaranteed a bottom 4 finish (6 losses behind Portland), and with Charlotte playing better, bottom 3 seems pretty likely. Our lottery odds are essentially the same anywhere in the bottom 3, and only slightly worse at #4.

Maybe it will help the tank for next season somehow by building momentum.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,452

Post#45 » by nate33 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:55 pm

I'm going to keep pointing out that the team has played much better starting in early January (after those three blowout losses to CLE, CLE and NYK). Wes scrapped the Gallo experiment, put in a real backup center, and we started paying more attention to defensive rebounding.

Our Net Rating from the start of the season through January 7th was -8.6. That projects to a 17-win season.
Our Net Rating since January 7th is -5.1. That projects to a 25-win season.

Since January 7th, we have had the 28th ranked offense, but the 13th ranked defense. We have been unfortunate in close games too. Our point differential says we should have gone 6-12 over our last 18 games. Instead, we've gone 3-15. For over a month now, I'd say we look like an actual competent team that is only missing a star. If we keep this up for the remainder of the season, I will consider the season a success. Tanking with dignity.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,930

Post#46 » by tontoz » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:25 pm

The defense is encouraging given that our starting backcourt is so bad on D.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,159

Post#47 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:28 pm

nate33 wrote:Jordan Poole :nonono:

It's really hard to watch at this point. Please, sit him. It's for his own good.

I think this gets overlooked.
trast66
Rookie
And1: 614

Post#48 » by trast66 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:12 am

nate33 wrote:I'm going to keep pointing out that the team has played much better starting in early January (after those three blowout losses to CLE, CLE and NYK). Wes scrapped the Gallo experiment, put in a real backup center, and we started paying more attention to defensive rebounding.

Our Net Rating from the start of the season through January 7th was -8.6. That projects to a 17-win season.
Our Net Rating since January 7th is -5.1. That projects to a 25-win season.

Since January 7th, we have had the 28th ranked offense, but the 13th ranked defense. We have been unfortunate in close games too. Our point differential says we should have gone 6-12 over our last 18 games. Instead, we've gone 3-15. For over a month now, I'd say we look like an actual competent team that is only missing a star. If we keep this up for the remainder of the season, I will consider the season a success. Tanking with dignity.

We had 4 games against Detroit and San Antonio in that stretch and also had Gafford. Feels like most teams can take it serious for one quarter against us and know that’s all they need to do. Some wins would be good for morale but next month of schedule is brutal.

Return to Washington Wizards