Wizards Head Coach Brian Keefe

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,365

Wizards Head Coach Brian Keefe 

Post#1 » by nate33 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:15 pm

Keefe doesn't have a thread yet so I started one.

In a recent article by Josh Robbins of the Athletic, Robbins pointed this out:

Keefe took over a team that had gone 7-36 and ranked next to last leaguewide in defense. In the two-plus months since the coaching change, the Wizards have posted an 8-25 record and have ranked 22nd overall in defense.

Read on Twitter

And to be fair, it takes time to implement a new system. After Keefe took over, there was a 2-game "honeymoon" win streak where they beat Detroit and San Antonio, but then went back to losing while Keefe overhauled things. It took him about a month to establish his system, but in the past 14 games, the Wizards are 6-8 and look like a competent team.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,943

Re: Wizards Head Coach Brian Keefe 

Post#2 » by Frichuela » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:29 pm

Yes, he has been a significant improvement over nepo WUJ who was such a calamity as head coach.

Keefe probably deserves a chance next season, we shall see what Dawkins/Winger decide...
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,927

Post#3 » by tontoz » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:36 pm

Beating the Heat in Miami, who were healthy and trying to stay out of the play in, was pretty epic.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,534

Post#4 » by closg00 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 7:04 pm

Despite my game thread comment, make no mistake about it, Keefe is >>> the Nepo baby
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,357

Post#5 » by Kanyewest » Wed Apr 3, 2024 7:43 pm

According to NBA reference, Keefe * now has more wins on the season than Wes - 8-25 vs 7-36.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,166

Post#6 » by AFM » Wed Apr 3, 2024 8:37 pm

CHIEF KEEFE!!!!!
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,782

Post#7 » by Rafael122 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 1:21 pm

It really depends on what the plan is the next 2-3 years. If it's to tank, makes more sense to keep him or try and pluck from the OKC tree, or any coaching tree that is successful. If they want to compete 2 years from now, maybe someone like Coach Bud makes sense?
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#8 » by nate33 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 1:38 pm

Rafael122 wrote:It really depends on what the plan is the next 2-3 years. If it's to tank, makes more sense to keep him or try and pluck from the OKC tree, or any coaching tree that is successful. If they want to compete 2 years from now, maybe someone like Coach Bud makes sense?

I'm 100% certain the plan is to tank next year.

I think we should keep Keefe. He has already proven to be pretty good so far. And young coaches typically improve in their first couple of seasons.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,911

Post#9 » by TGW » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:34 pm

I would keep him. He has made a difference in Poole and Deni's trajectory this season in a positive way. They actually look like they're being coached too, unlike Wes.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#10 » by WallToWall » Sun Apr 7, 2024 1:44 am

Given the way players are responding, especially the younger players, Keefe seems to be a good teacher and motivator. What more can we ask from him given a team that is at least two years out from anything good. He may even be growing as a coach, and given the timeline of the team building, may be the ideal fit for this team for the next few years. I say keep him! If anything, they should look to hiring assistant coaches that are better fits for Keefe, assuming the assistants we have aren't.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#11 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sun Apr 7, 2024 2:08 am

Keep him? Sure why not? Not sure it makes much difference. Next year the edict is to lose and lose big. We need a high draft pick in a good draft year.
In Rizzo we trust
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,166

Post#12 » by AFM » Sun Apr 7, 2024 3:14 am

Actual question, anyone have any info on what WUJ is doing now? Remember, he technically got a promotion LOL.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#13 » by nate33 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 3:19 am

Last I saw, he was going to have a big role in scouting for the draft.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,357

Post#14 » by Kanyewest » Sun Apr 7, 2024 3:21 am

AFM wrote:Actual question, anyone have any info on what WUJ is doing now? Remember, he technically got a promotion LOL.

He's in the front office - he's aiming to follow in his dad's footsteps by being the GM. Maybe he's assistant to the general manager.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,448

Post#15 » by mhd » Sun Apr 7, 2024 11:39 am

nate33 wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:It really depends on what the plan is the next 2-3 years. If it's to tank, makes more sense to keep him or try and pluck from the OKC tree, or any coaching tree that is successful. If they want to compete 2 years from now, maybe someone like Coach Bud makes sense?

I think we should keep Keefe. He has already proven to be pretty good so far. And young coaches typically improve in their first couple of seasons.

Bagg for Flagg!!

We are easily in the pole position for the #1 tanking seed LOL. Lets look at the competition:

Brooklyn can't tank since they don't own the rights to their 2025 1st rounder.
Detroit has to try and start winning. They made that Bagley trade with us to get more cap space for a reason. They'll sign some vets to compete for the play-in.
The Raptors have been tanking to keep their pick (otherwise it goes to SAS) for months now. With Barnes back, they won't be in competition with us.
Wemby is going to be too good to let the Spurs compete with us.
Brandon Miller will make the jump. A healthy Miller, Mark Williams, and Ball should allow Charlotte to easily outpace us.
The Bulls will always try and compete. I would tank if I were them, but they won't.

Its a two-team race between us and Portland most likely. Lets the tankers begin!!
mhd
General Manager

Post#16 » by mhd » Sun Apr 7, 2024 11:40 am

AFM wrote:Actual question, anyone have any info on what WUJ is doing now? Remember, he technically got a promotion LOL.

I said it in his firing thread. He's the Urinal Cake inspector now.
mhd
General Manager

Post#17 » by mhd » Sun Apr 7, 2024 11:41 am

nate33 wrote:Last I saw, he was going to have a big role in scouting for the draft.

Yeah, Winger, Dawkins, and Schlenk should do the opposite of what WUJ wants. WUJ was apparently a big Johnny Davis fan during that draft process where Davis wowed him in his meeting.
leswizards
Pro Prospect
And1: 212

Post#18 » by leswizards » Sun Apr 7, 2024 1:15 pm

As long as Poole and Kuzma are getting a combined 60 mpg, I am going to be unhappy with the coaching.

However, that decision may be coming from the front office. Poole is playing better as of late, but I am not sure if he has been playing good enough to merit 30 mpg. At this point it really doesn’t matter as the season is almost over and the team is banged up. My concern is for what happens next season.
Jay81
Starter
And1: 480

Post#19 » by Jay81 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 5:20 pm

mhd wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Bagg for Flagg!!

We are easily in the pole position for the #1 tanking seed LOL. Lets look at the competition:

Brooklyn can't tank since they don't own the rights to their 2025 1st rounder.
Detroit has to try and start winning. They made that Bagley trade with us to get more cap space for a reason. They'll sign some vets to compete for the play-in.
The Raptors have been tanking to keep their pick (otherwise it goes to SAS) for months now. With Barnes back, they won't be in competition with us.
Wemby is going to be too good to let the Spurs compete with us.
Brandon Miller will make the jump. A healthy Miller, Mark Williams, and Ball should allow Charlotte to easily outpace us.
The Bulls will always try and compete. I would tank if I were them, but they won't.

Its a two-team race between us and Portland most likely. Lets the tankers begin!!

Toronto is definitely a bottom 3 next year
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#20 » by nate33 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 5:29 pm

mhd wrote:Bagg for Flagg!!

Bail for Bailey!

Return to Washington Wizards