DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,978

Re: GT78 Wiz vs Blazers 

Post#41 » by DCZards » Sat Apr 6, 2024 8:56 pm

nate33 wrote:
CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:
nate33 wrote:
I know it's going to sound like I'm always arguing with you, I honestly don't mean to. But I have to disagree with that characterization of Kispert. I think Kispert's passing has improved quite a bit this year. He was second on the team in assists last night with 5. His assists per 36 this year has nearly doubled this year. Last year it was a truly anemic 1.5 which really is the tunnel vision that you speak of. But this year, it's up to 2.5 per 36, which isn't bad for a guy who is exclusively an off-ball player. I'd like to see that number creep up to 3 or so, but that's really about the most one can expect from a guy in his role.

I agree that he is forcing more shots, with the marginal extra ones being of lower quality, but when you look at the numbers, that's exactly what he should be doing. Last year, he had an unbelievably efficient year with a .657 TS%. But that's actually bad given that he was so much more efficient than the rest of the roster. You look at that number and say: "he needs to get up more shots. He is hurting the team by being so passive." So, this year, he worked on upping his usage, which consequently impacted his TS%. But the end result I think is about right. Instead of a 14% usage and a .657 TS% like last year, this year he is posting a 20% usage and a .617 TS%. I'd say that's a good thing.

All good nate, I'm all for healthy debates and conversations, this is a forum after all.

Regarding Kispert, sure he's improved his per game numbers, but there are so many instances he has I guy wide open and he just won't even look in his direction where there is any easy pass to be made and likely a higher quality shot no matter what Kispert's TS% is. Kispert's another case of a player that I take their offensive ability (TS% in this case) with a huge grain of salt given that he averages a paltry 2.8 rpg (I'd wager this is among the worst in the league from a guy that is 6-7 and plays the amount of minutes he does) and 1.8 apg (1.2 TOs per game) despite actually getting a fair amount of touches while also getting rag dolled on defense game-after-game. This isn't an overstatement, he is hunted by offenses because they know he can't guard a chair. So if I don't feel like your expending energy in other places to help the team, I'm going to weight down it down when you expend all your energy on offense.

I'd like to like Kispert more, in his rookie season he was showing some flashes that he wouldn't constantly be exposed on defense, but there has been scant evidence since that he's made any progress in that department. I haven't given up on him, and I'm fine with him being on the team for the time being, but he's got to show more then taking shots. You have to do more in the NBA.

I agree that his rebounding is the biggest disappointment. I've been watching his defense lately and I do feel he has picked it up a bit, at least off ball. I remarked about it in the Bucks game thread. But, yeah, his defense is why he is not a true starter in the NBA. He's a 7th man. I hope we pay him like one.

I think he is very good on offense though. I wouldn't change much at all, except to get that 3-ball back up to 40%.

…and that FT shooting back up to 80%

Return to Washington Wizards