ImageImageImageImageImage

When/if Gil and Etan come back: D-Mac goes to D-League?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

When/if Gil and Etan come back: D-Mac goes to D-League? 

Post#1 » by keynote » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:31 pm

If Etan decides to take the season off, the Wizards with Gil would have a full, 12-man active roster. But, with Etan feeling froggy, it looks like we may have to eventually ship one of the young'uns down to the D-league. Now, obviously, the leading candidate would have to be McGuire, since he hardly gets any PT as it is.

At first blush, it would appear that a stint D-League could only help McGuire's development. Right now, in limited minutes, he looks like your prototypical player who's average at everything and excellent at nothing. Perhaps, with increased PT at a slightly lower level, he can work on carving out a role and a differentiating skill set.

However, with Hopla inoculating folks with shooting serum, and Ayers putting defense-first hoodoo on people, would D-Mac be better off in the D-league, in the hands of a different developmental staff? I'm trying to think of a Wizard who, after beholding the D-League, became changed--for the better. No one immediately comes to mind, but I may have missed someone. Blatche's initial developmental leap didn't coincide with his tour of duty in the D-League, for example--it came later.

So, I put the question to the forum. What say you?
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#2 » by hands11 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:37 pm

I say we cross this bridge when it gets here. No telling what may happen between now and then. The future is unknown. For example, you assume we don't have any other injuries so the roster is full.

Not so sure we can assume that.

You also assume we don't make any trade before the deadline.

NO SOUP FOR YOU.

COME BACK.

MARCH 1stish. Better yet. 2 to 3 weeks.
go'stags
Sixth Man
And1: 29

Post#3 » by go'stags » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:47 pm

I wouldn't do it.

D-Mac's game isnt really a fit for the D-league. He is not much of a one on one player, and he seems like he would thrive in an actual offensive system[like the wizards], and not in the D-league.
LyricalRico wrote:
Speaking of giant penises, what's up with Bobby Simmons?.
bgwizarfan
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#4 » by bgwizarfan » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:54 pm

its not like we'd have to move McGuire to the D league anyway. Even if he didnt make our 12 man playoff roster, he could be "inactive".... with just 13 players total, i can't imagine we'd send mcguire to the D league anyway, plus as the posters above said, look how much that assumes with everyone coming back. I think I'd be keepin Etan on the Inactive List at this point anyway (with Blatche/Songalia/Pech we have plenty of back-up bigs), even if he were to return (who knows how good he'd be anyway)
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#5 » by keynote » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:09 am

hands11 wrote:I say we cross this bridge when it gets here. No telling what may happen between now and then. The future is unknown. For example, you assume we don't have any other injuries so the roster is full.

I guess you're right. What's the point of engaging in speculation on a message board? :wink:

Besides, there's nothing preventing the Wizards from calling McGuire back up from the D-League in case of an injury, right? What I'd like to discuss is whether McGuire would benefit more from a stint in the D-League or from riding the pine and working with Hopla, Ayers & Co. Obviously, current injuries have limited the Wizards' options; we'll never know what EG & EJ's original plans for McGuire were this season had the Wizards started off healthy. But, now that we're at least seeing light at the end of the tunnel with Gil & Etan, it's fun to discuss.
etan4life2
Sophomore

Post#6 » by etan4life2 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:18 am

N1 may soon have to find a new room mate
"Real recognize real" - Tough Juice
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,393

Post#7 » by doclinkin » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:49 am

Won't happen.

EJ doesn't really like the D-League, not the least reason because the Dakota team (last year and previously) doesn't run the same offensive system, so the habits DMac will be learning won't really apply when he's called back up.

Remember this is a system that takes a few years to really 'get'. Granted the team is able to throw young Nick right out there, in some part because he's just got a natural knack for scoring, even if he doesn't know where he's supposed to be on the court & when, still he always knows where the basket is.

DMac though, his raw talents (assists, knack for the ball in traffic) will best serve the team when he's running within a team scheme. In college seems like the Fresno system was: give McGuire the ball and get out the way; here he's got to figure out where best he fits within the offense, with this personnel, find his role as a role-player and get comfortable within the team defense as well, not just camp out near the paint and swoop in for blocks and boards.

Plus, given that one of the knocks on DMac was a shaky jumper, would you rather him try to learn to make a shot in Bismarck? or would you rather have him right here working with the shot doctor Dave Hopla.

I think he'll be alright, but I don't see more benefit in sending him to the hinterlands to play behind Rod Benson than keeping him with the team going up against Caron in practice and learning from the high-octane vets.
JonoMike13
Senior

Post#8 » by JonoMike13 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:43 am

Plus I don't mind a fresh D-Mac pushing our guys in practice while being available in Feb-March when a little rest will prep Jamison for the playoffs.

Return to Washington Wizards