Free Agency Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Re: Free Agency Thread 

Post#761 » by LyricalRico » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:44 pm

BruceO wrote:I'm fascinated by memphis foreign centers, Darko, the iranian center and Marc Gasol. Someones gonna have to play power forward.

Memphis actually could do several things with their roster depending on a few things:

- How many minutes they want to give to Gasol and the Iranian?
- Is Darko better suited at PF or C?
- Do they see Warrick as a SF or PF?
- Will Arthur look like a start in camp?
- Are both Crittenton and Lowry in their future plans?
- What position does Jaric play?

And outside of the regular rotation, Iavaroni has a number of interesting combos he could turn to:

Ultra Big
Gasol
Darko
Warrick
Jaric
Mayo

Ultra Quick
Darko
Warrick
Gay
Lowry
Conley

Ultra Defense
Gasol
Darko
Jaric
Buckner
Lowry

The young kids need to develop but that team could be good sooner rather than later.
Soup's Uncle
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#762 » by Soup's Uncle » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:04 pm

I no longer have faith in EG. I say if Strawberry gets out of Phoenix, he signs with Detroit or San Antonio...sad.
F Street = Wall Street
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#763 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:20 am

Celtics have added Darius Miles.

“Darius has been in twice for workouts with us and has impressed us with his progress, health, and attitude;” said Danny Ainge, Celtics Executive Director of Basketball Operations/General Manager. “Darius will have the next couple of months to prove to myself and Coach Rivers that he can help us win.”

They also added Patrick O'Bryant a while back.

No harm done if either player doesn't pan out.
Bye bye Beal.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#764 » by LyricalRico » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:57 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Celtics have added Darius Miles.

“Darius has been in twice for workouts with us and has impressed us with his progress, health, and attitude;” said Danny Ainge, Celtics Executive Director of Basketball Operations/General Manager. “Darius will have the next couple of months to prove to myself and Coach Rivers that he can help us win.”

They also added Patrick O'Bryant a while back.

No harm done if either player doesn't pan out.

Ainge doing a decent job of adding cheap youth with upside to an older team. Miles, O'Bryant, Giddens, and Walker are all guys who can run with Rondo and could form the nucleus for this team post-Big 3. They still need help in the short term but in the longterm these moves could pay off big time.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#765 » by Dat2U » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:45 pm

My dream scenario right now would involve cutting Dee Brown (we'd only owe him $100K - that's what his deal is guaranteed for) and using a chunk of the money remaining under the luxury tax threshold to sign Shaun Livingston.

His rehabilitation is supposedly going well. He's now at the point where he's playing 5 on 5 games again and doing pretty well from everything I've read. I think there's a decent chance he'll be ready come training camp in 5-6 weeks. I'm not sure if he'll ever regain his incredible quickness or agility he had (which helped him more defensively guarding much smaller PGs) but in reality his game was more cerebral anyways. His length allows him to guard SGs while remaining a true PG in the purest sense. His ability to see the floor is rare, as he has an amazing ability to get open shots for others. He may never be a star now, but with some luck, he could still become a heckuva role player and the ideal backcourt partner alongside Gil.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#766 » by LyricalRico » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:57 pm

Dat2U wrote:My dream scenario right now would involve cutting Dee Brown (we'd only owe him $100K - that's what his deal is guaranteed for) and using a chunk of the money remaining under the luxury tax threshold to sign Shaun Livingston.

Count me in on that one.
lupin
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#767 » by lupin » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:55 am

I understand the tantalization that Livingston presents (and I'm not fan of Dee Brown), but with the Wiz injury history would you really want to add another fragile piece?
------------------------------
New RealGM :: New Coke :: is the suck.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#768 » by mohammed10 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:05 am

lupin wrote:I understand the tantalization that Livingston presents (and I'm not fan of Dee Brown), but with the Wiz injury history would you really want to add another fragile piece?

His youth and his talent make him a tantalizing option...much more so than (Pee Wee) Dee Brown
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#769 » by pancakes3 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:05 am

one of livingston's greatest assets is also his greatest defect. His abnormal agility for a man his size allows him to cut on a dime as quick as a man a foot shorter than he is. However, the conservation of momentum puts a greater strain on the knees consequently, and the resulting torque thereof is also magnified. Because he can physically move his body the way he does, he's also more at risk for the joint injuries of the knees and ankles than any other player. So, buyer beware.

that said, we should still sign him. he could be jared jeffries, only with talent. it would, however, result in EG losing a lot of face so this deal has zippy chance of happening (seeing as how GMs much like grade school teachers, and magicians in Oz must maintain a facade of infallibility).
Bullets -> Wizards
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#770 » by mohammed10 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:10 am

pancakes3 wrote:one of livingston's greatest assets is also his greatest defect. His abnormal agility for a man his size allows him to cut on a dime as quick as a man a foot shorter than he is. However, the conservation of momentum puts a greater strain on the knees consequently, and the resulting torque thereof is also magnified. Because he can physically move his body the way he does, he's also more at risk for the joint injuries of the knees and ankles than any other player. So, buyer beware.

that said, we should still sign him. he could be jared jeffries, only with talent. it would, however, result in EG losing a lot of face so this deal has zippy chance of happening (seeing as how GMs much like grade school teachers, and magicians in Oz must maintain a facade of infallibility).

Totally agree, pancakes - good analysis

:clap:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
fugop
Veteran

Post#771 » by fugop » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:43 pm

The fact that Landry is still out there, just hanging around, is sort of killing me. Since the beginning of the summer, I've thought he was the perfect guy to get as a designated Lebron stopper. We could probably get him for 3 years, 10 million. He has Dominic McGuire level athleticism while being 30 pounds heavier.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#772 » by LyricalRico » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:57 pm

fugop wrote:The fact that Landry is still out there, just hanging around, is sort of killing me. Since the beginning of the summer, I've thought he was the perfect guy to get as a designated Lebron stopper. We could probably get him for 3 years, 10 million. He has Dominic McGuire level athleticism while being 30 pounds heavier.

Shoot, I don't even think it would cost that much at this point. Something like 2 years, $4M would work (and we could afford it if we waived Dee Brown). But I don't see him as a small forward who can guard guys like LeBron on the perimeter. I see him more as a PF, which we are already choc full of.

If were to waive Brown and sign Landry, we'd have to get a backup SF and a third PG from somewhere, probably by trading Songaila+Pesh.
GilArenas88
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#773 » by GilArenas88 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:54 am

I wouldn't mind Landry at all, even if we are packed at PF. Trade Songalia and Pesh if need be to make room, although Song might be hard to trade.

Arenas/Daniels/Brown
Stevenson/Young
Butler/McGuire
Jamison/Landry/Thomas
Haywood/Blatche/McGee

Im really hoping McGuire realy start to fill our hole at back-up SF with his pretty good showing in summer league which he seems to have worked on his J some. Landry would be an excellent edition bring some banging and defensive ability in the paint, I saw some realy good things from him the playoffs when houston faced Utah.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#774 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:12 am

GilArenas88 wrote:I wouldn't mind Landry at all, even if we are packed at PF. Trade Songalia and Pesh if need be to make room, although Song might be hard to trade.

Arenas/Daniels/Brown
Stevenson/Young
Butler/McGuire
Jamison/Landry/Thomas
Haywood/Blatche/McGee

Im really hoping McGuire realy start to fill our hole at back-up SF with his pretty good showing in summer league which he seems to have worked on his J some. Landry would be an excellent edition bring some banging and defensive ability in the paint, I saw some realy good things from him the playoffs when houston faced Utah.

I really don't see EJ demoting Etan to third string PF.

In a vacuum I'd love to bring in Landry... but in the world we live in (EJ's world), Landry would be competing first with Songalia, then Blatche for back up minutes at the 4.

Actually, I'd dislike Songalia less and like Blatche more if each were always playing next to a legitimate center.
In Rizzo we trust
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#775 » by closg00 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:07 pm

I'll wager that Houston cuts DJ Strawberry, it would be nice to groom DJ as our future Bruce Bowen. Peeps on the Suns board really valued his defense.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#776 » by LyricalRico » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:27 pm

closg00 wrote:I'll wager that Houston cuts DJ Strawberry, it would be nice to groom DJ as our future Bruce Bowen. Peeps on the Suns board really valued his defense.

You're probably right. As of now, the Rox have 7 guards on their roster:

McGrady
Alston
Barry
Brooks

Those 4 aren't going anywhere, and look to be the guys who play the most. Here are the other 3:

Francis
Head
Strawberry

With their need for depth up front, they might only keep 1 of those guys, 2 at the most.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#777 » by pancakes3 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:36 pm

On paper from the top down, I think the Rockets are the most talented team in the NBA.

The starting 5 is very good with Alston, McGrady, Artest, Scola, and Yao. The second unit isn't far behind with Aaron Brooks, Brent Barry, Battier, Landry, and Dikembe. When steve francis is 9th on the rotation, that team is stacked. This maybe houston's year. Their guards look to distribute but also shoot well, their swingmen can mix it up from both outside and inside, and their big men are reliable and efficient in the post. And also, the roster are solid defensively through and through.

I've already blown smoke up the Rockets' butt on this board, but I'll blow some more. Their team is being managed masterfully.
Bullets -> Wizards
fugop
Veteran

Post#778 » by fugop » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:44 am

LyricalRico wrote:
fugop wrote:The fact that Landry is still out there, just hanging around, is sort of killing me. Since the beginning of the summer, I've thought he was the perfect guy to get as a designated Lebron stopper. We could probably get him for 3 years, 10 million. He has Dominic McGuire level athleticism while being 30 pounds heavier.

Shoot, I don't even think it would cost that much at this point. Something like 2 years, $4M would work (and we could afford it if we waived Dee Brown). But I don't see him as a small forward who can guard guys like LeBron on the perimeter. I see him more as a PF, which we are already choc full of.

If were to waive Brown and sign Landry, we'd have to get a backup SF and a third PG from somewhere, probably by trading Songaila+Pesh.

He's not a SF, but an extraordinarily mobile, undersized PF is exactly what one wants to guard Lebron. He wouldn't hurt against Pierce or a couple other guys we'll hopefully face in the playoffs.

I've been opposed to giving Butler much run at SG, but I'm plenty comfortable with it if Landry is at one of the forward spots. Against Cleveland, we can stick Jamison on Wallace or Verejao and be done with it.

Landry's the best value left on the market, and he does fill a positional need. I'd prefer a guy like him over a third guard.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,353

Post#779 » by nate33 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:19 pm

Here's a slightly off topic thought:

Darius Songaila has a early termination clause in the last year of his contract. If he declines to exercise it, he'll remain a Wizard in 2011 and be paid $4.8M. I wonder what's the likelihood that he'll exercise that ETO clause? After all, he's a big star in Lithuania and with the way Euro teams are throwing money around, he might be able to make as much, if not more there. Or maybe EG can buy out the last year of Songaila's contract by paying him the difference between what Lithuania would offer and what he's due to get if he stays here.

If he does opt out, or agrees to a cheap buyout, that gives us another expiring contract in 2010 and really put us in great position to take on an overpaid star in the Big Trade in 2009 Strategy.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#780 » by closg00 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:58 pm

nate33 wrote:Here's a slightly off topic thought:

Darius Songaila has a early termination clause in the last year of his contract. If he declines to exercise it, he'll remain a Wizard in 2011 and be paid $4.8M. I wonder what's the likelihood that he'll exercise that ETO clause? After all, he's a big star in Lithuania and with the way Euro teams are throwing money around, he might be able to make as much, if not more there. Or maybe EG can buy out the last year of Songaila's contract by paying him the difference between what Lithuania would offer and what he's due to get if he stays here.

If he does opt out, or agrees to a cheap buyout, that gives us another expiring contract in 2010 and really put us in great position to take on an overpaid star in the Big Trade in 2009 Strategy.

Nah, D-Song stays and then goes to Europe after his contract is up. Song is a great fit for the Euro style of play etc. but he will be 31/32 and he's already a bit slow There's no-way a slow Forward in his 30's is gonna make big bucks in Europe.

Return to Washington Wizards