Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 2.0 

Post#1721 » by Wizardspride » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:43 pm

http://www.testudotimes.com/2014/8/19/6 ... -guarantee

Maryland announces life-time scholarship guarantee for student-athletes

The University of Maryland made an historic announcement Tuesday, becoming one of the first Division I schools to offer a "lifetime degree guarantee" for student-athletes. The guarantee is being dubbed "The Maryland Way Guarantee," and marks an historic step in protecting athletes' rights -- particularly those who suffer serious injury. From the official school release:

Beginning in November of 2014-15, ‘The Maryland Way Guarantee' will provide all incoming student-athletes with a multi-year scholarship guarantee. Pursuant to this program, should a student-athlete exhaust his or her eligibility prior to graduating, Maryland will guarantee his or her aid will continue through graduation. If a student-athlete is injured and unable to compete, we will guarantee his or her aid will continue through graduation.

Maryland will also provide tuition, books and fees for student-athletes who leave the institution in "good academic standing" and return at any time to finish their degree. The school is one of the first to offer a scholarship guarantee for all sports, not just football and basketball.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1722 » by Wizardspride » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:27 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Cassidy_Rob/status/502114899699331072[/tweet]
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1723 » by Wizardspride » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:21 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CHICKatCSN/status/502928700560916480[/tweet]
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1724 » by Wizardspride » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:02 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/romanstubbs/status/502958511735988224[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/insidemdsports/status/502963994672373760[/tweet]
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1725 » by Wizardspride » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:59 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/umterps/status/503179871577968641[/tweet]
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1726 » by Wizardspride » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:46 pm

http://btn.com/2014/08/22/dienharts-201 ... edictions/

Dienhart's 2014 Big Ten football predictions

BIG TEN EAST

1. Michigan State. Look, I liked the Spartans BEFORE Ohio State superstar Braxton Miller was ruled out. Michigan State will have one of the Big Ten’s top offenses. The defense? Well, we know the Spartan brand on that side of the ball. Pay no heed to starters lost. At MSU, it’s plug and play.

2. Ohio State. The loss of Braxton Miller to a season-ending shoulder injury doesn’t mean the sky is falling in Columbus. It only means the ceiling on this season isn’t as high. National championship? Nope. Major bowl bid? Still possible. There is talent, but so many questions: quarterback, running back, o-line, pass defense …

3. Michigan. The scrutiny will be intense on a program that has seen its win total decrease each of the last three seasons under Brady Hoke. The defense looks strong. The offense holds the key. Will the line get a push? This remains a young team. Still, it’s time to stand and deliver in Ann Arbor.

4. Maryland. This is Randy Edsall’s fourth Terps’ squad. And I like it. Lots of veteran talent dots the roster, especially on defense. The offense has some of the best skill in the Big Ten. Label this team a “sleeper.”

5. Penn State. James Franklin has hit State College like a tornado of positivity and energy. Everyone is buying anything he’s selling. Yes, even ketchup popsicles to people wearing white gloves. But depth issues finally may prove to be ruinous to the Nittany Lions, smacking Penn State with an ugly reality: A losing season. Hey, it was bound to happen.

6. Indiana. The Hoosiers were <THISCLOSE> to making a bowl last season, finishing 5-7. Home losses to Navy and Minnesota were killer. Indiana could break through to its first postseason since 2007 if a new
defensive coordinator (Brian Knorr) and scheme (3-4) can improve and complement another electric offense.

7. Rutgers. The good news: The Scarlet Knights have found a strong, stable home in the Big Ten. The bad news: Depth issues across the board and an iffy secondary could prove fatal during Rutgers’ maiden voyage. Did I mention the Scarlet Knights have found a strong, stable home?
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1727 » by Wizardspride » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:12 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/co ... story.html

Maryland’s rare feat: All three of Randy Edsall’s coordinators are African American

A report released last month by the University of Central Florida’s Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport (TIDES) found that 15 of the 125 Football Bowl Subdivision head coaches were minorities in 2013. That number is 14 heading into this season — and alongside Texas, Vanderbilt and Tulane, Maryland is one of four schools in the country to have three minorities in the top four positions on staff.

“The triple [minority coordinators] is rare,” said Floyd Keith, who served as a head coach at Howard and Rhode Island and is a former executive director of the non-profit organization Black Coaches and Administrators. “I think it’s unique. I give credit here to [Randy Edsall].”
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1728 » by Wizardspride » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:51 pm

Click on the link to read the rest.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terp ... 2572.story

Highly touted Terps freshman Jesse Aniebonam could be factor as pass rusher

COLLEGE PARK — Like most football roommates, Maryland linebackers L.A. Goree and Yannik Cudjoe-Virgil constantly talk about football.
Goree and Cudjoe-Virgil talk about practice. They talk about defensive game plans. They talk about what’s going on with the team, and they talk about individual players they have been impressed with.

According to Goree, freshman outside linebacker Jesse Aniebonam is one of the players Cudjoe-Virgil has raved about throughout the summer.

“He is always telling me like, ‘Man, Jesse’s going to be nice. Jesse’s going to be nice,’” Goree said, “and I see it. It’s almost inevitable. With his speed and his size, he can’t be denied.”

Like most freshman, Aniebonam is still learning and adjusting to the college level. He is also continuing to mold his body to be able to hold up physically at this new level. But Maryland coach Randy Edsall expects Aniebonam to have a role this season.

Is Aniebonam ready to contribute in the run game? Probably not.

Is he going to drop back and be reliable in pass coverage? Probably not at this point of his career.

But the 6-foot-3, 240-pound Aniebonam may be the fastest and most athletic of the Terps' linebackers, and he showed during preseason practice that he can do some damage as a pass rusher.

“Jesse is a guy who is very talented,” Edsall said. “He’s very athletic, and he’s a guy that we feel will have an opportunity to be able to contribute in some capacity.

Certain positions and certain things that you do within your scheme will allow guys to maybe get on the field a little bit quicker than maybe at some other positions based on their skill level [and] based on what you do. It might just be one or two situations that those guys can handle, but Jesse is very natural in some of the things that we want him to do.”

Aniebonam was one of the top-rated members of Maryland’s past recruiting class.

Rivals ranked him as a four-star prospect and the second-best recruit in the state of Maryland.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1729 » by Wizardspride » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:54 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ter ... s-madison/

Maryland releases depth chart ahead of opener against James Madison

Maryland Coach Randy Edsall had settled a number of position battles as training camp came to an end last week, but the period of evaluation is over. Maryland released an updated depth chart Monday evening, and there were no Earth-shattering surprises.

Brandon Ross (running back), Andrew Isaacs (tight end) and Silvano Altamirano (left guard) are the projected starters at positions that were wide open when preseason camp opened three weeks ago. Nose tackle is the only position that remains without a clear-cut starter; Keith Bowers and Darius Kilgo are listed as co-starters, and Edsall said last week that the team will rely heavily on both players being in the rotation.

Both Levern Jacobs and Alex Twine, the two upperclassmen who are facing second-degree assault charges, are listed on the two-deep. Jacobs will start at wide receiver, while Twine is a backup inside linebacker.

Stefon Diggs, who received second-team reps during the team’s open scrimmage, will start alongside Jacobs and Deon Long at wide receiver. Diggs is also listed as the team’s kick returner alongside Taivon Jacobs, while corner Will Likely will handle the punt return duties.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1730 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:32 am

At the risk of sounding like I condone crime, I think Maryland should have stuck by this kid.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014 ... ayvon.html

Former Maryland signee Trayvon Reed commits to Auburn

The former Maryland signee committed to Auburn Thursday after meeting with Bruce Pearl and the rest of his staff.

"It was good meeting with him," Reed says. "I didn't know he was that cool of a person before sitting down talking to him. He's a genuine person."

RELATED: Trayvon Reed already doing community service after arrest

He signed with Maryland out of high school, but was unable to enroll at Maryland after he was arrested and charged with second-degree assault, second-degree assault of a police officer and theft under $100 on July 30. He has a court hearing scheduled for Sept. 15 in Hyattsville, Md.

Bruce Pearl and Auburn, no choir boys coach or program ...

I love this comment by ErnestTBassII:
Commit to Maryland...Steal...Get Caught...Attack Police Officer...Commit to Auburn.

The PF named Carter was Reed's HS teammate. Next season this kid will have the theft behind him and I bet he turns into a decent player. Jameis Winston stole a lot more $ worth of crab legs.
Bye bye Beal.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1731 » by Wizardspride » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:46 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:At the risk of sounding like I condone crime, I think Maryland should have stuck by this kid.

The former Maryland signee committed to Auburn Thursday after meeting with Bruce Pearl and the rest of his staff.

"It was good meeting with him," Reed says. "I didn't know he was that cool of a person before sitting down talking to him. He's a genuine person."

He signed with Maryland out of high school, but was unable to enroll at Maryland after he was arrested and charged with second-degree assault, second-degree assault of a police officer and theft under $100 on July 30. He has a court hearing scheduled for Sept. 15 in Hyattsville, Md.

Commit to Maryland...Steal...Get Caught...Attack Police Officer...Commit to Auburn.

The PF named Carter was Reed's HS teammate. Next season this kid will have the theft behind him and I bet he turns into a decent player. Jameis Winston stole a lot more $ worth of crab legs.

They're rumors that Reed probably wouldn't have qualified academically this year.

He was on campus but wasn't officially enrolled in school...and then you add the assault charge on top of it all.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1732 » by Wizardspride » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:54 am

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terp ... 8961.story

Terps football notes on Taivon Jacobs, Nnamdi Egbuaba and Saturday's uniforms

COLLEGE PARK — Maryland redshirt freshman Taivon Jacobs is listed as a backup at wide receiver, but coach Randy Edsall said the Terps have packages to utilize Jacobs' speed and elusiveness.

The 5-foot-9, 160-pound Jacobs is considered the fastest player on the Terps' roster and stood out at times during preseason practice.

“There’ll be things that we have him involved and utilize him,” Edsall said Thursday.

In addition to being a backup at wide receiver, Jacobs -- the younger brother of fellow Terps receiver Levern Jacobs -- is also the backup kick returner behind Stefon Diggs.

Here are some other notes from Edsall's meeting with the media Thursday:

** Freshman linebacker Nnamdi Egbuaba (St. Frances) will undergo shoulder surgery Friday, Edsall said. Egbuaba will not play this season, but Edsall is hopeful Egbuaba will be back in time for spring practice.

** Maryland will wear red jerseys and white pants during Saturday’s opener against James Madison.

** The Terps’ game captains Saturday will be senior quarterback C.J. Brown (offense), senior linebacker L.A. Goree (defense) and kicker junior Brad Craddock (special teams). Senior linebacker Matt Robinson will carry the Maryland flag. Junior running back Albert Reid will carry the American flag.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1733 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:32 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:At the risk of sounding like I condone crime, I think Maryland should have stuck by this kid.

I think it's a safe bet that within a few years, Pearl will lead Auburn to several NCAA violations and various sanctions to the program - while he finds a cozy assistant coach job in the NBA. 10 years from now, he'll go back to a lucrative college coaching job.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1734 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:43 pm

Wizardspride wrote:

They're rumors that Reed probably wouldn't have qualified academically this year.

He was on campus but wasn't officially enrolled in school...and then you add the assault charge on top of it all.

One idea would have been to let Reed pay his own way for one year, and to practice with the team like a redshirt. During that time he could have satisfied academic and legal requirements. He is already doing community service. I believe the Terps missed an opportunity to extend grace to someone who might have repayed the program by succeeding in life and in basketball.

The guy did a dumb or possibly even an evil thing but the program could have seen him through because he committed to the Terps first and he is still 19 years old.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1735 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:03 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:

One idea would have been to let Reed pay his own way for one year, and to practice with the team like a redshirt. During that time he could have satisfied academic and legal requirements. He is already doing community service. I believe the Terps missed an opportunity to extend grace to someone who might have repayed the program by succeeding in life and in basketball.

The guy did a dumb or possibly even an evil thing but the program could have seen him through because he committed to the Terps first and he is still 19 years old.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using RealGM Forums mobile app

He's from Georgia, so he'd be paying out of state tuition to go to Maryland - which would be a small fortune for him to pay. Why do that when he can get a free ride from the Pearl man? If he can't pay for a Twix...

And looking from the academic POV... he apparently had bad enough grades that he wasn't going to make it, so... now that we know he broke the law trying to steal Twix's from the 7-11 near the school, let's give him special treatment because he's 7'1? That's a horrible message for a learning institution to send.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1736 » by Wizardspride » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:39 pm

Click on the link to read.

Maryland defensive coordinator Brian Stewart is bringing Terps family together

Whenever defensive coordinator Brian Stewart’s number appears on Maryland senior cornerback Jeremiah Johnson’s mobile phone, Johnson figures he’ll eat well soon. Johnson is among many members of the football team who often share good food and laughs over dinner at Stewart’s house. The Terrapins never tire of those reps.

“He’ll just text and say, ‘Hey, we’re gonna get the guys together this weekend,’ ” Johnson said the other day at Byrd Stadium. “The fact that he opens the doors of his home and his wife cooks for us . . . you really feel like it’s a family.”

Stewart, who engineered an eye-opening turnaround on defense after arriving in College Park, enters his third season leading young men whom he views as his sons. Unlike some coaches who believe players respond best to shouting, Stewart would rather embrace than intimidate. Stewart, though, is no pushover, players say. He follows a simple philosophy he learned from his mentor, former NFL coach Wade Phillips: If you show players you care about them, most will follow you anywhere.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1737 » by Wizardspride » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:40 pm

Stefon Diggs keeps memories of father in moving on from injury and toward stardom

Stefon Diggs was six years into his football career the first time his father, Aron, gave him a compliment about his play. It came on a peewee field in Montgomery County. Diggs lowered his shoulder on a sweep play and ran over another teenage defender before looking over to the sideline and seeing rare joy on his father’s face.

“My dad was real hard on me. He wasn’t really big on congratulating and stuff like that,” Diggs said. “That was a proud moment.”

A few years later, in January 2008, the man who started Diggs in football was gone. Aron Diggs, who died of congestive heart failure at 39, would never see his son turn into a prodigy at prep powerhouse Good Counsel. He would never be able to sift through hundreds of recruiting letters with Stefon, or watch him have one of the most prolific freshman seasons in Maryland football history in 2012. And he would never be able to help his son through one of the most difficult years of his life, which started when he broke his leg on an overcast Saturday last October at Wake Forest.

“He made me the man I am,” Diggs said of his father.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1738 » by Wizardspride » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:07 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/insidemdsports/status/505471077280018432[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/insidemdsports/status/505474838480175105[/tweet]
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1739 » by Wizardspride » Mon Sep 1, 2014 8:54 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RandyEdsall/status/506531908407529472[/tweet]
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1740 » by Wizardspride » Tue Sep 2, 2014 5:39 pm

http://www.testudotimes.com/2014/9/2/60 ... e-receiver

Maryland football: True freshman QB Will Ulmer moving to WR

True freshman Will Ulmer, one of Maryland's top signees in the 2014 class, will move from quarterback to wide receiver. Head coach Randy Edsall announced the move at his weekly media availability Tuesday.

Previously, Edsall said Ulmer would stay at quarterback until "he comes to me and tells me he doesn't want to be a quarterback." Called by some as the fastest player on Maryland's roster, many analysts predicted Ulmer would be better suited for a skill position in college, due to his speed and troubles with his throwing motion. With Maryland's recent departures at the wide receiver position, the move makes a whole lot of sense.

This does not necessarily mean Ulmer will see playing time this season, but it certainly improves his chances. Maryland still has a full two-deep at receiver, with an excellent starting corps of Stefon Diggs, Deon Long and Marcus Leak backed up by Jacquille Veii, Amba Etta-Tawo and Malcolm Culmer -- all of whom have seen significant game action. Ulmer and fellow highly-touted true freshman Juwann Winfree stand right behind that group, and could see time if Maryland decides they need that extra depth

Return to Washington Wizards