ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Maryland Terps Thread 2.0

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

spaceman_E
Sixth Man
And1: 30

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 2.0 

Post#61 » by spaceman_E » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:03 pm

You're right miller, even with all the other stuff, if our 90% shooters hit their FTs we win this game.

The ACC games in general have all been quite depressing so far.
We should have beat GT by 15 at home. We should have beat Miami on the road. We could have easily stolen this game and with UVA at home we'd be looking at 4-0. Instead it's 1-2, lost 3 of 4 and we have to go to Cameron next Saturday.
Vasquez was even getting really good looks today and still missing. Not the usual chucking he does 4-5 times per game. The refs have also been consistently awful the last few games. The only time they blow a whistle is reach ins, charges, and terrible off ball calls. I don't think either team shot a FT in the 1st half. Both "charges" against Bowie in the 1st half were BS and we saw that come back to bite us when he fouled out with 4 minutes left.
You don't win friends with salad.
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#62 » by Scabs304 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:49 am

Terps basketball remind me to much of Terps football. All so rollercoaster it hurts. I know we have not front court (Milbourne and Vasquez actually start there), but really can we not just finish games off and win when we should win?
I am Scabs.
Scabs304
General Manager

Post#63 » by Scabs304 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:53 pm

Gag me with a spoon. End of rant.
I am Scabs.
spaceman_E
Sixth Man

Post#64 » by spaceman_E » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:58 pm

Okay people, move it along, nothing to see here.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#65 » by Kanyewest » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:58 pm

85-44?? Good thing I forgot about this game..
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#66 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:09 pm

I didn't see this game, but it sounds brutal.

After watching a handful of MD games and a few G-town games this year, something ironic occurred to me: If MD and G-town switched coaches and schemes, I think each would be a lot better.

MD: The Terps personnel mix screams for the Princeton offense... guard-oriented, a few good spot up three ball shooters, a center who can pass and draw opponents away from the basket, not-so-big or good defensively so that taking up shot clock on each possession would limit opponents' time on offense.

G-town: a potentially dominant center. Some good ball-hawking perimeter players. A really gifted swing man. These guys would thrive in Gary Williams' up-tempo system that, when forced to play half court sets, puts a premium on playing inside-out. Monroe would do really well... he is, imo, wasted in G-town's offensive scheme.

This kind of irony is one reason I've come to be only mildly interested in the college game. It is too much about the coach and his system... and not about the actual talent you have on the floor.

What do you all think? Would G-town's players do well in MD's system and vice-versa? Is JTIII's system too much of a glass ceiling for really talented teams?
In Rizzo we trust
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#67 » by miller31time » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:25 pm

The Terps just fail at basketball.
P'Oed
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#68 » by P'Oed » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:21 pm

somebody kill me please, oh somebody kill me pleaaaaaaaase
I'm on my knees, pretty pretty please, kiiiiiiiiiiill me
I want to dieeeeeeeee, put a bullet in my heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeead

and that's my sports fan year in a nutshell
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#69 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:19 am

It's really simple.

Fire Gary.
Bye bye Beal.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#70 » by Benjammin » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:22 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:It's really simple.

Fire Gary.

Make it so, Number 1.
Scabs304
General Manager

Post#71 » by Scabs304 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:41 pm

I hate to say this, but I'm starting to go to the dark side and believe a losing season this year and he will probally be fired. If the Terps come out flat in the next game I believe we are definitly headed to that.
I am Scabs.
P'Oed
Rookie

Post#72 » by P'Oed » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:15 pm

well...goodbye to another season. Look for something big to happen this offseason. If this school has any sort of pride they'll do something about these past 7 or so years of complete frustration and mediocrity.
RealGM

Post#73 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:41 pm

Wojo over at Duke or Chris Collins are two assistants I'd hope the Terps interview after Gary gets fired right after this season's over.

Seven years is a cycle of completion and I believe Williams has ridden the 2002 NCAA Championship wave long enough. He's done squat since and his players don't graduate (except to play pro ball a good many). This is the time to bring in a young guy like Wojo.
Bye bye Beal.
go'stags
Sixth Man
And1: 29

Post#74 » by go'stags » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:14 am

I have long been a Gary supporter, and still think he is a hell of a coach, but he needs to go. There is no excuse for UMD to not be consistently in the top then with the talent base in this area. Any coach would love to coach here with this local talent. But Gary refuses to put in the time neccesary to recruit and no elite players want to play for him. I think its time to move on, just not with a Duke guy =).
LyricalRico wrote:
Speaking of giant penises, what's up with Bobby Simmons?.
spaceman_E
Sixth Man

Post#75 » by spaceman_E » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:17 am

I suppose winning the schools' first ACC tournament in the last 25 years counts as nothing CCJ? Also the only school not named UNC or Duke to win it in the last 12 years. I think that counts as something.

Gary is not the person out there building big leads and then all of a sudden forgetting how to play basketball. Other than sitting Landon too long in the 2nd half w/3fouls and not playing tucker a couple minutes, I actually thought his rotations were spot on. What this team needs is someone 6' 10 who isn't a complete stiff and a shooter who isn't afraid to shoot. Gary isn't the one shooting under 40% as a team.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#76 » by Rafael122 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:10 am

But he's the one who accepted these players. It really all boils down to recruiting. Gary, as a coach, is fine. Gary, as a recruiter, sucks. Hence why you get these guys who look like they couldn't start on a JV squad. Not to mention he recruits shady players. That Korean player, remember when they made a big fuss about the first Korean player in college basketball? Ineligible apparently. A year wasted, just like that. Gilchrist, Evans, etc. He recruits kids with shady pasts and then not expect anything to come up.

On top of that, he doesn't close the deal. If I'm a guy like Kevin Durant, the last thing I want to see is Keith Booth in my living room selling me on the program. I want the coach, not the 4th assistant coach.

So yes, that pretty much what it all boils down to, recruiting. Recruit better players, you get better results. Look at Georgetown, they had crap. Started with Green and Hibbert and then you had an influx of talent coming in every year.

He's also publicly clashing with the associate AD. The writing is on the wall. The great thing is the local media is starting to realize this, so the faster it gets done, the quicker the program can get turned around. The program needs a new voice.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
P'Oed
Rookie

Post#77 » by P'Oed » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:39 am

you don't repeatedly blow leads like this if you're a well-coached team. You just don't. Yeah, his recruiting is the main problem but no one can tell me that his coaching isn't getting progressively worse every year.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#78 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:49 am

Rafael122 wrote:
He's also publicly clashing with the associate AD. The writing is on the wall. The great thing is the local media is starting to realize this, so the faster it gets done, the quicker the program can get turned around.

With a national championship on your resume, you can survive some lean years and even some recruits not making the grade... but, methinks you can't survive a public row like he is engaged in now.

Gary has flipped. It seems as if he is asking to be fired... it's a cry for help and he needs a hug.
In Rizzo we trust
RealGM

Post#79 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:21 am

spaceman_E wrote:I suppose winning the schools' first ACC tournament in the last 25 years counts as nothing CCJ? Also the only school not named UNC or Duke to win it in the last 12 years. I think that counts as something.

Gary is not the person out there building big leads and then all of a sudden forgetting how to play basketball. Other than sitting Landon too long in the 2nd half w/3fouls and not playing tucker a couple minutes, I actually thought his rotations were spot on. What this team needs is someone 6' 10 who isn't a complete stiff and a shooter who isn't afraid to shoot. Gary isn't the one shooting under 40% as a team.

What Gary did was historic. So was the collapse of the program after winning ACC tournament and NCAAs. Never seen a team go belly up so fast. UNC and Duke traditionally are winners. UMCP is not good for much better than the NITs lately.

What Maryland needs is a coach that can recruit guys bigs who are not stiffs and guys like Beasley, Durant, etc who can practically walk to UMCP from where they live.
Bye bye Beal.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#80 » by miller31time » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:26 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:What Gary did was historic. So was the collapse of the program after winning ACC tournament and NCAAs. Never seen a team go belly up so fast. UNC and Duke traditionally are winners. UMCP is not good for much better than the NITs lately.

What Maryland needs is a coach that can recruit guys bigs who are not stiffs and guys like Beasley, Durant, etc who can practically walk to UMCP from where they live.

I'm certainly not going to argue that UMD's scouting needs revamping, but I can understand why we're not heavily going after the huge names like Durant and Beasley -- because UMD puts a lot of value on players they know are going to stay longer than a year.

Return to Washington Wizards