ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Maryland Terps Thread 2.0

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,497

Official Maryland Terps Thread 2.0 

Post#1 » by closg00 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:11 pm

I see that Nik Caner-Medley is on the Lakers Summer League squad, probably just a practice guy, but he has been playing overseas for a few years so who knows?
http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/08summer ... oster.html
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 2.0 

Post#2 » by Halcyon » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:26 pm

Ekene Ibekwe and DJ Strawberry are playing together on the Suns summer league squad.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,962

Post#3 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:34 pm

Looks like the Terps got one to qualify academically! Hope he doesn't transfer soon.

DJ got paid a year, but has stiff competition to make the Suns this season. I think Terry Porter will like him, though, and that could help.

I always thought both NCM and Ibekwe had NBA talent.

Nik IMO has to get past the anti-white guy bias I think exists in the NBA. He's got the talent to score but not much footspeed at SF. He'll be perceived a stiff until somebody takes a liking to him.

Ekene has an unorthodox game and not much offense-- he'll have a hard time making it in the NBA. He's a rebounder and a shotblocker who can defend. Because he's a slight, SF/PF tweener I think he probably won't make it professionally except in a lower league overseas.

I was expecting his international play with Nigeria might have given him some good points with GMs last year, but I guess not. I shouldn't write him off entirely, though, because he's talented enough to make it with the right team. I think Ibekwe rebounds and defends better than Songaila at the same position, and that Ekene might be able to play SF better.
Bye bye Beal.
spaceman_E
Sixth Man
And1: 30

Post#4 » by spaceman_E » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:38 pm

I think it's going to be a rough year after losing the big man from Tech and the JUCO guard they had coming in. They lost Gist and Boom and there's really no help on the way. On the bright side, I think Milbourne will really be a player this year. Tucker, Bowie and Burney all showed flashes. Maybe the record improves if those 4 turn into real players and we let Vasquez go wild, but that's a lot of ifs. I think Gary should mix it up and go with a four guard lineup. At least at times, let Tucker and Milbourne man the 4 and just try to outrun teams.
You don't win friends with salad.
southnc
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#5 » by southnc » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:36 am

What I would like to see from the Terps is some consistency. Last year, how many games did they blow after building strong leads? :roll: They would always run out of gas in the 2nd half.

They need to play a consistent game, whereby they build a lead and maintain it to the end. That will give them the confidence to compete. Maybe Williams should tame down the manic defense that he likes to play - expels too much energy imo.
spaceman_E
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by spaceman_E » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:19 am

There was no consistency, because there was no depth. Every player on the bench was a freshman except Neal who was injured for the early part of the season. Our starting SF was basically a freshman too, having played only a handful of minutes the year before. Boom and Gist essentially had to play as many minutes as they could and if they got in foul trouble then forget about it. We also started the only "PGs" on our team so there was no one there off the bench. They need Walker to hit the weight room and find the cafeteria. They need Dupree to find the treadmill. They need Bowie to watch some John Stockton PG instructional videos(This wouldn't hurt Greivis either). Gary just doesn't have the personnel for his system. He needs to be about 8-10 deep with quality guys. Blame it on his recruiting but it is what it is and I predict the same issues coming up this year.
Halcyon
Veteran

Post#7 » by Halcyon » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:20 am

southnc wrote:What I would like to see from the Terps is some consistency. Last year, how many games did they blow after building strong leads? :roll: They would always run out of gas in the 2nd half.

They need to play a consistent game, whereby they build a lead and maintain it to the end. That will give them the confidence to compete. Maybe Williams should tame down the manic defense that he likes to play - expels too much energy imo.

Quite frankly it really had nothing to do with their style of play, rather their incredible lack of depth. Unless Bowie and Tucker made huge leaps this offseason, this will be a rough year.

Edit: Beaten to it by spaceman :)

Oh by the way, Walker has transferred to Loyola.
spaceman_E
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by spaceman_E » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:27 am

Halcyon wrote:Oh by the way, Walker has transferred to Loyola.

Sonuva...
I thought he had some potential as a shot blocker. He also seemed pretty fast for his size.
Halcyon
Veteran

Post#9 » by Halcyon » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:36 am

Yeah he had nice potential as an energy guy off the bench, I heard there were some personal problems or something like that, which led to his transfer.

It looks like we're getting another bigman for next year though, named Steve Goins.
http://maryland.scout.com/2/766140.html
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#10 » by 80sballboy » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:00 am

It looks like NIT again for the Terps. I've been following the Terps since the Lucas, Davis, Howard days of the 70s. I never would have imagined that they would have gotten to the situation where they are looking at four of five NITs after winning the title in 2002. The recruiting for the 2008-09 season is such a big mess that it's still matriculating as we speak.

Steve Goins, a 6-9, 250-pound center from Chicago will probably be the third Md recruit after they get Sean Mosley and Jin Soo-Kim through. Not a sterling class to say the least. Goins and I've never seen him play, is not expected to be an impact player right away. He's more of a project, but they are so thin up front after losing Gist, Osby and now Walker, that they needed a big body to give them practice time and a few minutes a game.

Mosley can play. I'm from Baltimore and he's the kind of tough guy they need on the perimeter, who's not afraid to mix it up. Still, they could have used a more athletic point guard or win. Hayes and Vasquez are so slow. I think you'll see more of a small, scrappy unit (yes small ball) with Landon Milbourne at the 4 spot and Vasquez playing the 3. I think Mosley will get a lot of time in the rotation and they will need big improvements from Bowie, Tucker, Dupree and Burney if they have any chance of even pushing for the NCAA's.
RealGM

Post#11 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:31 pm

southnc wrote:What I would like to see from the Terps is some consistency. Last year, how many games did they blow after building strong leads? :roll: They would always run out of gas in the 2nd half.

Perhaps, but Gary's had success with the trapping in the past. I believe Bowie will turn into a very good player for Gary. Williams will use Bowie like he did DJ Strawbery, Laron Profit, and Johnny Rhodes in the past, IMO. All those guys could defend on the perimeter and they became favorites of Gary.

Because the Terps are so small, I see them using three guards and somebody like Dave Neal in the post, which won't get it done against the big boys in the ACC on a regular basis. However, they could, if the athleticism on the wings improves a bit with Milburn and Bowie, surprise teams.

Villanova had a lot of success with good smalls like Lowry and Foye years back. That's the kind of "manic defense" that Gary needs to have, but he'll need depth to get that down.

Vasquez also must not turn the ball over. If the Terps secure the ball better, and if they trap well, and if they can get a big who can find a way to score efficiently in the flex despite the losses of Boom and Gist-- WHOA, that's a lot of ifs -- they can be better. :oops:
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#12 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:34 pm

spaceman_E wrote:There was no consistency, because there was no depth. Every player on the bench was a freshman except Neal who was injured for the early part of the season. Our starting SF was basically a freshman too, having played only a handful of minutes the year before. Boom and Gist essentially had to play as many minutes as they could and if they got in foul trouble then forget about it. We also started the only "PGs" on our team so there was no one there off the bench. They need Walker to hit the weight room and find the cafeteria. They need Dupree to find the treadmill. They need Bowie to watch some John Stockton PG instructional videos(This wouldn't hurt Greivis either). Gary just doesn't have the personnel for his system. He needs to be about 8-10 deep with quality guys. Blame it on his recruiting but it is what it is and I predict the same issues coming up this year.

Much better said than my post -- you've got the Terps pegged, spaceman_E.

The need depth and their bigs that must emerge from Boom and Gist, bonafide athletes at that level, must develop physically and in a hurry.

Expect a lot of problems of the same variety this seaon. I agree, spaceman.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#13 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:41 pm

80sballboy wrote:It looks like NIT again for the Terps. I've been following the Terps since the Lucas, Davis, Howard days of the 70s. I never would have imagined that they would have gotten to the situation where they are looking at four of five NITs after winning the title in 2002. The recruiting for the 2008-09 season is such a big mess that it's still matriculating as we speak.

Steve Goins, a 6-9, 250-pound center from Chicago will probably be the third Md recruit after they get Sean Mosley and Jin Soo-Kim through. Not a sterling class to say the least. Goins and I've never seen him play, is not expected to be an impact player right away. He's more of a project, but they are so thin up front after losing Gist, Osby and now Walker, that they needed a big body to give them practice time and a few minutes a game.

Mosley can play. I'm from Baltimore and he's the kind of tough guy they need on the perimeter, who's not afraid to mix it up. Still, they could have used a more athletic point guard or win. Hayes and Vasquez are so slow. I think you'll see more of a small, scrappy unit (yes small ball) with Landon Milbourne at the 4 spot and Vasquez playing the 3. I think Mosley will get a lot of time in the rotation and they will need big improvements from Bowie, Tucker, Dupree and Burney if they have any chance of even pushing for the NCAA's.

80s, I hope you're right about Moseley, and agree a small, scrappy unit is the Terps best bet this season.
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,497

Post#14 » by closg00 » Fri Aug 8, 2008 8:32 pm

According to the Spurs board, James Gist is signing with a team in Italy. First Boykins, now Gist goes to Italy. Kobe says he will go to Italy for $50 mil.
Halcyon
Veteran

Post#15 » by Halcyon » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:24 pm

Jordan Steffy named the starter... :nonono: :banghead: :evil:
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,853

Post#16 » by Wizardspride » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:38 am

Halcyon wrote:Jordan Steffy named the starter... :nonono: :banghead: :evil:

For some reason Coach Friedgen has a hard-on for Steffy. :dontknow:
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Halcyon
Veteran

Post#17 » by Halcyon » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:32 am

This will make or break Fridge's remaining stay here. If Steffy flops badly and we struggle this season, I think Fridge has to go.
RealGM

Post#18 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:43 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Halcyon wrote:Jordan Steffy named the starter... :nonono: :banghead: :evil:

For some reason Coach Friedgen has a hard-on for Steffy. :dontknow:

Steffy looks really bad vs Delaware. Throwing it up for grabs time after time.
Bye bye Beal.
Halcyon
Veteran

Post#19 » by Halcyon » Mon Sep 1, 2008 3:22 am

I think our QB situation is just...really bad right now. Nobody really looks ready.

Meanwhile, our running game... :rocking:
lupin
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#20 » by lupin » Sun Sep 7, 2008 1:38 am

Geez, the Terps are getting spanked by East Middle Tennessee St or whatever. Damn, it sucks to be a DC-metro sports fan these days.
------------------------------
New RealGM :: New Coke :: is the suck.

Return to Washington Wizards