ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Maryland Terps Thread 2.0

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 2.0 

Post#1281 » by Higga » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:00 pm

I love Turgeon. Eff coddling, sometimes you gotta be brutally honest and bring out the whip.

Unfortunately I think they're done after the BC loss. Season's over.

Go Georgetown I guess. :\
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#1282 » by Halcyon » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:03 pm

Screw Georgetown
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1283 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:12 am

Terps back in the day. Lefty Driesell, Ben Coleman, Adrian Branch, Len (Leonard is what Lefty called him) Bias getting the 1984 ACC tourney trophy from Duke Ziebert.

Bias was not yet the big star, but I remember that year in the NCAAs he played well when Maryland lost to Olajuwon and Drexler's Phi Slama Jama team. That Maryland team beat Jimmy V's NC State National Champion team three times. That Terrapin Team would destroy this year's team.

Lefty the other day, aged 81, as the Terps finally honored him. Old Lefty spoke to the team after their win over Clemson. Time doesn't wait for any of us.

I remember Bias as he was in that picture above like it was just yesterday. He was usually in the middle campus between classes and he seemed to always be upbeat and friendly. I was really in awe of him and I remember he spoke to me one day. Honestly, I was so shocked, I don't even remember what he said but I came away thinking Bias was very down to earth. He was not full of himself at all even though by then he was a big time star.

I never will forget the day he died. Disbelief and sadness all mixed in with shock. He seemed invincible and that just wasn't something you expected. Lefty had two other players die on the campus, but they died earlier, in the 70s. Chris Patton and Owen Brown both died playing pickup ball.

Patton suffered from Marfan Syndrome.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm

Tragically, such was the case with [Flo] Hyman. A similar case involved a University of Maryland basketball player 10 years ago. Chris Patton, a 6'9" sophomore, had just finished his second season with the Terrapins. Patton's coach, Lefty Driesell, recalls what happened: "The season was over, and the nets were up on some outdoor courts near the stadium. Chris lived nearby. It was a pickup game, and he went up for a dunk. They told me he was dead before he hit the ground." An autopsy showed young Patton's aorta had burst because of the lifelong weakening effects of Marfan's. No hint of the illness had been detected before he died.

http://www.pwhoops.com/all-time.htm

Owen [Brown] played at the University of Maryland and was drafted in the 1975 NBA Draft by the Phoenix Suns before having his promising career cut short in a fatal heart attack.

Time marches on.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1284 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:58 am

Maryland 2 of 16 from 3 so far - in the process of losing to 14-12 Georgia Tech. When you get basically no 3's and no transition baskets, you're chances of winning are not real good. That is Coach Turgeon basketball at Maryland, so far.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
RealGM

Post#1285 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:13 am

Alex Len is going to break some hearts in the NBA. He is a bit overrated and then some. Sadly, he's not a great player.

Turge's offense is suck. Gary was a better coach. I hope they get a PG next season.

This season is turning disappointing.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1286 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:32 am

Len still doesn't understand sealing off his man so that he can create a lane for entry passes. That causes a lot of the turnovers that MD guards get charged with. They're trying to get him the ball, but he's got to help them out a little bit.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
RealGM

Post#1287 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Mar 7, 2013 1:55 am

Good riddance is all I can say watching the Terps lose at College Park to the Tar Heels.

Alex Len is massively overrated. He is okay defensively but will be a stiff at the next level. Seth Allen is a hugely disappointing player. I've never seen a team turn it over with bad passes like Maryland. They don't belong in the NCAA tournament.

Turgeon coached poorly today. Faust, Padgett, Len, Layman, Wells are the guys who need to stay on the court. Pe'Shon Howard is terrible and I hope he doesn't return.

This Terps team disappointed the heck out of me.
Bye bye Beal.
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,220

Post#1288 » by MikeTheKid » Thu Mar 7, 2013 3:42 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Good riddance is all I can say watching the Terps lose at College Park to the Tar Heels.

Alex Len is massively overrated. He is okay defensively but will be a stiff at the next level. Seth Allen is a hugely disappointing player. I've never seen a team turn it over with bad passes like Maryland. They don't belong in the NCAA tournament.

Turgeon coached poorly today. Faust, Padgett, Len, Layman, Wells are the guys who need to stay on the court. Pe'Shon Howard is terrible and I hope he doesn't return.

This Terps team disappointed the heck out of me.

THIS

This team has been terrible this year. Cleare has been a non factor, Len is losing me, Seth has been inconsistent but may be better next year, Faust is overrated and Pe'Shon is GAWD AWFUL!!! NIT here we come

Im praying Roddy Peters comes in next year and makes an impact!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1289 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 7, 2013 4:11 am

The disturbing thing is - there's been no improvement the entire season - with the exception of maybe 2 games. Again, I like Turgeon's honesty, but... when you're that negative all season long - and he was extremely negative in the press all season long (at least he was on his weekly radio show on WTEM - in spite of Johnny Holiday's efforts to get him to be positive)... we saw the results.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1290 » by Wizardspride » Thu Mar 7, 2013 4:42 am

Ruzious wrote:The disturbing thing is - there's been no improvement the entire season - with the exception of maybe 2 games. Again, I like Turgeon's honesty, but... when you're that negative all season long - and he was extremely negative in the press all season long (at least he was on his weekly radio show on WTEM - in spite of Johnny Holiday's efforts to get him to be positive)... we saw the results.

Yeah, that's one of my problems with him.

I don't like how he calls out players publicly.

Not cool...at all.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#1291 » by Halcyon » Thu Mar 7, 2013 10:30 pm

That's been his MO for a while. It works when the players respond well to it, but looks disastrous when they are not playing well. I'm willing to give him one more year to move in the right direction, but this year looked pretty bad on him, with the 10 man rotation (and propensity to take out guys who are doing well), lack of offensive execution, and overall lack of improvement from his players since the year started.
RealGM

Post#1292 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:10 am

Okay, this win over Wake Forest was about 25% good. For the first 32 minutes or so I could barely watch it was so bad. Turnovers galore per usual plagued the Terps.

The last 8 minutes, however, they valued the basketball. Dez Wells was tremendous. He had some key dunks that turned the momentum around. Pe'Shon looked really good. Faust has improved this season. Seth Allen played under control down the stretch. Even though Len was a non-factor, Mitchell, Padgett, and Cleare defended well.

The real news is they get to play Duke a third time. Maryland will probably get killed. I'm just curious about Plumlee vs Len. Also, Pe'Shon looks like he has his confidence back. Altogether different vibe from him. I'm looking forward to the Duke game.
Bye bye Beal.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1293 » by Wizardspride » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:57 am

http://www.testudotimes.com/2013/3/14/4 ... -bombshell

Tim Brando Drops Turgeon Bombshell

Tim Brando was just on Sirius and dropped a bomb! He relayed that thru his "sources" Turgeon has communicated to Anderson that he is not at all happy with the forthcoming move to the Big 10 and that Turgeon has been communicating to fellow coaches that he did not sign up to coach in the Big 10 (that he only wants to be in the Big 12 or the ACC. Brando also said that Turgeon is growing concerned about recruiting local kids and continuing to try and lock down the DMV (stay at home movement) because they don't want to play in the Big 10. Brando stated Turgeon is also very concerned about how the move has already affected recruiting and he has been trying to use Victor Oladipo as a selling point to local recruits, but there not buying it and he knows its going to have a dramatic impact on recruiting in the future. Brando even went so far as to say that Turgeon has told Anderson he is going to look at "his options" when the season ends and that besides potentially looking at other opportunities, he might go to UNC and work under Roy Williams.

Needless to say, I am not happy typing this and it literally floored me! I don't think anyone has heard a peep that Turge was anything but happy in College Park and I am assuming the move to the Big 10 was discussed at length with him before it happened. It all just seems to have come out of nowhere (but these things typically do).

Does Brando have an axe to grind with UMD? Any dots to connect there? Again, I could not have been more floored to hear this.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
MikeTheKid
Head Coach

Post#1294 » by MikeTheKid » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:23 am

Doesn't surprise me, I honestly figured no matter what Turgeon would leave either this year or next. Turgeon said on the radio it was a money move and there was nothing he could do but accept it and with the many Big 10 guys going to the league this year I think the conference is going to take a step back next year. When Turge came on I think the fact of coaching in the ACC and the rivalries and big games against Coach K and Roy intrigued him more. I think nobody signed up for the Big 10 but when your money hungry you gotta deal with it.

With Brando saying it I know its true Brando is a very reliable and respected outlet in College BB.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1295 » by FAH1223 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:05 am

That sucks because I like Turgeon and think he can get us back into the tournament.
RealGM

Post#1296 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:04 am

MikeTheKid wrote:Doesn't surprise me, I honestly figured no matter what Turgeon would leave either this year or next. Turgeon said on the radio it was a money move and there was nothing he could do but accept it and with the many Big 10 guys going to the league this year I think the conference is going to take a step back next year. When Turge came on I think the fact of coaching in the ACC and the rivalries and big games against Coach K and Roy intrigued him more. I think nobody signed up for the Big 10 but when your money hungry you gotta deal with it.

With Brando saying it I know its true Brando is a very reliable and respected outlet in College BB.

I think you're absolutely right. Turgeon's family was happy at TX A&M, and he had a winning program. He was really upset with the UMCP students talking him way down when his family was in the stands. Turgeon hates this job IMO. I can read his negativity on the sidelines as his players are turning the ball over repeatedly.

I expect Turgeon will leave. I won't be too upset, either.

I thought he was the guy to take the program a long ways. However, I'm not impressed with how negative Turgeon is and how disorganized this team is. The only way I see anything good happening is if the Terps beat Duke and win the next game, and possibly take the ACC Tourney.

As things stand I expect Turgeon will bolt and Shaq Cleare will be one who transfers, if not more. Len hasn't been the man and I think he was Gary's recruit, which might have something to do with his lack of growth as a player this season under Turgeon. Stoglin leaving the way he did turned out to hurt the program a lot. The academic standards might be affecting recruiting--so there are many reasons Turgeon might want to go.

We shall see what happens. Not surprised to learn of Turgeon's dissatisfaction.

I think the Harrison Twins not coming also is a big part of why Turgeon is going. No way he leaves if they come to UMCP next season.
Bye bye Beal.
MikeTheKid
Head Coach

Post#1297 » by MikeTheKid » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:59 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
MikeTheKid wrote:Doesn't surprise me, I honestly figured no matter what Turgeon would leave either this year or next. Turgeon said on the radio it was a money move and there was nothing he could do but accept it and with the many Big 10 guys going to the league this year I think the conference is going to take a step back next year. When Turge came on I think the fact of coaching in the ACC and the rivalries and big games against Coach K and Roy intrigued him more. I think nobody signed up for the Big 10 but when your money hungry you gotta deal with it.

I think you're absolutely right. Turgeon's family was happy at TX A&M, and he had a winning program. He was really upset with the UMCP students talking him way down when his family was in the stands. Turgeon hates this job IMO. I can read his negativity on the sidelines as his players are turning the ball over repeatedly.

I expect Turgeon will leave. I won't be too upset, either.

I thought he was the guy to take the program a long ways. However, I'm not impressed with how negative Turgeon is and how disorganized this team is. The only way I see anything good happening is if the Terps beat Duke and win the next game, and possibly take the ACC Tourney.

As things stand I expect Turgeon will bolt and Shaq Cleare will be one who transfers, if not more. Len hasn't been the man and I think he was Gary's recruit, which might have something to do with his lack of growth as a player this season under Turgeon. Stoglin leaving the way he did turned out to hurt the program a lot. The academic standards might be affecting recruiting--so there are many reasons Turgeon might want to go.

We shall see what happens. Not surprised to learn of Turgeon's dissatisfaction.

I think the Harrison Twins not coming also is a big part of why Turgeon is going. No way he leaves if they come to UMCP next season.

This x100 and I don't remember where I heard this (CBS or ESPN) but I remember someone saying that MD was more of a stopgap job for something bigger for him or it was like a Lane Kiffin type situation where he just bolts for a bigger school. Something to the effect of was MD the big time college it used to be and would he be satisfied there. I don't remember where I heard it but it happened so fast I was shocked it was said and from there on looking at Turge's demeanor and the events unfolding I knew it would probably be a wrap for him.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#1298 » by Rafael122 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:32 pm

Another example of the grass isn't always greener on the other side. It sounded like he had a good thing going at College Station.

I think Maryland has a shot at being a solid program in the Big 10. Outside of the first four or five teams, the B1G bball conference isn't that great.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
RealGM

Post#1299 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:53 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Another example of the grass isn't always greener on the other side. It sounded like he had a good thing going at College Station.

I think Maryland has a shot at being a solid program in the Big 10. Outside of the first four or five teams, the B1G bball conference isn't that great.

Raffy, one of the first things that happened when Turgeon came to Maryland was Delonte Hill, a top assistant got a DUI.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-0 ... rk-turgeon

This was Hill's first offense since coming back to Maryland, where he grew up, from Kansas State, where he was one of the highest paid assistants in the country (a reported $425,000 annually) and most noted for recruiting Michael Beasley and a couple of other members of the DC Assault AAU team. Hill had DUI offense while at Kansas State.

Hill came to Maryland with Turgeon amid much fanfare. Though he isn't making as much money as he did at K-State -- $300,000 according to the contract The Sun's Jeff Barker obtained last summer -- Hill is beileved to be making nearly as much if not more than Williams' entire staff was earning when he retired. That translates into pressure to produce, and so far Maryland's recruits for next season are tied to Turgeon, assistant coach Scott Spinelli and Bino Ranson, the only assistant retained from Williams' staff.

The grass might have looked greener from College Station, but when he got to College Park Turgeon noticed a thicket of weeds right away, Rafael. Maryland has a lot of drama in their athletic department.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2013-0 ... ll-stoglin

Spinelli's experience — from nearly a dozen jobs at prep schools, at mid-major colleges, at major colleges, in the International Basketball League and in the NBA, where he served as a scout — makes him the perfect right-hand man for Turgeon.

Passionate like Turgeon, he's a key recruiter and teacher for the Terps, often preparing scouting reports on opponents. But there is a sense that his career arc is incomplete because he hasn't fulfilled his ambition of becoming a college head coach.

"We kid around," Spinelli said of he and Turgeon. "Coach says if we had just won that [Miami] game, 'You'd be a head coach right now.'"

Spinelli, who has a thick Boston accent and grew up an hour away from the city, recruited freshman Jake Layman and transfer Evan Smotrycz, who are both from Massachusetts. He also recruited Allen, transfer Logan Aronhalt and forward Damonte Dodd, who will enter the program next season. Smotrycz is is not eligible this season because of transfer rules.

Turgeon and Spinelli need to coach em up today against Duke.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1300 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:16 am

THEY DID IT!!!!!!

Dez Wells' draft stock is rising. Thirty points. Wow.

Maryland is looking like they want to leave the ACC with their middle finger up.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards