ImageImageImageImageImage

Allen Iverson to be traded to detroit?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Skins 2008
Ballboy
And1: 0

Allen Iverson to be traded to detroit? 

Post#1 » by Skins 2008 » Mon Nov 3, 2008 4:48 pm

Stephen A Smith is reporting that Allen Iverson will be traded to Detroit for Chauncy Billups and Antonio McDyess anyone know if this is true?
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

OT: Iverson traded to Nuggets for Billups/McDyess 

Post#2 » by Induveca » Mon Nov 3, 2008 4:50 pm

Solid move by Dumars. Iverson has a gigantic expiring contract, as does Rasheed Wallace. They just dumped a TON of salary with this deal. Apparently looking to do the same with Richard Hamilton.

Please god, let EJ be wise enough to bring Rip back to DC somehow. Dumars is dumping their guys while they still aren't that old and have value.

Stevenson/Etan/pick for Rip anyone? (one sided, impossible, but I still want Rip!)
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Allen Iverson to be traded to detroit? 

Post#3 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 3, 2008 4:51 pm

No. Why would Detroit do that?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#4 » by LyricalRico » Mon Nov 3, 2008 5:14 pm

Chauncey has gotten off to a slow start. Maybe Joe D is having buyer's remorse over the phat contract he gave him? Also McDyess looks like he's lost a step so far this year.

Regardless of how it affects them this year, it really makes Detroit a major player in free agency next summer. Even more so if Rip opts out.
Induveca
Head Coach

Post#5 » by Induveca » Mon Nov 3, 2008 5:16 pm

bulletproof_32
Sixth Man
And1: 40

Post#6 » by bulletproof_32 » Mon Nov 3, 2008 5:22 pm

Here's a Link. ESPN is also reporting it.

Timing wise, this just seems odd. Why not either make the move before the season or wait until the trading deadline (or at least December)? Two games into the season though?

AI and Sheed total nearly 35M in expiring contracts. Wow.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#7 » by LyricalRico » Mon Nov 3, 2008 5:29 pm

bulletproof_32 wrote:Timing wise, this just seems odd. Why not either make the move before the season or wait until the trading deadline (or at least December)? Two games into the season though?

^ I agree that the timing is off. Denver sure does add a lot of salary. But they do get better defensively so maybe that's what they needed to compliment Melo and JR Smith.

bulletproof_32 wrote:AI and Sheed total nearly 35M in expiring contracts. Wow.

I made the same point. Me thinks this is a deal for the future in Detroit. The vets seem a bit satisfied and I think Curry wants to build the team around guys like Stuckey, Prince, Maxiell, and Amir Johnson. This allows them to stay competitive this year while also setting themselves up to rebuild over the next two offseasons.

That being said, Iverson's hunger for a championship could be just the thing to ignite this group for one more run.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#8 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 3, 2008 5:33 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Chauncey has gotten off to a slow start. Maybe Joe D is having buyer's remorse over the phat contract he gave him? Also McDyess looks like he's lost a step so far this year.

Regardless of how it affects them this year, it really makes Detroit a major player in free agency next summer. Even more so if Rip opts out.

Those sound like pretty good reasons. Interesting. And Denver needs a change in chemistry, though I don't think Billups would be happy there.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Induveca
Head Coach

Post#9 » by Induveca » Mon Nov 3, 2008 5:36 pm

Ruzious wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:Chauncey has gotten off to a slow start. Maybe Joe D is having buyer's remorse over the phat contract he gave him? Also McDyess looks like he's lost a step so far this year.

Those sound like pretty good reasons. Interesting. And Denver needs a change in chemistry, though I don't think Billups would be happy there.

Billups is from Colorado, played many seasons there to begin with after Celtics/Pitino agreed to trade him home. He had mentioned in the offseason if he couldn't finish his career in Detroit he'd love to do so home in Colorado.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#10 » by fishercob » Mon Nov 3, 2008 5:39 pm

Detroit clearly just doing whatever they can to get Kwame minutes.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#11 » by fishercob » Mon Nov 3, 2008 5:41 pm

This deal would look much better for the Nuggs if they hadn't given Camby away in the offseason, no?
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#12 » by Higga » Mon Nov 3, 2008 5:56 pm

Billups is exactly what Denver needs; a smart vet with championship experience who can keep clowns like Melo under control.

Didn't really see why Detroit would want AI until I read about the expiring contracts. Wow...$35 Mil a ton. I guess they want in on the Lebron sweepstakes too...
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,447

Post#13 » by mhd » Mon Nov 3, 2008 5:57 pm

I don't like it for Detroit. Stuckey is the future, but IMO, Billups is a better fit. Rip and AI are redundant. Rip is a more efficient scorer. Very odd trade.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#14 » by LyricalRico » Mon Nov 3, 2008 6:03 pm

fishercob wrote:This deal would look much better for the Nuggs if they hadn't given Camby away in the offseason, no?

:nod:
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#15 » by Dat2U » Mon Nov 3, 2008 6:04 pm

fishercob wrote:This deal would look much better for the Nuggs if they hadn't given Camby away in the offseason, no?

Hell yeah it would. Denver would really be a contender then, but I think this deal does make them better. J.R. Smith is just ready to breakout and moving Iverson for a guy that dominates the ball less makes alot of sense. Billups while showing his age a bit is still a good floor leader.

I think Detroit is the real winner here. With Iverson & Rasheed Wallace's salaries coming off the cap next year the Pistons are setting themselves up to be a major player in the FA market allowing them to rebuild their team on the fly. Yet still, Iverson is certainly no slouch himself and they'll definitely remain very competitive in the short term.

Joe Dumars strikes again.

Ernie Grunfeld would be wise to steal a page from Dumars book and begin cleaning up the mess he's made with our roster. For all of Antawn Jamison's veteran "leadership", where has it gotten us the past 4 seasons?
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#16 » by Dat2U » Mon Nov 3, 2008 6:06 pm

mhd wrote:I don't like it for Detroit. Stuckey is the future, but IMO, Billups is a better fit. Rip and AI are redundant. Rip is a more efficient scorer. Very odd trade.

Your only looking at the short term implications. This deal was made with the offseason in mind. Iverson was acquired solely for his huge expiring contract.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#17 » by Higga » Mon Nov 3, 2008 6:08 pm

What I would give right now to get Jamison and Arenas's deals off our books. It looks like everyone outside of maybe four or five teams are setting themselves up for this summer's free agency...
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#18 » by Dat2U » Mon Nov 3, 2008 6:12 pm

Actually thinking about it, even in the short term its not a bad move. Iverson at SG, isn't a bad option with Stuckey, a tall combo guard who's been playing PG. Stuckey is the type of guy Iverson needs to play with. Detroit will still be very competitive. But it also probably means that Rip Hamilton's days in Detroit are also numbered.

Right now Detroit has a great smallball lineup:

PF Prince / Maxiell
SF R. Hamilton
C R. Wallace / A. Johnson
SG Iverson / Afflalo
PG Stuckey

That's a better lineup than alot of teams could trot out on a nightly basis.
GilArenas88
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Re: OT: Iverson traded to Nuggets for Billups/McDyess 

Post#19 » by GilArenas88 » Mon Nov 3, 2008 6:15 pm

OMG if we got RIP for Etan/Stevenson/ and a pick I'd be so happy.

I like Stevenson but you cant pass up on Rip

Our starting line-up when Gil is healthy:

PG:Gil
SG:Hamilton
SF:Butler
PF:Jamison
C:Blatche(When Haywoods back insert there)

Bench:
Young, Blatche(when Wood is back), McGee, Dixon, McGuire.

We'd have 4 excellent scorers in the starting lineup, and it would give Young a little more time to develope.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Re: OT: Iverson traded to Nuggets for Billups/McDyess 

Post#20 » by mohammed10 » Mon Nov 3, 2008 6:22 pm

GilArenas88 wrote:OMG if we got RIP for Etan/Stevenson/ and a pick I'd be so happy.

I like Stevenson but you cant pass up on Rip

Our starting line-up when Gil is healthy:

PG:Gil
SG:Hamilton
SF:Butler
PF:Jamison
C:Blatche(When Haywoods back insert there)

Bench:
Young, Blatche(when Wood is back), McGee, Dixon, McGuire.

We'd have 4 excellent scorers in the starting lineup, and it would give Young a little more time to develope.

Don't you mean if Arenas is healthy?
:o
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling

Return to Washington Wizards